Notices

Goaltending

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2003, 04:01 PM
nordique

vCash:
Goaltending

Any chance the Flames pick up someone like Brian Boucher or Steve Shields off waivers?

I think Boucher could be an excellent addition to the Flames...someone who could really push Turek for the starters' role...and if he does well, he'd be marketable to another team if someone like Krahn or Medvedev makes their way through the system quickly.

Old
10-01-2003, 04:40 PM
Big Deaner

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Deaner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique
Any chance the Flames pick up someone like Brian Boucher or Steve Shields off waivers?

I think Boucher could be an excellent addition to the Flames...someone who could really push Turek for the starters' role...and if he does well, he'd be marketable to another team if someone like Krahn or Medvedev makes their way through the system quickly.
I don't think we'd be able to get Boucher just because of his salary. It was 2 million last year and probably in the same ballpark this year.

Old
10-01-2003, 09:39 PM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
I doubt the Flames will take either one, but if I had a choice, I'd take Shields over Boucher......

2011-12: The start of a new making the playoffs streak!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CalDevil3219
Old
10-02-2003, 12:55 AM
ForeignFlame

I don't think the Flames will take either of them. According to nhlpa.com, Boucher is making $2 million this season, and Shields $1.2 million.

I doubt McLennan gets picked up, so his salary will have to be paid no matter where he's playing. If he's bought out, that's still more money on top of what the replacement backup is making.

The increase in budget versus the (probably minimal) on-ice improvement is most likely not going to be worth the trouble.

If the Flames don't go with McLennan as the backup, they're probably better off giving it to one of our young guys waiting in the wings.

Old
10-02-2003, 11:19 AM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignFlame
I don't think the Flames will take either of them. According to nhlpa.com, Boucher is making $2 million this season, and Shields $1.2 million.

I doubt McLennan gets picked up, so his salary will have to be paid no matter where he's playing. If he's bought out, that's still more money on top of what the replacement backup is making.

The increase in budget versus the (probably minimal) on-ice improvement is most likely not going to be worth the trouble.

If the Flames don't go with McLennan as the backup, they're probably better off giving it to one of our young guys waiting in the wings.
0% chance of Boucher or Shields becoming Flames. Brent Krahn has played well and may be forcing Sutter to think about what would be better for the team, keeping McLennan or going with Brent and playing him 20+ games (assuming he plays well).

Old
10-02-2003, 01:19 PM
Saprykin Fan

hey

Milan Hnilcka, would be a good aquisiton i think.

Old
10-02-2003, 05:36 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM
0% chance of Boucher or Shields becoming Flames. Brent Krahn has played well and may be forcing Sutter to think about what would be better for the team, keeping McLennan or going with Brent and playing him 20+ games (assuming he plays well).
Didn't Sutter say that there was no way he was keeping Krahn up, and that he's going to the ECHL so he can play full-time?

Old
10-03-2003, 06:28 AM
Red Machine

Shields

Didn't Sutter coach Shields in San Jose. Dont know if that means anything but Sutter likes his old San Jose players. Dont know if he was too fond of Shields though, he was there number 1 goalie for a year or two. Had one breakout year there too. He could be a very reliable back up for sure.

Closed Thread