HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 Winter Olympics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-24-2014, 09:10 AM
  #26
ODAAT
Registered User
 
ODAAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Kind of odd, really - if you believe it's the world's greatest game, shouldn't you want everyone to play it?

And like most games (including football and baseball), it wasn't "invented," it developed/evolved from something else. The only mainstream "invented" sports I can think of are basketball and volleyball, both born in :ahem: Massachusetts.
Basketball invented and it`s rules developed by a James Naismith.....a Canadian, you can`t steal our basketball thunder....although he did end up with a dual citizenship the bugger

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 09:13 AM
  #27
BrainOfJ
\_(ツ)_/
 
BrainOfJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Wherever Griffith is
Country: United States
Posts: 20,600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Kind of odd, really - if you believe it's the world's greatest game, shouldn't you want everyone to play it?

And like most games (including football and baseball), it wasn't "invented," it developed/evolved from something else. The only mainstream "invented" sports I can think of are basketball and volleyball, both born in :ahem: Massachusetts.
By a canadian

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 09:20 AM
  #28
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 20,849
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Basketball invented and it`s rules developed by a James Naismith.....a Canadian, you can`t steal our basketball thunder....although he did end up with a dual citizenship the bugger
Know how to find out if someone is Canadian? Mention a celebrity* and see how fast they respond with "He's Canadian you know."



*Does not apply to Justin Beiber or Celine Dion.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 09:21 AM
  #29
Trap Jesus
Registered User
 
Trap Jesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 14,325
vCash: 500
Apparently St. Louis demanded a trade when he wasn't picked for the Canadian team. Could you imagine Bergeron doing that if Chia left him off? What an absolute brat if that's true.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 09:22 AM
  #30
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 20,849
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
Apparently St. Louis demanded a trade when he wasn't picked for the Canadian team. Could you imagine Bergeron doing that if Chia left him off? What an absolute brat if that's true.
Link?

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 09:26 AM
  #31
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair
 
Shoebottom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: 7 steps from my can
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,872
vCash: 500
Nothing wrong with saying hockey is "our game". Just good old trash talking. Say Canada, and the 1st thing someone thinks is snow, cold, beavers, Bieber, and hockey.

Shoebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 09:33 AM
  #32
Bruinguy
Here we are again!
 
Bruinguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stuck in LeafNation
Country: Canada
Posts: 863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Link?
Here is one link...
http://www.thescore.com/home/article...ff-team-canada

Plus of course, the Eklund link...
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Micha...turn/173/58176

Bruinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 09:34 AM
  #33
KrejciMVP
Registered User
 
KrejciMVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,278
vCash: 500
Would love to pick up St Louis for a cup run if he came cheap

KrejciMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 09:38 AM
  #34
Madturk
Registered User
 
Madturk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 654
vCash: 500
I'd love me some MSL but no way in hell the Bolts move him

Madturk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 09:41 AM
  #35
EverettMike
Registered User
 
EverettMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Everett, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,753
vCash: 500
Real embarrassing Olympics for the United States. Take away events we invented that debuted at these games and it would have been historically bad.

EverettMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 09:44 AM
  #36
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair
 
Shoebottom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: 7 steps from my can
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,872
vCash: 500
Loved the hockey tournament. Funny how TC made other teams look uninspired when in fact they played their best but couldn't do anything against that machine. Posters saying US was a bust cause they lost 1-0. What about Sweden? A worse bust cause they lost 3-0? Gotta give credit where its due. US was a very strong team. Its like saying Pitts was a lousy team cause they got swept by Boston, when in fact that Pitt team beats 95% of the other teams in the NHL. No one was going to beat this Canadian team these Olympics, no matter if some players didn't play because of injuries or they weren't selected.

Shoebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 10:10 AM
  #37
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 20,849
vCash: 500
Quote:
Retweeted by Bob McKenzie
Pavel Barta ‏@bartic63 1h
Alois Hadamczik resigned as head coach of the Czech national team. He called it "coup caused by seditious media".
It's always the media's fault.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 10:16 AM
  #38
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 20,849
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Real embarrassing Olympics for the United States. Take away events we invented that debuted at these games and it would have been historically bad.
U.S. SHOULD WIN EVERY MEDAL!!!!

Give me a break. Nine gold, seven silver, 12 bronze, 28 medals, second only to the host team, which always receives a boost at home.

And I don't buy the "take away events." That's the ultimate in cherry-picking.

The men's hockey team struggled. The speed skaters flopped. But the beauty of the Olympics is that there's more than a couple of sports, and every country had worthy competitors in the "new" events.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:11 AM
  #39
Ladyfan
Miss Savvy and Looch
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: next to the bench
Country: Scotland
Posts: 32,058
vCash: 130
All in all I thought the Olympics went great.

Our B's are bringing home a Gold, Silver and Bronze...not too shabby. Big Z and DK played well for their teams and should be proud too.

I am happy there were no "issues" and everyone went home safe.

Let's get back to B's hockey

__________________
Congrats Brad Marchand . Thanks !

Last edited by Ladyfan: 02-24-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Ladyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:14 AM
  #40
KrejciMVP
Registered User
 
KrejciMVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,278
vCash: 500
The USA does have the best female slalom skiier on the planet

KrejciMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:53 AM
  #41
PatriceBergeronFan
Dismayed B's Fan
 
PatriceBergeronFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 21,375
vCash: 583
I actually thought these Olympics were more underwhelming than usual. Although it could be the time difference.

PatriceBergeronFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:55 AM
  #42
PatriceBergeronFan
Dismayed B's Fan
 
PatriceBergeronFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 21,375
vCash: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebottom View Post
Nothing wrong with saying hockey is "our game". Just good old trash talking. Say Canada, and the 1st thing someone thinks is snow, cold, beavers, Bieber, and hockey.
When I think Canada I don't think hockey, nor is it good old trash talking so much as arrogance. In my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfan View Post
All in all I thought the Olympics went great.

Our B's are bringing home a Gold, Silver and Bronze...not too shabby. Big Z and DK played well for their teams and should be proud too.

I am happy there were no "issues" and everyone went home safe.

Let's get back to B's hockey
Great point, the terrorism threat ended up just being a threat and not carried out.

PatriceBergeronFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 12:23 PM
  #43
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair
 
Shoebottom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: 7 steps from my can
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriceBergeronFan View Post
When I think Canada I don't think hockey, nor is it good old trash talking so much as arrogance. In my mind.



Great point, the terrorism threat ended up just being a threat and not carried out.
Good for you. But I bet most people relate hockey to Canada amongst other things. Think of it as arrogant if you want, but hockey was invented in Canada, is a big part of life in Canada, and Canada has dominated this sport for ages. It's our unofficial national game. Remember when 90% of NHL players were Canadian even in the 80's? Yes, the game has expended to all corners of the earth, but it doesn't change the fact that its our #1 sport. So it is "our game". Maybe you can think of it as arrogant if you take it literally and assume that this motto is meant to be exclusive and that nobody else is allowed to play this game lol. But all this motto means is that Canada lives & breaths hockey.

Shoebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 12:26 PM
  #44
EverettMike
Registered User
 
EverettMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Everett, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
U.S. SHOULD WIN EVERY MEDAL!!!!

Give me a break. Nine gold, seven silver, 12 bronze, 28 medals, second only to the host team, which always receives a boost at home.

And I don't buy the "take away events." That's the ultimate in cherry-picking.

The men's hockey team struggled. The speed skaters flopped. But the beauty of the Olympics is that there's more than a couple of sports, and every country had worthy competitors in the "new" events.
You know, you don't have to deal in extremes.

The truth is the US vastly underperformed expectations, especially when you factor in that they sent their largest winter delegation ever.

No speed skating medals, no medal's in men's or women's singles figure skating. Some of its top athletes really disappointed.

And considering where they ranked in gold medals, definitely a sub-par effort.

EverettMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 12:28 PM
  #45
Pie O My
Registered User
 
Pie O My's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Shawmut Center
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,769
vCash: 500
oh great. juuuuuust great.....

Joe Haggerty ‏@HackswithHaggs 6m

Krejci: "First day on the ice today, I was really tired. I'm not going to hide that. Still have two days, so hopefully I'll be ready to go."

can you imagine what our goalie and defenseman are going t6hrough right now? we're screwed.

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 12:30 PM
  #46
Pie O My
Registered User
 
Pie O My's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Shawmut Center
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
You know, you don't have to deal in extremes.

The truth is the US vastly underperformed expectations, especially when you factor in that they sent their largest winter delegation ever.

No speed skating medals, no medal's in men's or women's singles figure skating. Some of its top athletes really disappointed.

And considering where they ranked in gold medals, definitely a sub-par effort.
i read somewhere that the US lost out on 5 gold medals to Russia due to 2 Americans that suited up for Russia and not for old glory. i'll try and dig it up.

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 12:31 PM
  #47
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Kind of odd, really - if you believe it's the world's greatest game, shouldn't you want everyone to play it?

And like most games (including football and baseball), it wasn't "invented," it developed/evolved from something else. The only mainstream "invented" sports I can think of are basketball and volleyball, both born in :ahem: Massachusetts.
By a Canadian though.

Don't forget that you guys have to keep Bieber now.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 12:33 PM
  #48
EverettMike
Registered User
 
EverettMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Everett, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
i read somewhere that the US lost out on 5 gold medals to Russia due to 2 Americans that suited up for Russia and not for old glory. i'll try and dig it up.
I know they basically imported a couple of speed skating medals from South Korea.

But the US not medaling at all in speed skating is astounding. Like, blow my mind astounding.

EverettMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 12:35 PM
  #49
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebottom View Post
Good for you. But I bet most people relate hockey to Canada amongst other things. Think of it as arrogant if you want, but hockey was invented in Canada, is a big part of life in Canada, and Canada has dominated this sport for ages. It's our unofficial national game. Remember when 90% of NHL players were Canadian even in the 80's? Yes, the game has expended to all corners of the earth, but it doesn't change the fact that its our #1 sport. So it is "our game". Maybe you can think of it as arrogant if you take it literally and assume that this motto is meant to be exclusive and that nobody else is allowed to play this game lol. But all this motto means is that Canada lives & breaths hockey.
Official actually.

Hockey is the official winter sport. Lacrosse is the official summer sport.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 12:42 PM
  #50
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair
 
Shoebottom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: 7 steps from my can
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Official actually.

Hockey is the official winter sport. Lacrosse is the official summer sport.
Thank you. Stand corrected. Thought Lacrosse was the only official one.

Shoebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.