HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Satisfied if Chia CAN`T get anthing done before the deadline??

View Poll Results: Satisfied if Chia CAN`T get anything done by the deadline?
Yes 94 54.65%
No 78 45.35%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-24-2014, 02:05 PM
  #51
PlayMakers
Registered User
 
PlayMakers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wellesley, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,762
vCash: 500
Yes, based on who we know to be available, I'd be okay with Chiarelli standing pat.

You can't replace Dennis Seidenberg. There just isn't anyone out there of that quality available. So it seems foolish to me to waste assets on a guy who may be no better than Bartkowski.

Would I like to see them add someone to push Kelly to the 4th line? Yes. And tbh, I think there are players available who could fill that role, but I don't see Chiarelli even considering that kind of move. He likes Kelly more than Julien IMHO, and I'd bet the farm he thinks Kells still has some clutch "cage" left in the tank. If nothing else, he (rightly) believes Kelly will be able to help out Soderberg on Dzone draws and in the Dzone in general. So I see Chiarelli letting it ride with this forward group.

That said, I do expect PC to land a 7/8 type (like Wade Redden last year) as injury insurance... So I guess for me, 'standing pat' means not changing the lineup we see on the ice.

PlayMakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 03:45 PM
  #52
Dellstrom
Pastrnasty
 
Dellstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 20,448
vCash: 1150
No. We need a veteran d-man.

We're a deep team, but Seids is our #2 guy. There's no one like him on the market, but we need to get the BPA for that role. Chara doesn't have that many years left. The majority of our core are in their primes. You can't waste these years. We don't need to pick up a forward and I'd be absolutely fine if we don't, but if we can get a Whitney/Hemsky type, great.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 03:51 PM
  #53
qc
#TeamClode
 
qc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 12,634
vCash: 69
I'd rather stand pat than give up too much for a rental. If the asking prices are reasonable, and we stand pat, only then will I be upset with Chia.

qc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 04:38 PM
  #54
ODAAT
Registered User
 
ODAAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
I think ODAAT means not having an internet meltdown over it
Never happens here does it??

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 04:39 PM
  #55
Killer Bees
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ohio sticks
Posts: 465
vCash: 500
I gotta say no, I won't be satisfied. Gotta gear up to compete with what Pittsburgh is gonna bring at you in May. I know it's slim pickings with only a handful of teams out of it so I think you gotta go for MacDonald or a guy like Tallinder from Buffalo. They're looking to move guys so...

Also, maybe bring Ference back

Killer Bees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 04:45 PM
  #56
sarge88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 11,575
vCash: 500
I'm always disappointed when they don't make a deal. If I were a GM, my impulsivity would make Phil Esposito look like a slacker.

With that being said, no deal is better than a bad one but I always assume that there was something that could have been done to improve the team.

sarge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 04:49 PM
  #57
acr*
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: My Pit of Danger
Country:
Posts: 47,532
vCash: 500
If we want to solidify our chances at winning a cup, we should get a third line center and a top 4 defenseman.

That said, if the deals aren't there, I don't expect Chia to sell the farm. He knows value and won't give too much for a deal. He's shown he's willing to stand pat.

We can win with what we have, and there's no pressure to win now with a window closing or anything. I'd prefer to improve, but it's not a necessity.

acr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 04:56 PM
  #58
TCL40
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 20,527
vCash: 500
I won't be satisfied at standing pay if the goal is a cup-just don't think the kids can carry this team to a cup.

However, I can understand if he can't find the right deal for the right price-I can understand right now wanting hang on to the kids-at least for the time being-and Seidenberg is coming back next season so any Dman they picked up would be a rental or immediately up for trade because the team doesn't need another Dman next season.

i think the team is actually trying to groom Bart into Seids' future replacement and the kid has been eating a lot of minutes (where Chara's could be shortened or when Chara was out). Dougie is clearly viewed as Chara's replacement and Krug is already contributing.

Hate to be Chia right now and I can see a reluctance to move some of the emerging kids for an aging Dman who may not fit the system.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 05:04 PM
  #59
RedeyeRocketeer
Registered User
 
RedeyeRocketeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,922
vCash: 500
Wow this board has come along way. Pleasantly surprised by the poll results. And also voted that I'd be fine if he did nothing.

RedeyeRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 05:22 PM
  #60
BklyNBruiN
HFBoards Sponsor
 
BklyNBruiN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: BKLYN N.Y.
Country: United States
Posts: 11,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
...

If Chiarelli doesn't manage to nab a significant defenseman by the deadline, the Bruins will not win the Cup this season. And that's what it comes down for to me. Team is so close to being there.
That's basically what I believe also. Its not going to be easy getting someone especially with so many teams still in the hunt. This team is going to need that 1 piece to give them a good chance of putting them over the top, without it I just don't see them getting there. I hope he can make it happen.

No I won't be satisfied, because this team is not going to win without that piece.


Last edited by BklyNBruiN: 02-24-2014 at 05:33 PM.
BklyNBruiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 05:32 PM
  #61
BklyNBruiN
HFBoards Sponsor
 
BklyNBruiN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: BKLYN N.Y.
Country: United States
Posts: 11,313
vCash: 500
Its funny seeing this league struggle to keep players and or acquire players, and all while you make sure you stay within that enormous cap.. Where in Baseball there throwing 150 Million dollar contracts at players like it aint .... Baseball players hahaha The number on that Cap is what makes Peter's job even harder. Its amazing the juggling and decisions these guys have to make and most of it is based off that number


Last edited by BklyNBruiN: 02-24-2014 at 05:44 PM.
BklyNBruiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 05:33 PM
  #62
Bruins Stooge
Spread Out
 
Bruins Stooge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hartford County CT
Country: United States
Posts: 4,658
vCash: 500
It's really tough to say until you know what the price of the Market is. If overrated or 5/6 type defenseman are catching top dollar I don't feel like wasting young assets on a player that may not be any better then Miller or Bart. Chia is pretty good value wise so I trust him.

As far as forwards, I wouldn't mind a cheap depth pick up if it lands up on our door step, but if not I won't lose sleep. I think they have a lot of trust in their 12 forwards and come playoff time should/when an injury comes around I think they feel confident in players like Spooner and Florek to slot them in need be.

Bruins Stooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 05:46 PM
  #63
Trap Jesus
Registered User
 
Trap Jesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 12,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeyeRocketeer View Post
Wow this board has come along way. Pleasantly surprised by the poll results. And also voted that I'd be fine if he did nothing.
I dunno, I'm surprised more people don't think we need to capitalize on this window of opportunity. Chara's 37 for this year's playoffs, our main core is mostly in their prime, and the East is the weakest it's ever been, especially at the top (Pittsburgh seems to be the only legitimate threat). I just don't know if doing nothing would sit well with me when all that is considered. I'm not talking swinging for the fences, but I at least think they need another top 4 guy to help ease Seids loss.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 06:40 PM
  #64
Bruwinz37
Registered User
 
Bruwinz37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
What do you mean by "satisfied"? If Chiarelli doesn't make a deal, what are my options? Demand a refund? Root for another team? Go on a hunger strike?
Quit the board?

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 06:41 PM
  #65
RedeyeRocketeer
Registered User
 
RedeyeRocketeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
I dunno, I'm surprised more people don't think we need to capitalize on this window of opportunity. Chara's 37 for this year's playoffs, our main core is mostly in their prime, and the East is the weakest it's ever been, especially at the top (Pittsburgh seems to be the only legitimate threat). I just don't know if doing nothing would sit well with me when all that is considered. I'm not talking swinging for the fences, but I at least think they need another top 4 guy to help ease Seids loss.
What top 4 UFA do you know? There are a couple, curious who does it for you.

It can't be a non-UFA for a bunch of reasons related to the cap that Dom has explained numerous times, and even if it is a UFA, if he's a true top 4, we'll have to send salary back. What salary you sending back?

RedeyeRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 06:56 PM
  #66
Watch for the Yeti
Registered User
 
Watch for the Yeti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Swansea, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,485
vCash: 500
I would not be happy, to be honest. We are fine up front, but we definitely need more depth on the blueline.

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 07:20 PM
  #67
GordonHowe
Registered User
 
GordonHowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dorchester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
Yes, based on who we know to be available, I'd be okay with Chiarelli standing pat.

You can't replace Dennis Seidenberg. There just isn't anyone out there of that quality available. So it seems foolish to me to waste assets on a guy who may be no better than Bartkowski.

Would I like to see them add someone to push Kelly to the 4th line? Yes. And tbh, I think there are players available who could fill that role, but I don't see Chiarelli even considering that kind of move. He likes Kelly more than Julien IMHO, and I'd bet the farm he thinks Kells still has some clutch "cage" left in the tank. If nothing else, he (rightly) believes Kelly will be able to help out Soderberg on Dzone draws and in the Dzone in general. So I see Chiarelli letting it ride with this forward group.

That said, I do expect PC to land a 7/8 type (like Wade Redden last year) as injury insurance... So I guess for me, 'standing pat' means not changing the lineup we see on the ice.
Solid analysis.

You guys know far better than me, but I would be willing to pony up some prospects for a top 6 defenseman. I don't know who that would be, and I don't know what combination of prospects I'd deal.

I'll certainly take any decent defensive depth given youth & inexperience. I don't see the Bruins going very deep with what they have at present. I like I like, and realize that Bart & Tory have playoff experience, but we need vet presence.

To parrot another, whoever it is, if it's anyone, it's likely we've never heard of the guy. Not a bad thing. We'd never heard of Dennis, Chris or Rich, either. (I'm a big fan of the first two, and whatever else, Peverley gave us speed & timely goals during the Cup run.)

Another point everyone else has made: We now lack team speed (though speed & attack on the back end has increased significantly). It's hard to believe quickness can be lost through the subtraction of just two players. If it's MTL or TO in the first round, we'd better find an answer.

GordonHowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 07:26 PM
  #68
UConn126
Bass Player.
 
UConn126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,699
vCash: 500
I'm pretty satisfied. Yes, there are moves Chia could make, but I don't know that they're necessarily ones he should make. The Bruins are in a position to be a dominant team for a very long time, with a plethora of attractive young assets that are only beginning to show what they're worth. I'd rather keep our wealth of depth than trade some of it for a rental.

I know a lot of people are nervous about how the kids will play come playoff time, but I think it would be beneficial to the organization if they all got some playoff experience, especially playing together. It would be a great opportunity for them to grow together as a unit and further their chemistry. Give the group of Hamilton, Miller, Krug, and Bartkowski a bit more time and experience and they could develop into one of the most effective and dynamics d-cores in the league.

UConn126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 09:02 PM
  #69
radmcfad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 155
vCash: 500
I firmly believe that some of your prospect pool should be used as "trade capital" even for a rental. I do not want to see another Rolston/Mottau/Zanon fiasco. You have to give up something good to get something good. The Cup must always be the objective. Roll the dice and go for it.

radmcfad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 09:21 PM
  #70
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by radmcfad View Post
I firmly believe that some of your prospect pool should be used as "trade capital" even for a rental. I do not want to see another Rolston/Mottau/Zanon fiasco. You have to give up something good to get something good. The Cup must always be the objective. Roll the dice and go for it.
Winning the trade deadline, and gaining great praise is easy, but getting guys who fit properly and make your team better is Much harder.

Some people like to point to the pitt model, and I agree, look at the model and see the failure of their attempts last year. Went out and gave up a ton of assets at the deadline to go out and pick a a variety of mismatched talent, played some out of position, and really ended up ended up with a complete mess of a team when they played Boston

JoeIsAStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 09:54 PM
  #71
Bruinator
Registered User
 
Bruinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
Yes, based on who we know to be available, I'd be okay with Chiarelli standing pat.

You can't replace Dennis Seidenberg. There just isn't anyone out there of that quality available. So it seems foolish to me to waste assets on a guy who may be no better than Bartkowski.

Would I like to see them add someone to push Kelly to the 4th line? Yes. And tbh, I think there are players available who could fill that role, but I don't see Chiarelli even considering that kind of move. He likes Kelly more than Julien IMHO, and I'd bet the farm he thinks Kells still has some clutch "cage" left in the tank. If nothing else, he (rightly) believes Kelly will be able to help out Soderberg on Dzone draws and in the Dzone in general. So I see Chiarelli letting it ride with this forward group.

That said, I do expect PC to land a 7/8 type (like Wade Redden last year) as injury insurance... So I guess for me, 'standing pat' means not changing the lineup we see on the ice.
Agree totally Bill. This team has proven this year that they can play with anyone. The emergence of Miller as a Seidenberg "Type" replacement gives us tremendous depth on D. A cheap vet dman for 5th rounder as an insurance policy should do just fine. Keep the young guys in the fold. Keep the team chemistry. Win Cup. I think that about covers it.

Bruinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 09:57 PM
  #72
bruinsfan46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,460
vCash: 500
Chris Phillips is pretty old and kind of meh at this point in his career, Andrew MacDonald is not a top four defenseman on a good NHL hockey team and I'd rather not overpay for Dan Girardi when we saw how bad he's capable of being when he played against the Bruins in the playoffs. The veteran defensemen market is freaking awful, if Chia can do his thing and pull off another deal like when he brought Seidenberg in then that's great, if he can't so be it. The list of guys noticeably better than Bartkowski and who won't cost an arm and a leg is really, really short.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 10:25 PM
  #73
WhalerTurnedBruin55
Registered User
 
WhalerTurnedBruin55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by acr View Post
If we want to solidify our chances at winning a cup, we should get a third line center and a top 4 defenseman.

That said, if the deals aren't there, I don't expect Chia to sell the farm. He knows value and won't give too much for a deal. He's shown he's willing to stand pat.

We can win with what we have, and there's no pressure to win now with a window closing or anything. I'd prefer to improve, but it's not a necessity.
Who are you looking at specifically, because the way I see it we have Kelly, Soderberg, and Spooner in the wings... so he needs to be a cut and dry improvement to all of them, or able to play the wings.

Ideally, any forward we pick up needs to push Kelly down to the 4th line centering Paille and Campbell.

I agree, we need a legit top 4, but who? Maybe Chia will be creative here. I'm thinking non-rental.

WhalerTurnedBruin55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 10:35 PM
  #74
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 19,658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BklyNBruiN View Post
That's basically what I believe also. Its not going to be easy getting someone especially with so many teams still in the hunt. This team is going to need that 1 piece to give them a good chance of putting them over the top, without it I just don't see them getting there. I hope he can make it happen.

No I won't be satisfied, because this team is not going to win without that piece.
How do you know?

Not to pick on you specifically, but such assured statements always make me scratch my head. The Bruins are one of the tops teams in the NHL, even without Seidenberg, but more importantly, in the playoffs, nothing is guaranteed.

Everyone "knew" in 2011 that the Bruins were no match for the juggernaut Canucks. Everyone "knew" in 2013 that the Bruins couldn't stop Malkin and Crosby. Everyone "knew" in the spring of 2013 that the Red Sox wouldn't make the playoffs. I've been following sports for four decades, and the only thing I know is that I don't "know" anything with absolute certainty.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 10:57 PM
  #75
Mr. Make-Believe
Moderator
Pass me another nail
 
Mr. Make-Believe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Erotic Fantasies
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
How do you know?

Not to pick on you specifically, but such assured statements always make me scratch my head. The Bruins are one of the tops teams in the NHL, even without Seidenberg, but more importantly, in the playoffs, nothing is guaranteed.

Everyone "knew" in 2011 that the Bruins were no match for the juggernaut Canucks. Everyone "knew" in 2013 that the Bruins couldn't stop Malkin and Crosby. Everyone "knew" in the spring of 2013 that the Red Sox wouldn't make the playoffs. I've been following sports for four decades, and the only thing I know is that I don't "know" anything with absolute certainty.
I "knew" in 2011 that the Bruins were Championship worthy.

I "knew" in 2012 that they wouldn't get past the Capitals.

I "knew" last season that if they got past Toronto, they would look better with each passing playoff round... But I was worried about the Leafs. We ended up seeing the better (and healthier) Blackhawks team win in the Final, but I was right then too.

You're right though. I don't know anything. Not for sure. But I feel as though I have a pretty decent feel for where this team is at and where it needs to be to be successful. It is with a fair amount of certainty that I predict that a defense which is comprised half and half between rookie/sophomore and veteran, with an aging Chara and no Seidenberg... is NOT Cup material. And I "know" it would be a real shame if this opportunity was passed because management felt as though we were "good enough, I'm sure".

Mr. Make-Believe is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.