HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

The 2014-2015 Boston Celtics/NBA Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-23-2014, 01:44 PM
  #26
kman22
Registered User
 
kman22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
Julius Randle is the guy I'd love to see the Celtics get- but an interesting player who just seems like he fits what we want as a Celtics player is the kid from Creighton- McDermott. Seems like he has a lot of Bird-like traits
I'm hoping for a lot of draft luck. A top three pick and find a way to move up and snag Marcus Smart somewhere between 9-13. Miracles can happen.

kman22 is offline  
Old
02-23-2014, 05:27 PM
  #27
SPV
Zoinks!
 
SPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Country: United States
Posts: 4,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mione134 View Post
I don't want us to tank. It seems everyone is hung up on this draft. There is no guarantee that the players will pan out. I'd be leery on it.

Still think Kevin Love is coming here. If he does, watch out.
The one thing that is very different this time around is that there are a few guys that could make a difference. We don't have to win the lottery or bust this year; like with Duncan and Durant.

I don't know if any of them will be superstars; but grabbing one of those top guys will help us to turn it around quicker

SPV is offline  
Old
02-24-2014, 10:24 PM
  #28
Shaun
beauty
 
Shaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Italy
Posts: 21,146
vCash: 50


tank city

Shaun is offline  
Old
02-24-2014, 10:28 PM
  #29
kman22
Registered User
 
kman22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
Another game, another loss against a bad team.

The Celtics are now within two games of the third place (in reverse standings) Magic. Boston will face playoff teams in their next three games, while Orlando will play Philly twice in their next four games.

kman22 is offline  
Old
02-24-2014, 10:52 PM
  #30
CDJ*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cape Cod
Country: United States
Posts: 8,595
vCash: 500
tank tank tank tank tank tank


Olynyk looked nice doe.

CDJ* is offline  
Old
02-24-2014, 11:44 PM
  #31
bostonphoenix
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,280
vCash: 500
Sat next to a guy wearing a celts jersey. He was awfully sore we lost. But he's an Aussie and doesn't understand the nba.

I hope for a good draft and good close games which we lose.

It's been interesting to see the kids play this season.

bostonphoenix is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 12:04 PM
  #32
Shaun
beauty
 
Shaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Italy
Posts: 21,146
vCash: 50
suspend him the rest of the season

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...am-discipline/

Shaun is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 12:52 PM
  #33
Gator Mike
 
Gator Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Woburn, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,932
vCash: 500
The problem with the tank, is this isn't a situation where you're going to end up with a Kevin Durant or a LeBron James

EVERY player in this draft has warts... reasons why success at the college level may not translate to the pros.

Right now, they'd have the 4th pick in the draft, I believe. Let's assume that everyone who's expected to declare decides to come out. The top 3 are likely Embiid, Parker, and Wiggins in somer order.

Julius Randle is the consensus 4th pick. Only Randle duplicates a lot of what the Celtics already get with Jared Sullinger. He's a bit more athletic, and a bit better in the post, but doesn't have nearly the range Sullinger has with his jump shot.

Neither Dante Exum nor Marcus Smart has shown the ability to make shots from the perimeter on a consistent basis. You'd have to project that they will learn how to shoot better from the outside.

Noah Vonleh's a terrific rebounder and defender, but his offensive game has a LONG way to go. He's probably years away from being a starter in the NBA.

Aaron Gordon can do a lot of different things, but he's not a great scorer, and he's also nowhere near a consistent perimeter shooter, as well as being Shaquille O'Neal-level bad from the FT line.

...and those are the consensus next four guys.

The best that can be said about this draft class is that there are a TON of players who are pretty intriguing, and who should/could be good NBA players. But there are very few sure things.

Gator Mike is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 12:58 PM
  #34
qc
Registered User
 
qc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Caphell, MA
Posts: 9,248
vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
What a captain.

qc is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 01:00 PM
  #35
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean
 
11MilesPerJohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: McLean Hospital
Country: United States
Posts: 2,027
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC View Post
What a captain.
This certainly doesn't help his trade value.

11MilesPerJohan is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 01:13 PM
  #36
Shaun
beauty
 
Shaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Italy
Posts: 21,146
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Mike View Post
The problem with the tank, is this isn't a situation where you're going to end up with a Kevin Durant or a LeBron James

EVERY player in this draft has warts... reasons why success at the college level may not translate to the pros.

Right now, they'd have the 4th pick in the draft, I believe. Let's assume that everyone who's expected to declare decides to come out. The top 3 are likely Embiid, Parker, and Wiggins in somer order.

Julius Randle is the consensus 4th pick. Only Randle duplicates a lot of what the Celtics already get with Jared Sullinger. He's a bit more athletic, and a bit better in the post, but doesn't have nearly the range Sullinger has with his jump shot.

Neither Dante Exum nor Marcus Smart has shown the ability to make shots from the perimeter on a consistent basis. You'd have to project that they will learn how to shoot better from the outside.

Noah Vonleh's a terrific rebounder and defender, but his offensive game has a LONG way to go. He's probably years away from being a starter in the NBA.

Aaron Gordon can do a lot of different things, but he's not a great scorer, and he's also nowhere near a consistent perimeter shooter, as well as being Shaquille O'Neal-level bad from the FT line.

...and those are the consensus next four guys.

The best that can be said about this draft class is that there are a TON of players who are pretty intriguing, and who should/could be good NBA players. But there are very few sure things.
Even if they don't get a top 3 pick it's still a valuable trade asset which Ainge needs to acquire the next great Celtics superstar.

Shaun is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 02:26 PM
  #37
kman22
Registered User
 
kman22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Mike View Post
The problem with the tank, is this isn't a situation where you're going to end up with a Kevin Durant or a LeBron James

EVERY player in this draft has warts... reasons why success at the college level may not translate to the pros.

Right now, they'd have the 4th pick in the draft, I believe. Let's assume that everyone who's expected to declare decides to come out. The top 3 are likely Embiid, Parker, and Wiggins in somer order.

Julius Randle is the consensus 4th pick. Only Randle duplicates a lot of what the Celtics already get with Jared Sullinger. He's a bit more athletic, and a bit better in the post, but doesn't have nearly the range Sullinger has with his jump shot.

Neither Dante Exum nor Marcus Smart has shown the ability to make shots from the perimeter on a consistent basis. You'd have to project that they will learn how to shoot better from the outside.

Noah Vonleh's a terrific rebounder and defender, but his offensive game has a LONG way to go. He's probably years away from being a starter in the NBA.

Aaron Gordon can do a lot of different things, but he's not a great scorer, and he's also nowhere near a consistent perimeter shooter, as well as being Shaquille O'Neal-level bad from the FT line.

...and those are the consensus next four guys.

The best that can be said about this draft class is that there are a TON of players who are pretty intriguing, and who should/could be good NBA players. But there are very few sure things.
The lottery is a lot different in basketball. They could finish last and pick 4th, or vice versa. Lebron or Durant, maybe not, but one of the top three would go a long way in rebuilding.

kman22 is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 04:45 PM
  #38
CDJ*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cape Cod
Country: United States
Posts: 8,595
vCash: 500
It was a scheduled off day for Rondo, he knew he wasn't playing. Should still be fined, but I don't really look at it as a big deal. Essentially my point is, if management doesn't care about the performance on the court why should Rondo bother showing up? It's not like he'd be watching a victory.

CDJ* is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 04:51 PM
  #39
CDJ*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cape Cod
Country: United States
Posts: 8,595
vCash: 500
I want no part of Julius Randle. The dude is pretty athletic for a guy his size, but his wingspan is under 7 feet. For comparison's sake, Bass is 7'2''. Going up in the trees is difficult at the NBA level with T-Rex arms.

He also leaves A LOT to be desired on the defensive end. I'd honestly go Smart at 4 over him.

Guys with length will eat Randle up. Even Isiah Austin of Baylor (a guy I'd look at with our 2nd first rounder) was eating him up and he has no polish at all offensively other than an average jumper.

EDIT: If Memphis ever changes their mind on Marc Gasol and moves him, however, then I would actually love Randle paired with him. See if we can sell them on the idea of Sullinger, Bradley and picks.

CDJ* is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 05:52 PM
  #40
kman22
Registered User
 
kman22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJ View Post
It was a scheduled off day for Rondo, he knew he wasn't playing. Should still be fined, but I don't really look at it as a big deal. Essentially my point is, if management doesn't care about the performance on the court why should Rondo bother showing up? It's not like he'd be watching a victory.
I say suspend him, partially to send a positive message to the guys who have been out there embarrassing themselves all season. But the real reason is that no Rondo means more losses (in theory).

kman22 is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 05:55 PM
  #41
Shaun
beauty
 
Shaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Italy
Posts: 21,146
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman22 View Post
I say suspend him, partially to send a positive message to the guys who have been out there embarrassing themselves all season. But the real reason is that no Rondo means more losses (in theory).
exactly let pressy run the point for a couple of games.

Shaun is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 06:04 PM
  #42
CDJ*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cape Cod
Country: United States
Posts: 8,595
vCash: 500
I'll tell you one thing, if Phil Pressey is good for one thing, it is helping an NBA team lose.

CDJ* is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 11:16 PM
  #43
Gator Mike
 
Gator Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Woburn, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Even if they don't get a top 3 pick it's still a valuable trade asset which Ainge needs to acquire the next great Celtics superstar.
FWIW, were I Ainge, I wouldn't trade the pick. But if it's 4th or lower... you've got to REALLY think about the direction you're going in. Picking 4th or 5th might actually make me more likely to trade Rondo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJ View Post
He also leaves A LOT to be desired on the defensive end. I'd honestly go Smart at 4 over him.
I'd go with Exum. Neither can shoot, but Exum doesn't appear to make as many poor decisions with the ball.

In fact, were I the Celtics, my Top 15 would look like this:

1. Joel Embiid, C, Kansas
2. Jabari Parker, SF, Duke
3. Andrew Wiggins, SF/SG, Kansas
4. Dante Exum, PG/SG, Australia
5. Julius Randle, PF, Kentucky
6. Noah Vonleh, PF/C, Indiana
7. Aaron Gordon, SF/PF, Arizona
8. Tyler Ennis, PG, Syracuse
9. Dario Saric, SF/PF, Croatia
10. Marcus Smart, PG, Oklahoma State
11. Gary Harris, SG, Michigan State
12. Jusuf Nurkic, C, Bosnia
13. Rodney Hood, SF, Duke
14. Doug McDermott, SF, Creighton
15. James Young, SG/SF, Kentucky

Gator Mike is offline  
Old
02-26-2014, 12:13 AM
  #44
MarshmontMcSlewfoot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Mike View Post
FWIW, were I Ainge, I wouldn't trade the pick. But if it's 4th or lower... you've got to REALLY think about the direction you're going in. Picking 4th or 5th might actually make me more likely to trade Rondo.


I'd go with Exum. Neither can shoot, but Exum doesn't appear to make as many poor decisions with the ball.

In fact, were I the Celtics, my Top 15 would look like this:

1. Joel Embiid, C, Kansas
2. Jabari Parker, SF, Duke
3. Andrew Wiggins, SF/SG, Kansas
4. Dante Exum, PG/SG, Australia
5. Julius Randle, PF, Kentucky
6. Noah Vonleh, PF/C, Indiana
7. Aaron Gordon, SF/PF, Arizona
8. Tyler Ennis, PG, Syracuse
9. Dario Saric, SF/PF, Croatia
10. Marcus Smart, PG, Oklahoma State
11. Gary Harris, SG, Michigan State
12. Jusuf Nurkic, C, Bosnia
13. Rodney Hood, SF, Duke
14. Doug McDermott, SF, Creighton
15. James Young, SG/SF, Kentucky
You trade Rondo to double tank next season like Philly is doing this year to get another star to go with Nerlins and MCW.

I don't want to trade him but its not a bad move. Say its draft night- you trade Rondo your getting an extra good pick that night on top of the 2 we already have PLUS Celts pick next year becomes guaranteed top 5.


I'd love to trade him and then have him resign the following summer as a UFA with a few stud players.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline  
Old
02-26-2014, 06:40 AM
  #45
CDJ*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cape Cod
Country: United States
Posts: 8,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Mike View Post
FWIW, were I Ainge, I wouldn't trade the pick. But if it's 4th or lower... you've got to REALLY think about the direction you're going in. Picking 4th or 5th might actually make me more likely to trade Rondo.


I'd go with Exum. Neither can shoot, but Exum doesn't appear to make as many poor decisions with the ball.

In fact, were I the Celtics, my Top 15 would look like this:

1. Joel Embiid, C, Kansas
2. Jabari Parker, SF, Duke
3. Andrew Wiggins, SF/SG, Kansas
4. Dante Exum, PG/SG, Australia
5. Julius Randle, PF, Kentucky
6. Noah Vonleh, PF/C, Indiana
7. Aaron Gordon, SF/PF, Arizona
8. Tyler Ennis, PG, Syracuse
9. Dario Saric, SF/PF, Croatia
10. Marcus Smart, PG, Oklahoma State
11. Gary Harris, SG, Michigan State
12. Jusuf Nurkic, C, Bosnia
13. Rodney Hood, SF, Duke
14. Doug McDermott, SF, Creighton
15. James Young, SG/SF, Kentucky
I like Exum a lot too- he's kind of a pure point at 6'6''. I look at Smart as more of a 2 similar to D-Wade.

Ennis wouldn't be bad either. Saric is going to rise if he enters and works out for teams. He is a big dude who can shoot and handle (6'9'' or so)

CDJ* is offline  
Old
02-26-2014, 07:06 AM
  #46
Shaun
beauty
 
Shaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Italy
Posts: 21,146
vCash: 50
I'm still hoping third times the charm and the Celtics finally win the lottery. I would imagine Ainge would pick Parker if he got the first pick but it would be hard to pass on Embiid and even Wiggins is starting to play well lately.

Shaun is offline  
Old
02-26-2014, 08:45 AM
  #47
Shaun
beauty
 
Shaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Italy
Posts: 21,146
vCash: 50
this could be interesting

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10...e-kyrie-irving

Shaun is offline  
Old
02-26-2014, 08:56 AM
  #48
qc
Registered User
 
qc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Caphell, MA
Posts: 9,248
vCash: 2000
So pumped for March Sadness. 12 of the 15 are must lose games. Stevens can lead us to the final four of lottery teams.

qc is offline  
Old
02-26-2014, 11:12 AM
  #49
Shaun
beauty
 
Shaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Italy
Posts: 21,146
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC View Post
So pumped for March Sadness. 12 of the 15 are must lose games. Stevens can lead us to the final four of lottery teams.

Shaun is offline  
Old
02-26-2014, 11:52 AM
  #50
CDJ*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cape Cod
Country: United States
Posts: 8,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Laziest defender I've ever seen. Could just be because he's in Cleveland though.

STAT: Only the Pacers, Bulls, and Thunder have better defenses than the Cavs do when Irving is NOT on the floor.

CDJ* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.