HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Habs being a big buyer at the trade deadline

Old
02-24-2014, 11:05 AM
mhstudios

vCash: 500
Habs being a big buyer at the trade deadline

With the performance of Carey Price at the Olympics, is it safe to say that this is the year that Montreal should go after the cup with how high Carey Price's confidences is right now. There are so many great pieces out there right now that Montreal can get. If you were the Montreal GM do you think this is the time to go for it or wait and our players to develop into superstars? We have a great foundation but we are one or two players away from a cup.

What I would do is go after Matt Moulson and P-A Parenteau. Trade Rene Bourque and Brian Gionta to put in Matt Moulson and P-A Parenteau into our top 6

what do you guys think?

if we were to make theses trades, do you think this would make Montreal into a cup contender?

EDIT:
I AM NOT SAYING THAT WE TRADE Rene Bourque and Brian Gionta TO GET Matt Moulson and P-A Parenteau BUT WE TRADE THEM TO ANOTHER TEAM TO GET ASSETS FOR THEM AND TRADE A FEW ASSETS TO GET Matt Moulson and P-A Parenteau.

Last edited by mhstudios: 02-24-2014 at 01:21 PM.
mhstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:07 AM
kingdok

I'd like to trade Bouillon for Suter too while we're at it.

kingdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:07 AM
Obviously

I heard we are looking to give away MSL for scraps, you can have him for Parros

Obviously is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:08 AM
Quares27

Montreal are nowhere near being cup contenders with how their team is built, and trading for Moulson and and Parenteau does not make Montreal cup contenders.

If MTL somehow replaced Bouillon, Desharnais and Bourque with Girardi, Vanek and Stewart then maybe they'd be cup contenders

Quares27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:14 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhstudios View Post
With the performance of Carey Price at the Olympics, is it safe to say that this is the year that Montreal should go after the cup with how high Carey Price's confidences is right now.
I don't think it's safe to say, at all. Timing your cup runs after your goalie's confidence seems like a rather insane approach, as well. Price is a fantastic and still young goalie. He's also remarkably strong mentally. His confidence will allow the Habs to go for it most years. He'll not hold them back most years. They have to look at whether they have enough of the other pieces in place. Personally, I don't think they're there, yet, and I don't think they're just a Moulson/PAP away from being a serious contender.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:14 AM
Beendair Donedat

Habs are not even close to being cup contenders at the moment... They need more size, 2 genuine scoring lines, a Number one right winger and a bruising 23-25 minute right handed defenseman. They've got good pieces but are 2 years away at least.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:16 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaddupscrubs View Post
I heard we are looking to give away MSL for scraps, you can have him for Parros
ewwww.....MSL is just so OLD! And we need MOAR SIZE!!!!! terrible deal for the Habs.

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:20 AM
sansabri
RIP Pete Burns

we need real first line talent to help out Patches. Moulson and PAP aren't that.

sansabri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:21 AM
IWantSakicAsMyGM

Sorry, Gionta and Bourque aren't getting you PAP. Doesn't address the Avs' needs at all.

Not even sure PAP is on the market any more, now that Tanguay is out for the season with hip surgery. But, if he's available, the Avs need a top 4 LHD, not older wingers and cap dumps.

IWantSakicAsMyGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:22 AM
eyeball11

I'd say if they are smart they'd consider that Carey Price behind the world's best D and Carey Price behind Montreal's D are two different creatures.

Plan accordingly.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:25 AM
Roof Daddy

St.Louis for Gallagher and a 1st. As a fan of neither team, I'd like to see this trade.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:26 AM
sansabri
RIP Pete Burns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
St.Louis for Gallagher and a 1st. As a fan of neither team, I'd like to see this trade.
this trade would make sense if the Habs were trying to win the cup now.

sansabri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:28 AM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansabri View Post
we need real first line talent to help out Patches. Moulson and PAP aren't that.
But, those guys took the isles so far!

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:32 AM
start winnin
NO MORE TANK BOYS

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
But, those guys took the isles so far!
Ya, so did Tavares.

start winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:32 AM
guyzeur

Quote:
With the performance of Carey Price at the Olympics, is it safe to say that this is the year that Montreal should go after the cup with how high Carey Price's confidences is right now. There are so many great pieces out there right now that Montreal can get. If you were the Montreal GM do you think this is the time to go for it or wait and our players to develop into superstars? We have a great foundation but we are one or two players away from a cup.

What I would do is go after Matt Moulson and P-A Parenteau. Trade Rene Bourque and Brian Gionta to put in Matt Moulson and P-A Parenteau into our top 6

what do you guys think?

if we were to make theses trades, do you think this would make Montreal into a cup contender?
Are you 14 years old?

Will Price behind the same team?

Who would like Bourque and/or Gionta? No one

What will Montreal ready to pay for Parenteau and Moulson? Nothing significant so no trade will happened

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:33 AM
kingdok

Quote:
What? Didn't I just see this in another thread? Please erase this idea from your head.

kingdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:34 AM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansabri View Post
this trade would make sense if the Habs were trying to win the cup now.
So in round 1 they're going to shake hands before the anthem and call it a season?

By no means do I consider the Habs a contender, but they've got all the elements to be a surprise team...

Goalie who can steal games.

Stud D man who can play big minutes.

Good 2 way C's

(If they add St.Louis) a dynamic offensive player.

It's a trade that makes the Habs better. What team doesn't want to get better?

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:36 AM
Drydenwasthebest

Yes, the Habs could compete with the right pieces added this season. I do not think Moulson and PAP are those pieces, although they are solid players to add. Montreal really needs a Wayne Simmonds type of player more than a PAP or Moulson type. Where to get that kind of player, and what assets do you give to get one is the real question.

As far as people thinking this team can not contend, they are wrong. This team has a couple of holes, but they have the pieces to contend. What this team needs is one big skilled forward and one solid defenceman for the right side.

It also needs to get rid of Therrien. He has no confidence in his young players, doesn't let them have the right ice time to develop, and holds them back far more than he should. Instead of rewarding the Eller, Gal and Gal line for success, he broke them up. Rather than ride Subban's strong play, he tried to "break" Subban and force him to change his style of play rather than properly utilizing his strengths. Rather than give Tinordi and Beaulieu time at the NHL level to improve with great mentors like Markov, Therrien rides Bouillon and Murray. That is where our problems lie, not in the talent on the team. We have a team capable of winning against the best in the league, we just need a coach who believes it. Montreal should definitely be smart buyers at the deadline, and should try and unload some dead weight if possible. As is we are a good team. With one or two solid pieces, we will contend. In spite of Therrien.

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:38 AM
JusticeBeaver
Twitter: @gar****al

I expect the habs to be more sellers than buyers. Bourque has been on the table for a while, Markov rumors, and their bottom 6 is getting crowded.

JusticeBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:41 AM
Drew311
Liquor Smurf

Quote:
As a Leafs fan I hope Montreal makes this trade.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:44 AM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
Ya, so did Tavares.
Yeah, and it was Tavares and not guys like Moulson, PAP, hickey, Nabby, AMac , Bailey etc that have held the isles back. Because surrounding an elite center with AHL players is the way to win a cup!

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Halibut

I'd be pretty confident in net too with Team Canada in front of me.

Somehow I think in Montreal he's going to face more shots, better shots and have less help from his defence.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
So in round 1 they're going to shake hands before the anthem and call it a season?

By no means do I consider the Habs a contender, but they've got all the elements to be a surprise team...

Goalie who can steal games.

Stud D man who can play big minutes.

Good 2 way C's

(If they add St.Louis) a dynamic offensive player.

It's a trade that makes the Habs better. What team doesn't want to get better?
St Louis is not what we need, though. He is a great player, and I would love to have him, but he does not help with our lack of size issues in any way. He is a prolific point producer, but at 38 is he going to be worth what Gallagher is turning into and another 1st? It is not a completely idiotic notion, but it is not one that I am comfortable with. Heck, Gallagher could develop into the next St. Louis! As a Habs fan I lean more towards "no" to this offer than "yes". I would rather keep Gallagher and target someone else than St. Louis.

I also do not see Tampa Bay trading their leading point producer when they are a playoff spot and are about to get their heart and soul back for a good run. St, Louis, if traded, will bring back more than a couple of futures, even if those are very good futures. I think Tampa would target Pacioretty more than Gallagher.

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:47 AM
Pi

vCash: 50
Price will be playing in front of a different defense that doesn't consist of 7-8 #1 defenseman.

Price is a good goalie but all it takes is a few games to go from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:48 AM
HogTown06

Quote:

what do you guys think?

Are those two players named Wayne Gretzky and Bobby Orr?

Also Price's performance was not that impressive, not that difficult to play well behind a defense like that.

HogTown06 is offline   Reply With Quote