HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > IIHF World Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
IIHF World Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Rank the top 8.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-24-2014, 10:19 PM
  #1
Lollipop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 840
vCash: 500
Rank the top 8.

Right now there are threads about World rankings and about Finland being a top 3 country or not.

Much complaining but now you have a chance. Rank top 8 Canada, Sweden, Finland, USA, Russia, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Switzerland.

How do YOUR ranking look like? And why?

Lollipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 10:28 PM
  #2
JaysCyYoung
Registered User
 
JaysCyYoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: York Region
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,821
vCash: 500
1. Canada
2. Sweden
3. Finland
4. United States
5. Russia
6. Czech Republic
7. Switzerland
8. Slovakia

JaysCyYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 10:33 PM
  #3
CpatainCanuck
Registered User
 
CpatainCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollipop View Post
Right now there are threads about World rankings and about Finland being a top 3 country or not.

Much complaining but now you have a chance. Rank top 8 Canada, Sweden, Finland, USA, Russia, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Switzerland.

How do YOUR ranking look like? And why?
Canada
Sweden
USA
Russia
Finland
Czech Republic
Slovakia
Switzerland

Canada speaks for itself: Canada is in a league of its one in terms of depth of talent

Sweden managed to win Silver despite a depleted lineup

The USA has a great, fast team who only lost to Canada by a single goal despite playing a sub-par game.

Russia, although sucking in this tournament, has the talent to challenge for the Gold with the right lineup and coaching.

Finland consistently wins Bronze medals, however that is due to coaching and work ethic. In terms of talent they list in 5th place.

The Czech Republic is still a talented team despite sliding down the rankings in recent years.

Slovakia, despite some great top-end talent doesn't seem to be able to put it together on the ice.

Switzerland routinely plays teams ranked above it to close results, often upsetting. However their lack of top-end talent puts them at the bottom of this list.

CpatainCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 10:34 PM
  #4
psycho_dad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Saint John, N.B
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollipop View Post
Right now there are threads about World rankings and about Finland being a top 3 country or not.

Much complaining but now you have a chance. Rank top 8 Canada, Sweden, Finland, USA, Russia, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Switzerland.

How do YOUR ranking look like? And why?
1. Canada
2. Sweden
3. Finland
4. USA
5. Russia
6. Czech
7. Slovakia
8. Switzerland

Ranking them by success in the last 15+ years, within this era.

Canada, Sweden and Finland are clear cut top 3. They have the most medals (canada has most golds and is easily #1, Sweden has a win and a bit better success than Finland), Finland has the most medals but no wins. These 3 have beaten the ones under them in head to head games more often than not.

You could argue putting Czech ahead of Russia because Czech have that one gold but it's from 1998 and not recent, and Russia has done better since so that's why I have them that way.

psycho_dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 10:41 PM
  #5
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!
 
OttawaRoughRiderFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
1. Canada
2. Sweden
3. Finland
4. USA
5. Russia
6. Czech
7. Slovakia
8. Switzerland

Ranking them by success in the last 15+ years, within this era.

Canada, Sweden and Finland are clear cut top 3. They have the most medals (canada has most golds and is easily #1, Sweden has a win and a bit better success than Finland), Finland has the most medals but no wins. These 3 have beaten the ones under them in head to head games more often than not.

You could argue putting Czech ahead of Russia because Czech have that one gold but it's from 1998 and not recent, and Russia has done better since so that's why I have them that way.
I can live with this.

OttawaRoughRiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 10:42 PM
  #6
WarriorofTime
Registered User
 
WarriorofTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,258
vCash: 500
Canada A
Canada B
Canada C
Canada D
Canada E
Canada F
Sweden
Canada G

We're not worthy

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 10:44 PM
  #7
TheFeistyFinn
Registered User
 
TheFeistyFinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysCyYoung View Post
1. Canada
2. Sweden
3. Finland
4. United States
5. Russia
6. Czech Republic
7. Switzerland
8. Slovakia
this.

TheFeistyFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 10:45 PM
  #8
Rentsi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 59
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
Canada
Sweden
USA
Russia
Finland
Czech Republic
Slovakia
Switzerland

Canada speaks for itself: Canada is in a league of its one in terms of depth of talent

Sweden managed to win Silver despite a depleted lineup

The USA has a great, fast team who only lost to Canada by a single goal despite playing a sub-par game.

Russia, although sucking in this tournament, has the talent to challenge for the Gold with the right lineup and coaching.

Finland consistently wins Bronze medals, however that is due to coaching and work ethic. In terms of talent they list in 5th place.

The Czech Republic is still a talented team despite sliding down the rankings in recent years.

Slovakia, despite some great top-end talent doesn't seem to be able to put it together on the ice.

Switzerland routinely plays teams ranked above it to close results, often upsetting. However their lack of top-end talent puts them at the bottom of this list.
Canada's depth of talent can only be seen in olympics. If they really are in a league of its own, shouldn't they be able to dominate also junior and wc tournaments? Sweden has 1 gold and 2 silvers from the last 3 international tournaments (Olympics, wjc and wc2013). Canada has 1 gold and 4th and 5th places.

Rentsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 10:56 PM
  #9
Virtanev
+
 
Virtanev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,389
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentsi View Post
Canada's depth of talent can only be seen in olympics. If they really are in a league of its own, shouldn't they be able to dominate also junior and wc tournaments? Sweden has 1 gold and 2 silvers from the last 3 international tournaments (Olympics, wjc and wc2013). Canada has 1 gold and 4th and 5th places.
Yeah because the WJC and WC are even close to as relevant as a best on best tournament like the Olympics. Canada's best juniors (Mackinnon, Rielly and Monahan) were to busy playing in the NHL. While most of Canada's best players are playing in the Playoffs during the world championships, if really isn't apples to apples.

__________________


OP Genasis: have you guys thought people are starting to get tired of Team Curl's antics? 21:56

Virtanev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 10:57 PM
  #10
WarriorofTime
Registered User
 
WarriorofTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RK 17 View Post
Yeah because the WJC and WC are even close to as relevant as a best on best tournament like the Olympics. Canada's best juniors (Mackinnon, Rielly and Monahan) were to busy playing in the NHL. While most of Canada's best players are playing in the Playoffs during the world championships, if really isn't apples to apples.
So were Finland's in Barkov and Maatta. I don't know why Canadians have a tough time understanding that you're not the only country for whom that applies.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 10:58 PM
  #11
CpatainCanuck
Registered User
 
CpatainCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentsi View Post
Canada's depth of talent can only be seen in olympics. If they really are in a league of its own, shouldn't they be able to dominate also junior and wc tournaments? Sweden has 1 gold and 2 silvers from the last 3 international tournaments (Olympics, wjc and wc2013). Canada has 1 gold and 4th and 5th places.
I wasn't aware that we were talking about non-best-on-best tournaments. My point was that Canada has players on its 4th line and 3rd defensive pairing that could play on most team's 1st line or top pairing...

CpatainCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:08 PM
  #12
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic
 
Jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RK 17 View Post
Yeah because the WJC and WC are even close to as relevant as a best on best tournament like the Olympics. Canada's best juniors (Mackinnon, Rielly and Monahan) were to busy playing in the NHL. While most of Canada's best players are playing in the Playoffs during the world championships, if really isn't apples to apples.
Not in 2013

Jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:10 PM
  #13
Sithere
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,835
vCash: 50
1. Canada
2. Sweden
3. Finland
4. United States
5. Russia
6. Czech Republic
7. Switzerland
8. Slovakia
9. Latvia

Sithere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:11 PM
  #14
Rentsi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 59
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RK 17 View Post
Yeah because the WJC and WC are even close to as relevant as a best on best tournament like the Olympics. Canada's best juniors (Mackinnon, Rielly and Monahan) were to busy playing in the NHL. While most of Canada's best players are playing in the Playoffs during the world championships, if really isn't apples to apples.
So what you are saying is that World juniors were not best-on-best because Canada didn't have 3 players there. Finland did not have Barkov and Määttä because they were in the NHL too. But still olympics were best-on-best even though finland and sweden lost way more than 3 players to injuries. I'm confused.. And are you also saying that Canada lacks depth behind their brightest stars??(MacKinnon, Rielly and Monahan) This is the reason why I don't think that your depth is in a league of its own..


Last edited by Rentsi: 02-24-2014 at 11:31 PM.
Rentsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:14 PM
  #15
Stud Muffin
Registered User
 
Stud Muffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 816
vCash: 504
Canada
Sweeden
Russia
Finland
Czech
USA
Slovakia
Switzerland
Denmark
Belarus
Norway
Austria
Slovenia
Latvia
Germany

Stud Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:30 PM
  #16
MMANumminen
Registered User
 
MMANumminen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arctic Circle
Country: Finland
Posts: 686
vCash: 500
1. Canada

2. Sweden

3. Finland

4. Usa
5. Russia

6. Czech

7. Switzerland
8. Slovakia

MMANumminen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 11:54 PM
  #17
FinRuutu
Red Wins
 
FinRuutu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 4,981
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMANumminen View Post
1. Canada

2. Sweden

3. Finland

4. Usa
5. Russia

6. Czech

7. Switzerland
8. Slovakia
I'd go with this.

FinRuutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 12:00 AM
  #18
DearDiary
Registered User
 
DearDiary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,212
vCash: 956
First thing I did was read the 3rd post, saw my username quoted. Had my mind blown trying to remember myself making that post. Then I saw the OP

DearDiary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 12:02 AM
  #19
Virtanev
+
 
Virtanev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,389
vCash: 50
And even ignoring those facts do you people actually believe the world juniors are relevant to who's currently the best hockey nation? Canada's won 4 of the last 5 best on best tournaments. So yes I do consider them ahead of the rest.

Virtanev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 12:33 AM
  #20
firstemperor
Registered User
 
firstemperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMANumminen View Post
1. Canada

2. Sweden

3. Finland

4. Usa
5. Russia

6. Czech

7. Switzerland
8. Slovakia
Pretty good list. I think Finland could have won if Rask was healthy but in general, the Swedish team has more talent on paper IMO (sitting OEL, no Hedman, etc.- those are just major head-scratchers.)

firstemperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 12:36 AM
  #21
WarriorofTime
Registered User
 
WarriorofTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RK 17 View Post
And even ignoring those facts do you people actually believe the world juniors are relevant to who's currently the best hockey nation? Canada's won 4 of the last 5 best on best tournaments. So yes I do consider them ahead of the rest.
Nobody is arguing that Canada is not #1.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 12:37 AM
  #22
Fraser Read
Registered User
 
Fraser Read's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cairns
Country: Australia
Posts: 3,729
vCash: 500
My rankings are based off my opinions of each countries potential to win a gold medal. In other words I would call the Canada the favorite in a gold medal game against the United States. I would think of the United States as the favorite against Sweden, and so on.

1. Canada
2. United States
3. Sweden
4. Russia
5. Finland
6. Switzerland
7. Czech Republic
8. Slovakia

Fraser Read is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 12:39 AM
  #23
psycho_dad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Saint John, N.B
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todds Chiropractory View Post
I would think of the the United States as the favorite against Sweden
Based on what exactly?

psycho_dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 12:42 AM
  #24
WarriorofTime
Registered User
 
WarriorofTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
Based on what exactly?
It's not exactly a crazy notion. The last time these two countries played in the Olympics was a group stage game 8 years ago… so not a whole lot to work off.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 12:44 AM
  #25
psycho_dad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Saint John, N.B
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
It's not exactly a crazy notion. The last time these two countries played in the Olympics was a group stage game 8 years ago… so not a whole lot to work off.
Well, Sweden has done a hell of a lot better. And Finland as well and they have played against USA quite a bit and won most.

So yes, it is a bit of a crazy notion.

psycho_dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.