HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Satisfied if Chia CAN`T get anthing done before the deadline??

View Poll Results: Satisfied if Chia CAN`T get anything done by the deadline?
Yes 94 54.65%
No 78 45.35%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-24-2014, 09:36 AM
ODAAT

vCash: 500
Satisfied if Chia CAN`T get anthing done before the deadline??

While I would be a touch more comfortable if he can find a reliable stay at home D-man with some playoff experience, I also understand that with so many teams having virtually no room to move or acquire anyone, a move of any substance will be unlikely this deadline.

I`d be ok if things remained the way they are right now

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 10:04 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

No. They clearly need help on the backend in the form of a stay at home, veteran d-man. I don't think the cost to obtain a guy like that should be too prohibitive, so I will be disappointed.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 10:05 AM
Trap Jesus

We'd probably be in tough without another top 4 d-man against Pittsburgh. Trade for a top 4 guy and I'm happy.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 10:05 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

I certainly don't want him to pay out the nose for a temporary replacement for Seidenmoose.

So yeah if he can't make a deal w/o getting hosed I'd be fine with him not doing it.

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 10:08 AM
BrainOfJ
\_(ツ)_/

If Seidenberg wasn't hurt, and he stood pat at the deadline...that's one thing. They would have some spots to tweak like the third line, but overall, it would be okay.

However, we lost a defender that has played ~27 minutes a night for us in the playoffs. That's something that you have to at least address. I doubt there is another Dennis Seidenberg out there(although, Dennis Seidenberg wasn't Dennis Seidenberg until we traded for him), but you have to at least address it.

You've gotta be built to beat Pittsburgh and Chicago. Without at least a fill in, you're trusting a pairing made 2 of Hamilton, Bartkowski, Miller, to go up against Malkin/Neal and the Kane line.

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 10:11 AM
hoss75

I agree with everyone...
I wouldn't be mad at Chia.. given the difficulty in the market as ODAAT pointed out.. But I would be disappointed in knowing the team is less likely to go on a run to the finals.

hoss75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 10:26 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

What do you mean by "satisfied"? If Chiarelli doesn't make a deal, what are my options? Demand a refund? Root for another team? Go on a hunger strike?

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 10:36 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
What do you mean by "satisfied"? If Chiarelli doesn't make a deal, what are my options? Demand a refund? Root for another team? Go on a hunger strike?
I think ODAAT means not having an internet meltdown over it

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 10:37 AM
Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
While I would be a touch more comfortable if he can find a reliable stay at home D-man with some playoff experience, I also understand that with so many teams having virtually no room to move or acquire anyone, a move of any substance will be unlikely this deadline.

I`d be ok if things remained the way they are right now
I think my feelings would change based on how other teams approach the deadline. If all the teams stayed pat, I would be okay with this bruins team heading into the playoffs. But if Pittsburgh for instance went out and acquired bruins killer Thomas vanek then I'd be telling a different story. So I think to be safe they need to make a move because they can't rely on their competition not making any

Montecristo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 10:43 AM
KnightofBoston
Mnt. Carlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Be not satisfied?

Yes, if PC can't fill a hole or two during a dwindling window given Chara's age, I won't be happy.

He didn't trade Tyler Seguin to just "stand pat" now.

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 10:45 AM
Madturk

I'd like to get another veteran backliner. There's really no reason Chia wouldnt be able to swinga deal like this without having to give up the farm. If the organization is committed to making another serious cup run, they should look to bolster the defensive corp.

I think we're pretty deep with our forwards and I'm pretty confident Rask will be up to the challenge.

Madturk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 10:45 AM
theswede2013

Chi is on record saying that he doesn't want to move anyone from the varsity team. Now we know that GMs words are not written in stone. But I can only see them giving up prospects and picks at this point. We need depth for the playoffs. While Seids will be missed I think the emergence of guys like Miller and if McQuader can get healthy we should be in good shape.

theswede2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:07 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
I think ODAAT means not having an internet meltdown over it
I kid, mostly.

But seriously, if fans want someone who's a top-four defenseman, I'm not sure how available those guys are, unless you want to pay through the proverbial nose. Would robbing Peter to pay Paul work out? And I think it was Bob Beers who noted on radio the other day that there aren't going to be many clubs around with an inclination to help out the Bruins.

The thing is, as I've noted before, we as fans watch the goings-on among GMs through a figurative keyhole. I don't know who Chiarelli is talking to, what kind of offers he's hearing (if any), what the exchange rate (so to speak) is. Sure, I'd love to see him trade drek for gold, but I'm not going to insist that happen. There's a difference between hope and wishful thinking.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:09 AM
weaponomega

Yes I would be.

They could use a veteran defensive defenseman, but if the players available are overpriced, then its better to not overpay.

I don't see the huge hole or weakness in the team unlike in past years where Chia needed to make a deal at the deadline. Overall I've been happy with the way the young blueline has been playing and both Bartkowski and Krug have playoff experience.

weaponomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:12 AM
Rubber Biscuit

It would depend for me on what other guys go for. If a guy like MacDonald goes for a first or a pick + prospect, I'd be pretty disappointed. If nobody really moves outside of depth forward and defensemen, I'd assume prices were too high and I'd accept that

Rubber Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:13 AM
patty59

I'd like to see him pick up a vet d-man. like LSCII says. Also I hope he's looking for a guy to play on that 3rd line wing spot and get Kelly on the 4th line.

Thornton is cooked, I know he'll likely be on that playoff roster, but I don't think he should be. You get a guy that can score a goal here and there to play with Soderberg and Eriksson and you have a legit threat there, I'm not a fan of how it stands now.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:23 AM
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

Would be nice to have a real good #2 Dman & a Ryder type on the 3rd line wing, but don't see it happening cause of the cost. When I look at this team and compare with other teams, I'm satisfied. Don't think there is a deeper team out there.
Chara-Hamilton
Bart-Boychuk is a solid enough top 4.

I'd also put Paille on the 3rd line, guy has break away speed and despite not being a great finisher, makes things happen. That's more than can be said about Kelly. But I'd be OK with Kelly playing wing on the 3rd line as well.

Shoebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:23 AM
BNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
I'd like to see him pick up a vet d-man. like LSCII says. Also I hope he's looking for a guy to play on that 3rd line wing spot and get Kelly on the 4th line.

Thornton is cooked, I know he'll likely be on that playoff roster, but I don't think he should be. You get a guy that can score a goal here and there to play with Soderberg and Eriksson and you have a legit threat there, I'm not a fan of how it stands now.
I agree,one talented defense first defenseman and 1 winger short. Gun ain't fully loaded the way it stands.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:27 AM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Hell no. This team is capable of winning it all. I would like to see Chia show some urgency at the deadline and try to make the team better. They are going to need to be better to beat whomever comes out of the West. I would be okay if they gave up some substantial future assets to get markedly better in the short term.

11MilesPerJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:43 AM
b in vancouver

The East is there for the taking this year and I'd hate for the opportunity to be lost with another injury or two on defence or if some of the kids fade during the last month of the season or through the grind of the playoffs.

Also have to be a bit concerned that a few of these other teams might load up a bit at the deadline and start levelling the field. Next year might even be tougher. I have nightmares of Vanek in a Pens uniform.

I agree with everyone saying another LHD but I also think they could use one more veteran up front. It's rare when teams have all 12 guys healthy and I would prefer they didn't have to rely on Spooner or Caron if someone goes down.

I think they could win without making any moves but - I still remember all those missed opportunities in the 80's and 90's when Harry wouldn't make that one extra move to put them over the top. You only have so many legitimate chances at The Cup that I think you have to take your shot when you can.

b in vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:52 AM
TheBigBadB

He certainly needs a Vet top four defenseman. If Chara ever went down for any extended time in the playoffs they are screwed. Getting someone like Girardi would go along way with having Vet Depth in case worst case scenarios happen.

TheBigBadB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:56 AM
OLD51JOHN

This Team

Is in first place for a reason..When I think of all the mistakes that are made with rental player I cringe.. If we can not depend upon the guys that we draft ?? That the fault of our organization..

OLD51JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:58 AM
Number8

I voted no because I think relying on the young guys on D for the duration of a long run is high expectations.

That said, it's times like these that show just how hard the job of an NHL GM is. There are FIVE teams out of the playoff races.

The rest are all very much in the hunt and close enough that that is not going to change much if at all between now and the deadline.

Number8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:58 AM
BrainOfJ
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD51JOHN View Post
Is in first place for a reason..When I think of all the mistakes that are made with rental player I cringe.. If we can not depend upon the guys that we draft ?? That the fault of our organization..
I pray we aren't depending on Jordan Caron, Zach Hamill, and Joe Colborne to get it done against Pitt .

Dougie is the only defender we drafted that we'd be depending on. I trust him, I trust him with the future of the D corp, do I trust him today to be able to play a shut down role against either Crosby or Malkin? No.

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 12:01 PM
Hali33

Not really.
While our current D have gone above and beyond my expectations I still think we are a bit too vulnerable in defense especially with potential injuries. I still think we need a solid veteran defenseman to go into the playoffs. I don't want to look back and see this team bounced out early because our young guys got picked apart by the higher intensity and stronger teams of the playoffs. I think we have the available pieces to make a trade without selling the farm. Our forwards are set. I want another cup before Chara retires and I expect Chia to go all in.

Hali33 is offline   Reply With Quote