HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hoffman up

Old
02-26-2014, 02:57 PM
God Says No

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Michalek - Spezza - Stone
MacArthur - Turris - Stafford
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Ryan
Greening - Smith - Neil/Kassian
Not bad, but I'd rather have Conacher in there instead of Stafford.

God Says No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 03:01 PM
Gesus
Let's win it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Michalek - Spezza - Stone
MacArthur - Turris - Stafford
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Ryan
Greening - Smith - Neil/Kassian
I don't agree with a lot of your opinions, but, I really really like that lineup.

Gesus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 03:12 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allaboard View Post
Give your head a shake. In no way is Conacher or any other young player "standing in the way" of Hoffman. It is there for Hoffman to take and the last callup he had two full games alongside Mac and Turris and he didn't perform. How are players standing in his way ? You seem to be assuming a lot that Hoffman or Prince or Stone can make the jump. Hoffman has passed through waivers this year after an excellent year last year. Are all 29 clubs blind to this "hidden gem" ? I hope Hoffman excels this time up but he needs to do something quick because he is running out of opportunities. My biggest hope is he gets al least a dozen games to show what he's got.
While I don't disagree Hoffman has to make the most of his opportunities, however if two games with zero production is the measure, then Conacher would have been out of town long ago along with many Sens forwards!!!

My apologies but I dislike when players are evaluated by different standards.

It would be just as easy to suggest if Hoffman had the opportunity to play 57 games with little fear of being sent to Bingo he would most likely have more than 20 points.

Last edited by Holdurbreathe: 02-26-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 03:14 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Lol, where did Hoffman/Conacher comparison come from? Hoffman is 6'0 vs 5'8 Conacher.

They don't even play the same.

3rd line*

We won't go anywhere with Greening-Smith-Neil as our 3rd line.
Smith is now on the 4th line with Neil, Condra and Greening are now on line 1 and 2.

Wonder how far this will take the Sens!!!!

Old
02-26-2014, 03:22 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Hoffman seems to be a slow starter everywhere he has been. He was unable to make it as a Kitchener Ranger & ended up as an Olympique before traded to the east coast where he excelled. He had a tough yr in his first yr with Bingo but slowly yr after yr got better & is now their best player. The same can be said in his callups with Ottawa & if this coaching staff is patient with him he could finally find his game at the NHL level. Hopefully, sooner rather than later.

Last edited by aragorn: 02-26-2014 at 03:28 PM.
aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 03:24 PM
83DIZ65

if he fails this time ill worry hes gonna play with ziby and ryan.......hes being given a real shot here for once..

83DIZ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 03:41 PM
Gesus
Let's win it all

Paul Maclean was saying on the Team 1200 that they believe he's an NHLer and that they intend to give him a good look this time around. Also said they encouraged him to just play his game this time, they felt he played scared in last call up and that he needs to trust his instincts as he's an offensive player.

Old
02-26-2014, 04:45 PM
Allaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
While I don't disagree Hoffman has to make the most of his opportunities, however if two games with zero production is the measure, then Conacher would have been out of town long ago along with many Sens forwards!!!

My apologies but I dislike when players are evaluated by different standards.

It would be just as easy to suggest if Hoffman had the opportunity to play 57 games with little fear of being sent to Bingo he would most likely have more than 20 points.
Your reading me wrong, he had the proper opportunity with the proper players but I absolutely agree he wasn't given enough time. He needs an extended audition, my point was Conacher is not standing in the way of any players opportunities. To me he is being pushed aside once again while Condra and greening get to play on the top two lines! and Cony draws Smith and Neil. NOT evaluating players by different standards at all, I continue to complain about our younger players not getting the proper opportunity due to MacLeans infatuation with some of our vets.

Allaboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 04:47 PM
Allaboard

Quote:
Smith is now on the 4th line with Neil, Condra and Greening are now on line 1 and 2.

Wonder how far this will take the Sens!!!!
Smith can play third line but Greening, Neil and Condra are all forth line players.

Old
02-26-2014, 06:29 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Your reading me wrong, he had the proper opportunity with the proper players but I absolutely agree he wasn't given enough time. He needs an extended audition, my point was Conacher is not standing in the way of any players opportunities. To me he is being pushed aside once again while Condra and greening get to play on the top two lines! and Cony draws Smith and Neil. NOT evaluating players by different standards at all, I continue to complain about our younger players not getting the proper opportunity due to MacLeans infatuation with some of our vets.
Well the fact is any player with a one-way contract that is not waiver exempt is in the way of the young guys in Bingo, even if they aren't performing up to expectations.

I do not wish to make this a "Conacher vs the prospects" discussion because IMO its just not that at all. While Cory may not have produced at the level some might have expected, he still has produced more than Greening, Condra, Neil and Smith.

I echo your sentiments on how the young players have been handled, seeing Greening and Condra penciled in on lines one and two while Cory drops to line 4 makes little sense to me.

However my point was directed at single comment, "he had the proper opportunity" when in fact he did not.

IMO two games shows nothing, and the reasons offered up by MacLean vague and meaningless. After listening to the Murray interview from yesterday it is clear he believes Hoffman is an NHL player and that he wasn't given an appropriate opportunity. Obviously I agree.

History has shown that most young players need time, not measured in games but in seasons.

Old
02-26-2014, 06:31 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Smith can play third line but Greening, Neil and Condra are all forth line players.
I agree, but there is no 3rd line opportunity for him since it appears the Sens want Zibby at center.

Old
02-26-2014, 08:47 PM
Allaboard

Quote:
Well the fact is any player with a one-way contract that is not waiver exempt is in the way of the young guys in Bingo, even if they aren't performing up to expectations.

I do not wish to make this a "Conacher vs the prospects" discussion because IMO its just not that at all. While Cory may not have produced at the level some might have expected, he still has produced more than Greening, Condra, Neil and Smith.

I echo your sentiments on how the young players have been handled, seeing Greening and Condra penciled in on lines one and two while Cory drops to line 4 makes little sense to me.

However my point was directed at single comment, "he had the proper opportunity" when in fact he did not.

IMO two games shows nothing, and the reasons offered up by MacLean vague and meaningless. After listening to the Murray interview from yesterday it is clear he believes Hoffman is an NHL player and that he wasn't given an appropriate opportunity. Obviously I agree.

History has shown that most young players need time, not measured in games but in seasons.
Yes no disagreement here I agree Unless your that high draft pick it takes a long time to find out what some of these prospects have.

Old
02-26-2014, 10:19 PM
L'Aveuglette

vCash: 1000
Safe to say Mike needs to "Hoff-man up" if he wants to stay with the big club. Am I right?

Sorry.

L'Aveuglette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 10:34 PM
ATdaisuki
invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Aveuglette View Post
Safe to say Mike needs to "Hoff-man up" if he wants to stay with the big club. Am I right?

Sorry.
you mike hoff to show yourself the door after that one, man.

ATdaisuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 10:45 PM
L'Aveuglette

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATdaisuki View Post
you mike hoff to show yourself the door after that one, man.
Zing!

L'Aveuglette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 12:27 AM
Mika Zibanejad
Free The Oppressed

vCash: 966
hoffman if not injured is probs here to stay

Mika Zibanejad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 09:15 AM
Proust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gesus View Post
Paul Maclean was saying on the Team 1200 that they believe he's an NHLer and that they intend to give him a good look this time around. Also said they encouraged him to just play his game this time, they felt he played scared in last call up and that he needs to trust his instincts as he's an offensive player.
Completely. He played like a spastic 4th line speedster... when you watch him play in the AHL, he's wayyyy more cerebral.

Proust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 09:38 AM
StefanW
Get well, Bryan

vCash: 50
I hope Hoffman shows his stuff tonight. If he manages to bury one I think we'll see him start to play with more confidence.

StefanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 09:42 AM
WhiteLight

Hoffman is just too good not to stick. Some high scoring AHL can't stick because they're too small or can't skate. Neither is the case for Hoffman. He'll make it

Now, someone needs to be traded so Da Costa can get back up here. He was terrific

WhiteLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 09:48 AM
Biancosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proust View Post
Completely. He played like a spastic 4th line speedster... when you watch him play in the AHL, he's wayyyy more cerebral.
completely agree, he looks relaxed, head up. People say its because the league is so much worse than the NHL but he just takes a little time to feel out the game. His first year in the AHL was not spectacular by any stretch either

Biancosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 10:11 AM
God Says No

Anyone know if he has to pass through waivers if lets say he is sent back in 3 games or so? I think he does not, as he already did that at the beginning of the year and he hasn't been with the club for 30 (?) days.

Old
02-27-2014, 10:13 AM
Biancosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Says No View Post
Anyone know if he has to pass through waivers if lets say he is sent back in 3 games or so? I think he does not, as he already did that at the beginning of the year and he hasn't been with the club for 30 (?) days.
I think Garrioch said he has 7 games/21 days before he eligible to be claimed off waivers

Biancosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 10:20 AM
God Says No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biancosaurus View Post
I think Garrioch said he has 7 games/21 days before he eligible to be claimed off waivers
Ah, good to know. Thanks.

Old
02-27-2014, 10:46 AM
OgieO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Hoffman is just too good not to stick. Some high scoring AHL can't stick because they're too small or can't skate. Neither is the case for Hoffman. He'll make it

Now, someone needs to be traded so Da Costa can get back up here. He was terrific
Well, we don't know that's he's not big/durable enough to stick. He looked good in a very brief stint last year but hurt his shoulder almost immediately. I think that's the biggest question mark with him.

OgieO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 11:17 AM
Gesus
Let's win it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgieO View Post
Well, we don't know that's he's not big/durable enough to stick. He looked good in a very brief stint last year but hurt his shoulder almost immediately. I think that's the biggest question mark with him.
Pretty sure it was his collarbone no?