HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Back away from the Ledge... (Next Year Thread)

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2013, 03:15 AM
Oilrider

vCash: 500
Back away from the Ledge... (Next Year Thread)

I didn't watch the game tonight, so I am less suicidal than most people on here right now. A lot of people have lost faith in this franchise, and I can see why. But here is the thing, if you asked me if the Islanders would be in the playoffs this year, I would have laughed, but there they are. Four years after drafting Tavares. Next year will be four years after drafting Hall. You have to keep in mind that while the top draft picks are hyped, they take time to become legitimate NHL players and live up to that hype. Tavares has steadily improved over the years, just like Hall has been. The other players are not far behind. They WILL get better, but they haven't all been around as long as Hall and Eberle, who are still improving themselves.

I'm not all rose coloured glasses here. I hated the MacT hiring, but I do believe him when he says he is going to make bold moves. I think the Oilers have been in rebuild mode for the past few years and they are ready to take the next step. They made Tambo the fall guy and will now allow MacT to make the moves necessary to take that next step. Some see 'bold moves' as trading one of the stars, but I doubt it. I think it really means dumping a number of players, and possibly a buyout or trade of Horcoff. That would be seen as a bold move. Naming Hall the captain would be a bold move. Trading Hemsky would be a bold move. Add a couple decent hard working veterans, maybe Klefbom and the new draft pick, and we have a team that may not excel, but can and should make the playoffs. Heck, this team was in a playoff position not too long ago with all the dead weight on the current roster, imagine what they can do next year. With any luck, RNH will come back stronger after surgery the way Hall did. He has needed the surgery for a while, and is finally getting it. Yakupov will have a year under his belt and better linemates. Justin Schultz is just getting started. In other rebuilds, drastic change has taken place: Pittsburgh went from last in the east to 5th in back to back years. That happened four years after the rebuild began with MA Fleury; they hadn't made the playoffs the previous six years..

As the saying goes, It is darkest before the dawn. Just as people had given up on the Islanders rebuild working, they are in the playoffs. These seasons have been tough, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Next year it is possible that we will see improved core players, additional members to that core, better vets/bottom 6, and even a new coach like Lindy Ruff isn't far fetched.

Hang in there. It WILL get better, and it is a lot closer than you think.

Old
04-25-2013, 03:21 AM
Soundwave

The Islanders give me hope. A fools hope, maybe, but hope anyway. Also Mac T/Lowe can't be worse than Tambellini at finding role players ... can they?

What happened to the days when all we developed/found were gritty role players and we couldn't buy (literally) a star offensive player?

Old
04-25-2013, 03:36 AM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Old
04-25-2013, 03:47 AM
shiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
The Islanders give me hope. A fools hope, maybe, but hope anyway. Also Mac T/Lowe can't be worse than Tambellini at finding role players ... can they?

What happened to the days when all we developed/found were gritty role players and we couldn't buy (literally) a star offensive player?
Err, yeah he could be just as bad, especially if he follows the recommendations of the "pro Scouts" like Tamby did. You know, people who are friends/ex-teammates of lowe.

I would like to think that next year will be better than this year, only because it is inconceivable this organization could get any worse. But... every year...

Old
04-25-2013, 04:05 AM
#ualberta

I have missed the past 3 games partly because i didn't want to watch and partly because i was kinda busy
So i'm not about to step off a ledge

That being said i'm sick and tired of losing but just like every year i am hopeful for next year
I appreciate your positivity

Old
04-25-2013, 06:48 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 672
I think it is time to push some fans over the ledge

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
Old
04-25-2013, 07:24 AM
Chef10

I am very interested to see waht MacT does this off season, i think he is going to suprise alot of people with the moves he makes. I can see someone being bought out and i can see a first round pick and a good player or prospect being moved to fill a teams need I also think that htey will go after a goalie in the off season.

Old
04-25-2013, 08:40 AM
New dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiva View Post
Err, yeah he could be just as bad, especially if he follows the recommendations of the "pro Scouts" like Tamby did. You know, people who are friends/ex-teammates of lowe.

I would like to think that next year will be better than this year, only because it is inconceivable this organization could get any worse. But... every year...
We have been out of the playoffs for seven years now and do not have the depth that a lot of contending teams do so not only do our "pro scouts" not get the job done but our "amateur scouts" have not performed either,other than Our European amateur scouts.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:28 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Starting with yourself right? Gimme a break, the fans are the problem. Do you actually watch the games which if you have you would see there is no passion whatsoever.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:31 AM
timekeep

Quote:
Jump Already

Old
04-25-2013, 11:33 AM
Bank Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilrider View Post
Add a couple decent hard working veterans, maybe Klefbom and the new draft pick, and we have a team that may not excel, but can and should make the playoffs.
Tambellini? I thought you were fired?

Old
04-25-2013, 12:10 PM
missinthejets

Quote:
They made Tambo the fall guy and will now allow MacT to make the moves necessary to take that next step.

I don't think Tambo should be called a fall guy at all, he failed to add veteran pieces to this team to help it so his firing is really on him. Now the question going forward is whether or not Mctavish can add the right pieces, no one knows how it will work out but so many people are just being negative because it's Lowe hiring his friend. I personally think people need to give MacT a chance to put his stamp on this team and then judge it all.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:29 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Quote:
I didn't watch the game tonight, so I am less suicidal than most people on here right now. A lot of people have lost faith in this franchise, and I can see why. But here is the thing, if you asked me if the Islanders would be in the playoffs this year, I would have laughed, but there they are. Four years after drafting Tavares. Next year will be four years after drafting Hall. You have to keep in mind that while the top draft picks are hyped, they take time to become legitimate NHL players and live up to that hype. Tavares has steadily improved over the years, just like Hall has been. The other players are not far behind. They WILL get better, but they haven't all been around as long as Hall and Eberle, who are still improving themselves.

I'm not all rose coloured glasses here. I hated the MacT hiring, but I do believe him when he says he is going to make bold moves. I think the Oilers have been in rebuild mode for the past few years and they are ready to take the next step. They made Tambo the fall guy and will now allow MacT to make the moves necessary to take that next step. Some see 'bold moves' as trading one of the stars, but I doubt it. I think it really means dumping a number of players, and possibly a buyout or trade of Horcoff. That would be seen as a bold move. Naming Hall the captain would be a bold move. Trading Hemsky would be a bold move. Add a couple decent hard working veterans, maybe Klefbom and the new draft pick, and we have a team that may not excel, but can and should make the playoffs. Heck, this team was in a playoff position not too long ago with all the dead weight on the current roster, imagine what they can do next year. With any luck, RNH will come back stronger after surgery the way Hall did. He has needed the surgery for a while, and is finally getting it. Yakupov will have a year under his belt and better linemates. Justin Schultz is just getting started. In other rebuilds, drastic change has taken place: Pittsburgh went from last in the east to 5th in back to back years. That happened four years after the rebuild began with MA Fleury; they hadn't made the playoffs the previous six years..

As the saying goes, It is darkest before the dawn. Just as people had given up on the Islanders rebuild working, they are in the playoffs. These seasons have been tough, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Next year it is possible that we will see improved core players, additional members to that core, better vets/bottom 6, and even a new coach like Lindy Ruff isn't far fetched.

Hang in there. It WILL get better, and it is a lot closer than you think.
Ah. The same thing was posted here the year before and the year before that. In fact I remember this being posted like 3 times on the Oilers.nhl.com forums before I came to HF.

This is exactly what management preached, but think about this. If this was really the growing pains of the team why was Tambellini fired? Clearly this team was supposed to be doing better.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:43 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Sup Dan Tencer.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:42 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
The fans and Taylor Hall are the only entities associated with the entire Oilers organization that have performed consistently well throughout the course of this season.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:43 PM
Oilrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by missinthejets View Post
I don't think Tambo should be called a fall guy at all, he failed to add veteran pieces to this team to help it so his firing is really on him. Now the question going forward is whether or not Mctavish can add the right pieces, no one knows how it will work out but so many people are just being negative because it's Lowe hiring his friend. I personally think people need to give MacT a chance to put his stamp on this team and then judge it all.
I guess I just see it as the plan unfolding the way they wanted it to (They being Katz, Lowe). Tambo easily could have made a number of changes prior to this season, or during and didn't. I don't think that is because he is totally inept, as some of you do; I think he was just sticking to the plan, and this off-season was when they wanted to make those moves all along.
If we are to believe that Lowe is pulling all the strings, how do you blame Tambo for sitting back? It's one or the other. He would just be following the plan. Likewise, how would MacT be allowed to say that he is going to make bold moves if Lowe wasn't going to allow it?
Most people see Oilers management as an old boys club. Keep in mind that Tambo wasn't part of that club, he was brought in from Vancouver. He was in charge for the tough years, and essentially the face of the failure. I think he is the fall guy because MacT will have the opportunity to make the bold moves that he wasn't allowed to make. Trust me, I so badly wanted him to make moves last offseason and he didn't. I just see it as part of the plan for the rebuild, and they wanted one more year than I did, probably to make sure that it really does work and they can have a team like they had in the 80s.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:48 PM
dnicks17

For some reason the annual "next year will be better" threads get less and less comforting.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:48 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Quote:
I want you to show me the way.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:54 PM
Oilrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Ah. The same thing was posted here the year before and the year before that. In fact I remember this being posted like 3 times on the Oilers.nhl.com forums before I came to HF.

This is exactly what management preached, but think about this. If this was really the growing pains of the team why was Tambellini fired? Clearly this team was supposed to be doing better.
As I expained: Fall guy. The plan all along was to bring him in to fail, and then kick him out when they were ready.

And by the way, you are right that the same thing has been posted year after year. That is because we are in year three of what most have called a five year build. The plan hasn't changed, just the fans' ability to cope with it.

Call me out on it at the beginning of next season if I am wrong. I will be right there on the ledge with you. I predict a much better team next year. Pittsburgh went from last in the east to 5th toward the end of their rebuild, and NYI has gone from second last in the east, and could move into 5th this year with a win tonight. If Garth Snow can do that, surely the Oilers can too.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:54 PM
GO99
HFBoards Sponsor

Like someone said above, it's funny how we could never get top legit talent, yet we had good soldiers who could play actual NHL hockey.

Now we have drafted that top legit talent and we have too many useless players playing under them.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:57 PM
belair

With all of the panic regarding lack of size and compete in this line-up, why is everyone throwing Paajarvi in proposals?

With the emergence of Nazem Kadri this year is it completely out of the question that Magnus takes this year to the bank and ups his offensive game to a similar outcome next season?

He's big, fast, defensively sound and still relatively young.

I understand they are two very different players, but this was a good year for Paajarvi and it was just what he needed after everyone was pretty much writing him off. With another full off-season of training, he's a guy I would pick to take the next step.

I'd also like to pump the tires of Hartikainen, but from what I've seen this year, the guy has absolutely no hockey sense whatsoever. The best we can expect of him at this point in time is for him to turn into a solid role player or pest.

Old
04-25-2013, 02:04 PM
Lacaar

Sometimes I swear it feels like we missed the bus and wore the wrong color to "let's all wear the same color day" at school.

The game gets faster and more skilled and we get exposed for lacking skill in 2007-2011. Then we get these high picks and draft some great skill. And the NHL game changes back to the obstruction days and now we're fast and skilled but can't power through the roadblocks.

God I hope we don't trade the skill away to bulk up only to see the NHL clamp down on obstruction again....

Old
04-25-2013, 02:04 PM
Up the Irons

i'm in the 'I'll believe things will be better, when i see that things actually are better' camp.

it's 'show me' time for Mact/KLowe. i'll be hard pressed to buy a ticket/merch until they do (tho, i won't say never, just not likely).

Old
04-25-2013, 02:17 PM
Oilrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
i'm in the 'I'll believe things will be better, when i see that things actually are better' camp.

it's 'show me' time for Mact/KLowe. i'll be hard pressed to buy a ticket/merch until they do (tho, i won't say never, just not likely).
Without a doubt they need to prove it. I think it will become apparent by mid July. I was pretty disappointed when they didn't make any moves last offseason and thought it was strange that so many people thought the same team would be in the playoffs this year.
If by mid july we haven't seen a number of changes despite the draft and free agency, I will be pissed. If the plan is still 'stick with the same core, surrounded by dead weight, and add a rookie', I will be right there on the ledge too.

Old
04-25-2013, 02:19 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post

I'd tend to agree.

Even if we had missed the playoffs this year, but finished strong, I would have been a lot more comfortable with next season. But the way we're limping to the finish line is embarrassing. It's clear we aren't a couple of pieces away from being good. We're several pieces away.

I'm glad MacT sees this. Whether he's able to make the moves that need to be made will remain to be seen.

Closed Thread