HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Losing confidence in MacT

Old
02-28-2014, 02:16 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

vCash: 360
The potential is limitless for the suck dynasty

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 02:44 PM
Connell McWilson
Oilers & Seahawks

vCash: 500
I'm not sold on Mac-T either.

He was hired based on the old boys network. A mediocre coach who was fired in 2009 only to be brought back as a GM.

Why couldn't we hire Burke? Because of Lowe? I'm sure Burke would've demanded full autonomy of the hockey club, something Lowe isn't willing to have. Lowe cannot keep his dirty fingers off this team.

Connell McWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 03:33 PM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
The potential is limitless for the suck dynasty
I just realized the truth in MacT's statement. Drafting top 5 every year for eternity = limitless potential. I finally get it! so proud.

oobga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 09:54 PM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
When you consider and compare Tambo, you know what? I like MacT. He's not afraid to say what's up, and he knows his limits in value, but still understands that changes need to happen. Acknowledges size issues, and defensive woes. I don't get the hate actually.

Patch101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 10:22 PM
Tarus
FireChia#

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch101 View Post
When you consider and compare Tambo, you know what? I like MacT. He's not afraid to say what's up, and he knows his limits in value, but still understands that changes need to happen. Acknowledges size issues, and defensive woes. I don't get the hate actually.
Almost anyone would have been better than Tambo, it isn't a compliment; especially not when the new guy goes on to be nearly as bad.

Not sure where the "he's not afraid to say what's up and knows the limits in value" stuff comes from, he sure didn't know either of those things when he was boasting about how he was going to transform the team at the draft. Nor does he display much analytical ability when gushing praise about how much Eakins is improving the team either.

His assessment of the team needing size, toughness, and defensive acumen doesn't even separate him from Tambo either, Tambo spent 3 years saying the exact same thing. So far their contributions to fixing that problem are nearly identical, a bunch of 4th liners and bottom pairing defensemen who have nothing more than a minimal impact on the game.

He spent 9 years fumbling around as head coach, was a major contributor to the crash of the franchise between 2007 - 9, and got hired based on who he knows rather than any real credentials of someone who has experience in an executive/team building role.

I'm surprised there isn't more hate.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 10:32 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
Quote:

well, he has been better than Tambo. But, if he thinks 1. he can build a winner AND retain Hall, RNH, Yak, Ebs, J. Schultz, Nurse, Klefbom, top 3 picks he is delusional. 2. That this core is destined for greatness and shall never be tinkered with, he is delusional. 3. that this fan base can wait 4 more years to draft and develop all the players they need, he is crazy.

didn't watch last night's game. glad i didn't.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 02:03 AM
sportsdynasty

The one move that affects the team the most is the coach. We had a great coach in Ralph Krueger. The team was showing real progress. Dominant on the power play. On the penalty kill. Yak scored the most goals. Then MacT fires Krueger over Skype. And hires the worst coach in Oilers history, Dallas Eakins. Why hasn't he fired Eakins yet? MacT's big plan is to go for Connor McDavid. If Eakins is coaching next year, we have the best chance of any NHL team at McDavid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
truthfully, as bad of a season that the Oilers have had, I have good confidence in MacT and have liked most of his moves since becoming GM.

sportsdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 02:06 AM
Tarus
FireChia#

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Trades View Post
The one move that affects the team the most is the coach. We had a great coach in Ralph Krueger. The team was showing real progress. Dominant on the power play. On the penalty kill. Yak scored the most goals. Then MacT fires Krueger over Skype. And hires the worst coach in Oilers history, Dallas Eakins. Why hasn't he fired Eakins yet? MacT's big plan is to go for Connor McDavid. If Eakins is coaching next year, we have the best chance of any NHL team at McDavid.
McDavid can replace Hall when Hall demands a trade out, should even be an upgrade 3 or 4 years from now.

Should be fun.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 02:24 AM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
He came in over-optimistic about the team, and reality bit him in the ass yes. He hasn't over-payed for players, also good. If we had moved Martin Marinčin and Nurse for Cory Sch would that have been a good move or a bad move? He brought in Ilya for nothing, and Ben for cheap who could be a decent option for us. Certainly better than Dubnyk who he identified early as a player who wasn't going to be able to be a #1.

He's made a couple bad moves, Labarbra obviously, and smid is questionable, but made good moves with Perron, Horcoff, Gordon, Hendricks, etc He took a chance on Grebs and Belov, nothing lost. Belov looks to be a functional asset. Far better than additions than an old russian goalie and Belanger, eager and company under Mr. Tambo.

I would say removing Ralph and adding Dallas was a mistake, but I also understand was MacT was moving towards with Dallas. That move should of waited at least another year. Ralph was never going to make these guys play better, he was able to get the most of them though. That said, I think the mistake was getting someone who inexperienced along with assistants who are also inexperienced at any level of winning.

Tambo may have talked about those things, but he never made the correct moves to improve the team either. Instead giving little information and telling us to "be patient", "younger players" etc.

Listen, I'm no fan of the old boys club, but give the guy a fighting chance to turn the team around. He's certainly putting in more effort than anyone in the league. It sounds like I'm defending him, but what I'm saying here lets give the guy a couple seasons here before we really start to analysis him as a GM.

Patch101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 10:07 AM
Mr Positive
just fix it, Chia

vCash: 1367
Imo the only possible reason to hate MacT is over Eakins. He still wants him coaching, probably for at least another season.

Im not sold on Eakins but I think he could suddenly clicking and living up to MacT's expectations. Stranger things happen in this league. It seems common even

Mr Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 12:05 PM
redgrant

I hope he watched what Armstrong did if he wants a textbook definition of a "bold move".

redgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 12:49 PM
Oi'll say!
Read this now!

Quote:
. I don't get the hate actually.
MacT has a habit of running his mouth about players who are on the block or have just been traded. It's idiotic to publicly question your own players' ability etc and then see what other teams are willing to pay for them, and it is a habit of his going back since he started coaching.

This year he publicly questioned DD as a starter b4 the kid played a game this season. Then the kid had to try and put that to the back of his mind and play his first games as a starter behind a bunch of hapless kids meekly attempting to play Eakins' new system. DD did very well last year and if MacT was going to trade him he should have been "pumping his tires" and gearing up for a good season instead of deflating them.

He questioned Gagner as a center b4 the season started which wasn't great for his trade value, and then he started pimping the guy in trade when he was playing with a cage and having his worst season as a pro under MacT's own questionable coaching choice.

These are big enough issues to have MacT canned imo, but the Krueger/Eakins fiasco is well beyond that. Eakins was a very poor choice, there's no evidence to the contrary and plenty of data in to support that conclusion. But instead of doing the obvious thing and admitting he made a mistake by hiring him MacT is willing to let this team sink further into the abyss and hurt the trade value of all his players, and at the same time keep on trading them away in hopes of eventually propping up his poor coaching choice. It's a vicious circle and it's getting uglier and uglier by the day.

If you doubt that, think how much trade value Gagner, DD, Yakupov, etc would have going on the blocks after a season under Krueger compared to this season...

If the MacT and Eakins hirings were done with Connor McDavid in mind I still don't like it. A lot of players are de-developing here in the meantime, and then getting traded with their value at the lowest point ever.

To answer the question, why the hate for MacT?

For me personally it's not because of how bad he is at his job, it's because of how big a factor his huge ego is in ramping up the damage to the franchise. If he could keep his mouth shut, or admit to his own mistakes, that be a huge mitigating factor but it's the opposite. At every turn he's shifting the blame and putting other people in the negative spotlight.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 02:00 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 50
Quote:
He came in over-optimistic about the team, and reality bit him in the ass yes. He hasn't over-payed for players, also good. If we had moved Martin Marinčin and Nurse for Cory Sch would that have been a good move or a bad move? He brought in Ilya for nothing, and Ben for cheap who could be a decent option for us. Certainly better than Dubnyk who he identified early as a player who wasn't going to be able to be a #1.

He's made a couple bad moves, Labarbra obviously, and smid is questionable, but made good moves with Perron, Horcoff, Gordon, Hendricks, etc He took a chance on Grebs and Belov, nothing lost. Belov looks to be a functional asset. Far better than additions than an old russian goalie and Belanger, eager and company under Mr. Tambo.

I would say removing Ralph and adding Dallas was a mistake, but I also understand was MacT was moving towards with Dallas. That move should of waited at least another year. Ralph was never going to make these guys play better, he was able to get the most of them though. That said, I think the mistake was getting someone who inexperienced along with assistants who are also inexperienced at any level of winning.

Tambo may have talked about those things, but he never made the correct moves to improve the team either. Instead giving little information and telling us to "be patient", "younger players" etc.

Listen, I'm no fan of the old boys club, but give the guy a fighting chance to turn the team around. He's certainly putting in more effort than anyone in the league. It sounds like I'm defending him, but what I'm saying here lets give the guy a couple seasons here before we really start to analysis him as a GM.
The team needed a 2C who played bigger and much more physically than Gagner does. It was pretty obvious by the end of last season that the 1-2 combo of Nuge and Gagner wasn't going to work with the type of wingers we have. Not only did Mactavish not trade him when his value was higher but he signed him to a 3 year deal above market value and gave him a limited NTC. This was certainly an over payment and by the looks of it may turn into another mismanagement of an asset. This one can't be blamed on Tambellini.

Ference was overpaid and given a NTC as well.

At least he traded for Perron though right? Of course his idiot coach, who he completely endorses has been playing him down on the third line where all his offense has completely dried up.

We aren't seeing the beginnings of the turn around for this franchise. What we're seeing is the early stages of yet another ongoing disaster.

rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 03:28 PM
Homesick

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
The team needed a 2C who played bigger and much more physically than Gagner does.
I can't think of a single 2C that plays a physical game that has been available this year

Quote:
Ference was overpaid and given a NTC as well.
The fact is that its the only way to get UFA's in Edmonton. If you were looking at a job would you take going rate in a nice place or a cold place where people are ******** on you all the time? you might take the latter if they overpay you

Quote:
At least he traded for Perron though right? Of course his idiot coach, who he completely endorses has been playing him down on the third line where all his offense has completely dried up.
I agree with you here, but recently I think its to show case Gagner/Hemsky. I can almost guarantee he never sees the 3rd line again after the deadline.

I'm not feeling very optimistic about the direction the Oilers are heading right now either. Maybe I was expecting to much this year with a new coach/GM. I'll know by the middle of July if I'm going to focus more on WHL games next year. If MacTavish flips Gagner without taking salary back they will have 38.5 million in available cap space. Agents/UFA's are also aware of this I'm sure.

Throwing **** at the wall here

Jordan Eberle + 2015 2nd for a Roman Josi.

8m/7yr for Paul Stastny.
6m/7yr for Matt Niskanen
5m/2yr for Jarome Iginla (I know I know doesnt he have a house in St. Albert?)
2.8m//3yr for David Moss
1.8m/3yr for Tanner Glass
23.6 million leaving more than enough to re-sign Petry, J.Schultz, Gazdic and a goalie tandem.
Goaltending? re-sign Scrivens and sign Elliot/Montoya/Khudobin.

Hall-RNH-Yakupov
Perron-Stastny-Iginla
Moss-Gordon-Glass
Gazdic-Hendricks-rookie

Josi-Niskanen
Petry-J.Schultz
Ference-Marincin
rookie switching in and out with Marincin

Scrivens plus ?

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 10:07 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
He didn't realize it when he took the job, but he's here to do exactly what Tambo was doing. Don't sell the future away unless we're getting great value. Hold your cards till you're tough kinda like what L.A did.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 12:01 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Except Tambo didn't ever address holes in the roster. MacT is slowly filling holes.

Also, Eberle + 2nd for Roman Josi? Seriously?

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 12:24 AM
Beerfish

He was an awful awful hire in the 1st place. He came in as a rookie and has acted like a rookie gm from day one.

Tips his hand as to what he is doing on day one.
Hires a rookie coach after a couple hour interview thus blowing his own words about changing coaches out of the water.
Makes all kinds of unrealitic comments right out of the chute.
Makes a host of awful player acquisitions early on.
Does a 100% about face on almost everything he said when he was hired a few months later.

Even his best move that he has made (Perron trade) was not really the right move for the the oilers considering later statements.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote