HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Minor Hockey in Canada (Sportsnet special)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-25-2014, 03:20 PM
  #1
End on a Hinote
Registered Abuser
 
End on a Hinote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,424
vCash: 500
Minor Hockey in Canada (Sportsnet special)



Ironically, around the time Canada defended it's gold in Olympic hockey, Sportsnet had aired a special concerning the "problems" with minor hockey in Canada and how it is affecting participation.

Now, they were talking about these so-called problem as far back as the late 90's and while I do believe that there is some tweaking that can be done to improve the sport and its interest in Canada, how much of what they mention in the above video is actually a problem?

From what I got out of the panel at the end of the video, they seemed more concerned about other countries getting into the sport and over taking Canada as hockey powers. I thought growing the sport was a good thing? At leas that's what I got out of it...

Is the fact that Canadian kids are starting to prefer other sports, and that Canada is becoming more of a multi-sport nation a problem? Is the fact that hockey is expensive to play really a problem since that applies to every country, anyway? Is the fact that hockey interest in increasing around the globe a problem?

I've only watched part of the special and personally, I don't really see a noticeable issue with minor hockey in Canada, at least not noticeable enough to warrant an entire special on it.

End on a Hinote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 03:29 PM
  #2
Tinalera
Registered User
 
Tinalera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Known Universe
Posts: 6,244
vCash: 500
TSN did a piece on this a year or two ago if I remember-banging the drums about minor hockey in Canada enlistment levels slowing down, with Bob McKenzie in one of his blogs stating "there has to be something done to get more kids playing hockey".

My view of it now is, what's the big deal? If kids are choosing to play soccer, baseball, basketball, football instead of hockey-if they're getting OUT and getting ACTIVE, does it really matter what sport they play? Yes I understand the whole "Canada's identity" theme and whatnot, but I thought we as a country were kind of past that sort of thinking. I mean, if we're talking about Canadian sports, where are the stories about curling and getting kids out for that? Or Lacrosse? Shouldn't the focus be getting them out from their xboxes and tablets and going out and playing, regardless of sport they choose?

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 03:35 PM
  #3
End on a Hinote
Registered Abuser
 
End on a Hinote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
TSN did a piece on this a year or two ago if I remember-banging the drums about minor hockey in Canada enlistment levels slowing down, with Bob McKenzie in one of his blogs stating "there has to be something done to get more kids playing hockey".

My view of it now is, what's the big deal? If kids are choosing to play soccer, baseball, basketball, football instead of hockey-if they're getting OUT and getting ACTIVE, does it really matter what sport they play? Yes I understand the whole "Canada's identity" theme and whatnot, but I thought we as a country were kind of past that sort of thinking. I mean, if we're talking about Canadian sports, where are the stories about curling and getting kids out for that? Or Lacrosse? Shouldn't the focus be getting them out from their xboxes and tablets and going out and playing, regardless of sport they choose?
Very true. Part of me thinks that the Canadian media is so gung-ho about hockey being "Canada's thing" that the thought of kids plays a sport other than that is being a negative. And honestly, Canada is always going to be a strong hockey nation. We may not always be the "best" at it, but we will always be able to compete at a high level.

End on a Hinote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 03:42 PM
  #4
Tinalera
Registered User
 
Tinalera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Known Universe
Posts: 6,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
TSN did a piece on this a year or two ago if I remember-banging the drums about minor hockey in Canada enlistment levels slowing down, with Bob McKenzie in one of his blogs stating "there has to be something done to get more kids playing hockey".

My view of it now is, what's the big deal? If kids are choosing to play soccer, baseball, basketball, football instead of hockey-if they're getting OUT and getting ACTIVE, does it really matter what sport they play? Yes I understand the whole "Canada's identity" theme and whatnot, but I thought we as a country were kind of past that sort of thinking. I mean, if we're talking about Canadian sports, where are the stories about curling and getting kids out for that? Or Lacrosse? Shouldn't the focus be getting them out from their xboxes and tablets and going out and playing, regardless of sport they choose?
Quote:
Is the fact that hockey interest in increasing around the globe a problem?
Thanks for touching on a question which I've wondered from time to time.

There's always the discussion made that it's important to grow the sport, it's important to "share our game", to get others interested. Yet we get into these huge debates here about NHL cities "that shouldn't have NHL teams", and during the Olympics its all about how hockey is "our game", and how important it is that WE are the dominant country in hockey, and seeming to put down the efforts of other countries who play.

I get baffled by the seeming contradiction in the arguments? Do we want to grow the game or keep it to ourselves?

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 10:42 PM
  #5
tony d
Summer Camp
 
tony d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind A Tree
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,583
vCash: 500
Hockey's an expensive sport. I can see a lot of middle class parents not enrolling their kids in it. I know in my own family my 4 year old nephew is in soccer and swimming, don't know if my sister will put him in hockey or not.

__________________
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 12:06 AM
  #6
Inkling
"Let's win it all"
 
Inkling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,281
vCash: 500
I'll get worried about hockey when we stop getting 6 am games and practices.

Inkling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 01:51 AM
  #7
Finnish your Czech
BestPosterAvailable
 
Finnish your Czech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Finland
Posts: 46,603
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by End on a Hinote View Post
Very true. Part of me thinks that the Canadian media is so gung-ho about hockey being "Canada's thing" that the thought of kids plays a sport other than that is being a negative. And honestly, Canada is always going to be a strong hockey nation. We may not always be the "best" at it, but we will always be able to compete at a high level.
I don't think it's about the media making hockey to be "Canada's thing". It's just that hockey is the sport preferred by the majority of Canadians, so if the sport has dropping enrollment problem (I don't know if that's true or not), then it's an important issue for a majority of Canadians, as they'd obviously like to see more people participate in hockey.

Finnish your Czech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 05:35 AM
  #8
Tinalera
Registered User
 
Tinalera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Known Universe
Posts: 6,244
vCash: 500
Nope, changed my mind-wrote up a large post, but I've said my piece in the past-not buying the ticket again for this ride


Last edited by Tinalera: 02-26-2014 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Just not going there again.
Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 07:52 AM
  #9
Stats01
Registered User
 
Stats01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,687
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by End on a Hinote View Post


Ironically, around the time Canada defended it's gold in Olympic hockey, Sportsnet had aired a special concerning the "problems" with minor hockey in Canada and how it is affecting participation.

Now, they were talking about these so-called problem as far back as the late 90's and while I do believe that there is some tweaking that can be done to improve the sport and its interest in Canada, how much of what they mention in the above video is actually a problem?

From what I got out of the panel at the end of the video, they seemed more concerned about other countries getting into the sport and over taking Canada as hockey powers. I thought growing the sport was a good thing? At leas that's what I got out of it...

Is the fact that Canadian kids are starting to prefer other sports, and that Canada is becoming more of a multi-sport nation a problem? Is the fact that hockey is expensive to play really a problem since that applies to every country, anyway? Is the fact that hockey interest in increasing around the globe a problem?

I've only watched part of the special and personally, I don't really see a noticeable issue with minor hockey in Canada, at least not noticeable enough to warrant an entire special on it.
One of the issues I think is that a lot of people probably look at the concern of other countries getting better and over taking Canada as a hockey super-power, then what becomes of the identity of Canadians? We all like to pound our chest and say "This is our game" and hockey is Canada, well if we're not the super power of hockey then how can we say "this is our game" and hockey is Canada" No longer would we be the #1 hockey nation. And IMO I think people would think that would take a bit of our Canadiana away from us, like a piece of us is no longer living. Maybe I'm digging too deep but I'm just throwing that out there. We live in this big bubble where one sport dominates everything, while in the States they are good at many sports. I think it's a good thing that Canada starts participating more and getting better at other sports. When I think of all this the first word that comes to mind is "growth" We are growing out of this 1 sport, 1 mentality we have had for decades and decades and decades, and now our cultural diversities are allowing us to participate in other sports.

Look at basketball, by the time the 2016 summer games come around, Canada is favoured to win a medal. We're about to have another #1 overall pick be drafted into the NBA, it's a golden era in Canadian basketball. This is all a good thing.

Our soccer participation is extremely high, we just need the right programs in place to help develop these kids and make our national team special, because I know it can be. It's the fastest growing sport in the country. There's no reason to just stick to dominating one sport. We can do it all.

This is not a problem at all, but on the contrary a good thing. Hockey is going nowhere in this country and our mindset has to accept the fact that we can and we will get better at other sports. It's going to happen.

As a sporting nation it's about time we grew up.


Last edited by Stats01: 02-26-2014 at 08:03 AM.
Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 08:09 AM
  #10
Tinalera
Registered User
 
Tinalera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Known Universe
Posts: 6,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
One of the issues I think is that a lot of people probably look at the concern of other countries getting better and over taking Canada as a hockey super-power, then what becomes of the identity of Canadians? We all like to pound our chest and say "This is our game" and hockey is Canada, well if we're not the super power of hockey then how can we say "this is our game" and hockey is Canada" No longer would we be the #1 hockey nation. And IMO I think people would think that would take a bit of our Canadiana away from us, like a piece of us is no longer living. Maybe I'm digging too deep but I'm just throwing that out there. We live in this big bubble where one sport dominates everything, while in the States they are good at many sports. I think it's a good thing that Canada starts participating more and getting better at other sports. When I think of all this the first word that comes to mind is "growth" We are growing out of this 1 sport, 1 mentality we have had for decades and decades and decades, and now our cultural diversities are allowing us to participate in other sports.

Look at basketball, by the time the 2016 summer games come around, Canada is favoured to win a medal. We're about to have another #1 overall pick be drafted into the NBA, it's a golden era in Canadian basketball. This is all a good thing.

Our soccer participation is extremely high, we just need the right programs in place to help develop these kids and make our national team special, because I know it can be. It's the fastest growing sport in the country. There's no reason to just stick to dominating one sport. We can do it all.

This is not a problem at all, but on the contrary a good thing. Hockey is going nowhere in this country and our mindset has to accept the fact that we can and we will get better at other sports. It's going to happen.

As a sporting nation it's about time we grew up.
I will just simply say you took the words right out of my mouth. Thank you I do believe it also it is time for us to move on to show what else we can do

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 08:16 AM
  #11
Stats01
Registered User
 
Stats01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,687
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
I will just simply say you took the words right out of my mouth. Thank you I do believe it also it is time for us to move on to show what else we can do
Thank you . We need to embrace the growth we are showing in other sports and not shun it. Hockey will always be our passion, but it doesn't mean we can't focus on getting better at other sports. That video showed that as a country we are very immature and scared of new opportunities in sports still. We have the growth but the question is "Are we ready to show the world we can play and compete at an elite level in other sports other than hockey.?" The potential is there, but we're not ready yet obviously. Basketball IMO is going to be the first of the "other sports" to put Canada on the map as a sporting world power. Soccer has the numbers but we need the leadership at the top to make it happen, I don't think we have it right now.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 08:24 AM
  #12
premadonna
Registered User
 
premadonna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,221
vCash: 500
Every hockey nation on Earth is struggling with these same issues.

premadonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 10:58 AM
  #13
DyerMaker66
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 6,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
TSN did a piece on this a year or two ago if I remember-banging the drums about minor hockey in Canada enlistment levels slowing down, with Bob McKenzie in one of his blogs stating "there has to be something done to get more kids playing hockey".

My view of it now is, what's the big deal?
If kids are choosing to play soccer, baseball, basketball, football instead of hockey-if they're getting OUT and getting ACTIVE, does it really matter what sport they play? Yes I understand the whole "Canada's identity" theme and whatnot, but I thought we as a country were kind of past that sort of thinking. I mean, if we're talking about Canadian sports, where are the stories about curling and getting kids out for that? Or Lacrosse? Shouldn't the focus be getting them out from their xboxes and tablets and going out and playing, regardless of sport they choose?
I think hockey pricing itself out of many peoples' reach is very troublesome: It's going to stop the growth of the sport that caused the game to be more entertaining and maybe even reverse it. I don't think other sports are nearly as exclusive as hockey is becoming.

Sports that want to grow shouldn't be pricing themselves out of the common man's pocketbook.

Curling sucks.

DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 11:53 AM
  #14
bigplay41*
BIG MEECH
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,596
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to bigplay41*
Canada is getting better as a Basketball and Baseball nation by leaps and bounds....the amount of Canadians in the NBA and MLB is probably up 400% from where it was in the 90s

bigplay41* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 01:11 PM
  #15
Daneurism
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 536
vCash: 500
Basketball, for sure.

Baseball, although experiencing a golden age of impact canadian players in the majors, hasn't produced big draft talent in 5+ years.

I'm surprised that Canadians haven't had a bigger impact on golf. Although Deleat has been impressive, there doesn't seem to a be a whole lot of in the pipeline. Which is surprising considering that it's probably the second most popular recreational sport after hockey.

Daneurism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 01:14 PM
  #16
Daneurism
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
I think hockey pricing itself out of many peoples' reach is very troublesome: It's going to stop the growth of the sport that caused the game to be more entertaining and maybe even reverse it. I don't think other sports are nearly as exclusive as hockey is becoming.

Sports that want to grow shouldn't be pricing themselves out of the common man's pocketbook.

Curling sucks.
It blows my mind that high end skates cost up to 600 dollars these days.

Daneurism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 01:20 PM
  #17
Uncle Rotter
Registered User
 
Uncle Rotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kelowna, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,375
vCash: 500
Seeing the hockey glass as half-empty has been a cottage industry for decades. Whither Canada?

Uncle Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 09:01 PM
  #18
saffronleaf
Registered User
 
saffronleaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country:
Posts: 3,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post

Curling sucks.
Curling is great.

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.