HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hemsky talks about his future

Old
02-28-2014, 08:55 AM
Doppler Drift

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Hemsky hasn't been that player for a longtime. While its an interesting discussion it has little to do with the Hemsky we have now. For some reason a young player that was prolific has turned into a veteran that hasn't been for years.
Reconstructive surgery on both arms has a nasty habit of effecting people for varying lengths of time.

Doppler Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 08:59 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler Drift View Post
Reconstructive surgery on both arms has a nasty habit of effecting people for varying lengths of time.
Its been years now. Is Hemsky down for the count for the rest of his career or does he ever recover?

Fact remains this is the Hemsky we have. I don't think he's going to rebound here a whole lot.

Do you?

Funny how his shoulder woes seemed not to effect him much in Sochi.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 09:08 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Its been years now. Is Hemsky down for the count for the rest of his career or does he ever recover?

Fact remains this is the Hemsky we have. I don't think he's going to rebound here a whole lot.

Do you?

big ice more room for his shoulder to rotate obviously.

but really its a lot easier to play through a bit of pain if you have a reason to. getting packed by the wild on home ice, shut out for the 5th time on home ice. why even bother?

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 09:13 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
big ice more room for his shoulder to rotate obviously.
heh, thanks for that.

Quote:
but really its a lot easier to play through a bit of pain if you have a reason to. getting packed by the wild on home ice, shut out for the 5th time on home ice. why even bother?
Well, jmo that if 5M/ doesn't motivate I don't even...

Old
02-28-2014, 09:14 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
Quote:
heh, thanks for that.

Well, jmo that if 5M/ doesn't motivate I don't even...
true but at this point hemsky is playing not to get hurt, he cant be traded if he is hurt. and he is going to get the $5m either way

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 09:29 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
true but at this point hemsky is playing not to get hurt, he cant be traded if he is hurt. and he is going to get the $5m either way
Right, almost forgot the pattern. Somebody get the bubblewrap out, its that time again.

Whats the over/under he's healthy till March 5?

I feel a little dirty even speculating on that..

Old
02-28-2014, 09:35 AM
destro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
Hemsky was anything but a passenger, as is being implied by one or two in this thread, and most certainly a catalyst in the 2006 playoff run. The poster who is trying to downplay and minimalize his contributions should try and make his ongoing agenda against this player less obvious; trivializing second assists and ignoring the fact that Hemsky's importance to the team during that run went far beyond putting up points (Watch the games and you'll see he bought in defensively and played just as good of a 200' game as anybody else on the roster) is revisionist history that is biased and slanted to fit into this warped reality Trafalgar Law seems to want to create every single time anybody so much as mentions Ales Hemsky.

Another point in this thread that was made by Replacement about Ryan Smyth not being a beneficiary of Ales Hemsky and it being the other way around. I'd beg to differ; Ales Hemsky is a large part of the reason why both he and Shawn Horcoff cashed in on the contracts they did.
The playoff run was 8 years ago. Hemsky and Smyth haven't been an effective combination since Smyth was traded 7 years ago. The Hemsky that played for the Oilers back then is long gone.

Quote:
I don't know why people are looking at Ales Hemsky's career as a whole through this narrow lens of the past two or three seasons, two of which were ended due to shoulder surgery. Prior to those injuries he was on pace for two of the best seasons of his career both times;
Because one of the best ways to predict a veteran players performance is by looking at their performance over the last 2-3 seasons. Note that none of his last 3 seasons ended with shoulder surgery. His last shoulder surgery was at the end of the 2010-2011 season.

But, if you want to widen the lens, why don't we look at his career as a whole? If you prorate this season and last season to 82 games, over his whole NHL career Hemsky averages 63 games per season, with an average of 13 goals and 32 assists (45 points). That's not exactly an impressive contribution to the team.

Quote:
which brings up another point, the people who say that Hemsky plays soft and avoids contact... if he were that type of player, he'd be a much healthier one too. At this point it shouldn't have to even be mentioned but contrary to what some may believe, there is a difference between playing cerebral and not giving a ****. If people still can't understand the way Hemsky plays the game after all these years, they either haven't been watching him or are too entrenched in their loathing of the player to want to acknowledge this fact.
You're saying that he doesn't avoid contact which leads to him being consistently injured... and this is a good thing?

Quote:
Funny how a narrative can be so twisted to fit ones point of view. Edmonton hockey fans may be smart at times but they don't hesitate to turn on and eat their own. No wonder players don't want to play in Canadian fishbowl's.
I don't think we should be happy with his current performance simply because he used to be a good player in the past. He hasn't been a significant contributor (i.e, gotten more than 45 points in a season) for this team since 2008-09.

destro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 10:03 AM
Doppler Drift

Quote:

Do you?

Didn't say anything of the sort. You used to be a good poster, now you just try and start fights. It is rather sad. You are doing the same sad routine that others are doing to Gagner. Wild, hyperbolic statements, with tenuous at best factual basis, cherry picking of stats, etc only to get a rise out of others. Or to defend their own favorite player.

I'm out. HF oil has descended into a playground pissing match.

Doppler Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 10:11 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler Drift View Post
Didn't say anything of the sort. You used to be a good poster, now you just try and start fights. It is rather sad. You are doing the same sad routine that others are doing to Gagner. Wild, hyperbolic statements, with tenuous at best factual basis, cherry picking of stats, etc only to get a rise out of others. Or to defend their own favorite player.

I'm out. HF oil has descended into a playground pissing match.
Well, fair enough, I agree that hf has descended into something. But I don't think I've attacked anybody, or been just trying to pick fights get a rise out of others. As always I'm interested in the discussion. Which I thought I kept civil. The team, it seems, is impacting my posting here, as it is many others I suspect.

I'm frustrated with the players on this club. Or the coach, or..

its become a negative environment, I don't exist here in a vacuum.

When I see frustration here I for the most part try to look at it as frustration regarding the club. Which it is.

Probably time for all of us to take a break but I don't seem to possess the self discipline.

In anycase I've always enjoyed your posting

Last edited by Replacement: 02-28-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Old
02-28-2014, 11:20 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
That's exactly the kind of attitude the Oilers need as far away as possible from the team.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 11:39 AM
GMofOilers

Cant wait till they trade him. No room here for him, hasnt been for a while.

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 01:26 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 234
Quote:
Right, almost forgot the pattern. Somebody get the bubblewrap out, its that time again.

Whats the over/under he's healthy till March 5?

I feel a little dirty even speculating on that..
For this reason alone I was kinda surprised to see him in the line up last night. He's a ticking time bomb this week.

rboomercat90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 11:00 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Hemsky is ****ing useless. Who knew. I can't count the amount of times he's given up the puck tonight, went offside, made blind passes. His game is a complete joke right now.

5M for this crap?

seeya

Old
03-02-2014, 12:15 AM
Oilking83

Quote:
Hemsky is ****ing useless. Who knew. I can't count the amount of times he's given up the puck tonight, went offside, made blind passes. His game is a complete joke right now.

5M for this crap?

seeya
Hemsky wasn't very good tonight but he was better than the two "wonder kids" we're building our team around tonight.

Oilking83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 12:23 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilking83 View Post
Hemsky wasn't very good tonight but he was better than the two "wonder kids" we're building our team around tonight.
He wasn't really and was tapdancing as much as the other two.

Flames had a few rooks out there that were light years better than these guys.

Hemsky is 30yrs old. This should be him owning the NHL. He's in prime, and yet virtually no game.

What a waste of a career. Hemsky has 140career goals.

For perspective on how mediocre that is Raffi Torres has 136 and has been relegated to bit bottomsix minutes on various clubs for several years.

Old
03-02-2014, 12:33 AM
Oilking83

Quote:
He wasn't really and was tapdancing as much as the other two.

Flames had a few rooks out there that were light years better than these guys.

Hemsky is 30yrs old. This should be him owning the NHL. He's in prime, and yet virtually no game.

What a waste of a career. Hemsky has 140career goals.

For perspective on how mediocre that is Raffi Torres has 136 and has been relegated to bit bottomsix minutes on various clubs for several years.
And Henrik Sedin has 191 goals in almost a 1000 nhl games. Let's not pretend Hemsky was ever expected to be a goal scorer. He's a playmaker plain and simple and was pretty good one before his injuries. My point is that Hemsky is out the door in 4 days and instead of kicking him on his way out let's remember he was our only good player for a number of years. And I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if he goes back to scoring 60 points on a new team and everyone here complaining we only got a 2nd rounder for him.

Old
03-02-2014, 12:37 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
And Henrik Sedin has 191 goals in almost a 1000 nhl games. Let's not pretend Hemsky was ever expected to be a goal scorer. He's a playmaker plain and simple and was pretty good one before his injuries. My point is that Hemsky is out the door in 4 days and instead of kicking him on his way out let's remember he was our only good player for a number of years.
Hemsky isn't a particularly good playmaker either. This was a guy who was forcefed massive PP minutes for years and worked a pretty pedestrian halfboards PP. With the production of those units rarely being particularly good.

Fact of the matter is Hemsky is a player only in the NHL for offense, who other than a few years hasn't been particularly good at producing.

Lets not even pretend to compare the sublime passing and cycle ability of H Sedin to Hemsky jebus.

If Hemsky scores 60pts ever again in the NHL you can give me the gears here. I'll be here.

Old
03-02-2014, 12:49 AM
Oilking83

Quote:
Hemsky isn't a particularly good playmaker either. This was a guy who was forcefed massive PP minutes for years and worked a pretty pedestrian halfboards PP. With the production of those units rarely being particularly good.

Fact of the matter is Hemsky is a player only in the NHL for offense, who other than a few years hasn't been particularly good at producing.

Lets not even pretend to compare the sublime passing and cycle ability of H Sedin to Hemsky jebus.

If Hemsky scores 60pts ever again in the NHL you can give me the gears here. I'll be here.
From 05-06 to 08-09(before Hemsky's injuries) Hemsky: 267pts in 291gms (0.92ppg) Henrik: 314pts in 328 gms (0.96ppg). Looks comparable to me. And Hemsky didnt have a twin.

Old
03-02-2014, 12:53 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
From 05-06 to 08-09(before Hemsky's injuries) Hemsky: 267pts in 291gms (0.92ppg) Henrik: 314pts in 328 gms (0.96ppg). Looks comparable to me. And Hemsky didnt have a twin.
I appreciate the civil replies and conversation. Sorry If I'm being pigheaded. Kind of pissed just being an Oiler fan lately.

Anyway where it isn't comparable is Sedin having 400 more pts than Hemsky.

Hemsky could play till he's 40 and not reach H Sedins total pts.

Old
03-02-2014, 01:07 AM
Oilking83

Quote:
I appreciate the civil replies and conversation. Sorry If I'm being pigheaded. Kind of pissed just being an Oiler fan lately.

Anyway where it isn't comparable is Sedin having 400 more pts than Hemsky.

Hemsky could play till he's 40 and not reach H Sedins total pts.
No worries I think we're all a little aggravated from watching the dumpster fire that it is Oilers hockey. And you're right he'll likely never catch Henrik but a key reason to that is Hemsky missing 2 consecutive season in his prime due to injury and then playing second fiddle to the "young guns" when he returned. That would have a negative impact on anyone's career. But I ask myself if Hemsky didn't get injured in 09-10 and 10-11 do we have Hall and Nuge? Probably not. We would still be a bubble team praying to get a star to come play with Hemmer.

Old
03-02-2014, 11:24 AM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

vCash: 882
I predict Hemsky hates or doesn't give a carp about MacT and does not want to get traded wants to get his 5 mil and leave the oilers for no compensation this summer. Goes to Europe gets paid handsome and is treated good.

You saw the look he gave MacT.

He will give all five fingers to the Oilers.

fuswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 11:49 AM
camboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuswald View Post
I predict Hemsky hates or doesn't give a carp about MacT and does not want to get traded wants to get his 5 mil and leave the oilers for no compensation this summer. Goes to Europe gets paid handsome and is treated good.

You saw the look he gave MacT.

He will give all five fingers to the Oilers.
I for one am going to miss Hemmer when he's gone. Lots of fond memories and for me he ranks as one of the best Oilers of all time. I wish the haters could just accept him for what he is/was. Classy guy and a very good professional. He still has good hockey in him and I predict he will help whatever team he ends up on. Go Hemmer!!!

camboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 12:20 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by camboy View Post
I for one am going to miss Hemmer when he's gone. Lots of fond memories and for me he ranks as one of the best Oilers of all time. I wish the haters could just accept him for what he is/was. Classy guy and a very good professional. He still has good hockey in him and I predict he will help whatever team he ends up on. Go Hemmer!!!
Lol. One of the best Oilers of all time? He's had less impact than Petr Klima did. A good professional? He's shown no interest in a two way game until this year and even now isn't very good defensively and his offense has dried up. I agree with you that he is what he is and it was obvious to many outside of Oilers management exactly what that was years ago. He has nothing to complain about. He made millions of dollars here that he wouldn't of been able to make if he played else where. I predict he'll help the team he goes to about as much as Dubnyk has helped the Predators.

It isn't all his fault. He is a product of spending his career in a bad organization run by people who don't have a clue what they are doing. He's been ruined and at his age I don't think he comes back from it. He isn't alone, Gagner has suffered the same fate, maybe a move for him now can still save his career. It's hard to look at any of our young kids right now and not wonder if we'll be having a similar conversation about them a few years down the road.

rboomercat90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 12:30 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
Lol. One of the best Oilers of all time? He's had less impact than Petr Klima did. A good professional? He's shown no interest in a two way game until this year and even now isn't very good defensively and his offense has dried up. I agree with you that he is what he is and it was obvious to many outside of Oilers management exactly what that was years ago. He has nothing to complain about. He made millions of dollars here that he wouldn't of been able to make if he played else where. I predict he'll help the team he goes to about as much as Dubnyk has helped the Predators.

It isn't all his fault. He is a product of spending his career in a bad organization run by people who don't have a clue what they are doing. He's been ruined and at his age I don't think he comes back from it. He isn't alone, Gagner has suffered the same fate, maybe a move for him now can still save his career. It's hard to look at any of our young kids right now and not wonder if we'll be having a similar conversation about them a few years down the road.
Pretty good post.

Its an odd thing with Hemsky. I think people must be seduced by his silky moves and occasional ability to pull some fancy stuff out there. With him it seems he's all flair.

When other people are looking at the moves and going ahhhhh I'm looking at a player than manages to confuse opponents and team mates alike and who's play is an enigma to almost everybody he plays with. I see less syncing with Hemsky through the years than with any other topsix player in our lineup. I would say only Yak is comparable in being hard to figure out. But with Yak only being here a short time.

Fact of the matter is Hemsky is an ineffective player who just doesn't produce. That's who Hemsky is now.

Last edited by Replacement: 03-02-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old
03-02-2014, 12:57 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Pretty good post.

Its an odd thing with Hemsky. I think people must be seduced by his silky moves and occasional ability to pull some fancy stuff out there. With him it seems he's all flair.

When other people are looking at the moves and going ahhhhh I'm looking at a player than manages to confuse opponents and team mates alike and who's play is an enigma to almost everybody he plays with. I see less syncing with Hemsky through the years than with any other topsix player in our lineup. I would say only Yak is comparable in being hard to figure out. But with Yak only being here a short time.

Fact of the matter is he's an ineffective player who just doesn't produce. That's who Hemsky is now.
Yep, that's definitely a big part of the problem. The sad thing is that management seems to have been mesmerized the same way as the fan base. How else do you explain the collection of one dimensional cream puffs? If you can put up points or beat a guy one on one with a fancy toe drag you're a good player in oil country.

Hemsky should have been sewered years ago. I see it playing out one of 2 ways. Hemsky plays in the next game or 2 and sustains a season ending injury and he walks in free agency. He gets traded for a 2 rounder. Once at his new team he flips on his compete switch, plays well for a handful of games before getting lit up and done for the season.

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote