HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Goaltending

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-01-2003, 04:01 PM
  #1
nordique
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Goaltending

Any chance the Flames pick up someone like Brian Boucher or Steve Shields off waivers?

I think Boucher could be an excellent addition to the Flames...someone who could really push Turek for the starters' role...and if he does well, he'd be marketable to another team if someone like Krahn or Medvedev makes their way through the system quickly.

 
Old
10-01-2003, 04:40 PM
  #2
Big Deaner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 511
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Deaner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique
Any chance the Flames pick up someone like Brian Boucher or Steve Shields off waivers?

I think Boucher could be an excellent addition to the Flames...someone who could really push Turek for the starters' role...and if he does well, he'd be marketable to another team if someone like Krahn or Medvedev makes their way through the system quickly.
I don't think we'd be able to get Boucher just because of his salary. It was 2 million last year and probably in the same ballpark this year.

Big Deaner is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 09:39 PM
  #3
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Jared Ramsden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,212
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
I doubt the Flames will take either one, but if I had a choice, I'd take Shields over Boucher......

__________________
"I couldn't care less about the team struggling"....A very drunk Joe Namath

2011-12: The start of a new making the playoffs streak!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CalDevil3219
Jared Ramsden is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 12:55 AM
  #4
ForeignFlame
Registered User
 
ForeignFlame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Too far from the Sad
Country: Australia
Posts: 1,199
vCash: 500
I don't think the Flames will take either of them. According to nhlpa.com, Boucher is making $2 million this season, and Shields $1.2 million.

I doubt McLennan gets picked up, so his salary will have to be paid no matter where he's playing. If he's bought out, that's still more money on top of what the replacement backup is making.

The increase in budget versus the (probably minimal) on-ice improvement is most likely not going to be worth the trouble.

If the Flames don't go with McLennan as the backup, they're probably better off giving it to one of our young guys waiting in the wings.

ForeignFlame is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 11:19 AM
  #5
Hemsky4PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Billeting Ales
Posts: 6,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignFlame
I don't think the Flames will take either of them. According to nhlpa.com, Boucher is making $2 million this season, and Shields $1.2 million.

I doubt McLennan gets picked up, so his salary will have to be paid no matter where he's playing. If he's bought out, that's still more money on top of what the replacement backup is making.

The increase in budget versus the (probably minimal) on-ice improvement is most likely not going to be worth the trouble.

If the Flames don't go with McLennan as the backup, they're probably better off giving it to one of our young guys waiting in the wings.
0% chance of Boucher or Shields becoming Flames. Brent Krahn has played well and may be forcing Sutter to think about what would be better for the team, keeping McLennan or going with Brent and playing him 20+ games (assuming he plays well).

Hemsky4PM is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 01:19 PM
  #6
Saprykin Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 698
vCash: 500
hey

Milan Hnilcka, would be a good aquisiton i think.

Saprykin Fan is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 05:36 PM
  #7
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,222
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM
0% chance of Boucher or Shields becoming Flames. Brent Krahn has played well and may be forcing Sutter to think about what would be better for the team, keeping McLennan or going with Brent and playing him 20+ games (assuming he plays well).
Didn't Sutter say that there was no way he was keeping Krahn up, and that he's going to the ECHL so he can play full-time?

__________________
Get your copy of FC's 2014 NHL DRAFT GUIDE now!
Don't forget to pick up FC's 2014 Newsletter series too!
Aaron Vickers is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 06:28 AM
  #8
Red Machine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 222
vCash: 500
Shields

Didn't Sutter coach Shields in San Jose. Dont know if that means anything but Sutter likes his old San Jose players. Dont know if he was too fond of Shields though, he was there number 1 goalie for a year or two. Had one breakout year there too. He could be a very reliable back up for sure.

Red Machine is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.