HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Jagr Goes Down

Closed Thread

Old
08-10-2005, 02:24 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

vCash: 500
If Jagr Goes Down

Obviously I love the fact that we are rebuilding. I say play the young kids instead of the washed up UFAS... But if the Rangers are going to be competitive and somehow get the powerplay going, the key to the offense is going to be JAGR. Sather has signed Rucinsky, Nylander, Straka and possibly Sushinsky (not to mention getting rid of others that dont fit with him) to surround him with players he likes, works well with and speak the same language as him.

What happens (and its not out of the realm of possibility) if JAGR goes down with a bugging groin injury or a much more serious one that lands him on the sidelines or god forbid out for the season? We are REALLY screwed. Half the team will be a bunch of spare parts that only work with JAGR and if JAGR really gets hurt, we have less of a chance to be able to trade him at the end of the year to get some good young talent or perhaps a shot at the 1# pick.

My question is: Does Jagr's play and health determine the future of the team more than any
normal Superstar?

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 08-10-2005 at 02:38 PM.
Old
08-10-2005, 02:42 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC
Obviously I love the fact that we are rebuilding. I say play the young kids instead of the washed up UFAS... But if the Rangers are going to be competitive and somehow get the powerplay going, the key to the offense is going to be JAGR. Sather has signed Rucinsky, Nylander, Straka and possibly Sushinsky (not to mention getting rid of others that dont fit with him) to surround him with players he likes, works well with and speak the same language as him.

What happens (and its not out of the realm of possibility) if JAGR goes down with a bugging groin injury or a much more serious one that lands him on the sidelines or god forbid out for the season? We are REALLY screwed. Half the team will be a bunch of spare parts that only work with JAGR and if JAGR really gets hurt, we have less of a chance to be able to trade him at the end of the year to get some good young talent or perhaps a shot at the 1# pick.

My question is: Does Jagr's play and health determine the future of the team more than any
normal Superstar?

We lose games 8-1 unstead of 8-3.

Old
08-10-2005, 02:43 PM
broadwayblue

this team will not be competitive, even with jagr. in reality, the better jagr's play, the worse the teams future is. that's why we need to trade him for as much as possible as quickly as possible. we need more picks and prospects. all jagr is going to do is prevent us from finishing at the bottom of the standings. nothing more.

Old
08-10-2005, 02:53 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway

LOL ....good one ....

Someone will have to step up.

Old
08-10-2005, 03:14 PM
nyr7andcounting

That's why players shouldn't have a say in who plays with them. Especially an old, injury prone Jagr. If he goes down, we have a bunch of European players who don't do much good and probably wouldn't do well without Jagr.

Old
08-10-2005, 03:59 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Looking at what we have now and considering there will be no ties I figure we should win in the neighborhood of 20-25 games this year. What happens if Jagr gets hurt? or decides he doesn't want to play anymore? One thing--our chances to get Kessel in the next draft increase.

Old
08-10-2005, 04:32 PM
Phil333

Am I the only one who thinks we're not going to be awful? On CAROLINA, Weekes gave up 2.33 a game. That's not bad at all. On a save percentage of: .912. We're not going to be great or anything, but we're not going to let up 8 goals a game. If the rookies don't suck, I think we win 30 games.

Old
08-10-2005, 04:45 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil333
Am I the only one who thinks we're not going to be awful? On CAROLINA, Weekes gave up 2.33 a game. That's not bad at all. On a save percentage of: .912. We're not going to be great or anything, but we're not going to let up 8 goals a game. If the rookies don't suck, I think we win 30 games.
I honestly think this team is going to be surprisingly good. Sather has put together a group of fast, shifty, finesse type forwards that might just thrive under the new rule changes. Our defense is still, I admit, pretty brutal however. Should be interesting if nothing else.

Old
08-10-2005, 04:45 PM
Skroob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil333
which is about 60pts. considering the Pens finished with 58, and the caps 59, I'll take it (the shot at #1 i mean).

Old
08-10-2005, 05:06 PM
eco's bones

I don't mean to be negative here. What I see is a bunch of soft players on the two top lines and a soft defense. Weekes should get a lot of work. I can't imagine us winning against the Flyers this year for one team. Not with the likes of Primeau, Forsberg, Stevenson, Knuble and Brashear crashing our net. We are a team in transition. We will begin to come out of this spin we are in when our future core starts showing up on the scene. Does it include Lundmark? I don't know. BaleJ? I would think so. For sure it would seem to include Tyutin, Lundquist, Montoya, Staal,
Jessiman, Korpikoski, Immonen, Dawes, Prucha and Baranka and some others. Anybody that thinks this crew is going to make the playoffs is smoking some good stuff IMO.

Old
08-10-2005, 05:29 PM
Entrancemperium

I don't think we'll make it to the playoffs. I hope we work hard, develop our team and wind up within the bottom five and pick a stud prospect

Old
08-10-2005, 05:37 PM
Blueshirt Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrancemperium
I don't think we'll make it to the playoffs. I hope we work hard, develop our team and wind up within the bottom five and pick a stud prospect
I have to agree with you. It might take two, or even three years before the Blueshirts return to the playoffs. By then, we might not even have Jagr in uniform.

Old
08-10-2005, 06:11 PM
Onion Boy

Something tells me Jagr (if healthy) gets dealt at the deadline.

Old
08-10-2005, 06:34 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Well, let's just cross our fingers that Jagr is able to play atleast 70 games. I don't know, I think some of you are being negative. I certainly don't think we're one of the better teams in the league, but then I don't think we're one of the worst either. I think the kids will suprise a lot of people; they're hungry and should fly. Plus, there's still time, via the remaining FA's or trades, to patch up the D and bring in more skill on the wings. Don't give up just yet...

Old
08-10-2005, 06:41 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

our odds increase dramatically that we get Kessel!

Quote:

My question is: Does Jagr's play and health determine the future of the team more than any normal Superstar?

Old
08-10-2005, 07:32 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27
I honestly think this team is going to be surprisingly good. Sather has put together a group of fast, shifty, finesse type forwards that might just thrive under the new rule changes. Our defense is still, I admit, pretty brutal however. Should be interesting if nothing else.
God I hope not. This team has sucked for seven years, but has never TOTALLY sucked enough to get the true reward from sucking that bad - THE TOP PICK IN THE DRAFT!!! Part of the problem with this rebuild is that, while some solid young talent has been accumulated, there are no players like Nash, Heatley and their ilk sitting in the coffers. And, the one year they were primed to do it, the NHL takes the season off, and rewards them in the lottery with the 16th pick!! This team needs to suck this season and even possibly next to get the needed franchise players to build around.

Old
08-11-2005, 01:34 AM
eco's bones

I think we might need to put actually winning and losing games in perspective this year. That's all. I think just having a season is a positive. Some posters think our record will depend on what the Jagr's and Nylander's do. If Lundmark and Balej were to become 50-60 point players--real 1st and 2nd line contributors that might be a better guage. I wouldn't hold my breath on that. To be a good team we are going to have to start getting those kinds of contributions from our younger players.

Old
08-11-2005, 03:34 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones
I think we might need to put actually winning and losing games in perspective this year. That's all. I think just having a season is a positive. Some posters think our record will depend on what the Jagr's and Nylander's do. If Lundmark and Balej were to become 50-60 point players--real 1st and 2nd line contributors that might be a better guage. I wouldn't hold my breath on that. To be a good team we are going to have to start getting those kinds of contributions from our younger players.
That's very true and we also have to realize that most young players don't reach their potential in one full NHL season. Having the young ones move closer to playing like a real team and reaching toward their individual potential is what we should be hoping for.

Old
08-11-2005, 04:39 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
That's very true and we also have to realize that most young players don't reach their potential in one full NHL season. Having the young ones move closer to playing like a real team and reaching toward their individual potential is what we should be hoping for.
Leetch was a homegrown player that became a leader (whether he was comfortable with it or not) very quickly as a young player. There aren't too many like him around. To have even one young player establish himself as a bonafide
contributor would make this upcoming season something of a success whatever the win-loss record. Whether there's 5 or 10 or however many new players we need more than anything else to be able to start looking to some of them.

Old
08-11-2005, 04:55 PM
Entrancemperium

JUST ONE STUD PROSPECT!!!!! IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR? COME ON!!!

We're overdue for one.

Old
08-12-2005, 03:30 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrancemperium
JUST ONE STUD PROSPECT!!!!! IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR? COME ON!!!

We're overdue for one.
Kessell?

Old
08-12-2005, 03:59 PM
Entrancemperium

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones
Kessell?
That would be so sweet

Old
08-12-2005, 04:27 PM
eco's bones

A good place to begin.

Old
08-12-2005, 04:57 PM
Entrancemperium

What do you guys think of Mueller?

Old
08-13-2005, 08:59 AM
NYC Aim 4588

vCash:
Quote:

What happens (and its not out of the realm of possibility) if JAGR goes down with a bugging groin injury or a much more serious one that lands him on the sidelines or god forbid out for the season?

What happens if Jagr gets injured it will decrease his trade value, which i for one have a feeling at the dead line he will be gone. So I want a 100% healthy jagr cause the healthy and better he plays on this horrible NYR team the more valuable he becomes every where else, and Jagr might just be able to get us a couple 1st rounders or definitly a 1st rounder and a couple of 2nd rounders along with maybve some good solid prospects. Or who knows he just migh bring back 2 good young players with top 6 potential or even top #2/#3 d-men.

Either way the guy will bring a very good amount back be it just prospects or picks either or.

Closed Thread