HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline II

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2014, 04:47 PM
orange is better
Lattelepjandi lopatr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
How can you say that about a 23 year old putting up good numbers in the AHL that hasn't gotten a shot at the next level though?

What you are doing is just as bad as those suggesting he get top 6 duties.
It's not really as bad at all. There's a much better chance that a 23 year old player putting up any number of points in the ahl remains a career ahler than there is that he becomes a top 6 winger in the nhl. Is his defensive ineptitude overblown? Sure. He hasn't looked that bad on the defensive side of the puck in the games I've seen, though he hasn't looked particularly great either. I just don't see his offensive game translating to the nhl, and I don't think he brings enough of anything else to be considered for any other role really. There are other guys who bring traits desired for a bottom 6 role, namely physicality and defensive prowess, and those guys do those things better than Jason Akeson could. A lot of them also have better size too.

Old
02-24-2014, 04:53 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
No thanks. I'd much rather stay the course with our young players and add through the draft than gut the young core for Weber. I'd even much rather try and trade up to get Ekblad than put the assets together needed to pry Weber from Nashville. Maybe you could do something like Coburn, Laughton, 2014 first and 2015 first for the pick that lands Ekblad. Heft price to pay, but i'm pretty high on Ekblad and believe he does have #1 potential, regardless of what some people are saying. I don't think he's going to be a bonafide, marquee franchise defenseman like i believe Seth Jones will be (think Keith, Suter, Chara, Weber, Doughty etc.), but i do believe he could be on par with guys like McDonagh, Hamhuis, Kronwall etc. and i think his skillset compares pretty well with Alex Pietrangelo.

Also, Akeson is not an NHL player. I don't know what people are seeing in his performances in the AHL to make them believe he's anything more than a career AHLer, or perhaps an injury call up from time to time. Sure, he puts up some points down there, but when actually watching the game he plays, i don't see it ever translating to this level.
I would say he compares better to a Brent Seabrook than a Alex Pietrangelo. He's not dynamic enough offensively to be in he same class as Pietrangelo.

Old
02-24-2014, 05:06 PM
Hollywood Couturier
Eagles That Quack

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=444586

Quote:
There is reason to believe in the immediate aftermath of his Jan. 7 snub from the Canadian Olympic team, in some form or another, St. Louis indicated to the Bolts he may look favorably on a move out of Tampa.

We have to be careful here not to get too hung up on semantics. Was it a trade demand? A trade request? A conversation? Was it St. Louis speaking directly to Yzerman or was it some form of communication between St. Louis's agent Lewis Gross and the organization?

While none of the principals were confirming or denying anything in those days and weeks after the initial snub, talk in the NHL community was rife that St. Louis wanted out. There was even talk – again, nothing with an absolute confirmation -- that the only place St. Louis would waive his No Move Clause for was the New York Rangers. His off-season home is just outside NYC, in Connecticut.

If the NYR or bust account is accurate, it would certainly explain the St. Louis rumors coming out of NYC the last few days and the talk of Callahan for St. Louis.

But here's the problem on that front.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
02-24-2014, 05:15 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
It's not really as bad at all. There's a much better chance that a 23 year old player putting up any number of points in the ahl remains a career ahler than there is that he becomes a top 6 winger in the nhl. Is his defensive ineptitude overblown? Sure. He hasn't looked that bad on the defensive side of the puck in the games I've seen, though he hasn't looked particularly great either. I just don't see his offensive game translating to the nhl, and I don't think he brings enough of anything else to be considered for any other role really. There are other guys who bring traits desired for a bottom 6 role, namely physicality and defensive prowess, and those guys do those things better than Jason Akeson could. A lot of them also have better size too.
Who? McGinn is worse defensively and is substantially worse offensively. He's got the size advantage but that's about it.

Edit: ^^That's Laich's girlfriend?! Oh my

Old
02-24-2014, 07:23 PM
FlyingPhilly
Flyers Win 201x Cup

If there was a year to suck and have a top pick it would have been the lockout shortened last year or all the talent next year. Man reading reports on the 2015 talent, Eichel, McDavid, and Hanifin among others, makes me want all of them. Somehow I have read more about the 2015 draft than 2014 the past few days.

Old
02-24-2014, 07:26 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
If there was a year to suck and have a top pick it would have been the lockout shortened last year or all the talent next year. Man reading reports on the 2015 talent, Eichel, McDavid, and Hanifin among others, makes me want all of them. Somehow I have read more about the 2015 draft than 2014 the past few days.
2015 looks like it could be even better than 2013. A lot of elite talent in that class.

Old
02-24-2014, 08:00 PM
orange is better
Lattelepjandi lopatr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Who? McGinn is worse defensively and is substantially worse offensively. He's got the size advantage but that's about it.

Edit: ^^That's Laich's girlfriend?! Oh my
I don't necessarily mean guys who are already in the system or down on the farm, I just mean that there are guys to be had that fit that mold, be it in free agency or through trade.

Old
02-24-2014, 10:46 PM
flyersfan018

vCash: 50
I don't see the Flyers making any moves. They already have 7 D that they seem content to roll with. I could maybe see Homer adding another winger to the mix. Not a groundbreaker.

Old
02-25-2014, 12:32 AM
GoneFullHextall
rustling jimmies

really cant see the Flyers doing anything substantial either. for one they dont have the cap space to acquire a player that could make a difference. Then you know other GMs are likely to ask for Laughton, Morin, ect ect.
Also with the Flyers in current position its highly unlikely they deal even Meszaros or Grossmann.

Old
02-25-2014, 04:48 AM
duffy9748

Flyers have been wayyyy to quiet over the past few weeks.

Old
02-25-2014, 07:26 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
really cant see the Flyers doing anything substantial either. for one they dont have the cap space to acquire a player that could make a difference. Then you know other GMs are likely to ask for Laughton, Morin, ect ect.
Also with the Flyers in current position its highly unlikely they deal even Meszaros or Grossmann.
I would be shocked and disappointed if Boston didn't at least offer a pick for Mez. If makes too much sense for them not to do it unless they are trying to bring in a better player.

Old
02-25-2014, 08:11 AM
sharpeye97

Trade Grossmann.

Old
02-25-2014, 08:16 AM
Prongo
Beer

Just throwing this out there because it is by the Edmonton Journal.

Quote:
I suspect the Flyers, who would still die to have Weber on their back-end, would give up centre Brayden Schenn and winger Jake Voracek and a defenceman or a first-round pick for Weber in a deal.

Admittedly, Schenn is not RNH. Voracek is not Hall. But the Flyers are well aware that Jones can be a franchise type blueliner and Josi is, at worst, a No. 3 NHL defender so Weber could be in play.

So, the Oilers have to get on this because the Predators have been hanging on for years with very little offensive juice.
I understand that people hate the Pete Weber rumors and speculation, but it really just never seems to die.

Also, just wanted to post this to say I do NOT want to give up what is mentioned here. Schenn is okay, but not Voracek along with him. Of course that is if Martin St Louis isn't here, if we could get him I might be a little more open to it.

Hopefully we can get a list of defenseman ready for the off-season who will be reportedly available. Maybe I will keep track of it and make a thread when the season ends with the possibilities of acquiring a talented defenseman. It will also help establish what we all would be willing to trade for them as fans.

Old
02-25-2014, 08:23 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 1175
Voracek, Schenn AND a first would be a HUGE haul for Nashville. It would kill our forward depth too.

02-25-2014, 08:25 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Just throwing this out there because it is by the Edmonton Journal.

I understand that people hate the Pete Weber rumors and speculation, but it really just never seems to die.

Also, just wanted to post this to say I do NOT want to give up what is mentioned here. Schenn is okay, but not Voracek along with him. Of course that is if Martin St Louis isn't here, if we could get him I might be a little more open to it.

Hopefully we can get a list of defenseman ready for the off-season who will be reportedly available. Maybe I will keep track of it and make a thread when the season ends with the possibilities of acquiring a talented defenseman. It will also help establish what we all would be willing to trade for them as fans.
I would deal Schenn, Voracek, and a pick for Weber.

Hartnell-G-VL
Read-Couturier-Simmonds
UFA-Laughton-Raffl
Rinaldo-Hall-UFA

Weber-Coburn
Streit-UFA
Gus-Schenn

Old
02-25-2014, 08:25 AM
Hollywood Couturier
Eagles That Quack

Old
02-25-2014, 08:28 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
Put a pair of skates on this man and we have our next #1 dman. I have no clue why I am the only one who sees this.....

Old
02-25-2014, 08:30 AM
sharpeye97

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I would deal Schenn, Voracek, and a pick for Weber.

Hartnell-G-VL
Read-Couturier-Simmonds
UFA-Laughton-Raffl
Rinaldo-Hall-UFA

Weber-Coburn
Streit-UFA
Gus-Schenn
Leaves Giroux without a skillful winger. VL is a good contributor but G needs/deserves a winger with skill, speed and finishing that will compliment G's playmaking. What do you do then?

Old
02-25-2014, 08:38 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpeye97 View Post
Leaves Giroux without a skillful winger. VL is a good contributor but G needs/deserves a winger with skill, speed and finishing that will compliment G's playmaking. What do you do then?
For the time being that's true, but I'd rather have Giroux without a skill-guy and Shea Weber as our #1 than Giroux with a skill-guy and Braydon Cobrun or Mark Streit as our #1.

Old
02-25-2014, 08:49 AM
flyersfan018

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Voracek, Schenn AND a first would be a HUGE haul for Nashville. It would kill our forward depth too.
Have to give up quality to get quality. I'd do it.

Old
02-25-2014, 08:55 AM
Prongo
Beer

Still think it's a lot to give up for him. We would have to find fair ground if there ever was a deal. Not likely though.

I have the worst fear we are trading for Buff in the offseason. I might cry.

Old
02-25-2014, 08:58 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

It appears I forgot Niklas Grossmann in the last mock up of my lines, but here's a solid set-up for next year in fantasy land if Weber is acquired...

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Claude Giroux ($8.275m) / Thomas Vanek ($7.300m)
Vincent Lecavalier ($4.500m) / Sean Couturier ($1.750m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Matt Read ($3.625m) / Scott Laughton ($0.894m) / Michael Raffl ($1.200m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m) / Adam Hall ($0.750m) / Tim Kennedy ($0.700m)
Jay Rosehill ($0.675m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Shea Weber ($7.857m) / Braydon Coburn ($4.500m)
Mark Streit ($5.250m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Luke Schenn ($3.600m) / Erik Gustafsson ($1.200m)
Hal Gill ($0.700m) /
GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($4.100m)
Al Montoya ($1.200m)
BUYOUTS
Daniel Briere ($0.000m)
Ilya Bryzgalov ($0.000m)
LTIR
Chris Pronger ($4.941m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $71,051,310; BONUSES: $212,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $48,690

Tim Kennedy and Hal Gil are really just filler. Replace them with any other dime-a-dozen player.

Old
02-25-2014, 09:11 AM
WelcomeToGirouxSalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
It appears I forgot Niklas Grossmann in the last mock up of my lines, but here's a solid set-up for next year in fantasy land if Weber is acquired...

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Claude Giroux ($8.275m) / Thomas Vanek ($7.300m)
Vincent Lecavalier ($4.500m) / Sean Couturier ($1.750m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Matt Read ($3.625m) / Scott Laughton ($0.894m) / Michael Raffl ($1.200m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m) / Adam Hall ($0.750m) / Tim Kennedy ($0.700m)
Jay Rosehill ($0.675m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Shea Weber ($7.857m) / Braydon Coburn ($4.500m)
Mark Streit ($5.250m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Luke Schenn ($3.600m) / Erik Gustafsson ($1.200m)
Hal Gill ($0.700m) /
GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($4.100m)
Al Montoya ($1.200m)
BUYOUTS
Daniel Briere ($0.000m)
Ilya Bryzgalov ($0.000m)
LTIR
Chris Pronger ($4.941m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $71,051,310; BONUSES: $212,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $48,690

Tim Kennedy and Hal Gil are really just filler. Replace them with any other dime-a-dozen player.
Nice idea, but Vanek is a LW, and instead of Montoya bring Heeter up for less of a cap hit.

Old
02-25-2014, 09:18 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan018 View Post
Have to give up quality to get quality. I'd do it.
Agreed. We all know the definition of insanity. Voracek and Schenn aren't going to get us to the promised land without a #1 defenseman. Better off taking the chance and trying to build around a #1C and a #1D.

Old
02-25-2014, 09:20 AM
SAINDON

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Agreed. We all know the definition of insanity. Voracek and Schenn aren't going to get us to the promised land without a #1 defenseman. Better off taking the chance and trying to build around a #1C and a #1D.
I'm not quite sure why, but I would be in favor of that trade. I feel we need a #1 D-man and with G, Couts and Laughton our middle looks pretty good for our future.

Closed Thread