HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

HF Top 50 Prospects: The Entire List as well as #51-90

Closed Thread

Old
08-10-2005, 07:55 PM
David A. Rainer

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
My stab at who will be in the top 25:
Didn't want to post it on the prospects board when I saw your post in there, but you are damn close. Eliminate one player from your list and remove the or between Kostsitsyn and Perezhogin.

08-10-2005, 08:04 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Rainer
Didn't want to post it on the prospects board when I saw your post in there, but you are damn close. Eliminate one player from your list and remove the or between Kostsitsyn and Perezhogin.
I would say remove Perry, as the Ducks have only one prospect in the top 25. He had a great season in the OHL, but Getzlaf did more on a less stacked team. But it could go either way.

Edit: A few questions, Dave, if you would indulge me
1. Any discussions yet as to team rankings? Or are you guys taking a (much deserved) break?
a. If no, do you think what the Kings have done in this draft, compared to other teams, will have a good chance to boost their rankings?

2. How do these discussions of the top prospects take place? Is there some sort of poll, or do you guys literally just hash out every option at each position for a long time? Is the process similar to Team rankings?

3. Do these rankings affect how you personally rank the prospects in our system in any way?

Thanks a lot for all your hard work! I look forward to the articles you, Jeff, and John will be putting up in the near future!

Last edited by King'sPawn: 08-10-2005 at 08:11 PM.
Old
08-10-2005, 08:11 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Probably Michalek or Kesler then. Just noticed I only had four teams with no prospects (St. Louis, Colorado, Phoenix, Tampa Bay) in the top 50 instead of five teams.

Old
08-10-2005, 08:15 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn
I would say remove Perry, as the Ducks have only one prospect in the top 25. He had a great season in the OHL, but Getzlaf did more on a less stacked team. But it could go either way.
The Ducks will have three prospects in the top 50, as stated in the article. Only Ryan has showed up so far. Getzlaf, Perry, and Smid are the logical candidates for the Ducks, with only two making the top 25. Getzlaf's a given, and, with Schremp's high placement, HF would seem more likely to select his high-scoring London Knight teammate.

Old
08-10-2005, 08:16 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Oh yeah. For some reason I thought they had two listed already

It's probably Michalek then, due to injuries.

Old
08-10-2005, 08:32 PM
David A. Rainer

Quote:
1. Any discussions yet as to team rankings? Or are you guys taking a (much deserved) break?
a. If no, do you think what the Kings have done in this draft, compared to other teams, will have a good chance to boost their rankings?
There will be a mid-season re-rank of both lists.

Quote:
2. How do these discussions of the top prospects take place? Is there some sort of poll, or do you guys literally just hash out every option at each position for a long time? Is the process similar to Team rankings?
It is actually a process over about 2 months. It begins with a committee of 7 writers, all from different back-grounds, different areas of NA and covering different prospects (so that one area isn't more represented than others). Each submits a preliminary list of 100 prospects to be considered. If you don't make any of the preliminary lists of 100, there is no way in hell you would ever make any Top 50 list so it is rather useless to cry over who was or wasn't included from the very beginning. Once the lists are combined, it will yield about 140-160 prospects. One by one, over the span of a couple of days on instant messaging, we pile over all 160 (well, actually, the top 40 from the combined lists make it past the first round by default so we don't bother talking about them). At that point, we narrow down the 160 prospects to about 75. From those 75, we each submit a final list of our Top 50. When combining the lists, the highest vote and lowest vote for each prospect is thrown out to ensure that someone who might champion or unfairly punish a particular prospect for personal reasons does not infect the list. The list is then submitted to the rest of the staff for review. This allows specific area writers like Johan or Pekka to provide their input. Everyone provides their feedback and we take their arguments under consideration. Some tinkering is done based upon the considerations. After that, the final product is completed. In fact, the 2005 draftees were added to the list before they were even drafted so no one knew the Kings would end up with 4 on the list (it just happened that way when Kopitar landed in their laps).

Quote:
3. Do these rankings affect how you personally rank the prospects in our system in any way?
Not in the least. Although the Kings Top 20 prospects still needs to be re-ranked. There are two different sets of criteria going on. The Top 50 list is based almost purely on potential (thus Schremp being high to others dismay) first then looking at likelihood of reaching their potential. The Kings Top 20 is a mixture of potential, likelihood of reaching potential, and a smidgeon of nearness to the NHL. As a result, Gleason would be higher on the Kings Top 20 rankings even though I left him off completely from my Top 50 list.

Old
08-10-2005, 10:17 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Wow.

Anyone who complains about someone not being there needs to give their head a shake, because it sounds like a lot of work!

Thanks for taking the time to explain!

Old
08-10-2005, 10:37 PM
AnThGrt

Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob
How can Kopitar be in the top 50 and not Grebeshkov. According to some posters here Kopitar is overhyped and doesn't deserve to be ranked that high.
Many hate him because he dropped so people think he sucks now or because there team was on of the teams who passed on him and now they are pissed off. As for being overhyped he has the most potential out of anyone on our team and i believe will be out best player in the future onyl comparison i've heard but heard a few times is Heatley

Old
08-10-2005, 11:00 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnThGrt
Many hate him because he dropped so people think he sucks now or because there team was on of the teams who passed on him and now they are pissed off. As for being overhyped he has the most potential out of anyone on our team and i believe will be out best player in the future onyl comparison i've heard but heard a few times is Heatley
Actually I am sorry that my sarcasm was not apparant. I was making a little reference to some people who ranked Grebeshkov over Kopitar just because we haven't seen Anze play. Don't get me wrong. I think Grebeshkov is a great player. I just think/hope Kopitar will be a better player.

Old
08-10-2005, 11:20 PM
dafranchz

Quote:

That was pretty good....I think he is a spy....lol!

J/K..nice work Sam.

Old
08-10-2005, 11:57 PM
AnThGrt

Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob
Actually I am sorry that my sarcasm was not apparant. I was making a little reference to some people who ranked Grebeshkov over Kopitar just because we haven't seen Anze play. Don't get me wrong. I think Grebeshkov is a great player. I just think/hope Kopitar will be a better player.
Wasn't sure - the other person meant it though // Ya its same as Tukonen now how on our poll he is going to be #7 he will be higher on the actual Kings list just because no one sees these people and only hears random stuff and makes opinions based on that

Old
08-11-2005, 12:34 AM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
It is actually a process over about 2 months. It begins with a committee of 7 writers, all from different back-grounds, different areas of NA and covering different prospects (so that one area isn't more represented than others). Each submits a preliminary list of 100 prospects to be considered. If you don't make any of the preliminary lists of 100, there is no way in hell you would ever make any Top 50 list so it is rather useless to cry over who was or wasn't included from the very beginning. Once the lists are combined, it will yield about 140-160 prospects. One by one, over the span of a couple of days on instant messaging, we pile over all 160 (well, actually, the top 40 from the combined lists make it past the first round by default so we don't bother talking about them). At that point, we narrow down the 160 prospects to about 75. From those 75, we each submit a final list of our Top 50. When combining the lists, the highest vote and lowest vote for each prospect is thrown out to ensure that someone who might champion or unfairly punish a particular prospect for personal reasons does not infect the list. The list is then submitted to the rest of the staff for review. This allows specific area writers like Johan or Pekka to provide their input. Everyone provides their feedback and we take their arguments under consideration. Some tinkering is done based upon the considerations. After that, the final product is completed. In fact, the 2005 draftees were added to the list before they were even drafted so no one knew the Kings would end up with 4 on the list (it just happened that way when Kopitar landed in their laps).
Quote:
Anyone who complains about someone not being there needs to give their head a shake, because it sounds like a lot of work!
Yeah, this project must have taken a lot of time and hard work, and we all appreciate it.
Quote:
Gleason would be higher on the Kings Top 20 rankings even though I left him off completely from my Top 50 list.
Whaaaa? Disregard the previous statement and tar and feather the blasphemer.

Old
08-11-2005, 12:50 AM
Venom_17

7 in "on the bubble" and top 50, that's pretty amazing considering our highest draft position in the last 7 years has been what, 11th?

Old
08-11-2005, 04:34 PM
David A. Rainer

#11-25 is now available.

http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php...readed&order=0

Old
08-11-2005, 04:47 PM
jt

Brown at #22 seems about right.

Old
08-11-2005, 08:04 PM
Game Misconduct

I love this site, and I hate to say it, but I have always thought the HF 1-100 rankings are way off. I'd be curious to see some from 5 and 6 years ago and see how accurate they turned out to be.

The biggest thing that strikes me every year is that current hype for recently drafted players always drives them in front of players who were ranked higher the previous year based on the same hype.

Old
08-12-2005, 09:36 PM
hattrick74

Quote:
You only need one to develop beyond expectations
like frolov in 2000? he was picked #20, i and would re-draft him at #3 behind heatley and gaborik

Old
08-13-2005, 01:13 PM
David A. Rainer

#1-10 are not posted. No real surprises. Top 10

And the best of the rest (Top 15 goalies, Top 30 Dmen, Top 45 Forwards) Best of the Rest

Closed Thread