HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Bruins may use Malcolm Subban as trade chip

Old
02-25-2014, 02:12 PM
C77

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
AMac for Subban and a 2nd seems fair. Subban is further along and of better pedigree then Nilsson and Poulin at this time.

Isles can add a pick or C prospect if needed

Doesn't seem fair to me!

Subban shouldn't be moved for a rental unless it's a player like a Marian Hossa/Ilya Kovalchuk rental....and Andrew MacDonald doesn't cut it in this regard. Plus adding a 2nd round pick?

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 02:13 PM
ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Subban to Buffalo for Tyler Myers

ORR2Sanderson2ORR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 02:14 PM
Trap Jesus

I'm fine with this. I like the idea of using both Subban and Khokhlachev as trade chips. I'd hope to get something pretty significant for Subban though.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 02:15 PM
C77

For the record Stephen Harris isn't exactly Bob McKenzie.

There is speculation....and then there's speculation.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 02:19 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinthSpoke06 View Post
Peter Chiarelli isn't trading his most recent 1st round for a rental.

Sorry.
Yeah, because the Bruins have never done that before.

I think Boston would trade Subban for a rental. I'm not convinced AMac is value though.

02-25-2014, 02:21 PM
Dr Danglefest
Vindication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfy IceCapd View Post
Seen a couple posts on here stating that. But nope you proved them wrong. Guess that's why Hutchinson fell into our hands then.

I think at this stage, no doubt Svedberg is more appealing to NHL teams.
Yeah, people make things up on here all the time then it catches fire

I don't know if he's more appealing trade wise, but he is further along and is honestly ready to be in the NHL as a backup, and can prove his worth tht way and then show he can be a starter.

This is why the Bruins IMO let Anton K go and signed Chad Johnson to a 1 year deal, they felt Svedberg was probably ready and capable but wanted to make sure last year wasn't a fluke, so they signed a very cheap backup quality tender to bridge the gap

Next year Svedberg will be the backup, Subban the full time starter at the AHL level, and Gothberg can back him up down there. Johnson will get a show me deal elsewhere like Doby did in CAR

Dr Danglefest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 02:22 PM
BBB24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ka RasK View Post
I wouldn't want to let Subban go for a rental.
Maybe if some futures were coming back our way.
You can be certain this will never happen, never. Those saying Subban and a 2nd for AMac are really out to lunch. Chia loves this guy and if he does ever get traded it will be for a major piece going forward.

BBB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 02:23 PM
Eennad142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Danglefest View Post
2013-14 Providence Bruins AHL 35 0 16 2016 91 3 2 2.71 20 11 3 924 0.910

Not sure where on earth you got that Intel from
20-11-3 with a 2.71 and a 9.10 at AHL Providence
1 game played for Boston saved 33 of 35 shots for the Win
Sounds like he's having a great year
Stats make nice first impression. But the eyeball test says Svedberg is playing subpar this year, that is, for a potential future NHL backup; physically, he does not cover a lot of net, and does not have the athleticism of Subban.

Eennad142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 02:23 PM
mich25

I have some friends (played with my ex) who played on Team Canada - 2 of them work out and play pick up summer hockey with Subban - per discussions with them they think Subban is going to be a stud in the NHL. Time of course will tell...but I think Chia only trades Subban in a package for something of significance. Only thing that comes to mind is some type of package for Vanek/Andrew MacDonald. What kind of package would that take though? I think Boston would also need to send salary to the Islanders as well...just thinking here...

mich25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 02:24 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
I dont see anything happening. Goalies hold poor value. I wouldnt draft one in the top 100 if I had a young #1 like Rask. Seems like a waste of a pick, so I doubt the Bs move him, unless its as a throw in for a major player.
If you were the Isles, would you rather take a pick in return or take a goalie who's already developing and probably will be ready within a few years? If I'm snow I take Subban and run. It may not be the best move from the Bruins end but if you believe you're one player away from another cup run, you have to do it.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 02:27 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB24 View Post
You can be certain this will never happen, never. Those saying Subban and a 2nd for AMac are really out to lunch. Chia loves this guy and if he does ever get traded it will be for a major piece going forward.
Because goalies, especially one's who aren't even in the NHL have that much value? maybe if Boston added another piece but the market right now for goalies isn't very high. Certainly not going to get the kind of return you're expecting.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 02:28 PM
NinthSpoke06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Yeah, because the Bruins have never done that before.

I think Boston would trade Subban for a rental. I'm not convinced AMac is value though.
When have the Bruins traded their most recent 1st round pick for a rental?

They traded Joe Colbourne after they figured out he was a bust. Subban has shown nothing but good things in his first pro year.

They traded Phil Kessel for a haul. I'm sure they would trade Subban for that price too.

Anything else I need to know about the Bruins trade history that your already know expert?

NinthSpoke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 02:32 PM
Dr Danglefest
Vindication

Quote:

They traded Joe Colbourne after they figured out he was a bust. Subban has shown nothing but good things in his first pro year.

They traded Phil Kessel for a haul. I'm sure they would trade Subban for that price too.

Anything else I need to know about the Bruins trade history that your already know expert?
All I know is we need to add Caron to that list and we need to do it Yesterday.

He may have also been referring to Seguin, which has provided a pretty good return as well

Dr Danglefest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 02:34 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Colbourne was hardly a "bust" when he was traded. He hadn't set the AHL on fire, but he also hadn't even played 80 games in the pros at the time.

Subban is only slightly less experienced.

You might argue that Subban has more promise, but that doesn't make your original post any truer. The Bruins have shown a willingness to move recent picks when it fills needs.

As I said, I'm not at all convinced that AMac is a reasonable value here, but I also don't agree with you that the Bruins definitely wouldn't move Subban. I think if the deal gave them a solid shot at the cup, they'd do it.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 02:35 PM
BBB24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Because goalies, especially one's who aren't even in the NHL have that much value? maybe if Boston added another piece but the market right now for goalies isn't very high. Certainly not going to get the kind of return you're expecting.
Nowhere did I say he was getting traded now, learn to read. On the contrary he won't be moved until later in his career (2-3 years) if at all. He just turned 20 and has clearly showed his potential, and he most likely will be a above average goalie like most experts are saying. He will remain a Bruin until such time Chia gets an offer he cannot refuse, now if Burke calls and offers Gio for Subban, done deal, but never for a rental at this point and time, never.

BBB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 02:36 PM
NinthSpoke06

Quote:
Colbourne was hardly a "bust" when he was traded. He hadn't set the AHL on fire, but he also hadn't even played 80 games in the pros at the time.

Subban is only slightly less experienced.

You might argue that Subban has more promise, but that doesn't make your original post any truer. The Bruins have shown a willingness to move recent picks when it fills needs.

As I said, I'm not at all convinced that AMac is a reasonable value here, but I also don't agree with you that the Bruins definitely wouldn't move Subban. I think if the deal gave them a solid shot at the cup, they'd do it.
Colbourne was a bust and EVERYONE who saw him play knew it.

I'm not an expert, but ask anyone on the Bruins board.

NinthSpoke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 02:41 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Colbourne was a bust and EVERYONE who saw him play knew it.

I'm not an expert, but ask anyone on the Bruins board.
I don't know how a guy can be a "bust" when he hasn't even played an NHL game yet, and has also yet to complete a full AHL season.

Also, it is Joe Colborne not Colbourne.

Old
02-25-2014, 02:48 PM
tempest2i
You and Whose Army?

Quote:
I don't know how a guy can be a "bust" when he hasn't even played an NHL game yet, and has also yet to complete a full AHL season.

Also, it is Joe Colborne not Colbourne.
FYI Joe Colborne is currently a Calgary Flame and he's played 56 games with the Flames so far this season.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 02:49 PM
bearcountry17

vCash: 873
Subban has put up very impressive numbers on a team missing their top 3 Dmen from last year(Krug,Bartkowski,Miller) that is nothing special defencively. No one thought Subban been this good this early, he's played lights out once he got his feet wet in the AHL. I just don't see Chia moving our only blue chip goalie when we have other assets that hold good value.

Does anyone know any other 20y.o. CHL drafted goalies who have been this good so early in their careers? John Gibson is the only one I can think of.

Malcolm went from carrying his OHL team(highest scorer wasn't even PPG) to beating out the AHL goalie of the year last year in a very short time frame. I just think he's on the right path to becoming a number one and that his value will only go up from here.

bearcountry17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 02:51 PM
Jester9881

AMac, Mikko Koskinen and a 3rd for Subban

Boston gets their #3/4 LH 2 way defenseman, who would likely re-sign there. As well as a replacement Goalie prospect and a high 3rd round pick (62-64 overall)

I think that's more than fair

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 02:56 PM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
FYI Joe Colborne is currently a Calgary Flame and he's played 56 games with the Flames so far this season.
He's decent as a 4th liner, but considering he was a 1st round pick I wouldn't really call that success.

Given Calgary's depth at centre I'm not sure he'll be around next year.

He is great in the shootout though.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 02:58 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
I was talking about his experience level at the time of the trade.

NOW, I probably would consider him a "bust". Back then, not so much. I know that he was not held in high esteem by the Bruins organization when he was traded, but he was coming off a PPG year in the NCAA and still held some promise.

Old
02-25-2014, 03:01 PM
Eennad142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
AMac, Mikko Koskinen and a 3rd for Subban
Boston gets their #3/4 LH 2 way defenseman, who would likely re-sign there. As well as a replacement Goalie prospect and a high 3rd round pick (62-64 overall)
I think that's more than fair
Boston gets AMac rental, goalie Mickey Koskinen from the wilds of the KHL, and 3rd. NYI gets elite goalie prospect Subban in return. I believe that's less than fair.

Eennad142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 03:03 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eennad142 View Post
Boston gets AMac rental, goalie Mickey Koskinen from the KHL, and 3rd. NYI gets elite goalie prospect Subban in return. I believe that's less than fair.
I'm not even 100% convinced the Isles still own Koskinen's rights.

Old
02-25-2014, 03:04 PM
Alfredo Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyBruinPride View Post
It may make us better now but you have to consider the impact on the future too. I think we can land AMac without giving up Subban, and if that's an option then it should be explored. You say you always take the trade that makes you better and gives you a chance at the Cup, but I don't think this is true. Any overpayment of prospects (not that I'm saying that's what the proposed deal is, because I think value is fairly close) is almost certain to make your team better right now, but that doesn't mean it is wise. You have to look at what's the least it would take to get the guy you want, balancing the present and future.
Couple of things. First and foremost, my 35+ years as a Canucks fan may sway my opinion. You see, if the Canucks traded (just an example) Jensen, Horvat, Shinkaruk AND a 1st to the Isles for Vanek and AMac, it'd be a consensus that the Isles won the deal, correct? Here's the thing, as a long suffering Canucks fan, IF the Canucks went on to win the Stanley Cup this spring (obviously hypothetical ) and Horvat became the next Toews and Shinkaruk the next Kane, i'd be fine with that! Just lemme experience the cup!

Second, i wasn't saying Subban for AMac is the right deal, but i think that a team like Boston, with a goalie as good and as young as Rask, should move a guy like Subban if it brings back a piece they feel puts them over the top in their quest for another cup!

Alfredo Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote