HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers interested in Mogilny

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-10-2005, 11:16 PM
  #26
patastrophe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: out back in the shed
Country: United States
Posts: 1,094
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to patastrophe
you know, ive been a mogilny fan since i scored 168 goals in 40 games with him in ea nhl 95 for pc. speed burst past the goalie from the right corner! woot!

seriously, this is another if hes healthy and relatively cheap then why not situation. 2.5 mil a year for two years wouldnt be out of line for this guy.

patastrophe is offline  
Old
08-11-2005, 06:44 AM
  #27
justapantherfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sunrise, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 3,205
vCash: 500
I have seen more and more talk about the Panthers talking to him. You think with us bringing Gary, Martin and Joe here will help bring him here?

justapantherfan is offline  
Old
08-11-2005, 08:38 AM
  #28
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!
 
CatscratchFever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: O-hi-O
Country: United States
Posts: 2,543
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
Quote:
Originally Posted by justapantherfan
I have seen more and more talk about the Panthers talking to him. You think with us bringing Gary, Martin and Joe here will help bring him here?
The article in the Sun-Sentinel seems to think so.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/h...ports-panthers

CatscratchFever is offline  
Old
08-11-2005, 08:41 AM
  #29
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by justapantherfan
I have seen more and more talk about the Panthers talking to him. You think with us bringing Gary, Martin and Joe here will help bring him here?
Gary, Martin, and Joe? Wasn't that a song by Donovan?

"Anybody here/seen my old friend Gary/Can you tell me where he's gone
He scored lots of goals/but you know the good they die young/I just turn around he's gone."

Acadmus is offline  
Old
08-11-2005, 09:03 AM
  #30
justapantherfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sunrise, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 3,205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatscratchFever
The article in the Sun-Sentinel seems to think so.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/h...ports-panthers

I seen that also so I was wondering if anyone heard something else other then from the Sun-Sentinel.

justapantherfan is offline  
Old
08-11-2005, 09:33 AM
  #31
Clash*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: Ireland
Posts: 5,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus
Gary, Martin, and Joe? Wasn't that a song by Donovan?

"Anybody here/seen my old friend Gary/Can you tell me where he's gone
He scored lots of goals/but you know the good they die young/I just turn around he's gone."
You're a tree huggin hippie, aren't you Acadmus? Altho "Sunshine Superman" is a pretty rockin tune.


BTW, that early 90's band whose CD is hard to find, it wouldn't happen to have been the Spin Doctors would it?

Clash* is offline  
Old
08-11-2005, 09:40 AM
  #32
Crossbar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 48" above the ice
Posts: 5,117
vCash: 500
http://washingtontimes.com/sports/20...5533-9195r.htm

Quote:
Right wing Alexander Mogilny, 36 and a free agent, reportedly has narrowed his choices to Florida or Washington. The Caps, however, would not confirm any discussions with him.

Crossbar is offline  
Old
08-11-2005, 09:43 AM
  #33
Dropkick Alex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Amherst, New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar
ALMO!

Dropkick Alex is offline  
Old
08-11-2005, 09:55 AM
  #34
Crossbar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 48" above the ice
Posts: 5,117
vCash: 500
Getting a chance to play with Ovechkin must sound appealing to Mogilny.

Crossbar is offline  
Old
08-11-2005, 09:59 AM
  #35
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner
 
JonathanHuberdoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Towanna
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,021
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
I really wouldn't want to face him 8 times this season.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline  
Old
08-11-2005, 10:56 AM
  #36
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
Mogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 9,981
vCash: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar
Getting a chance to play with Ovechkin must sound appealing to Mogilny.
Thats about it.. I really think Mogilny would pick Florida over Washington. Mogilny loves the sun (malibu home base for many many years), panthers are an team seriously trying to improve something Caps aint doing and Panthers have many of Mogilny's friends. 2-3 years with Florida would be an nice downpayment for an new Florida home

Mogo is offline  
Old
08-11-2005, 11:50 AM
  #37
jrockett1096
Registered User
 
jrockett1096's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Miami
Country: United States
Posts: 874
vCash: 500
At this point signing a player who has ANY experience scoring points would be a good move by the panthers, cause all we have to count on is potential of our players to score and nothing else tangible to look at. So signing Mogilny would be very positive as long as its not for much money and for not to many years. I just hope if we do sign him, the money he gets better not be comparable to other players who were better and younger than he is, and if i may add available.

jrockett1096 is offline  
Old
08-11-2005, 11:51 AM
  #38
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashCitiRockr
You're a tree huggin hippie, aren't you Acadmus? Altho "Sunshine Superman" is a pretty rockin tune.


BTW, that early 90's band whose CD is hard to find, it wouldn't happen to have been the Spin Doctors would it?
Well, I AM wearing my "CCCP" t-shirt right now...but I'm also listening to a streaming feed of Rush Limbaugh...hmmm...

I also just got my hair cut. My standard instructions to the hairdresser "cut it short enough to last a while." I hate paying $15 on a haircut that cost $6 ten years ago at the same place.

I DO have that Spin Doctors CD, though, but hated other acts like Rusted Root, 311, and Uncle Tupelo, deriding them as "hippy crap" - and I'm also a hockey fan. Do hippies like sports? I also used to watch Winston Cup NASCAR, but lost interest after Earnhardt died. So I can't be a hippy...but I attended UVM, so I must be a hippy...oh, what to think!!?!?

Funny, Clash...I had you pegged as being a beady-eyed liberal myself, hunched in your bedroom computer station typing out conspiracy theories on all the chat rooms


On a thread-related note, if Mogilny does not = Ciccarelli, I'm all for it (read injury issues).

Also, if Mogilny plays more responsibly than Pavel Bure...that's the other issue. Pavel set our prospects back two-three years as it was by setting a bad example...scoring one goal for every two against, and then once in a while laying a crushing backcheck on someone just to rub it in the coach's nose that he could play a two-way game if he wanted to...


Last edited by Acadmus: 08-11-2005 at 11:56 AM.
Acadmus is offline  
Old
08-11-2005, 12:00 PM
  #39
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker
 
Desert Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Frisco, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 2,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Funny, Clash...I had you pegged as being a beady-eyed liberal myself, hunched in your bedroom computer station typing out conspiracy theories on all the chat rooms
Yes, that it right. You can find him at "alt dot loser dot obsessive dot conspiracy"

Desert Panther is offline  
Old
08-11-2005, 12:03 PM
  #40
Clint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Clint
I'm not against signing Mogilny. As jrockett said, at this point we need ANY scoring we can get. But is he still a reliable scorer? IIRC he had a pretty nasty hip injury in '04, and looking at his stats now, he scored only 8 goals in 37 games.

Clint is offline  
Old
08-11-2005, 12:08 PM
  #41
m2k2p
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Posts: 596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint
I'm not against signing Mogilny. As jrockett said, at this point we need ANY scoring we can get. But is he still a reliable scorer? IIRC he had a pretty nasty hip injury in '04, and looking at his stats now, he scored only 8 goals in 37 games.
I wonder about his health too, but he has had a long time to recover from his previous hip injury. I say sign him for a deal around (might take a little more) what we are paying Roberts and Niewy for a year or two.

m2k2p is offline  
Old
08-11-2005, 12:54 PM
  #42
ratmanfu
Registered User
 
ratmanfu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hendersonville, NC
Country: Spain
Posts: 8,402
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrockett1096
I just hope if we do sign him, the money he gets better not be comparable to other players who were better and younger than he is, and if i may add available.

Yeah, but were any them ever willing to come here? I mean, c'mon, Mogilny is still deciding between Caps and us. The Caps...you know...that team whose GM has basically decided to completely thrown in the towel for the entire season.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus
I also just got my hair cut. My standard instructions to the hairdresser "cut it short enough to last a while." I hate paying $15 on a haircut that cost $6 ten years ago at the same place.
ROFL

I hear ya. But I got one better for you...I go to a barber shop that only charges $7, so I don't have to reminisce about cheaper haircuts back in the olden days.

To boot, I'm only 34 years old, but I just got my AARP membership card in the mail a couple days ago. Gave my wife a good chuckle.

ratmanfu is offline  
Old
08-11-2005, 01:16 PM
  #43
FlaPanthers7
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Country: France
Posts: 4,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo
Thats about it.. I really think Mogilny would pick Florida over Washington. Mogilny loves the sun (malibu home base for many many years), panthers are an team seriously trying to improve something Caps aint doing and Panthers have many of Mogilny's friends. 2-3 years with Florida would be an nice downpayment for an new Florida home
Very logical. Why go to Washington to play alongside Ovechkin and lose (also get killed by Biron and any opposing team on a given night) when he can play alongside his Toronto teammates in Niewy and Roberts and possibly help a young team make a playoff run? Florida just makes more sense (unless you throw in dollars and the Caps are willing to pay him more or give him a longer contract).

As long as it's a 1 or 2 year deal, I really hope this goes down and Mogilny is a Panther this season! Then we'll truly have the Century Village line!!!

FlaPanthers7 is offline  
Old
08-11-2005, 01:18 PM
  #44
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner
 
JonathanHuberdoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Towanna
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,021
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
What I see happening is what happens with a lot of free agents. ALMO will sign with a team that wasn't even rumored to be in the running for him, leaving Florida empty handed.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline  
Old
08-11-2005, 01:57 PM
  #45
Clash*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: Ireland
Posts: 5,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatmanReturns
Yeah, but were any them ever willing to come here? I mean, c'mon, Mogilny is still deciding between Caps and us. The Caps...you know...that team whose GM has basically decided to completely thrown in the towel for the entire season.
That wasn't the GM who has mailed in the season already. That was the owner, who came out like five minutes after the CBA was announced and proclaimed that the Caps would carry a twenty-one to twenty four million dollar cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus
Funny, Clash...I had you pegged as being a beady-eyed liberal myself, hunched in your bedroom computer station typing out conspiracy theories on all the chat rooms
Nah, far from bein a liberal, yet far from bein a Nazi, err Republican. You see, I'm one of those people that others hate, cause I tell it like it is. I love to crush people's dream worlds by introducing them to reality. Conspiract theorists tend to live in the woods, sticks, mountains, hidin from reality. Hmm, come to think of it, sounds like Vermont.


Last edited by Clash*: 08-11-2005 at 02:12 PM.
Clash* is offline  
Old
08-11-2005, 01:58 PM
  #46
Kenadyan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Asheboro, NC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,136
vCash: 500
What I find so hilarious is that in the past, everyone rips on Toronto for signing "old" players and being an "old" team, and yet once their "grey beards" become UFA's, teams (in this case Florida) line up to offer them big contracts (and yes $2.25 mil/yr for two years each for Roberts and Nieuwendyk are big contracts for a 38 and 39 yr old player).

Now the Panthers are looking at signing a 35 year old Mogilny coming off a bad hip injury!!




Two things:

1. Yes, I would have liked to have seen Roberts back with the Leafs this season, but not at the contract the Panthers signed him for.
2. If Mogilny were anywhere near healthy (despite what his agent says about him being "almost 100%"), the Leafs would have re-signed him at the "discount" he talked about (he likes playing on Sundin's line).

P.S. Just so you don't think I'm ripping on all of Florida's signings, I do think Gelinas was a good signing. He still has some good wheels.

Kenadyan is offline  
Old
08-11-2005, 02:32 PM
  #47
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashCitiRockr
Nah, far from bein a liberal, yet far from bein a Nazi, err Republican.
You sure you're not a liberal? Usually they're the only ones confusing Republicans with Nazis.
Quote:
You see, I'm one of those people that others hate, cause I tell it like it is. I love to crush people's dream worlds by introducing them to reality.
So, the only reality you introduce them to is the kind that crushes dreams? You're a cup-half-empty type, aren't you

Quote:
Conspiract theorists tend to live in the woods, sticks, mountains, hidin from reality. Hmm, come to think of it, sounds like Vermont.
Parts of it...but they also hide from reality deep in swamps or in the governing associations of retirement communities...like in Florida...

After all, where else would you find people saying that 4,000 ballots cast by people too incompetent to vote properly when something like 3 million people in the state could meant that George Bush lost the election and became an illegitimate President.

But...I'm lighting a match in an oil field there...better cool this down...put it on ice...hockey ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenadyan
What I find so hilarious is that in the past, everyone rips on Toronto for signing "old" players and being an "old" team, and yet once their "grey beards" become UFA's, teams (in this case Florida) line up to offer them big contracts
A move made by the team, not the "everyone" you mention, and those people remain consistent by ripping team management for making said move.

Don't get me wrong, signing these players is something the Panthers, who were the second or third youngest team in the league and had only one over-30 player by the end of last season, needed. But they were needed for their experience and tutalage for our youngsters, not to be the go-to guys for the team. Meanwhile, we're still ripping on management for appearing to have decided that they ARE the go-to guys for the team.

Also notice that Florida's the only team that did sign large numbers of grey beards (Hill before lockout, now Nieuwy, Roberts, and Gelly).

Acadmus is offline  
Old
08-11-2005, 04:00 PM
  #48
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
Mogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 9,981
vCash: 813
I'd like to point out Mogilny is an very good defensive players these days too. Very underrated. He time to times even checks come playoffs he does that alot if not torn up. Mogilny is also a great mentor I cant remember was it Antropov or which Russian Mogilny took under his wing, taught him english and showed him aroudn the ropes and even let him live at his house. Mogilny has opted to not play for team Russia anymore because he has said he wants to rather give the kids an chance to play than some old beat up mule.

Mogo is offline  
Old
08-11-2005, 04:01 PM
  #49
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
Mogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 9,981
vCash: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenadyan
What I find so hilarious is that in the past, everyone rips on Toronto for signing "old" players and being an "old" team, and yet once their "grey beards" become UFA's, teams (in this case Florida) line up to offer them big contracts (and yes $2.25 mil/yr for two years each for Roberts and Nieuwendyk are big contracts for a 38 and 39 yr old player).

Now the Panthers are looking at signing a 35 year old Mogilny coming off a bad hip injury!!




Two things:

1. Yes, I would have liked to have seen Roberts back with the Leafs this season, but not at the contract the Panthers signed him for.
2. If Mogilny were anywhere near healthy (despite what his agent says about him being "almost 100%"), the Leafs would have re-signed him at the "discount" he talked about (he likes playing on Sundin's line).

P.S. Just so you don't think I'm ripping on all of Florida's signings, I do think Gelinas was a good signing. He still has some good wheels.

Toronto fan? I wouldnt say anything.. You have signed two jellybrains so far.. way to go!

Mogo is offline  
Old
08-11-2005, 04:16 PM
  #50
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat
 
PantherboyHTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Blue Jay Nation...
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo
I'd like to point out Mogilny is an very good defensive players these days too. Very underrated. He time to times even checks come playoffs he does that alot if not torn up. Mogilny is also a great mentor I cant remember was it Antropov or which Russian Mogilny took under his wing, taught him english and showed him aroudn the ropes and even let him live at his house. Mogilny has opted to not play for team Russia anymore because he has said he wants to rather give the kids an chance to play than some old beat up mule.
Playing in the Devils system with their 2000 (?) cup team I am sure did nothing but help his defensive game, Good point.

PantherboyHTR is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.