HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hemsky talks about his future

Old
03-02-2014, 01:01 PM
camboy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
Lol. One of the best Oilers of all time? He's had less impact than Petr Klima did. A good professional? He's shown no interest in a two way game until this year and even now isn't very good defensively and his offense has dried up. I agree with you that he is what he is and it was obvious to many outside of Oilers management exactly what that was years ago. He has nothing to complain about. He made millions of dollars here that he wouldn't of been able to make if he played else where. I predict he'll help the team he goes to about as much as Dubnyk has helped the Predators.

It isn't all his fault. He is a product of spending his career in a bad organization run by people who don't have a clue what they are doing. He's been ruined and at his age I don't think he comes back from it. He isn't alone, Gagner has suffered the same fate, maybe a move for him now can still save his career. It's hard to look at any of our young kids right now and not wonder if we'll be having a similar conversation about them a few years down the road.
I think you take it all a bit to seriously but hey your entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. Hemsky has been a good Oiler and that's my point.

camboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 01:09 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

When other people are looking at the moves and going ahhhhh I'm looking at a player than manages to confuse opponents and team mates alike and who's play is an enigma to almost everybody he plays with. I see less syncing with Hemsky through the years than with any other topsix player in our lineup.
This team spent years trying to find players that could play with him and they couldn't. The only line mates he ever had any type of success with were Horcoff and Smyth and that was because they kept it simple. Hemsky got the puck to Horcoff who put a shot on net and Smyth was was strong enough to stay in the crease and clean up the garbage. Even that success was really only able to work for one season.

rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 08:28 PM
Oilking83

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbiomercat90 View Post
This team spent years trying to find players that could play with him and they couldn't. The only line mates he ever had any type of success with were Horcoff and Smyth and that was because they kept it simple. Hemsky got the puck to Horcoff who put a shot on net and Smyth was was strong enough to stay in the crease and clean up the garbage. Even that success was really only able to work for one season.
You make it seem like the team got hemsky talented line mates and for whatever reason it didn't work. But in reality the team COULDN'T get hemsky a quality linemate because none of them wanted to play in Edmonton. Heatley, Hossa, Nylander ring a bell? He had success with Horcoff and Smyth because they were the best players on the team outside of him.

Oilking83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 09:55 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilking83 View Post
You make it seem like the team got hemsky talented line mates and for whatever reason it didn't work. But in reality the team COULDN'T get hemsky a quality linemate because none of them wanted to play in Edmonton. Heatley, Hossa, Nylander ring a bell? He had success with Horcoff and Smyth because they were the best players on the team outside of him.
The Oilers obtained Kotalik, at cost of a pick, at Hemskys suggestion. Afairc Nedved was also here a couple times to help out the young Hemsky.

Comrie was also supposedly an answer for the young Hemsky. Carter, the list goes on.

Fact of the matter is Hemsky doesn't sync particularly well with other players. the only player that ever appreciated in production due to playing with Hemsky was Horcoff.

Good players are said to make other players better. This hasn't been the case for the most with Hemsky.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 10:27 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

He sure seemed to play decently with Samsonov.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 11:01 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
He sure seemed to play decently with Samsonov.
On the contrary Samsonov was driving that offense with brilliant forays into traffic and challenging the D. Samsonovs puck possession skills were extraordinary in the first two rounds. After that not so much.

Samsonov was a player that makes plays pretty much on his own or with good looks from D outlets.

Hemsky had very little to do with that.

Old
03-02-2014, 11:02 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

The first two statements of your post describe Hemsky's game to a tee.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 11:13 PM
Fuhryous

Quote:
The Oilers obtained Kotalik, at cost of a pick, at Hemskys suggestion. Afairc Nedved was also here a couple times to help out the young Hemsky.

Comrie was also supposedly an answer for the young Hemsky. Carter, the list goes on.

Fact of the matter is Hemsky doesn't sync particularly well with other players. the only player that ever appreciated in production due to playing with Hemsky was Horcoff.

Good players are said to make other players better. This hasn't been the case for the most with Hemsky.
Dallas is in 8th spot at the moment...I wonder if Hemsky is on their radar. I could now see Dallas as a dark horse to land him on or before wednesday.

Fuhryous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 11:13 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
The first two statements of your post describe Hemsky's game to a tee.
Not really. Hemsky has an inordinate ability to cause offside plays by not being in sync with linemates. When he's not turning the puck over forcing a passing play.

An effective Hemsky plays like a bullet and rushes the puck up ice and finds seams and attacks the box immediately and flies in for a scoring chance. I like that Hemsky even if it causes the occasional turnover.

The non north south Hemsky meanders around aimlessly around the perimeter telegraphing movement and passes all the while. This is the tentative Hemsky and his usual state of being.

Samsonov was like a puck control waterbug out there. Its like this puck is mine try to get it. Hemsky isn't nearly as effective in the paint with the puck and why he doesn't score a lot of goals and why his career stagnated.

Samsonov could've been really good, but really seemed like he didn't want it longterm.

Old
03-02-2014, 11:16 PM
Beerfish

Quote:

Hemksy made Horcoff into a 7 year 7 million dollar man, he made a limited suspect player into a very very very rich player. If Horcoff doesn't play with Hemksy in his near prime he is the same player he was at the end of his career, 10 goals, 27 assists.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 11:24 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Hemksy made Horcoff into a 7 year 7 million dollar man, he made a limited suspect player into a very very very rich player. If Horcoff doesn't play with Hemksy in his near prime he is the same player he was at the end of his career, 10 goals, 27 assists.
I specifically stated Horcoff. Thanks for pointing out a point I already made captain obvious.

Next I'll comment on it being cold outside and you're write a paragraph correcting me that its cold outside.

Old
03-02-2014, 11:32 PM
Kalel

Quote:

In addition to Smyth and Horcoff, I'd throw in Penner and Sykora as being successful linemates...guys that were not fast but simply let hemsky carry the puck, got open for a feed and could finish.

Hemsky also is a player that has always been fairly effective feeding the point. He used to have Pronger, Lubo, Souray, etc We haven't had a true threat in the backend in awhile. Last few years it seems like he has been perennially feeding Nick Shultz.

Kalel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 11:43 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalel View Post
In addition to Smyth and Horcoff, I'd throw in Penner and Sykora as being successful linemates...guys that were not fast but simply let hemsky carry the puck, got open for a feed and could finish.

Hemsky also is a player that has always been fairly effective feeding the point. He used to have Pronger, Lubo, Souray, etc We haven't had a true threat in the backend in awhile. Last few years it seems like he has been perennially feeding Nick Shultz.
With all due respect I could feed the point. It doesn't take sublime skill to do so.

That said the one talent in feeding the point properly is feigning a pass somewhere else first and getting the coverage to move down before the pass back. Hemsky is more and more guilty of telegraphing his passes at this stage in his career. I don't know why. its like he's lost the interest in even trying.

Old
03-03-2014, 12:23 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
Lol. One of the best Oilers of all time? He's had less impact than Petr Klima did. A good professional? He's shown no interest in a two way game until this year and even now isn't very good defensively and his offense has dried up. I agree with you that he is what he is and it was obvious to many outside of Oilers management exactly what that was years ago. He has nothing to complain about. He made millions of dollars here that he wouldn't of been able to make if he played else where. I predict he'll help the team he goes to about as much as Dubnyk has helped the Predators.

It isn't all his fault. He is a product of spending his career in a bad organization run by people who don't have a clue what they are doing. He's been ruined and at his age I don't think he comes back from it. He isn't alone, Gagner has suffered the same fate, maybe a move for him now can still save his career. It's hard to look at any of our young kids right now and not wonder if we'll be having a similar conversation about them a few years down the road.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 12:46 AM
Kalel

Quote:
With all due respect I could feed the point. It doesn't take sublime skill to do so.

That said the one talent in feeding the point properly is feigning a pass somewhere else first and getting the coverage to move down before the pass back. Hemsky is more and more guilty of telegraphing his passes at this stage in his career. I don't know why. its like he's lost the interest in even trying.
Hemmer used to be able to gain entry with ease, beat a defender, circle all the way around, and find a Dman ready to bomb it. I'd argue he used his point man better than his linemates throughout his career. Might not be sublime but again I feel he's been more effective at it than many Oilers the last decade. I'd agree he's been less dynamic with his passing lately though, and he relies too much on the point - especially now when there's no big threat there anymore.

However, the original point of my reply was less about skill it takes to pass to the point, but more so despite being called enigmatic and hard to play with, which I won't really disagree with- he's found production with players other than Horc and Smyth and I was just naming others, and why he might have succeeded with them.

Last edited by Kalel: 03-03-2014 at 12:53 AM.
Kalel is offline   Reply With Quote