HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NJ vs.rag$ : Preseason game

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2003, 03:34 PM
NJDraft

vCash: 500
NJ vs.rag$ : Preseason game

Igor gets his first,as does Jamie :

END OF THE 2ND 1ST 2ND 3RD TOTAL
--- --- --- -----
NEW JERSEY 2 1 3
NY RANGERS 0 2 2 END OF THE 2ND

GOAL SCORING:

1ST PRD: NJD - IGOR LARIONOV 1 (JEFF FRIESEN) 0:47
NJD - CHRISTIAN BERGLUND 2 (TOMMY ALBELIN, SEAN BROWN) 11:36
2ND PRD: NYR - (PP) VLADIMIR MALAKHOV 1 (ERIC LINDROS, MARTIN
RUCINSKY) 4:22
NYR - JAMIE LUNDMARK 2 (DAN LACOUTURE) 5:19
NJD - JAMIE LANGENBRUNNER 1 (PATRIK ELIAS, IGOR LARIONOV)
17:20

SHOTS ON GOAL: 1ST 2ND 3RD TOTAL
--- --- --- -----
NJD 12 8 20
NYR 7 16 23

GOALIES: NJD - MARTIN BRODEUR

Old
10-01-2003, 04:03 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
4-2 NJ in the 3rd period

New Jersey 7:23, Jeff Friesen 3 (shorthanded) (Brian Rafalski, Victor Uchevatov)

Old
10-01-2003, 04:33 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Wondered why they showed Guolla with a goal and an assist for the night with no mention of Larionov's stats.

Old
10-01-2003, 04:37 PM
ratsgirl
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unthinkable
Wondered why they showed Guolla with a goal and an assist for the night with no mention of Larionov's stats.
it could be worse. the last game against the flyers the flyers website gave mike danton an assist (instead of rupp).

Old
10-01-2003, 04:52 PM
NJDevils#4
Since 2002, bishes

Good to see Igor stepping up. God...please regular season come on. I've had enough preseason, prospect and draft talk. Let's play some hockey!!! :p

Old
10-01-2003, 05:19 PM
Tao Jones

Quote:
Guolla wore #8 before Igor was signed.

Old
10-01-2003, 05:23 PM
Laperriere22*

Which young guys have a chance of cracking the Devils' lineup (realistically speaking, if any)?

Berglund looked quite good tonight. Showed good hustle and physical play along with scoring a nice goal. Rasmussen was his typical useless self; I can't understand why any team would even bother with him anymore. He throws a big hit once every couple of weeks to tease fans about his potential and then he disappears. Pikkarainen did nothing of note either IMO. I liked Suglobov. He seemed to be a good skater with good offensive instincts. Guys like that can be hard to pick out occasionally when in a Devils uniform. Martin was pretty unimpressive as well. He knocked a Ranger down once and that was about it. Niedermayer spent some time covering up for Martin on top of that. Didn't think much of Foster either. Of the hopefuls playing tonight, Berglund and Suglobov were easily the best I saw.

Old
10-01-2003, 05:55 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laperriere22
Which young guys have a chance of cracking the Devils' lineup (realistically speaking, if any)?

Berglund looked quite good tonight. Showed good hustle and physical play along with scoring a nice goal. Rasmussen was his typical useless self; I can't understand why any team would even bother with him anymore. He throws a big hit once every couple of weeks to tease fans about his potential and then he disappears. Pikkarainen did nothing of note either IMO. I liked Suglobov. He seemed to be a good skater with good offensive instincts. Guys like that can be hard to pick out occasionally when in a Devils uniform. Martin was pretty unimpressive as well. He knocked a Ranger down once and that was about it. Niedermayer spent some time covering up for Martin on top of that. Didn't think much of Foster either. Of the hopefuls playing tonight, Berglund and Suglobov were easily the best I saw.
We had a poll on this a few days back:

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=15044

Christian Berglund has had a strong training camp and looked good in Providence against Boston. He should make the roster for opening night with Turner Stevenson injured. Rupp will definately be there. I'd like to see what Suglobov can do in New Jersey with Larionov and Brylin, but I have yet to see how he handles himself defensively. We certainly can use a sniper and he fits the bill there. Heard Niedermayer made a head first dive tonight to save a goal from being scored behind Brodeur. That is sick that he did this in a preseason game! On D, Ray Giroux should make the last pairing if he's not claimed in the waiver draft. Martin had one screwup last night where he lost sight of his man for a few seconds in front of Corey Schwab, but he recovered in time to prevent a scoring chance.

Old
10-01-2003, 06:42 PM
Tbg1515

Paul Martin Sucks!!!!!!

This Guy Needs Some Major Work In The Minor Leagues......he Is God Awful I Know He Is Young But Come On Even Young Guys Play Well Sometimes Ive Seen Him Play Now About 4 Times And This Guy Is Very Unimpressive.

Nice To See Igor Playing He Played A Good Game.

Old
10-01-2003, 07:18 PM
gmdevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbg1515
Paul Martin Sucks!!!!!!

This Guy Needs Some Major Work In The Minor Leagues......he Is God Awful I Know He Is Young But Come On Even Young Guys Play Well Sometimes Ive Seen Him Play Now About 4 Times And This Guy Is Very Unimpressive.

Nice To See Igor Playing He Played A Good Game.
You Don't Need To Capitalize Every Word You Type

And come on... Martin is fairly young, inexperienced. Give him some time before you declare that he Sucks!!!!!!

Old
10-01-2003, 08:11 PM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
We had a poll on this a few days back:

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=15044

Christian Berglund has had a strong training camp and looked good in Providence against Boston. He should make the roster for opening night with Turner Stevenson injured. Rupp will definately be there. I'd like to see what Suglobov can do in New Jersey with Larionov and Brylin, but I have yet to see how he handles himself defensively. We certainly can use a sniper and he fits the bill there. Heard Niedermayer made a head first dive tonight to save a goal from being scored behind Brodeur. That is sick that he did this in a preseason game! On D, Ray Giroux should make the last pairing if he's not claimed in the waiver draft. Martin had one screwup last night where he lost sight of his man for a few seconds in front of Corey Schwab, but he recovered in time to prevent a scoring chance.
I confess that I'm a bit of a Berglund fan anyway, but he looked very good tonight against the Rangers, often times in spite of his linemates Rasmussen and Pikkarainen. Rupp looked good too and I figured he'd have to really stink it up in camp and preseason to not make the team this year.

Niedermayer did make a beauty of a save on one goal, but to be fair, he saved two goals tonight. He cleared the puck right as it was about to touch the goal line earlier in the game as well; that in addition to his headfirst sliding save. Niedermayer was pretty damn stellar as was Stevens. Friesen was great as well and I hope his postseason play carries over into this season. Most of the Devils veterans looked good though; the Rangers announcing duo accurately commented that the Devils looked like they were in midseason form, especially in the 1st period when they dominated a flat Rangers team.

As for Martin, I watched the 2nd period more closely about an hour ago and there's no way he's ready for the NHL. Having paid more attention to him, I would change my comment about his night from "unimpressive" to "ugly". The Lundmark goal I blame him for because both he and Lacouture were going back for the puck along the boards. Niedermayer was coming over to help Martin out because it looked like he would lose the foot race, but Martin didn't do anything to tie up Lacouture. Lacouture just passes the puck, splitting both D, to a wide open Lundmark. Martin has got to ride Lacouture past Niedermayer in that situation; that's just basic stuff. That was just one play among a handful of bad ones. Not saying he sucks or can't get better, but Martin had one awful game and I'm sure he'll be in Albany soon. He needs a fair amount of seasoning.

Old
10-02-2003, 05:43 AM
JimEIV

hmmm, I was at the game last night and I gotta say I was pretty impressed with Paul Martin.

I guess I was more surprised. First he played a lot of minutes paired with Neidermayer nearly the whole game. Martin was alot more mature with the puck than I imagined he would be. He obviously is a good skater, but his desicion making was good also. IT was obvious that he needed to get used to the speed of the NHL, but overall I thought his play was solid.

Martin was leaps and bounds better than S. Brown defensively and I personally would feel more comfortable with Martin back there over Brown any night.

Some observations:

I was a little dissappointed Hale and Philman weren't in the lineup.

Wasn't all that impressed with Foster.

Berglund should make the team.

Rassmusen is a waste.

Rupp still looks like a slug when he skates.

Suglobov: Where do I begin! First you've got to be excited if your a devils fan! Everytime this kid touched the puck things happened. I was a little disappointed over how little ice time he got, because when he was out there he made things happen.

I was expecting him to be small ( Don't know why but I did). He has pretty good size and seems to use it well. But his speed and shot are what we are interested in. This kid has TONS of natrual ability!!! Way beyond what I expect. He was defensively aware but it looked forced. Like he had to remind himself where the D-zone was, but I saw him back check all night. But when he was in the defensive zone it looked like a inconvience to him. He looked like a race horse in the stall waiting for the gate to open.

I was really impressed how well he worked in traffic and along the boards. If he spends the entire season in Albany I'd be surprised. If he does, I expect big numbers from him. Of all the Devils prosepcts I've early in there careers, Suglobov seems to be one of the most talented Devil prospects I've ever seen.

I'd like to see him on a line with Elias I think in time these two can create some magic.

Old
10-02-2003, 09:21 AM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV

Suglobov: Where do I begin! First you've got to be excited if your a devils fan! Everytime this kid touched the puck things happened. I was a little disappointed over how little ice time he got, because when he was out there he made things happen.

I was expecting him to be small ( Don't know why but I did). He has pretty good size and seems to use it well. But his speed and shot are what we are interested in. This kid has TONS of natrual ability!!! Way beyond what I expect. He was defensively aware but it looked forced. Like he had to remind himself where the D-zone was, but I saw him back check all night. But when he was in the defensive zone it looked like a inconvience to him. He looked like a race horse in the stall waiting for the gate to open.

I was really impressed how well he worked in traffic and along the boards. If he spends the entire season in Albany I'd be surprised. If he does, I expect big numbers from him. Of all the Devils prosepcts I've early in there careers, Suglobov seems to be one of the most talented Devil prospects I've ever seen.

I'd like to see him on a line with Elias I think in time these two can create some magic.
Jim, Thanks for posting your game thoughts here. Pihlman looked absolutely invisable against Boston and didn't demonstrate any real desire to get involved and make things happen like Rupp and Berglund were doing to the point where you'd want to bring him back for a second game evaluation on back to back nights. Outstanding to hear your report on Suglobov. Truly outstanding news there.

Old
10-02-2003, 09:24 AM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laperriere22
I confess that I'm a bit of a Berglund fan anyway, but he looked very good tonight against the Rangers, often times in spite of his linemates Rasmussen and Pikkarainen. Rupp looked good too and I figured he'd have to really stink it up in camp and preseason to not make the team this year.

Niedermayer did make a beauty of a save on one goal, but to be fair, he saved two goals tonight. He cleared the puck right as it was about to touch the goal line earlier in the game as well; that in addition to his headfirst sliding save. Niedermayer was pretty damn stellar as was Stevens. Friesen was great as well and I hope his postseason play carries over into this season. Most of the Devils veterans looked good though; the Rangers announcing duo accurately commented that the Devils looked like they were in midseason form, especially in the 1st period when they dominated a flat Rangers team.

As for Martin, I watched the 2nd period more closely about an hour ago and there's no way he's ready for the NHL. Having paid more attention to him, I would change my comment about his night from "unimpressive" to "ugly". The Lundmark goal I blame him for because both he and Lacouture were going back for the puck along the boards. Niedermayer was coming over to help Martin out because it looked like he would lose the foot race, but Martin didn't do anything to tie up Lacouture. Lacouture just passes the puck, splitting both D, to a wide open Lundmark. Martin has got to ride Lacouture past Niedermayer in that situation; that's just basic stuff. That was just one play among a handful of bad ones. Not saying he sucks or can't get better, but Martin had one awful game and I'm sure he'll be in Albany soon. He needs a fair amount of seasoning.
Thanks Laperriere22. This is great stuff to read here.

Old
10-02-2003, 11:10 AM
Missionhockey

I wasn't online for the game threads but I'll post what I posted on all the other boards I go to:

Niedermayer- WHAT A GAME!!! He created a scoring chance where he just skated by the forwards and blew them away! Not to mention saving a goal but we always know what to expect from him. Did make one mistake though when he went over to help cover a man Martin was already on which left Lundmark wide open (a beautiful move to, maybe he is finally justifying why he is a top ten pick)

Friesen-Keeping it up as being one of the Devils go to guys. The man has wheels. On his goal he completely blew away the defense (much like Niedermayer). The Devils should get a much more productive year out of him. I'd say 60 points [30 goals]

Suglobov- Also had a strong game. I was dissappointed with the amount of ice time he got but he also works VERY hard. The closing moments of the 1st period he skated off a check, grabbed the loose puck, let go of a laser wrist shot (and he has a LASER wrist shot) and went for the rebound. However he did have some trouble with decision making in his own zone and he'll learn that in Albany

Elias- Seemed disinterested. Didn't want to over exert himself which might explain his whole preseason. Did have a nice assist on Langenbrunners goal.

Langenbrunner- Easily the hardest shot on the team. I would be willing to see how he does on the point playing with Larianov. Could help them raise a couple spots in that department

Larianov- Played well. A very smart decion maker. Would definately help the development of Suglobov. He made a lot of smart passes and surprisingly seems to fit well with Friesen and Langenbrunner. I just hope he doesn't run out of gas.

Foster- seemed very tenative. However you could expect that from anybody coming back from an injury. Took some dumb penalties though and it would do him good to play more than 9 games in Albany this season.

Berglund- Very good game. He is finally becoming the pest he was supposed to be. Should get a spot this year and maybe some time with Gomer and Elias.

Brown-Horrible fighter but he has guts. I think he clearly lost his bout with Purinton. Good addition to the blueline when it comes to playing hockey but as an enforcer he just doesn't make the cut.

Paul Martin- I was very dissapointed. It seemed he wasn't strong enough to push the players to the outside. Was on the ice for Lundmarks goal but that really wasn't his fault. However, it is clear he needs some serious time in Albany

Thats all I remember. I know Hale was playing but I never noticed him much.

Old
10-02-2003, 12:51 PM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionHockey
Paul Martin- I was very dissapointed. It seemed he wasn't strong enough to push the players to the outside. Was on the ice for Lundmarks goal but that really wasn't his fault. However, it is clear he needs some serious time in Albany

Thats all I remember. I know Hale was playing but I never noticed him much.
Actually, Hale wasn't playing.

I'm rather curious why you say that Martin wasn't really at fault on the Lundmark goal though. Lacouture was going to beat him to the puck; so, his partner, Niedermayer, was coming over to take the puck ahead of them both. All Martin had to do was angle his body into Lacouture and force Lacouture to skate with him past the puck while preventing Lacouture from getting his stick free. Instead, he didn't do anything to Lacouture and stranded his partner in no man's land when Lacouture knocked the puck to Lundmark wide open in the slot. If anyone was at fault, I'd say Martin was. It's not your everyday situation where it's clearcut, but veteran defensemen are savvy enough to ride the opposing player past his partner and the puck.

Old
10-02-2003, 12:56 PM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
hmmm, I was at the game last night and I gotta say I was pretty impressed with Paul Martin.

I guess I was more surprised. First he played a lot of minutes paired with Neidermayer nearly the whole game. Martin was alot more mature with the puck than I imagined he would be. He obviously is a good skater, but his desicion making was good also. IT was obvious that he needed to get used to the speed of the NHL, but overall I thought his play was solid.

Martin was leaps and bounds better than S. Brown defensively and I personally would feel more comfortable with Martin back there over Brown any night.
Hmm, that assessment goes completely against everything I saw from him. He had one decent hit and had one good low shot from the point and that was it from what I saw. Others here also seem to agree that Martin didn't have an impressive game either; so, after reading your assessment, I really wonder what you saw in him. Your other observations seem pretty accurate, but you lost me with the Martin stuff.

Old
10-02-2003, 12:58 PM
Missionhockey

If Martin was going to be beat, whoever he was against would have be around or behind the red line. The forwards didn't backcheck to cover Lundmark either but I thought Niedermayer should have covered the pass because even if Martin did get beat and he had room it would have been a miny 2 on 1. I don't know though. Niedermayer knows the system better than I do

Old
10-02-2003, 02:16 PM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionHockey
If Martin was going to be beat, whoever he was against would have be around or behind the red line. The forwards didn't backcheck to cover Lundmark either but I thought Niedermayer should have covered the pass because even if Martin did get beat and he had room it would have been a miny 2 on 1. I don't know though. Niedermayer knows the system better than I do
Wasn't really the forwards responsibility; there were two wingers in the zone and those are the defensemen's responsiblities. If someone had come in on Brodeur after Lundmark's initial shot, then the forwards come into question.

I can see your line of thought on Niedermayer staying back, but he seems to cover up for White's mistakes quite often and that is likely why he went to the boards for the puck. I give Niedermayer the benefit of the doubt considering how well he reads plays. Once Martin sees and/or hears his partner coming for the puck, he has to ride Lacouture out of the play IMO. If Martin ties up Lacouture's stick in any way, that play bogs down along the boards or Niedermayer takes the puck the other way. For defensemen, it's the little things that make a big difference hence why I'm giving Martin the bulk of the blame on the play. He did one little thing wrong and exposed his partner. Not the end of the world, but it's little things like that that convince me a player needs some seasoning. If you put Stevens in Martin's place and Rafalski in Niedermayer's place, Stevens would have eliminated Lacouture. Maybe Martin just wasn't comfortable with his partner; that's possible as well.

Old
10-02-2003, 03:49 PM
Missionhockey

Well I do think Niedermayer had a great game but that goal I believe was mostly a miscommunication between Martin and Niedermayer. Lets let this go though sinse it was only pre-season and Martin will not spend a whole lot of time with the big club anyway.

Old
10-02-2003, 04:51 PM
Niedermayer21

Berglund must make the Devils. I don't know if he is out of options, but playing in Albany would not be rewarding him for his excellent play in the pre-season.

Foster, Martin, Hale, Pikkarainen, Pihlman, and Suglobov need some time in the AHL. I can see Hale and Suglobov being the first recalls if they play well and we have an opening.

I, too, thought about using Langenbrunner on the point, a la Jason Arnott. He has a rocket for a shot and I could see Nieder feeding him all night long. Burns has to get the PP to improve!

Old
10-03-2003, 07:01 AM
JimEIV

Laperriere22,

1. I thought his passes were extremely crisp.

2. I thought he made great decsions coming out of the zone when he was pressured.

3. I thought he handled the bigger players like Lindros and Holik well behind the net and along the boards.

4. I thought he played positionally well.

5. I like the way he moved the puck through the neutral zone on the powerplay (even know that powerplay didn't really click).

But I'm not claiming he was the second coming of Scott Neidermayer. Remember, I'm judging him as a college kid who has 0 pro games expirience. I was pleased what I saw from him. I think some of the devil fans are a little jaded from constantly seeing world class/Elite Defencemen in the 1 through 5 spots.

I also thought he was leaps and bounds better than Brown in all aspects of the game. Brown made a ton of bad outlet passes and poor decisions. I know Ken Daneyko and Sean Brown is no Ken Daneyko

I was looking at the things that I personal feel can't be taught desicion making being the most important. I remember when Colin White first came up, his play wasn't all that great, but I thought he made great decisions with the puck and very good outlets. Those Raw tools are there for Martin. They are NON existant for a guy like Brown.

I was happy to see that.

Old
10-07-2003, 05:52 AM
Pwnasaurus

Quote:
Laperriere22,

1. I thought his passes were extremely crisp.

2. I thought he made great decsions coming out of the zone when he was pressured.

3. I thought he handled the bigger players like Lindros and Holik well behind the net and along the boards.

4. I thought he played positionally well.

5. I like the way he moved the puck through the neutral zone on the powerplay (even know that powerplay didn't really click).

But I'm not claiming he was the second coming of Scott Neidermayer. Remember, I'm judging him as a college kid who has 0 pro games expirience. I was pleased what I saw from him. I think some of the devil fans are a little jaded from constantly seeing world class/Elite Defencemen in the 1 through 5 spots.

I also thought he was leaps and bounds better than Brown in all aspects of the game. Brown made a ton of bad outlet passes and poor decisions. I know Ken Daneyko and Sean Brown is no Ken Daneyko

I was looking at the things that I personal feel can't be taught desicion making being the most important. I remember when Colin White first came up, his play wasn't all that great, but I thought he made great decisions with the puck and very good outlets. Those Raw tools are there for Martin. They are NON existant for a guy like Brown.

I was happy to see that.

Old
10-07-2003, 06:10 AM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10.16.1974

What a maroon

dang I just reread my post......I really need to read those things before I hit submit!!!

Grammer and spelling I whish I could just communicate with grunts and hand motions

Old
10-07-2003, 06:15 AM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10.16.1974

Also.........

considering he made the Opening night line up, I guess Lou and/or Burns saw some of the same things I did.........Egh?

Closed Thread