HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why are we keeping 27?

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2003, 10:07 AM
goldenchild

vCash: 500
Why are we keeping 27?

Why in the world are we letting this drag on for the entire pre-season? I heard this on the the pregame yesterday here in Vancouver that the Oilers will keep all 27 guys throughout the preseason and then make the final cuts before the season starts. This is the problem we had last year that too many guys were in and out of the lineup in preseason and the guys that made it hadn't played together. Not to mention the whole Comrie fiasco which I fear will drag on till sometime in Dec when they will make a deal that they could make today but will have lost half a season before pulling the trigger. I understand there are some tough decisions but I don't think 1 or 2 more pre-season games are needed to deciede 2 or 3 spots that they knew were up the first dy of camp. thoughts?

Old
10-01-2003, 10:24 AM
Ryno
BEHOLD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild
Why in the world are we letting this drag on for the entire pre-season? I heard this on the the pregame yesterday here in Vancouver that the Oilers will keep all 27 guys throughout the preseason and then make the final cuts before the season starts. This is the problem we had last year that too many guys were in and out of the lineup in preseason and the guys that made it hadn't played together. Not to mention the whole Comrie fiasco which I fear will drag on till sometime in Dec when they will make a deal that they could make today but will have lost half a season before pulling the trigger. I understand there are some tough decisions but I don't think 1 or 2 more pre-season games are needed to deciede 2 or 3 spots that they knew were up the first dy of camp. thoughts?
Geez, when I saw the title I thought you meant Georges Laraque.

Well, we still have a few preseason games to go, and the way some of these guys are playing it makes it very difficult to send them down. Not to mention guys like Ryan Smyth, Eric Brewer and Shawn Horcoff are nursing injuries right now.

I think the lines are set, it's just a matter of getting everyone healthy.

Old
10-01-2003, 10:33 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

i think they are keeping all 27 around simply because they are waiting for someone to play themselves off the team.

if u look at the forwards fighting for jobs, they have all played reasonably well.

Peter Sarno has proved that he is not a career AHL'er and has had some success, specially on PP.

Jani Rita has shown signs of brilliance and other signs of averageness. MacT would like to see Rita play him self on the team and erase all question marks, but he hasnt.

Jarrett Stoll has shown that he deserves a job on the big club, great 2 way foreward with offensive upside, and he's a cente, which might help him out.

Jamie Wright has played well, great character guy who might look good in our system.

Tony Salameinen has been impressive, showing his offense and game breaking speed.

Raffi Torres is a sparkplug, basically a shoe in after he signed the one way deal.

so to me it looks like MacT just can't decide what he wants, if he wants offense in the line up, then he might go with Sarno, Rita and Salameinen, if he wants more checking and pluggers, then maybe Wright, Stoll and Torres. The problem is he wants both so hes got to cut 3 guys upfront, and that would be alot easier to do if some guys played themselves off the team.

my guess is Torres, Salameinen and Rita stick. and if Rita doesnt work out he'll get packaged and shipped out. (i hope im wrong)

Old
10-01-2003, 10:38 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
There is no reason to trade Rita at all though.

If they are going to trade him just for the sake of trading him, that is stupid. It's not like he is at the end of his development, there is still tonnes he can learn in Toronto.

Based on what I have read, and listened to on the radio, It will probably be Torres, Stoll and Jamie Wright.

Wright is the perfect 13th forward, and that way Sarno and Rita (and maybe even Salmo) can be the #1 line in Toronto. Stoll has shown way too much value so far this camp (especially on the pk), to not have a spot. The reason I see Salmo going down is because him sitting doesn't help him as much as getting lots of ice-time in the AHL.

Old
10-01-2003, 10:39 AM
creative giant*

It's all about injuries. Smyth, Brewer, Horcoff are hurt. Allen is just recovering from his concussion and Dvorak has been in the Czech Republic for over a week.

I thought this was about Laraque as well.

Old
10-01-2003, 10:44 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

i was thinking laraque too. he'd have a point though, often times i wonder if he is just wasting one of our roster slots, then he has a great game and all is forgiven.

Old
10-01-2003, 10:44 AM
goldenchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno
Ha ha actually I am one of the few Oiler fans who thinks that would be a good idea so you're not far off.

I understand there are tough decisions to be made but I don't think 2 more games will make it any easier. In fact I think they already know who's on the team but the injuries is something I didn't think about and that makes sense to me. I would still rather have our team decieded with a couple ofgames to be spared.

Old
10-01-2003, 10:50 AM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild
Ha ha actually I am one of the few Oiler fans who thinks that would be a good idea so you're not far off.
you are not as alone as you may think. many oiler fans are starting to wonder why we keep him - especially with his new contract.

i'd rather see a solid two way player like wright get georges spot 4 out of 5 games... of course, that 5th game when georges actually shows up is something fun to watch.

so the debate rages on.

Old
10-01-2003, 10:55 AM
barto

And don't forget about *depth*. The Oilers will have guys injured this year, so we want to make sure we have guys that can be called up to fill in and at least not hurt the team's chances of winning. So trading away a guy like Rita hurts our depth (depending on what comes back in the trade, of course), as he's shown that he's nearly ready for a regular spot on the team.

I still see NO QUESTION that Torres is in the opening-night lineup - if nothing else because of his one-way deal.

Salmo has made things VERY interesting with his goal-scoring the last two games - burying some of his chances means a LOT at this stage and I could see it being the difference in keeping Rita vs. Salmo. Rita hasn't really buried his chances so far.

Stoll? Maybe, but I could easily see him starting in Toronto. Sarno or Wright would both be decent choices for the press-box guy while Stoll gets lots of playing time in all situations in Toronto.

Still some interesting choices to make, though.

Bart

Old
10-01-2003, 11:11 AM
Luoma

I think he is keeping the extra guys in the pre-season incase of injuries. Better to bring someone up that has played a few games with the team then have a team lose someone that they are used to playing with. Besides these guys are pro, it shouldn't take them long to get thier act togeather once the final lines are up.

Old
10-01-2003, 11:17 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Don't forget Smyth, Horcoff and Brewer are out with injuries and Bobby Allen is recovering from a concussion.

10-01-2003, 11:56 AM
Oilersyul89

Send a message via AIM to Oilersyul89 Send a message via Yahoo to Oilersyul89
well, the roadrunners will have some depth it seems ;-)

Old
10-01-2003, 11:56 AM
Aziolkowski

Send a message via Yahoo to Aziolkowski
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon
you are not as alone as you may think. many oiler fans are starting to wonder why we keep him - especially with his new contract.

i'd rather see a solid two way player like wright get georges spot 4 out of 5 games... of course, that 5th game when georges actually shows up is something fun to watch.

so the debate rages on.
I expected them to trade him too there is no room for a one demantional forward in the nhl if he could score the 15 or 20 he did one year thats a different story but he hasn't. It looks like mac T wants him and torres to be their bang line. But I was really hoping they would trade him too just because as brian burke would say "a third liner doesn't desirve that money." (Klatt)

Old
10-01-2003, 11:58 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno

Well, we still have a few preseason games to go, and the way some of these guys are playing it makes it very difficult to send them down. Not to mention guys like Ryan Smyth, Eric Brewer and Shawn Horcoff are nursing injuries right now.

I think the lines are set, it's just a matter of getting everyone healthy.
Bingo injuries.

Old
10-01-2003, 12:03 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
IMO Salmo has out played his competition (Rita, Wright). I think he should be the one who makes it (as long as he gets ice time, which you all know I feel will come with Pisani's fall from grace).

Old
10-01-2003, 04:14 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Bingo injuries.
From answering GuyF's questions? :p

Closed Thread