HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Columbus interested in Christian Ehrhoff?

Old
02-24-2014, 12:55 PM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
The First Rule Of Aaron Portzline:
If the phrase "I think", "I suspect", or anything similar appears in a trade rumor or discussion from Porty, it's complete garbage and you should never take it seriously. Ever.

He's legit as a reporter and he does uncover things from time to time, but his speculation makes ************** look reliable and consistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I would think obtaining a good haul of young players/prospects/picks to fit in with the rebuild outweigh the recapture. Why have Erhoff wasted during years of rebuild?
The approximate chances of us giving that up at all are somewhere between "next to nil" and "don't be absurd".

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 01:24 PM
Liferleafer
Bob's assclown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
The First Rule Of Aaron Portzline:
If the phrase "I think", "I suspect", or anything similar appears in a trade rumor or discussion from Porty, it's complete garbage and you should never take it seriously. Ever.

He's legit as a reporter and he does uncover things from time to time, but his speculation makes ************** look reliable and consistent.

The approximate chances of us giving that up at all are somewhere between "next to nil" and "don't be absurd".
Whoa there friend....I wasn't suggesting certain players or anything, just that I don't think Buff management isn't to worried about recapture.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 01:26 PM
TheCerebral1
Zero F***s Given

Ehrhoff's contract is not horrible, but the recapture penalty is a major problem. I don't know that anything will happen, but it's an interesting concept. Not sure what would be coming back.

TheCerebral1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 01:36 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Just stop with Ehrhoff threads. This isn't some fan who's tired of hearing a guy's name come up, this is seriously ****ing never going to ever happen. Ehrhoff is as untouchable as they come in the NHL. He's a great player with a perfect cap hit and that penalty is so bad people want to buy him out. If he gets traded and retires at age 37, the Sabres have a $10M hole blown in their roster in the middle of the window they want to be contending in. That just completely ****s your chances. It's NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 01:36 PM
IHeartZherdev*

Erhoff has played extremely poorly since going to Buffalo, has an awful contract, and also has a no move clause. He's not an upgrade on Jack or Wiz, and the last thing we need is another veteran body in front of Ryan Murray.

Aaron Portzline lows little to nothing about hockey and no one in the CBJ organization takes him seriously, he doesn't even have a single source in the building which is why he is late to just about every piece of CBJ news.

At least you created a separate thread for this nonsense as opposed to stuffing it in every other thread.

IHeartZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 01:37 PM
Pi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartZherdev View Post
Erhoff has played extremely poorly since going to Buffalo, has an awful contract, and also has a no move clause. He's not an upgrade on Jack or Wiz, and the last thing we need is another veteran body in front of Ryan Murray.

Aaron Portzline lows little to nothing about hockey and no one in the CBJ organization takes him seriously, he doesn't even have a single source in the building which is why he is late to just about every piece of CBJ news.
Did he just become famous because off the Rick Nash trade? He got a lot of coverage at that time and maybe that's why people think he's credible.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 01:38 PM
IHeartZherdev*

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Just stop with Ehrhoff threads. This isn't some fan who's tired of hearing a guy's name come up, this is seriously ****ing never going to ever happen. Ehrhoff is as untouchable as they come in the NHL. He's a great player with a perfect cap hit and that penalty is so bad people want to buy him out. If he gets traded and retires at age 37, the Sabres have a $10M hole blown in their roster in the middle of the window they want to be contending in. That just completely ****s your chances. It's NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.
This is sarcasm right? Ehroff is as untouchable as they come in the NHL? so many lols

Old
02-24-2014, 01:40 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
This is sarcasm right? Ehroff is as untouchable as they come in the NHL? so many lols
Do you have reading issues? He can't be moved with that penalty there. That penalty is potentially so disastrous that it completely precludes the option of moving him.

Who in the NHL is going to trade for $10M in dead cap space in the midst of the window they're trying to contend in for any return???

Old
02-24-2014, 01:41 PM
CornKicker
Tied with Lander G's

vCash: 75
no it doesnt, if someone wants him they will make it work,

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 01:42 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Please read, and then understand why trading Ehrhoff could be potentially very, very, very dangerous.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1592631
That is a really great thread!

From a "common sense" perspective - why would the NHLPA agree to the CBA that allows for the "recapture" penalty that "unfairly" (my word) penalizes a team from paying NHLPA members?

Just IMO - but the cap recapture was to ensure that "total salary paid = total salary cap" over the term of the contract. If a player with a "recapture" contract gets traded, it is very possible that the player could get paid 98% of the cash paid in the contract, and have a cap + recapture penalty equal to almost 120% of the actual cash paid.

Using Erhoff as an example, if he got traded right now, and retired with 1 year left on his contract, he would have earned approximately $39M, and had a total cap hit of $46M (9 years x $4M per regular cap hit + $10M cap recapture).

It would seem to make "more sense", that the cap recapture should be the net benefit (cumulative cash paid - cap hit for the contract to date) divided by the number of years remaining and allocated on a proportionate basis to all of the teams that the player was on the roster.

Just an interesting case regardless.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 01:43 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventana View Post
Really wish the Canucks found a way to give Ehrhoff what he wanted. He's exactly what they need right now...
Someone to make Edler look good again?

JUST JOKING...EASY CANUCK FANS!

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 01:44 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Did he just become famous because off the Rick Nash trade? He got a lot of coverage at that time and maybe that's why people think he's credible.
People think he is credible because he is the CBJ beat writer for the Columbus Dispatch (our main newspaper). In fairness to Porty, he does have a number of connections. The problem is that he forecasts things too early and makes a bunch of inferences.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 01:44 PM
Jim Bob
I Believe

Ehrhoff's NTC is the same as Miller's in that he has a list of 8 teams that he can block a trade to.

Jim Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 01:48 PM
IHeartZherdev*

Quote:
Do you have reading issues? He can't be moved with that penalty there. That penalty is potentially so disastrous that it completely precludes the option of moving him.

Who in the NHL is going to trade for $10M in dead cap space in the midst of the window they're trying to contend in for any return???
"He's a great player with a perfect cap hit"

Old
02-24-2014, 01:53 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
"He's a great player with a perfect cap hit"
Are you drunk? That's not my point! You want to make this about arguing how good Ehrhoff is, and it has nothing to do with that. READ.

$10M in dead cap space in the middle of your contention window. Not worth any return. If you traded us a superstar for him, we'd have to let them go.

Old
02-24-2014, 01:58 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:

Depends on who he plays for If he were obviously traded to Detroit He would be least likely to retire early then if he were traded to an Edmonton and or Winnipeg persey.

Number1RedWingsFan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 01:59 PM
IHeartZherdev*

Quote:
Are you drunk? That's not my point! You want to make this about arguing how good Ehrhoff is, and it has nothing to do with that. READ.

$10M in dead cap space in the middle of your contention window. Not worth any return. If you traded us a superstar for him, we'd have to let them go.
His contract is awful. I said that in my post. You're not the first person to point out what cap recapture is.

He's not a good player and your idea that Buffalo has a contention window is equally as laughable.

Also, why are you obsessing about him retiring at age 37? that doesn't seem realistic and if he gets seriously hurt you just put him on LTIR.

Old
02-24-2014, 02:00 PM
Quokka

I am legitimately curious, can a Buffalo fan/CBA expert explain why Erhoff's contract is so much worse for Buffalo if he is traded? I understand there is a cap recapture penalty if he retires early and that Buffalo will be solely responsible for (which would likely increase his value as other teams need not worry about that). What I don't understand is why that makes him untradeable? The cap recapture penalty is there whether or not he is traded. If he retires with years left on his contract while still playing in Buffalo -- the cap recapture still occurs. It makes no sense to me unless Buffalo fans feel Erhoff is less likely to retire while playing in Buffalo.

Quokka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 02:07 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
His contract is awful. I said that in my post. You're not the first person to point out what cap recapture is.

He's not a good player and your idea that Buffalo has a contention window is equally as laughable.

Also, why are you obsessing about him retiring at age 37? that doesn't seem realistic and if he gets seriously hurt you just put him on LTIR.
A player retiring at age 37 is ****ing unrealistic? You can't just put him on LTIR to avoid the recapture penalty.

And if the Sabres don't plan on having a contention window in 6 years or so, then everyone working for the Sabres needs to quit their jobs.

Old
02-24-2014, 02:11 PM
couture23

If you give us a reason to trade him and face the recapture risk he's yours, but I doubt that will happen.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 02:14 PM
IHeartZherdev*

Quote:
A player retiring at age 37 is ****ing unrealistic? You can't just put him on LTIR to avoid the recapture penalty.

And if the Sabres don't plan on having a contention window in 6 years or so, then everyone working for the Sabres needs to quit their jobs.
Boyle, Gonchar, Visnovsky, Salo, Jovanowksi, Souray, Lidstrom, etc....Most puck moving d-men play into their late 30's or early forties. By retiring, you don't get paid. No other job is going to pay Ehrhoff $1 million a year at that age, why would he just walk away from that?

Even if he were to suffer a career ending injury, he still wouldn't retire, like Mattius Ohlund or Chris Pronger, who are still on LTIR and getting paid.

Old
02-24-2014, 02:17 PM
TOML

Quote:

At least you created a separate thread for this nonsense as opposed to stuffing it in every other thread.
For what it's worth, Ehrhoff has been Buffalo's best defenseman for the time he's been there. But yes, an abosolute gong show of a contract and Buffalo may want to retain it because it's fairly dangerous to ditch it.

I don't think CBJ should be targeting him, but Portzline is a legit insider for all things CBJ-related, unless he's just carbon copying someone else. But who is that?

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 02:21 PM
EdAVSfan

Quote:

I highly disagree with your assessment of Ehrhoff.

His contract really isnt that bad (at least not for every other team besides Buffalo). He has a pretty low cap hit for his general production, his ability to log good minutes and his ability to play in all situations. Is he an amazing #1 dman? no. But hes a very versatile, complimentary top pairing dman or very good top 4.

For any team acquiring him, the only risk is if his play is significantly reduced in his later years. But to a team owner, hes a fantastic contract. Hes been paid already more than half his contract with well over half of it left.

EdAVSfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 02:23 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quokka View Post
I am legitimately curious, can a Buffalo fan/CBA expert explain why Erhoff's contract is so much worse for Buffalo if he is traded? I understand there is a cap recapture penalty if he retires early and that Buffalo will be solely responsible for (which would likely increase his value as other teams need not worry about that). What I don't understand is why that makes him untradeable? The cap recapture penalty is there whether or not he is traded. If he retires with years left on his contract while still playing in Buffalo -- the cap recapture still occurs. It makes no sense to me unless Buffalo fans feel Erhoff is less likely to retire while playing in Buffalo.
The difference is that if he is NOT traded, BUFF gets to take "credit" for the years where he is being paid less than his cap hit, which reduces the total amount of the recapture penalty. The way that the cap recapture is currently being interpreted is that the trading team (aka - Sabres) don't get any credit for the "after trade" contract years where the cash paid to Erhoff is less than his cap hit.

I think that it is a major oversite, and would think that the NHLPA would go berzerk when they see how this is being interepreted, because it would significantly "overstate" the cap hit for a player in relation to what he was actually paid. This difference is theoritically dollars that could have been paid to other NHLPA member, but would not because of the cap recapture. It is my understanding that the underlying purpose of the cap recapture is to make the cumulative cap hit = cumulative amount that the player actually gets paid. That is what makes the salary cap work, and what certain teams "broke" with those heavily front-loaded deals where it is reasonable to assume the player would retire before playing out the contract.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 02:24 PM
IHeartZherdev*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOML View Post
For what it's worth, Ehrhoff has been Buffalo's best defenseman for the time he's been there. But yes, an abosolute gong show of a contract and Buffalo may want to retain it because it's fairly dangerous to ditch it.

I don't think CBJ should be targeting him, but Portzline is a legit insider for all things CBJ-related, unless he's just carbon copying someone else. But who is that?
Portzline is not a "legit insider" for all things CBJ-related. At all. His only info comes from the stock answers he gets from press conferences. This is just mindless speculation on his part.