HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

How Many Winnipeg Jets Players Have Even Read This Jets Forum?

Old
02-25-2014, 12:43 PM
buggs

vCash: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by scelaton View Post
Have any of you ever been the subject of a newspaper article or 'news'-based on-line commentary?
It's hard to resist peaking at public comments, but they are usually so heavily tilted toward the angry and negative that it's hard to take.
Ultimately, anonymous message boards say a lot more about the writer than about the subject. Look back on the posting history of any of us and you see a pretty clear personality sketch.
Due to my job I've been interviewed a lot of times over the years. Almost invariably the media get it wrong. Magazine articles aren't so bad because you can often request a look at the content before it hits the print, but newspaper, television, radio are awful. They spend considerable effort to edit comments and answers such that they fit the particular agenda the director/editor want them to have. Many, many times what has been presented in the media is a gross misrepresentation of what has been said.

As such, the media hold a pretty low place on my esteem rankings. I don't necessarily blame the reporters, though they often participate. But taking anything, and I do mean anything, in the news media as being completely factual is just so very wrong these days. I don't know if it's always been that way, but it certainly has been the last 20+ years and it seems to be getting worse. Sensationalism sells. So too does "common wisdom" no matter how incorrect it may be.

[/rant]

I hope Jets players don't read here. You'd have to have an awfully high level of self confidence to not have the words written here get you down at times. I don't think anyone on the Jets, at some point this year, outside of maybe Trouba, wouldn't have had days coming off these boards if they were reading thinking that the fans hate them. Some obviously take a lot more heat but even Scheifele, Wheeler and Ladd get their fair share of abuse. Were I a player I'd try very hard to resist going here.

buggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 01:22 PM
Potrzebie

vCash: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbofan View Post
Reading YouTube comments especially will ruin your soul.

HFboards comments never reach the level of YouTube hate of course because of rules and moderator edits. But still, the majority of our talk here isn't about how good a player is, but more about how bad a player is. Actual players would probably do well just to avoid this place entirely.
A little OT but go to youtube and search "Youtube comment reconstruction". Especially the One Direction one. Prepare to laugh.

I wonder how some of the HF conversations would sound if reconstructed by those actors?

Potrzebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 01:24 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs View Post
Due to my job I've been interviewed a lot of times over the years. Almost invariably the media get it wrong. Magazine articles aren't so bad because you can often request a look at the content before it hits the print, but newspaper, television, radio are awful. They spend considerable effort to edit comments and answers such that they fit the particular agenda the director/editor want them to have. Many, many times what has been presented in the media is a gross misrepresentation of what has been said.

As such, the media hold a pretty low place on my esteem rankings. I don't necessarily blame the reporters, though they often participate. But taking anything, and I do mean anything, in the news media as being completely factual is just so very wrong these days. I don't know if it's always been that way, but it certainly has been the last 20+ years and it seems to be getting worse. Sensationalism sells. So too does "common wisdom" no matter how incorrect it may be.

[/rant]

I hope Jets players don't read here. You'd have to have an awfully high level of self confidence to not have the words written here get you down at times. I don't think anyone on the Jets, at some point this year, outside of maybe Trouba, wouldn't have had days coming off these boards if they were reading thinking that the fans hate them. Some obviously take a lot more heat but even Scheifele, Wheeler and Ladd get their fair share of abuse. Were I a player I'd try very hard to resist going here.
Pretty funny. I was talking to one of the VP's in the annoynomous company I work for and someoen mentioend they read a quote from him in the Globe and Mail. Pretty much said the same thing, he's been interviewed countless times and the interviews were very lengthy but they generally just take a sentence or to, to meld into how they want the tone of the article to be

cheswick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 01:30 PM
EKANE9JETS

vCash: 500
I hope Kane and Bogo never has, and i hope no member of the jets roster reads the press either.

EKANE9JETS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 01:45 PM
cutchemist42

I post on another message board (goaliestore.com) where a goalie coach (played only 1 NHL game) named Steve McKichan posts regularly. Last coached in the NHL in 2006, but don't know if he posted during that season.

That same forum had an NHL draftee this year, and his posts plummeted during the last few years so maybe they do get advice from teams to stop posting or maybe he just lost interest.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 02:43 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

I don't know about players, but, I think some reporters use HF as a play to get new story ideas.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 02:49 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
I don't know about players, but, I think some reporters use HF as a play to get new story ideas.
This I can almost say for sure is true. I know Jay and Troy would use some of the topics here as fodder for their morning show, they even admitted as much.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 02:50 PM
larmex99
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 1312
I would bet the Chevy comes here whenever he is a little down. After 15 minutes of side splitting hilarity he would be fine until the next period of depression hit.

larmex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 02:57 PM
buggs

vCash: 128
Quote:
I'd swear I've read most of the topics that hit the papers at least two or three days before they ever appear there. This place kind of made the Sun and Press writers largely irrelevant to me. I don't mean that to be mean to them, they're adding their own take on stuff, but I've just read it before it was ever posted by them it seems.

buggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 02:58 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

vCash: 50
What do you guys mean? I read these forums

garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 03:16 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
A few of the Thrashers used to lurk this forum, so I've been told.
How could anyone possibly know that? Unless this website taces IP addresses down to the street and house nu,Ber, I don't see how anyone could really know whom is lurking the boards.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 03:20 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
How could anyone possibly know that? Unless this website taces IP addresses down to the street and house nu,Ber, I don't see how anyone could really know whom is lurking the boards.
Perhaps they made themselves known to MODS or Admins.
There doesn't need to be a conspiracy theory.

02-25-2014, 03:23 PM
JC Numminen
Welcome to the club!

vCash: 59
Trouba is probably the only player that could read here and be happier when he left than when he came...

JC Numminen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 03:24 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJet View Post
Trouba is probably the only player that could read here and be happier when he left than when he came...
Anthony. Peluso.

Also Schief and Little get a ton of love.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 03:36 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Hence why I said: "So I've been told".

I have no possible way of verifying it, but I've been told that a few of the Thrashers players have lurked the site. No idea how often they checked it out and whether any of them still play for the Jets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
Aw man, you caught me.

My name is James Wright. I read the forum every night with a bottle of wine and cry myself to sleep.
Don't feel bad, James.

Could be much worse, you could be Ondrej Pavelec.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 05:40 PM
TheDeuce

vCash: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Hence why I said: "So I've been told".

I have no possible way of verifying it, but I've been told that a few of the Thrashers players have lurked the site. No idea how often they checked it out and whether any of them still play for the Jets.

Don't feel bad, James.

Could be much worse, you could be Ondrej Pavelec.
Until someone notes that Pavs has the same number of points as Mr. Wright. 2 assists each. Oy.

m.

TheDeuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 05:44 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

Well I have good reason to suspect someone on the Thrashers used to visit here:

During the 10-11 season, I made player avatars for everyone on the board. At some point Evander Kane started using one of the avatars I made for his twitter picture. Unless he was good friends with a HF poster who linked him to it, he had to have seen it while reading the boards. The image never came up on a google search or anything.

There's a couple posts where people were talking about it that I can link to if anyone wants to see.

atl thrasher344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 06:09 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by larmex99 View Post
I would bet the Chevy comes here whenever he is a little down. After 15 minutes of side splitting hilarity he would be fine until the next period of depression hit.
Can you just imagine if GM's went to the trade board. Man they would **** themselves laughing with some of the proposals and counter proposals.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 06:52 PM
Diatidialga

Quote:
I know Bob Mackenzie used to post a few years ago

Diatidialga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 07:00 PM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diatidialga View Post
I think this would be a good resource for sports journos. Just looking to stir the pot a bit? See what's got everybody riled up on HF. I've even seen the odd good idea on here!

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 07:41 PM
tntkid

I can only assume that the players get most of their feedback from the newspapers or tsn tv.
They may even frequent the comments on the TSN website.

I would think that the HF boards would be one of the biggest online NHL forums that a player could lurk unnoticed like a fly on the wall to see what hometown fans are saying whether it be negative or positive.

Byfuglien, Kane & Pavelec should avoid this place at all costs.

tntkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 07:54 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntkid View Post
I can only assume that the players get most of their feedback from the newspapers or tsn tv.
They may even frequent the comments on the TSN website.

I would think that the HF boards would be one of the biggest online NHL forums that a player could lurk unnoticed like a fly on the wall to see what hometown fans are saying whether it be negative or positive.

Byfuglien, Kane & Pavelec should avoid this place at all costs.
God I hope not. I'd hate to think any Jet picks up the morning paper to see what Lawless has to to say, so they can refine their game. My guess is under the vast majority of situations players get their feedback from the coaching staff other players or maybe a few select hockey insiders they respect. Maybe under exceptional circumstances from family members and a few select buddies they grew up playing hockey with. Other then taking in a bit of the glow of fan love, there is really nothing for them to gain listening to fans or the media.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 09:03 PM
wilty00

vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diatidialga View Post
Didn't he call someone an "asshat" and was never heard from again?

Edit: Maybe it was assclown. Either way... hilarious.

wilty00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 09:21 PM
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks

Burmistrov, if you're reading this, please come back to Winnipeg next year.

drumzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 09:36 PM
seasontixholder

vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
Burmistrov, if you're reading this, please come back to Winnipeg next year.
I 2nd that!

seasontixholder is offline   Reply With Quote