HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

General Talk '14 — Canada

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-23-2014, 10:18 PM
  #1
NHL Dude 120
Registered User
 
NHL Dude 120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Ethiopia
Posts: 1,553
vCash: 135
General Talk '14 — Canada

like the title says create a roster for the 2014 whc, rules are

1. A player must be on a team not in a playoff position
2. limit Olympic players, i highly doubt they'd want to play any way. max of 3
3. One NHL rookie must be on the list. A rookie is defined as a player who still is defined as a prospect according to the criteria set by Hockey Futures.
4. Omit injured players

so my team is

Forwards
Jason Spezza
Eric Stall
Jordan Stall
Sean Monahan
Evander kane
Andrew Ladd
Taylor Hall
Nathan Horton
Kyle Turris
Huberdeau
RNH
Ryan Johannsen
Adam Henrique

Defense
Mark Giordano
Shea Weber
Tyler Myers
Karl Alzner
Travis Hamonic
Dan Hamhuis
Ryan Murray

G
Luongo
Ward
Holtby


basically with no research this is the best rough draft i could come up with. this is all tentative though. for people asking why i put alot of centers it because i figure they can adjust to play on the wing.

NHL Dude 120 is offline  
Old
02-23-2014, 10:23 PM
  #2
hitmen19
Registered User
 
hitmen19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Dude 120 View Post
like the title says create a roster for the 2014 whc, rules are

1. A player must be on a team not in a playoff position
2. limit Olympic players, i highly doubt they'd want to play any way. max of 3
3. One NHL rookie must be on the list. A rookie is defined as a player who still is defined as a prospect according to the criteria set by Hockey Futures.
4. Omit injured players

so my team is

Forwards
Jason Spezza
Eric Stall
Jordan Stall
Sean Monahan
Evander kane
Andrew Ladd
Taylor Hall
Nathan Horton
Kyle Turris
Huberdeau
RNH
Ryan Johannsen
Adam Henrique

Defense
Mark Giordano
Shea Weber
Tyler Myers
Karl Alzner
Travis Hamonic
Dan Hamhuis
Ryan Murray

G
Luongo
Ward
Holtby


basically with no research this is the best rough draft i could come up with. this is all tentative though. for people asking why i put alot of centers it because i figure they can adjust to play on the wing.
I have a feeling that spezza doesn't go. I think he is upset he didn't even get invited to camp after going so many times for Canada that he says no more. just a hunch

I don't see weber going

hitmen19 is offline  
Old
02-23-2014, 10:27 PM
  #3
NHL Dude 120
Registered User
 
NHL Dude 120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Ethiopia
Posts: 1,553
vCash: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmen19 View Post
I have a feeling that spezza doesn't go. I think he is upset he didn't even get invited to camp after going so many times for Canada that he says no more. just a hunch

I don't see weber going
I wasn't trying to go for the most realistic , it was hard to find good players to be on this team. yeah i bet Weber wont be on the team, but the back end lacked experience. Heck i could also have put mike smith.

NHL Dude 120 is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 07:03 AM
  #4
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo
 
TheFatOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 6,341
vCash: 500
Have a hard time seeing olympic players coming or veteran players like Staal and Spezza.

Maybe something like this:


Taylor Hall - Ryan Nugent Hopkins - Jordan Eberle
Clarke MacArthur - Kyle Turris - David Perron
Jeff Skinner - Mark Scheifele - Ryan Johansen
Andrew Ladd - Bryan Little - Evander Kane


Mark Giordano - Justin Schultz
Éric Gélinas - Patrick Wiercioch
Ryan Murray - Jason Garrison

TheFatOne is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 08:08 AM
  #5
JackSlater
Registered User
 
JackSlater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,207
vCash: 500
Hall E. Staal Eberle
Skinner Johansen Perron
Kane Turris Zajac
Ladd Little J. Staal
Nugent - Hopkins

Hamhuis Weber
Giordano Hamonic
Alzner Garrison
Murray

Luongo
Scrivens

Not good for Canada with most of the best players in playoff positions and Tavares out. Colorado or Dallas being eliminated would be the best for Canada's team. Maybe Toronto so that Canada can have goaltenders. This group would be big and solid defensively with some solid skating. I think Murray has a great shot at being on future editions of team Canada so he should get experience now.

JackSlater is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 09:50 AM
  #6
Stats01
Registered User
 
Stats01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,981
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatOne View Post
Have a hard time seeing olympic players coming or veteran players like Staal and Spezza.

Maybe something like this:


Taylor Hall - Ryan Nugent Hopkins - Jordan Eberle
Clarke MacArthur - Kyle Turris - David Perron
Jeff Skinner - Mark Scheifele - Ryan Johansen
Andrew Ladd - Bryan Little - Evander Kane


Mark Giordano - Justin Schultz
Éric Gélinas - Patrick Wiercioch
Ryan Murray - Jason Garrison
This is my issue...you go from the Olympics...to this..Look at the team..Arggg man this tournament is going to suck. Clarke ****ing MacArthur LOL!! Nobody from the Olympics is going to say yes. I don't blame them

Stats01 is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 09:55 AM
  #7
PAZ
.
 
PAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,935
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
This is my issue...you go from the Olympics...to this..Look at the team..Arggg man this tournament is going to suck. Clarke ****ing MacArthur LOL!! Nobody from the Olympics is going to say yes. I don't blame them
Most of the players on the Olympic team are going to be in the playoffs.

PAZ is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 10:41 AM
  #8
LiveeviL
No unique points
 
LiveeviL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 6,310
vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Why do you think the Olympic gold guys will refrain if they go the opportunity?

I mean, they love hockey and some of them could need a gold for their triple gold club which I think they care enough about, to spend a couple of weeks on.

Btw, first round knock-outs in SC got a chance to join I guess? 2nd too?

LiveeviL is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 10:42 AM
  #9
TOGuy14
Registered User
 
TOGuy14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatOne View Post
Have a hard time seeing olympic players coming or veteran players like Staal and Spezza.

Maybe something like this:


Taylor Hall - Ryan Nugent Hopkins - Jordan Eberle
Clarke MacArthur - Kyle Turris - David Perron
Jeff Skinner - Mark Scheifele - Ryan Johansen
Andrew Ladd - Bryan Little - Evander Kane


Mark Giordano - Justin Schultz
Éric Gélinas - Patrick Wiercioch
Ryan Murray - Jason Garrison
I would personally like to thank Edmonton for acquiring so many great young Canadian players while maintaining loser status to ensure they are all available for the World Cup. They are like our World Cup farm team right now lol.

TOGuy14 is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 11:22 AM
  #10
RED ARMY EAST
Registered User
 
RED ARMY EAST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Hall E. Staal Eberle
Skinner Johansen Perron
Kane Turris Zajac
Ladd Little J. Staal
Nugent - Hopkins

Hamhuis Weber
Giordano Hamonic
Alzner Garrison
Murray

Luongo
Scrivens

Not good for Canada with most of the best players in playoff positions and Tavares out. Colorado or Dallas being eliminated would be the best for Canada's team. Maybe Toronto so that Canada can have goaltenders. This group would be big and solid defensively with some solid skating. I think Murray has a great shot at being on future editions of team Canada so he should get experience now.
McKinnon?

RED ARMY EAST is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 11:31 AM
  #11
m4tt145
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,857
vCash: 500
Will any euros get an invite? Why/why not?

m4tt145 is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 11:37 AM
  #12
JackSlater
Registered User
 
JackSlater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
McKinnon?
If Colorado was not in a playoff position I would have picked MacKinnon. I would also have included O'Reilly and Duchene. I think that Duchene would play in the WC if healthy. Among other Canadian Olympians, I would guess that Benn and Subban would go if the option presents itself. I put Weber on the team but I am very confident he will not go given the Olympics and also the weird situation last year.

JackSlater is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 12:01 PM
  #13
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
If Colorado was not in a playoff position I would have picked MacKinnon. I would also have included O'Reilly and Duchene. I think that Duchene would play in the WC if healthy. Among other Canadian Olympians, I would guess that Benn and Subban would go if the option presents itself. I put Weber on the team but I am very confident he will not go given the Olympics and also the weird situation last year.


You know my opinion on that. Hockey Canada will never cover the insurance nut for his contract. Not for the freakin World Championships. Won't happen ever ever ever.
interesting exercise though. I have a roster somewhere in my files for this year, but it includes players who I believe will be available after the 1st rd. of the playoffs. just got to dig it out when I get the chance.

too bad Kruger found another gig, I think he should have been given a chance to coach the WHC team as a reward for his Olympic work.


Last edited by Mr Writer: 02-25-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Mr Writer is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 12:04 PM
  #14
Gigantor The Goalie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New London
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,598
vCash: 500
If the Avalanche do get eliminated early, four players could be available to bolster Team Canada. Duchene, ROR, MacKinnon and Barrie.

Gigantor The Goalie is online now  
Old
02-25-2014, 12:08 PM
  #15
Stats01
Registered User
 
Stats01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,981
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveeviL View Post
Why do you think the Olympic gold guys will refrain if they go the opportunity?

I mean, they love hockey and some of them could need a gold for their triple gold club which I think they care enough about, to spend a couple of weeks on.

Btw, first round knock-outs in SC got a chance to join I guess? 2nd too?
They'll refrain from it because most of these guys have families to be with. Playing hockey 7 months of the year is draining. You play pre-season, regular season, fly over to Russia play in the Olympics, come back and finish the regular season and try an push yourself in the playoffs..now do you get it? Who's really going to jump at the opportunity to go to Belarus in their off-season time and play in yet another tournament? These guys just won the most prestigious gold. Maybe I'm different but if I played in the Olympics and won gold, there's a good chance I'm going home for the summer.

My whole beef towards this tournament is that it's laughable to have the Olympics and the WC valued the same. You're telling me the tournament which has ALL the best players in the world playing it has the same value as a tournament that will have the likes of David Perron, Jason Garrison, James Reimer, etc...it's a joke. The IIHF looks bad when it comes to this sort of thing and it's why the IIHF rankings are full of ****.


Last edited by Stats01: 02-25-2014 at 12:29 PM.
Stats01 is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 12:23 PM
  #16
JackSlater
Registered User
 
JackSlater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveeviL View Post
Why do you think the Olympic gold guys will refrain if they go the opportunity?

I mean, they love hockey and some of them could need a gold for their triple gold club which I think they care enough about, to spend a couple of weeks on.

Btw, first round knock-outs in SC got a chance to join I guess? 2nd too?
I honestly doubt that anyone in North America cares about the triple gold club. It's the best international tournament, plus the best league tournament, plus... another international tournament. It doesn't make sense and makes the IIHF look a bit pathetic.

JackSlater is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 12:30 PM
  #17
Donald
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 267
vCash: 500
Wait - do they really hold the world championships in an Olympic year??

edit - well I'll be, they do http://www.iihfworlds2014.com/. Then what did the Olympic tournament just decide? IIHF is strange.

Donald is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 12:38 PM
  #18
Stats01
Registered User
 
Stats01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,981
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald View Post
Wait - do they really hold the world championships in an Olympic year??

edit - well I'll be, they do http://www.iihfworlds2014.com/. Then what did the Olympic tournament just decide? IIHF is strange.
That's what I'm saying! HAHA it's ridiculous. They have two ranking periods in one year?? One after the Olympics and then one after the WC...lol I just shake my head at this stuff. WTF didn't the Olympics prove that the World Championship will? The real World Championship was already played.

Stats01 is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 12:44 PM
  #19
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
That's what I'm saying! HAHA it's ridiculous. They have two ranking periods in one year?? One after the Olympics and then one after the WC...lol I just shake my head at this stuff. WTF didn't the Olympics prove that the World Championship will? The real World Championship was already played.
I believe the Euro Hockey Tour also counts towards ranking. I've noticed in previous years rankings will change before the World Hockey Championship gets under way once all 4 stages of the Euro Hockey have been completed.

Mr Writer is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 12:53 PM
  #20
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Hall E. Staal Eberle
Skinner Johansen Perron
Kane Turris Zajac
Ladd Little J. Staal
Nugent - Hopkins


Hamhuis Weber
Giordano Hamonic
Alzner Garrison
Murray

Luongo
Scrivens

Not good for Canada with most of the best players in playoff positions and Tavares out. Colorado or Dallas being eliminated would be the best for Canada's team. Maybe Toronto so that Canada can have goaltenders. This group would be big and solid defensively with some solid skating. I think Murray has a great shot at being on future editions of team Canada so he should get experience now.
Have we forgiven Mark Scheifele enough to give him a shot soon on the NT? He's had a pretty good run for 30 games... if he finishes strong...he may get some consideration. Although I think I'd rater give Nigel Dawes a shot before Scheifele.

Mr Writer is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 12:56 PM
  #21
Stats01
Registered User
 
Stats01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,981
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
I believe the Euro Hockey Tour also counts towards ranking. I've noticed in previous years rankings will change before the World Hockey Championship gets under way once all 4 stages of the Euro Hockey have been completed.
What is the Euro hockey tour? So these countries get extra points during this little tour?

Stats01 is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 01:05 PM
  #22
JJTT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oulu
Country: Finland
Posts: 5,754
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
I believe the Euro Hockey Tour also counts towards ranking. I've noticed in previous years rankings will change before the World Hockey Championship gets under way once all 4 stages of the Euro Hockey have been completed.
Lol, no it doesn't. That tourney is a complete joke and will not be played anymore after this year.

From IIHF
Quote:
The world ranking is based on the final positions of the last four Ice Hockey World Championships and last Olympic ice hockey tournament.
As for the topic, does guys like Weber who played in Olympics this year have a change to play in World Championship if they want?

JJTT is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 01:08 PM
  #23
Uncle Rotter
Registered User
 
Uncle Rotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kelowna, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
What is the Euro hockey tour? So these countries get extra points during this little tour?
Not in the IIHF rankings

Uncle Rotter is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 01:08 PM
  #24
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
What is the Euro hockey tour? So these countries get extra points during this little tour?
Russia Finland Sweden Czech Rep play 4 stages in a calendar year leading up to the World Hockey Championships. I assume IIHF points are awarded as I seen the rankings change prior to the WHC and assumed that the results of EHT are counted towards the IIHF rankings. I do not know for sure that they are I just concluded that they were.. as the rankings changing before the WHC seemed strange to me.

Mr Writer is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 01:09 PM
  #25
Uncle Rotter
Registered User
 
Uncle Rotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kelowna, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTT View Post
As for the topic, does guys like Weber who played in Olympics this year have a change to play in World Championship if they want?
If they want. Cory Perry did last time.

Uncle Rotter is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.