HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Edmonton Scotch Thread

Old
08-20-2013, 11:43 AM
Crabapple

vCash: 500
Edmonton Scotch Thread

Hey there HfOil, I recently started getting into Scotch, and was interested in hearing from others around the city. What's your favorite Dram? Single malt or blend? Where's a good place in the city to get Scotch, be it bar or liquor store?

I just bought a Dalwhinnie 15 yesterday

For a rookie scotch drinker I think its great. On the lighter side, I tasted apples and honey, with a surprisingly spicy finish.

Would love to hear from everybody, as I'm finding learning about Scotch to be fascinating.

Crabapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 11:46 AM
MoneyGuy

I don't know much about Scotch - just that I do like it. All kinds. I love it more because so many people think it's disgusting. If I have trouble sleeping, a small glass before bed works like a charm.

MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 12:08 PM
Crabapple

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I don't know much about Scotch - just that I do like it. All kinds. I love it more because so many people think it's disgusting. If I have trouble sleeping, a small glass before bed works like a charm.
Agreed! I think people think it's disgusting because once they get that initial kick, they'll swallow it and that's all they taste. If they keep it in their mouth, then the different flavors and aromas will kick in. I tried scotch many times and thought "hey this isn't for me", until I had the patience (and fortitude) to actually taste it.

Old
08-20-2013, 12:14 PM
Valhallis

I loves me some scotch. Peatier the better. Here in the city you should definitely check out The Bothy (they have a couple of locations at least). Good scotch selection and they're pretty knowlegeable.

For stores, I haven't been but I heard the Chateau Louis liquor store is one of the best places to get scotch in the city.

Valhallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 12:27 PM
timekeep

Wine and Beyond has the greatess selection that I have seen in Canada.

Single Malt for me but have enjoyed some Blended.

Add a touch of cold water, no ice. My buddy rinses his glasses with ice cold water then pours the scotch in, not bad either. But I like to add a bit of ice water before each sip.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 01:11 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 02:07 PM
Lacaar

I'm a social scotch drinker. If you have a drink... so shall I.

But you have to order it for me because I'm clueless. They make Scotch other than Glen Fiddich? Yup that clueless.

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 02:43 PM
aki

I am a big fan and connoisseur of Scotch. Single malt with a bit of ice. I prefer a less peaty variety but would recommend the Lagavulin 16 if you like the peat.

The Dalwhinnie 15 is good, but IMO the best bang for your buck in terms of a quality single malt is the Macallan 12. You can get it for $65 or less at some stores. The Macallan 18 is better but a lot more expensive. The Oban 14 is in between, but also pretty expensive at $90-$100.

aki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 02:52 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

I prefer Islays because I like their unique peat. Lagavulin 16 is my favourite non Distiller Edition scotch. Ardbeg, Bowmore, Laphroaig, and Bruichladdich all have good stuff as well. Ileach is fine if you don't have lots of money to spend and still want an Islay

For non Islays, if it's 15yo+ it's probably pretty good. Glenfiddich 18, Talisker 18 and Macallan 18 are pretty solid for the easy to find stuff that most will enjoy.

For good cheap(ish) stuff I usually pick up Highland Park 12. The older stuff is better but for 50ish bucks that is a good scotch.

Jmo.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 03:00 PM
Crabapple

Quote:
Originally Posted by aki View Post
I am a big fan and connoisseur of Scotch. Single malt with a bit of ice. I prefer a less peaty variety but would recommend the Lagavulin 16 if you like the peat.

The Dalwhinnie 15 is good, but IMO the best bang for your buck in terms of a quality single malt is the Macallan 12. You can get it for $65 or less at some stores. The Macallan 18 is better but a lot more expensive. The Oban 14 is in between, but also pretty expensive at $90-$100.
I want to try a Macallan next (between that and a Glenmorangie 12). Next pay day I may end up going and picking up 2-3 different bottles.

Old
08-20-2013, 03:03 PM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 03:05 PM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
I love scotch. I'm a huge fan of the really smoky, lying-face-down-in-a-peat-bog Islays.

Pretty much exactly what s7ark said.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 03:41 PM
Alex87

Three Boars on 109th just north of Whyte is a good place for a glass.

Cask and Barrel downtown is pretty good as well. Only been there twice but my early impressions have been good.

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 04:03 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
The most I have tried so far is blended(which was fine and pretty similar to a rye).

Scotch does interest me a bit though.

Cheapest is probably RCL(in terms of stores), not sure about selection though.

Last edited by AlowlyOilersfan: 08-20-2013 at 04:11 PM.
AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 04:47 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

I bet my friend a fine bottle of Scotch the Oilers would finish ahead of the Nucks this year. If I win, that scotch will taste might fine

okgooil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 05:34 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

What's a good intro scotch for someone who is new to the drink?

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 05:50 PM
HumbleOilFan

Lagavulin 16 is by far my favorite scotch and I always keep a couple bottles in the cabinet.

Been drinking scotch for 12 years since my 18th birthday (decided to acquire the taste of scotch to be different...it stuck).

I love all manor of scotch but definately gravitate to the peaty and smokey varieties. Ardbeg is great at this as well (especially the "alligator cask").

My biggest tip for a new scotch experimentor is to make sure not to get too fussed with age. They say a good scotch distiller knows when the scotch is "done", whether that be 10 years, 18 years, 21 years so it isn't (always) an indicator of what is a good scotch vs. a bad scotch. Of course they aren't stupid to the marketing either (being that the bulk of less scotch educated buy scotch based on the age on the bottle). I have an ardbeg that was aged 6 years that is much better than some of the 18yo I've tried.

If you are very price conscious then IMO the best $40 bottle of scotch on the market is Aberlour 10yo. Way better than anything else at that price point.

Last three tips:

1. Glenfiddich 12 sucks, never buy. 15 and up is drinkable.
2. Non-chill-filtered varieties are fantastic. Usually higher alc content (~60%) but is great for those that want to add ice/ice water without losing the flavour of the scotch. In this case they are intended for a bit of ice/ice water to release the flavours. (Aberlour Abunadh is a fantastic version of these).
3. If you are just acquiring the taste and find the peaty varieties to be a bit too much, then try sweeter scotches...glenmorangie makes a variety that are finished in sherry and port casks which adds a great flavour/sweetness.

HumbleOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 07:30 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Big fan of that Dalwhinnie 15. My favorite as someone fairly new to scotch is Bruichladdich 12 year single malt second edition. Also scotch prices vary an incredible amount around the city. If you shop around, you can sometimes see a swing of 30+ bucks for the exact same stuff.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 08:26 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
What's a good intro scotch for someone who is new to the drink?
If you like smokey, peaty flavour then Lagavulin 16 is the way to go. Usually around $75-80 at RCL. If you like a smoother drink then Macallan 12 is probably a good starting point. Macallan 18 is a fantastic smooth single malt, but it will cost you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleOilFan View Post
My biggest tip for a new scotch experimentor is to make sure not to get too fussed with age. They say a good scotch distiller knows when the scotch is "done", whether that be 10 years, 18 years, 21 years so it isn't (always) an indicator of what is a good scotch vs. a bad scotch. Of course they aren't stupid to the marketing either (being that the bulk of less scotch educated buy scotch based on the age on the bottle). I have an ardbeg that was aged 6 years that is much better than some of the 18yo I've tried.
While this is true, as a general rule of thumb, older = better(and also more expensive). Yes there are exceptions, but unless you know what you like, 15yo+ is better than under 15 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleOilFan View Post
3. If you are just acquiring the taste and find the peaty varieties to be a bit too much, then try sweeter scotches...glenmorangie makes a variety that are finished in sherry and port casks which adds a great flavour/sweetness.
Be careful with this though. If you don't like the flavour of sherry or port you won't like scotches aged in those casks.

Lots of good info here, for people interested in learning about scotch.

http://***********/r/scotch

Last edited by s7ark: 08-20-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old
08-20-2013, 08:52 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Not for the faint of heart.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 08:54 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

I think giving hard booze to this board is a bad idea

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 08:55 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Years ago when I was young...(that sounds melodic) I had the fortune of stumbling upon a nice Distillery up in the beautiful Scottish Highlands. I could've got lost there for months and wouldn't have complained. Better still that they would give out free samples which combined quite well with the atmosphere. So I kinda got the taste for it then. I already had a taste for good Cognac which I sometimes prefer.

I like the whole range of peaty vs not very peaty scotch but one thing I definitely stay away from is sweeter Scotch. I love it dry with no hint of sugar. This being perhaps an ode to my love of Cognac. To me the sweeter it is the more it takes away from subtleties of flavor.

I'll add one thing as well. If you're going to spend 80bucks on a bottle of Scotch then don't commit the sacrilege of adding ANY putrid water to the liquid gold. To me that just taints the taste, dilutes it, alters it, and adds tastes of impurities especially if one used tap water. So ditto for ice as well. No ice.

Just straight up, neat, take your time with it, really appreciate the subtleties. Breathe it, sip it, keep it in your mouth a longtime. Try to avoid having just eaten really spicy food or anything with any taste that interferes. For me Scotch is the late night dram. Good on its own. Doesn't need or want anything else.

Some people might like to attend something like this as well. A good introduction, they had these tasters at least once per year afairc:

http://www.edmontonwhiskyfestival.com/

Also one of my favorite stores just because of how knowledgeable the staff are who are all fully trained and take instruction.

http://vineswinemerchants.com/events/

As cited also a listing of events that they have. This place really sets up or sponsors a lot of events.

Last edited by Replacement: 08-20-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 09:08 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
I think giving hard booze to this board is a bad idea
Perceptive.

Just wait'll you get a load of the GDT's lol.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 09:31 PM
40oz

My favorite single malt is Nikka Yoichi. To be honest all of the Nikka products I've had are great, but Yoichi is incredible.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 09:37 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
My favorite single malt is Nikka Yoichi. To be honest all of the Nikka products I've had are great, but Yoichi is incredible.
Thx for the tip, I have never tried Japanese whiskey. Perhaps I should some time. How big is the difference between the 10, 15 and 20yo?

Technically not a scotch though since it isn't from Scotland.