HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumor/Speculation Thread XXII: St Louis vs St Louis

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2014, 12:17 PM
Fire AV
#FreeMcIlrath

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Heisenberg View Post
I understand what you meant, which makes the "for free" comment a little confusing.

Callahan has value. Enough where you wouldn't need to add in a conditional 1st for a guy who will not be a part of our long term future plans.

A 1st would have to be added in a package of prospects and young, unproven, players. Not in a captain for captain swap.
A 2nd-3rd line rental does not have as much value as you seem to think

Old
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Still 5 times longer than Callahan's guaranteed 0.25 seasons.
Sure, unless you read the rest of my post saying the contract has been agreed upon before he is dealt.

Old
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
anyone notice how Boomer repeatedly said its what "he feels" is going to happen, rather than its what he actually heard is going to happen?
I for sure did.

He also said the NYR were going to "try"

I know he tweeted like it was a done deal... but "trying" is not a done deal.

I can try to win the lottery... doesn't mean it will happen.

Old
02-24-2014, 12:18 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Past performance is probably the best indicator of future performance we have. I don't think Marty's performance is going to fall off a cliff in the next 1.5 years.
It is when a guy is 28 or 30...but at 39? How many more years of elite play are you guys really expecting from Marty? 1? 2?

Old
02-24-2014, 12:19 PM
Hunter Gathers
No one deserves . .

Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
It is when a guy is 28 or 30...but at 39? How many more years of elite play are you guys really expecting from Marty? 1? 2?
3-4.

Old
02-24-2014, 12:20 PM
Clown Fiesta
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
I understand what you meant, which makes the "for free" comment a little confusing.

Callahan has value. Enough where you wouldn't need to add in a conditional 1st for a guy who will not be a part of our long term future plans.

A 1st would have to be added in a package of prospects and young, unproven, players. Not in a captain for captain swap.
The captain for captain crap doesn't matter, it's our captain who happens to be a 2nd liner for their leading scorer who even with Stamkos is still their 2nd leading scorer at worst. He's just as valuable to their team as Stamkos is, is Callahan just as valuable to our team as Lundqvist? Would you do a hypothetical trade of an unhappy Lundqvist for James Reimer straight up?

Old
02-24-2014, 12:22 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufheben View Post
A lot more, unless it's a brutal contract.
I think this is where I am. I think TB was the team who could negotiate.

Old
02-24-2014, 12:22 PM
Fire AV
#FreeMcIlrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Sure, unless you read the rest of my post saying the contract has been agreed upon before he is dealt.
Which makes the whole debate irrelevant, because, my thought was that the condition for the pick is whether Callahan re-signs or not.

If he's already signed, it's a straight swap.

Old
02-24-2014, 12:23 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreider View Post
Which makes the whole debate irrelevant, because, my thought was that the condition for the pick is whether Callahan re-signs or not.

If he's already signed, it's a straight swap.
I don't think a signed Callahan for 7 years = 38 year old St Louis signed for 1 more season

Old
Clown Fiesta
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
For the love of God, stop devaluing our players.

It's a ****ing shame. He's been the heart and soul of this team for the last 4-5 years.

He has a lot of value.
Yeah in the magical land of Heartandsouldia, his value as a hockey player, which is what matters the most is quite a bit less than MSL especially considering he'll only be providing heart and soul for a few months in Tampa.

Old
Fire AV
#FreeMcIlrath

Quote:
For the love of God, stop devaluing our players.

It's a ****ing shame. He's been the heart and soul of this team for the last 4-5 years.

He has a lot of value.
Him being the heart and soul of our team means nothing to anyone else.

St. Louis has been the heart and soul of Tampa for years too

Old
02-24-2014, 12:25 PM
Thirty One
k.

Quote:
OK, well for me it goes:

St. Louis for 1.25 years > Callahan for 0.25 years > No Callahan or St. Louis > Callahan for 7 years

And from Brooksie's report, it sounds like Tampa is uninterested in 7 years for Callahan, too

Old
02-24-2014, 12:26 PM
Fire AV
#FreeMcIlrath

Quote:
I don't think a signed Callahan for 7 years = 38 year old St Louis signed for 1 more season
I do.

Look at what Iginla and Jagr got, and they were neither signed for a year not reigning Art Ross winners.

Old
02-24-2014, 12:27 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
OK, well for me it goes:

St. Louis for 1.25 years > Callahan for 0.25 years > No Callahan or St. Louis > Callahan for 7 years

And from Brooksie's report, it sounds like Tampa is uninterested in 7 years for Callahan, too
Brooks also said they were uninterestd in a Calahan for St Louis swap. Which do you believe?

Old
02-24-2014, 12:28 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreider View Post
I do.

Look at what Iginla and Jagr got, and they were neither signed for a year not reigning Art Ross winners.
St Louis also has a NMC. Same deal with Nash. He chooses where he can go.

Old
02-24-2014, 12:29 PM
Thirty One
k.

Quote:
Brooks also said they were uninterestd in a Calahan for St Louis swap. Which do you believe?
Both.

Old
02-24-2014, 12:30 PM
Clown Fiesta
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Stop.

Leverage. If you think TB owner wants to drag out a public battle with his fans most beloved player... you're wrong.

Florida isn't a hockey state. The hockey teams there struggle for revenue.

They're a playoff team now. They want to get a return that will help them for this year. They will probably offer Cally a large contract too, which would mean they will be giving us a conditional pick, rather than the other way around.

Tell me how a public battle between MSL and the TB franchise helps them in any way? It doesn't.
Stop. Collaborate and listen.

Even with all the leverage in the world you have to give value, do you think that a car dealer will sell you a car under cost because you're the only person to come by his dealership that day? He may really want to sell a car sure, but he still has to get close to what it is worth.

Do you really think that a team in a non hockey market would want to alienate it's most committed fans by trading the teams most important player the last decade and a half for two months of Ryan Callahan's heart and soul?

Old
02-24-2014, 12:30 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufheben View Post
Why?
Is this a trick question? If we trade for MSL, his next 105 games (not counting playoffs and barring another trade) will be for us. What he did in tampa doesn't matter. What matters is what he will do for us.

I expect that he'll be pretty much the same player for us as he has been for tampa. Doesn't mean I want to trade for him though.

Old
02-24-2014, 12:32 PM
OverTheCap

Tampa's beat writer echoed the same sentiments as Brooks - a 1-for-1 swap is a pipe dream and nor is Tampa interested at signing Callahan at his asking price:

Quote:
But if the swap was simply St. Louis for Rangers captain Ryan Callahan, Sather either doesn’t know Yzerman very well or he was merely fishing as part of his attempt to trade Callahan before the right wing leaves New York as an unrestricted free agent.

So it is highly unlikely Yzerman would go for a straight up swap for Callahan, especially since there is the possibility he would be no more than a rental if he decided to test free agency.

In addition, it is believed Callahan is looking for a six-year deal for about $6.75 million a year. That seems more than Tampa Bay would like to commit for a player who, though the type of gritty leader teams desire, has been injured and is struggling with 11 goals, 24 points in 42 games.
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightn...c-snub/2167047

Closed Thread