HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Should we eliminate the bronze medal game?

View Poll Results: Should we eliminate the bronze medal game in hockey?
Yes 6 5.36%
No 106 94.64%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-25-2014, 05:14 PM
  #251
Pure West
Registered User
 
Pure West's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,563
vCash: 500
In other Olympic sports....where the Olympics is far and away the pinnacle of their sport...I think it makes more sense to have a bronze medal game. In this, with multi-million dollar professional athletes who are used to competing for championships only...I think it makes more sense to scrap it. It means something to the smaller countries...and I think the smiles afterwards is almost a bittersweet moment and just the result of winning. In the NHL, players still smile if they win a game with no playoff implications...as they are competitive players who like to win.

Pure West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 05:23 PM
  #252
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker
 
Hand of Gaudreau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,610
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borthy View Post
In other Olympic sports....where the Olympics is far and away the pinnacle of their sport...I think it makes more sense to have a bronze medal game. In this, with multi-million dollar professional athletes who are used to competing for championships only...I think it makes more sense to scrap it. It means something to the smaller countries...and I think the smiles afterwards is almost a bittersweet moment and just the result of winning. In the NHL, players still smile if they win a game with no playoff implications...as they are competitive players who like to win.
The point of your argument is moot after this Olympics, as NHLers will not be going back.

Hand of Gaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 05:51 PM
  #253
Canuck21t
Registered User
 
Canuck21t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borthy View Post
In other Olympic sports....where the Olympics is far and away the pinnacle of their sport...I think it makes more sense to have a bronze medal game. In this, with multi-million dollar professional athletes who are used to competing for championships only...I think it makes more sense to scrap it. It means something to the smaller countries...and I think the smiles afterwards is almost a bittersweet moment and just the result of winning. In the NHL, players still smile if they win a game with no playoff implications...as they are competitive players who like to win.
No it doesn't make sense AT ALL. You want ice hockey to be the ONLY sport in all the Olympics, winter and summer, to scrap the bronze medal?! When the pro players accept to join the Olympic team, they're not playing for themselves or the hockey team anymore but for the whole national Olympic team. If you're not going to make your country proud by doing your best, then don't come and stay home. If there will be a World Cup, then ok, never mind the bronze, but NOT at the Olympics. That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. I know this will NEVER happen; no one with an once of logic will accept this.

Canuck21t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 06:07 PM
  #254
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
 
YWGinYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,350
vCash: 200
Added a poll.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 06:11 PM
  #255
An Argument For
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 212
vCash: 500
Why would they eliminate the Bronze? There's absolutely no reason or precedent for it. The U.S. wanted to win that game they just didn't. Selanne scored on a beautifully placed and deceptive backhand. The Americans had a brain fart and Finland scored a second goal but the U.S absolutely dominated after that second goal, they pressed has hard as they could to cut that lead before the period ended. It wasn't till after the 3rd goal that they mailed it in.

An Argument For is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 06:58 PM
  #256
KeepCalmandCorsiOn
Registered User
 
KeepCalmandCorsiOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 636
vCash: 500
Can't even believe this is a question.

Hell no.

KeepCalmandCorsiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 07:29 PM
  #257
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,463
vCash: 500
The Bronze medal is disappointing for a top team but eliminating the game for that reason doesn't resolve a thing. Winning an Olympic medal is still a special level of achievement that few get to celebrate.

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 07:31 PM
  #258
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,525
vCash: 500
Why should it be scrapped [mod]? The Finns did their nation proud in their bronze medal game.


Last edited by YWGinYYZ: 02-25-2014 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Not needed
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 08:19 PM
  #259
Ducks in a row
Registered User
 
Ducks in a row's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 2,017
vCash: 500
No way in hell.

Ducks in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 08:27 PM
  #260
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes
 
Turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,257
vCash: 50
The thread starter's argument appears to based on two assumptions:

1) It's too 'cruel' to make them play another game since they just lost in the semi-finals.
2) The teams involved never care, don't play their hardest, and so we get 'bad hockey'.

Getting a chance to represent your country on the international stage for bronze medal...heck in any competition, even if it was just a friendly competition, is huge. Bragging rights. That's not cruel. Cruel is travelling to the Olympics, getting injured during a downhill training run or something, after devoting 4-8 hours a day of yourself to the event for the last 4 years, and not even being able to compete.

This is the Olympics. Try telling any non-medal-contender, in any event, that they shouldn't finish their final leg/run/ski/skate/throw/swim/lift/jump because they don't have a mathematical chance for a gold or silver. That will go over well. Because you're doing them a favor.

As for the teams 'not caring', judging by the reactions of the Finnish team and the Swiss women's team, there were at least 2 teams that cared a heck of a lot. There will always be at least two teams that care enough to fight out a win for a bronze, and two nations that will cheer them on and be entertained. Will one team care more than another? Sure, maybe. But you can't make that assumption, and you can't assume 'bad hockey' is the result either.

Finally....as a hockey fan, why would you want to see less hockey?

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 08:31 PM
  #261
hammerwielder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
The Bronze medal is disappointing for a top team but eliminating the game for that reason doesn't resolve a thing. Winning an Olympic medal is still a special level of achievement that few get to celebrate.
Agreed. You can't get rid of it so long as it's an Olympic sport, nor should it be eliminated.

Having said that, the question is of some legitimacy for Canadians, since the mentality here is truly one of gold or bust. Look at Canada's record in bronze medal games--it's beyond pathetic. Canadian teams simply cannot get up for those games because the disappointment of missing out the day before on the opportunity to win a gold medal is too much to overcome prior to the bronze medal game. But that's not the Olympics' problem; that's Canada's problem. I doubt there will ever be a change to the mindset, however, and Canada has to therefore accept the fact that they will rarely be listed as bronze medal winners. That in turn has an impact on the country's medal count in hockey and also on its world ranking. But Canadian players, try as they might to show up, just don't care about such things; anything short of gold is a failure and if they lose out on the gold medal game there's just no more will to compete. That in turn comes from the concept of the Stanley Cup; if you lose the Stanley Cup final you've achieved nothing. We simply don't have a podium mindset when it comes to hockey. It's Stanley Cup or loser; it's gold medal or loser.

hammerwielder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 08:32 PM
  #262
kihei
Registered User
 
kihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,115
vCash: 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontdive View Post
I think it's cruel to have it at all. The teams that are in it just lost the game the day before that could have had them playing for gold. And while a lesser nation might consider it their just rewards, and go all out to play in it, there's usually going to also be a "top three" team that simply won't go all to win it, whether they should or not.

And that can and often does lead to a bad hockey game. Is that what we want?

I think as a principle too, that we shouldn't force anyone to compete in the Olympics at any point if they have no chance to get the gold medal. And that's what we're doing with the bronze medal game.

Heck, if we base who gets the bronze on the record during the previous games, then maybe teams who get to coast to the "medal round" will try harder during those "non-medal round" games.

I say, get rid of it.
This suggestion is about as lame-ass as anything that I have ever read on these boards. If a team comes over just for the Gold, maybe they should stay home because they sure as hell don't understand the Olympics. If athletes are going to behave like spoiled brat, privileged wussies who can only play for the Gold and nothing else, they bloody well deserve to go home without a medal no matter where they are from.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 08:33 PM
  #263
AnGiroux
Registered User
 
AnGiroux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North
Posts: 129
vCash: 500
why would anyone vote yes? its the olympics

AnGiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 09:11 PM
  #264
capebretoncanadien
Registered User
 
capebretoncanadien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,114
vCash: 500
Terrible post. I don't think so.

capebretoncanadien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 09:34 PM
  #265
Bluefan75
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,130
vCash: 500
I keep reading posts here(which may be mistake #1) and people think eliminating the game means eliminating the medal. I haven't seen anyone say that. Only that having to play that game is quite cruel.

Like someone said, they don't expect boxers to box another match after losing the semifinals. Why do we expect teams to play another hockey game? If two boxers can get a bronze, why would it be bad with hockey?

Bluefan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 09:38 PM
  #266
Nazemlupul
Registered User
 
Nazemlupul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Vaughan,ON
Posts: 4,613
vCash: 50
No, it gives the fins something to win.

Nazemlupul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 09:51 PM
  #267
tony d
The franchise
 
tony d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind A Tree
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,928
vCash: 500
Nope, no way.

__________________
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 10:04 PM
  #268
The Enemy Within
Holl at .6 seconds
 
The Enemy Within's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: West of the SOH
Country: United States
Posts: 1,580
vCash: 500
While it definitely doesn't mean the same to professional players at the time to win the bronze medal. I am pretty sure it would still mean a lot to them somewhere down the road in their lives. Plus I'm sure there are plenty of Finnish players who are very happy to bring another medal home to their country. I'm sure the United States players would have been too had they won. So no I don't think it should be eliminated. Plus you can't change the way the olympics awards medals simply based on one sport.

The Enemy Within is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 10:11 PM
  #269
Tree-hugger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Paris
Country: France
Posts: 258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefan75 View Post
I keep reading posts here(which may be mistake #1) and people think eliminating the game means eliminating the medal. I haven't seen anyone say that. Only that having to play that game is quite cruel.

Like someone said, they don't expect boxers to box another match after losing the semifinals. Why do we expect teams to play another hockey game? If two boxers can get a bronze, why would it be bad with hockey?
There's a slight difference in sheer physical taxation. If you don't believe me - try it.

Tree-hugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 12:51 AM
  #270
Canuck21t
Registered User
 
Canuck21t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefan75 View Post
I keep reading posts here(which may be mistake #1) and people think eliminating the game means eliminating the medal. I haven't seen anyone say that. Only that having to play that game is quite cruel.
You're absolutely right. My bad, I misread the thread. It makes a lot more sense now, but I'd still vote no.

Canuck21t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 12:57 AM
  #271
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1nn View Post
you play to win but you don't care about winning every game? if you're not good enough for gold at least put everything you have on the ice every single time you step out there.. THAT is a winning attitude
You can't win when you've already lost. Finishing 3rd instead of 4th wouldn't have made this a better result for the Americans. Their tournament ended when they lost to Canada. For North Americans there's just no pride in playing for 3rd place. It's an all or nothing mentality that Europeans just don't understand.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 01:00 AM
  #272
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
This suggestion is about as lame-ass as anything that I have ever read on these boards. If a team comes over just for the Gold, maybe they should stay home because they sure as hell don't understand the Olympics. If athletes are going to behave like spoiled brat, privileged wussies who can only play for the Gold and nothing else, they bloody well deserve to go home without a medal no matter where they are from.
Wayne Gretzky
Joe Sakic
Patrick Roy
Steve Yzerman
Ray Bourque
Chris Pronger
Scott Stevens
Brendan Shanahan
Al MacInnis
Rob Blake

Are these overprivileged wussies?

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 01:08 AM
  #273
Canuck21t
Registered User
 
Canuck21t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
You can't win when you've already lost. Finishing 3rd instead of 4th wouldn't have made this a better result for the Americans. Their tournament ended when they lost to Canada. For North Americans there's just no pride in playing for 3rd place. It's an all or nothing mentality that Europeans just don't understand.
The all-or-nothing is an arrogant mentality. Back in 1998 when it was the first time the pros were allowed, some Canadians had that mentality and it was a disgraceful attitude that cost Gretzky his only chance at an Olympic medal. I don't think the current crop of professional athletes think this way. One may have a more uphill battle psychologically, but they would still all try to win the bronze for the country.


Last edited by Canuck21t: 02-26-2014 at 01:14 AM.
Canuck21t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 01:08 AM
  #274
chauron
Registered User
 
chauron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 329
vCash: 500
Just look at the poll results. No way in hell it should not be eliminated, it'd be against olympic spirit and rules even, plus athletes value it high. Thank god no few north american posters can make that decision.

Or should we then align and remove the bronze from rest of the sports too? Hell no

chauron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 01:11 AM
  #275
Canuck21t
Registered User
 
Canuck21t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Wayne Gretzky
Joe Sakic
Patrick Roy
Steve Yzerman
Ray Bourque
Chris Pronger
Scott Stevens
Brendan Shanahan
Al MacInnis
Rob Blake

Are these overprivileged wussies?
If indeed that's the mentality they had, then yes, they were a disgrace no matter who they were. But I don't think they were all like that.

Canuck21t is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.