HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Intermediate hockey stick help

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2014, 01:22 PM
Southtxbees

vCash: 500
Intermediate hockey stick help

Hey, I need a new stick, any well priced suggestions? Also what blade do you suggest for a forward who needs to make accurate top shelfers and can still have good stick handling and passing

Old
02-22-2014, 07:19 PM
Onetimersniper28
#ibelieveinsasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southtxbees View Post
Hey, I need a new stick, any well priced suggestions? Also what blade do you suggest for a forward who needs to make accurate top shelfers and can still have good stick handling and passing
I'm really biased towards Bauer gear, because I believe they give you the most for your money. I don't know what you consider well priced, but at $100, you can find the Vapor X6.0. It's not too far from the APX in terms of performance (I owned both). Puck feel is good, it's one of the lightest stick of its price range. It has the multiple kick points that you can find in the high end models.

As for the curve, I suggest either the P92 or the P14. Those are the two best curves available for going top shelf with the wrist shot besides the P08. I find the P88 and the PM9 difficult to use to roof the puck.
The P14 is shorter than the P92, which makes it better for stickhandling in tight space, but I prefer the P92 for sending saucer passes.

Old
02-22-2014, 07:34 PM
goonx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southtxbees View Post
Hard to really say, it's all personal preference. It's blind shooting right now without knowing your budget and playing style.

I hear toe curves are the best for high shots but it's really all about technique as well. Crosby has a flat curve and snipes as accurate as anyone in the NHL.

Old
02-22-2014, 09:04 PM
Onetimersniper28
#ibelieveinsasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonx View Post
Hard to really say, it's all personal preference. It's blind shooting right now without knowing your budget and playing style.

I hear toe curves are the best for high shots but it's really all about technique as well. Crosby has a flat curve and snipes as accurate as anyone in the NHL.

Not anymore, his curve is deeper than the curve he used as a rookie. He started using a deeper curve after starting to use composite OPS. I believe he did that to get extra zip on his shots.
I still find his curve to be quite neutral, it helps him elevating his wicked backhander.
Let's not use Crosby as an example, he literally does everything effortlessly.

Old
02-23-2014, 02:47 AM
Islespuck89

Easton Sakic its now the hall model (p3). With ease you can roof shots from tight in with minimal wrist action. I suck I score goals on rebounds since i can quickly and accurately roof shots with my stick. Downfall backhands are tough, I find receiving passes and stick handling fine. the Bauer p92 the above poster mentioned is the same as sackic but with a 5 lie instead of 5.5

Old
02-23-2014, 10:37 AM
TheSkatingDead

I'd check out the Reebok 16K Datsyuk (all-in-one curve) stick... only $80 over at Hockey Monkey, plus there's an additional 15% right now.

Old
02-23-2014, 10:50 AM
SillyMe

HM also has CCM CL and CS sticks on clearance for < 100

Old
02-23-2014, 11:05 AM
AIREAYE

There's no such thing as an 'all-in-one' curve. It's purely personal preference...

Old
02-23-2014, 03:51 PM
Onetimersniper28
#ibelieveinsasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islespuck89 View Post
Easton Sakic its now the hall model (p3). With ease you can roof shots from tight in with minimal wrist action. I suck I score goals on rebounds since i can quickly and accurately roof shots with my stick. Downfall backhands are tough, I find receiving passes and stick handling fine. the Bauer p92 the above poster mentioned is the same as sackic but with a 5 lie instead of 5.5
Actually, Bauer offers the P92 with either the Lie 5 or the Lie 6. The Lie 5's are harder to come by.

Old
02-24-2014, 01:31 PM
TheSkatingDead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
There's no such thing as an 'all-in-one' curve...
Don't shoot the messenger, I was just copying what Reebok's curve chart was citing for the Datsyuk blade...

Based on this chart, sounds like you might like the Crosby P87 curve...

Old
02-24-2014, 02:05 PM
AIREAYE

-shot-

Old
02-24-2014, 07:51 PM
Vuronov

I've been using the Reebok 25k stick and have grown to like it quite a bit. It has the same features as the top end RibCor stick with only a slight increase in weight. With the usual discounts available via online retailers you can have it for a bit over $100.

The Crosby curve is available but so is the Bergeron which I've been trying.

Old
02-25-2014, 01:08 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If the OP comes back, send me a PM and I'll open the thread back up.

Closed Thread