HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

IIHF World Rankings

Old
02-23-2014, 01:31 PM
God Bless Canada

vCash: 500
The sooner the IIHF realizes that their World Championship realizes that the world championships shouldn't be given much weight (since so many of the world's best players are still in the Stanley Cup playoffs), the sooner we'll get a relevant world ranking.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 01:33 PM
Reds4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
The sooner the IIHF realizes that their World Championship realizes that the world championships shouldn't be given much weight (since so many of the world's best players are still in the Stanley Cup playoffs), the sooner we'll get a relevant world ranking.
It is a relevant ranking.

All top countries have players playing in NHL playoffs when World Championship starts.

Canada should win every World Championship since they always have the strongest team on paper. They just don't deliver on the ice. That's why Canada's 3rd.

Reds4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 01:46 PM
Easton Modano Curve

Apologies in advance for my ignorance. But I had no clue that Middle Eastern and African countries participated in international hockey tournaments. Are there hockey clubs in these countries or do guys just train abroad?

Easton Modano Curve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 01:46 PM
ES

Even if they doubled Olympics points, Canada wouldn't be on top. Sweden would be still leading, Canada ahead of Finland. Russia would stay 4th and US would pass Czech Republic.

ES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 01:49 PM
JaysCyYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post

All top countries have players playing in NHL playoffs when World Championship starts.

Canada should win every World Championship since they always have the strongest team on paper. They just don't deliver on the ice. That's why Canada's 3rd.
It's relevant to count the World Championships in the ranking system. It's NOT relevant to count it on the same level as the Olympics.

Like myself and others have mentioned, it should be two, possibly even three times the value of the Worlds.

Hell, make it four times. It only comes around once every four years and you're guaranteed to have the best available compliment of talent playing for the participating national teams, unlike the Worlds (and that effects every country, not just Canada before you criticize me for stating that).

They simply shouldn't be weighted the same, regardless of how you feel about the Worlds. I enjoy the competition myself and consider it a very worthy tournament, but the Olympics trump all.

JaysCyYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 01:53 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:

The Olympics should be given about 75 per cent of the weight. (Until the NHL brings back the World Cup, and abandons the Olympics). The event that actually has the best players should be given an incredible emphasis in the world rankings. The event that is a consolation prize for NHL players should not be given much significance.

You expect Canadian (or American) NHL players to be geared up for the World Championships after playing a gruelling, demanding 82-game season, only to miss the playoffs, or get knocked out in the first round?

Talk to any North American player about the Worlds. They'll tell you what a great experience it was, but they never want to go back there, because it means their season ended in April. (Note: if I'm an NHL team, and I have a European player on my roster eager to play on my roster, I'm pretty ticked off).

(We can debate having more European-based NHL players on Team Canada at the Worlds, but that's another debate for another time).

If the IIHF wants to create a truly significant World Championship, run it in the late summer every four years, before the NHL season begins. Just like the NBA Worlds. But that would require the IIHF flushing millions of dollars down the toilet from losing an annual world championship.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 01:58 PM
Reds4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
The Olympics should be given about 75 per cent of the weight. (Until the NHL brings back the World Cup, and abandons the Olympics). The event that actually has the best players should be given an incredible emphasis in the world rankings. The event that is a consolation prize for NHL players should not be given much significance.

You expect Canadian (or American) NHL players to be geared up for the World Championships after playing a gruelling, demanding 82-game season, only to miss the playoffs, or get knocked out in the first round?

Talk to any North American player about the Worlds. They'll tell you what a great experience it was, but they never want to go back there, because it means their season ended in April. (Note: if I'm an NHL team, and I have a European player on my roster eager to play on my roster, I'm pretty ticked off).

(We can debate having more European-based NHL players on Team Canada at the Worlds, but that's another debate for another time).

If the IIHF wants to create a truly significant World Championship, run it in the late summer every four years, before the NHL season begins. Just like the NBA Worlds. But that would require the IIHF flushing millions of dollars down the toilet from losing an annual world championship.
ALL the top hockey countries have players in the NHL. ALL of them play a full season before going to the Olympics. It's not any different for Mikko Koivu or Sidney Crosby.

Also, there's more to HOCKEY than the NHL. The KHL has some very, very good hockey players.

Perhaps the Olympics should count for more than World Championship though.

Old
02-23-2014, 01:58 PM
Rentsi

vCash: 50
Finland had a team closer to world champions team than a "best-of-the-best" team. And they managed to rank 3rd. So are olympics overrated??

Rentsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 02:05 PM
JaysCyYoung

Quote:
ALL the top hockey countries have players in the NHL. ALL of them play a full season before going to the Olympics. It's not any different for Mikko Koivu or Sidney Crosby.

Also, there's more to HOCKEY than the NHL. The KHL has some very, very good hockey players.

Perhaps the Olympics should count for more than World Championship though.
Heh. We certainly saw that at these Games.

Old
02-23-2014, 02:10 PM
Reds4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysCyYoung View Post
Heh. We certainly saw that at these Games.
You mean when a bunch of KHL-Finns dominated American All-Stars?

Old
02-23-2014, 02:13 PM
JaysCyYoung

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that Teemu Selanne played for Ak Bars Kazan. Russia looked real good though.

Old
02-23-2014, 02:14 PM
Reds4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysCyYoung View Post
I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that Teemu Selanne played for Ak Bars Kazan. Russia looked real good though.
Russians had fewer KHL players than Finland. It was NHL's Ovechkin who sucked he most and played 1 minute shifts.

Old
02-23-2014, 02:19 PM
Hubie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easton Modano Curve View Post
Apologies in advance for my ignorance. But I had no clue that Middle Eastern and African countries participated in international hockey tournaments. Are there hockey clubs in these countries or do guys just train abroad?
The rankings are based entirely on national team results. Every country in there has a national team that takes part in the World Championship. There are other countries in the IIHF (like Thailand or Liechtenstain or whoever) which currently or in the last 4 years haven't had a national team competing.

Hubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 02:43 PM
Philly85*
I Ain't Even Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by roto View Post
Your post is a joke. Olympic tournament is just a tournament with very few meaningful games. What did Sweden prove by winning just some B category countries and was really lucky that Canada beat it only 3-0. Sample rate and size of olympic tournament is just too poor to give it more value.

If Canada dominated in ice hockey, it would win WHCs and get the number one position. It's as simple as that.
TC treats the WHC like a development or try out tournament, to see what they have in their stable for the next potential Olympics or World Cup. It's a revolving door of players and coaches while Russia, Finland and Sweden keep having their core group of go to guys (including legit superstars, at least 1 or 2) coming back year after year.

Philly85* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 03:28 PM
stavs*

found this pretty funny when looking up mexican hockey

stavs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 03:31 PM
JimboA

Woop, best in the world!

JimboA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 03:31 PM
Namejs
The Buffalo Eichels

vCash: 1050
It's always great to see Canadians whining about the rankings.

Guys, deal with it, you're not the best team in the world. The IIHF is not to blame for the fact that you're not sending your best players to the World Championship.

You have the most talent, but if you're not sending your best players, your team isn't going to be ranked #1. That's pretty simple and straightforward.

If you don't like it, send your best team to IHWC.

Also, no one cares about the World Cup. I didn't even know such a thing existed. I haven't seen a single game of it, even though I'm a hardcore fan of international hockey.

Namejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 03:35 PM
novisor

People saying that Canada had a big advantage because Sweden was missing Backstrom, Sedin, Zetterberg, Franzen and Finland was missing both Koivu's, Barkov, and Filpula, seem to forget that Canada was missing both Stamkos and Tavares.

novisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 03:38 PM
novisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namejs View Post

Guys, deal with it, you're not the best team in the world. The IIHF is not to blame for the fact that you're not sending your best players to the World Championship.

You have the most talent, but if you're not sending your best players, your team isn't going to be ranked #1. That's pretty simple and straightforward.

If you don't like it, send your best team to IHWC.

Also, no one cares about the World Cup. I didn't even know such a thing existed. I haven't seen a single game of it, even though I'm a hardcore fan of international hockey.
Halarious, Canada is bar none the best hockey team on earth. We have won 3/5 Olympics with NHLer's , no other team has even won 2.
Look at the NHL draft every year and see what country the majority of players are from.

novisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 03:38 PM
Riggins

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namejs View Post

Guys, deal with it, you're not the best team in the world.
I could have sworn Canada just won their second straight Olympic gold... am I in the twilight zone or something?

Riggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 03:58 PM
Hubie

If you think only best on best tournaments should count just look at the latest olympic standings for your world ranking. Presto! Canada nr.1 Everybody happy.

Hubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 04:00 PM
Namejs
The Buffalo Eichels

Quote:
Originally Posted by novisor View Post
Halarious, Canada is bar none the best hockey team on earth. We have won 3/5 Olympics with NHLer's , no other team has even won 2.
Look at the NHL draft every year and see what country the majority of players are from.
Nope. I think you're confusing the ranking of your national team with how good your hockey program is.

If you'd send only amateur players, you probably wouldn't be playing in the Elite division (top16). It doesn't matter how many NHL draftees you have, if you're not sending them to international tournaments.

Old
02-23-2014, 04:02 PM
Namejs
The Buffalo Eichels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count of DannyKristo View Post
I could have sworn Canada just won their second straight Olympic gold... am I in the twilight zone or something?
2010 Cologne / Mannheim 7th place
2011 Bratislava / Košice, Slovakia 5th place
2012 Helsinki, Finland / Stockholm, Sweden 5th place
2013 Stockholm, Sweden / Helsinki, Finland 5th place

Old
02-23-2014, 04:03 PM
starduckets

Holy **** some of you Canadians on this board are ****ing insufferable. None of my Canadian friends behave like this.. I guess the anonymity of the internet brings out the ******* in all of us.

starduckets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2014, 04:14 PM
Tookey98

Quote:
Originally Posted by starduckets View Post
Holy **** some of you Canadians on this board are ****ing insufferable. None of my Canadian friends behave like this.. I guess the anonymity of the internet brings out the ******* in all of us.
Well I think people get carried away but how do they judge this point system because it's slightly flawed

Tookey98 is offline   Reply With Quote