HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bolland Seeking Seven or Eight Year Term

Old
02-28-2014, 02:55 PM
Delicious Dangles*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
Buffalo had most of their players take discounts. Then with new ownership, began handing out contacts like Ehrhoff's and Leino's.

It caused well known discontent in the locker room. Other players were incredibly upset at the money they were denied but others received. The team fell apart because of how they allocated money.

Agents and players will absolutely point to those contacts - logically, fairly or not. It will absolutely affect team dynamics.
I think it is QUITE the stretch to attribute Buffalo's struggles to team payroll expanding because of new ownership.

I also don't see all these Buffalo players that took discount contracts. Actually, one of the biggest "discounts" they have is the Ehrhoff contract.

Agents and GMs use league-wide player comparables, not in-team contracts.

Delicious Dangles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 03:27 PM
gabeliscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Dangles View Post
Kessel took a discount.
Phaneuf took a discount.
Lupul took a discount.
McClement took a discount.
Liles took a discount.

Ranger and Raymond both chose here and signed for cheap.

Kadri, Franson, and Gunnarsson, while RFAs, took less than market value.

Just because we don't get multi-million dollar discounts, doesn't mean we don't get discounts.
kessel = $8 million x 8years. im not sure i call that a discount

phaneuf = $7 million x 7 years. im not sure i call that a discount

lupul =$5.25 for 1 good year where he didnt even play 75 games + 5 years worth of security. definitely no discount here

mclemment = cant argue with this. $1.5 is good value for him.

liles = $3.9 million for a guy who was injured because of a concussion and signed for 3 years before he even showed if he can play is not a discount.

raymond and ranger are lucky to have jobs in the nhl. clearly people were not banging down the door to sign them.

kadri at $2.9 is fair value on a bridge deal. he was coming off 1 good year.

franson didnt take a discount, nonis gave him a take it or leave it deal. im not sure he is worth more then $2 million.

gunnarson at $3.15 is pretty reasonable. i wouldnt say he left money on the table though.

the difference between all of these players and bolland is that they all had ties to the leafs except for raymond who had ties to nonis. bolland was traded after winning a cup in chicago here. he only played a handful of games and he may or may not like it here.

imo fair contract for bolland is $3.75 x 4 years. i think if he would sign for under $4 i would give him an extra year if he wanted it.

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 04:23 PM
The_Chosen_One

Quote:
Kessel took a discount.
Phaneuf took a discount.
Lupul took a discount.
McClement took a discount.
Liles took a discount.

Ranger and Raymond both chose here and signed for cheap.

Kadri, Franson, and Gunnarsson, while RFAs, took less than market value.

Just because we don't get multi-million dollar discounts, doesn't mean we don't get discounts.
Exactly, and Bolland is going to be signed for at least $4 million long-term ( 7-8 year term). I am pretty sure he's still part of our plan.

The_Chosen_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 04:59 PM
LeafalCrusader

Max I'd offer him is 4.2x5 same as Bozak. If he turns that down you trade him.

LeafalCrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 05:04 PM
gabeliscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chosen_One View Post
Exactly, and Bolland is going to be signed for at least $4 million long-term ( 7-8 year term). I am pretty sure he's still part of our plan.
i would actually barf if nonis gave him that much money + term.

i dont understand the compulsion to want to lock up 3rd line players at bloated cap hits and bloated term. we might as well look up kulemin for 8 years as well to round out our 3rd line.

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 05:27 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
If it worked that way Kulemin would be asking for more than $5.25M as well.

It doesn't, though.
It doesn't mean he can't shoot for the moon with his demands.

Clarkson, Clowe and Weiss all got contracts of no less than 4.85 million with at least 5 years term last off-season when the cap was going down.

If Bolland hits the open market I have no doubt some team would offer him at least 5 x 5. But would that team be making a smart move? Probably not!

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 05:44 PM
Duke Silver
Truce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
It doesn't mean he can't shoot for the moon with his demands.

Clarkson, Clowe and Weiss all got contracts of no less than 4.85 million with at least 5 years term last off-season when the cap was going down.

If Bolland hits the open market I have no doubt some team would offer him at least 5 x 5. But would that team be making a smart move? Probably not!
All three of those players had higher offensive upside than Bolland at the time of their deals, though.

I don't think Bolland gets over $4.5M from anyone.

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 08:16 PM
Guy Boucher

vCash: 370
Quote:
I think it is QUITE the stretch to attribute Buffalo's struggles to team payroll expanding because of new ownership.

I also don't see all these Buffalo players that took discount contracts. Actually, one of the biggest "discounts" they have is the Ehrhoff contract.

Agents and GMs use league-wide player comparables, not in-team contracts.
Ehrhoff made $18M in his first two seasons with Buffalo, and you call that a discount?

Guy Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 08:21 PM
InterceptSchenn
Good Evening MrFrost

he's played 15 games for us. Yeah, you're a funny guy Dave. Please, not again.

InterceptSchenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 08:29 PM
Duke Silver
Truce?

Quote:
Ehrhoff made $18M in his first two seasons with Buffalo, and you call that a discount?
And how much is he making over the last 8 years?

I never understand why people use actual salary. If actual salary mattered, there wouldn't be an average annual cap hit in a team's salary cap. Ehrhoff at $4M/year IS a discount, and it is a steal.

Old
02-28-2014, 08:38 PM
KuleminFan41

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeliscious View Post
kessel = $8 million x 8years. im not sure i call that a discount

phaneuf = $7 million x 7 years. im not sure i call that a discount

lupul =$5.25 for 1 good year where he didnt even play 75 games + 5 years worth of security. definitely no discount here

mclemment = cant argue with this. $1.5 is good value for him.

liles = $3.9 million for a guy who was injured because of a concussion and signed for 3 years before he even showed if he can play is not a discount.

raymond and ranger are lucky to have jobs in the nhl. clearly people were not banging down the door to sign them.

kadri at $2.9 is fair value on a bridge deal. he was coming off 1 good year.

franson didnt take a discount, nonis gave him a take it or leave it deal. im not sure he is worth more then $2 million.

gunnarson at $3.15 is pretty reasonable. i wouldnt say he left money on the table though.

the difference between all of these players and bolland is that they all had ties to the leafs except for raymond who had ties to nonis. bolland was traded after winning a cup in chicago here. he only played a handful of games and he may or may not like it here.

imo fair contract for bolland is $3.75 x 4 years. i think if he would sign for under $4 i would give him an extra year if he wanted it.
Just because you don't think it's a discount, doesn't mean there isn't one

If Kessel , and Phaneuf both were UFA's, they'd get more than they got from the Leafs. Is their wages high? Yes,but on the open market Dion they'd get max dollars. It's people around here who think they aren't worth it but GM's actually know what they are worth and guys like them don't get on the open market often.

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 08:58 PM
Guy Boucher

vCash: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
And how much is he making over the last 8 years?

I never understand why people use actual salary. If actual salary mattered, there wouldn't be an average annual cap hit in a team's salary cap. Ehrhoff at $4M/year IS a discount, and it is a steal.
Yea until the cap recapture rule takes into effect? Those circumvention deals are going to handicap teams once the players retire.

Anyways, it's irrelevant to the players themselves. The players couldn't give a rats behind what the cap hit is. They only care about the $$$.

Guy Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 09:22 PM
Duke Silver
Truce?

Quote:
Yea until the cap recapture rule takes into effect? Those circumvention deals are going to handicap teams once the players retire.

Anyways, it's irrelevant to the players themselves. The players couldn't give a rats behind what the cap hit is. They only care about the $$$.
Are you saying Ehrhoff won't play until the end of the contract? He won't even be 39 by the time it ends.

Not to mention that $4M in a rising cap world becomes more and more minuscule each and every year.

Even if Ehrhoff retires in year 9, Buffalo will have $3M in dead cap space for one year. I think they'd trade that for all the cost savings and production-per-dollar they will have received over the years. Cap recapture? Pffft big deal.

By the way, the answer is that he will be making $22M over the last 8 years.

Old
02-28-2014, 09:51 PM
Gary Nylund

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeliscious View Post
i would actually barf if nonis gave him that much money + term.

i dont understand the compulsion to want to lock up 3rd line players at bloated cap hits and bloated term. we might as well look up kulemin for 8 years as well to round out our 3rd line.
Yup, may as well. Bolland for 4 mil, Kuli for 3, between them and Clarkson that would take care of 1/6 or so of our cap for next season but we would have a solid 3rd line indeed! Above average money for average players, that's awesome cap management because no worries, the cap will go up next season, and again the next season and so on isn't that right?

/end sarcasm

Gary Nylund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 02:31 AM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

When I first heard that Bolland wanted a seven or eight year contract the first thing I thought was this. Last summer we heard that Tyler Bozak wanted an 8 year contract and we all know that didn't happen. So if Bolland gets re-signed, I think it's either a four or five year deal.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 01:44 PM
howehullorr

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckOutHere View Post
Link to article

Also,

hahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaah
His agent is probably using the Clarkson deal as a comparable. Using that deal as the barometer, then 6 years at $5.5 m per .

howehullorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 04:28 PM
redgrant

Everyone is bashing Bolland but like Nick said the bar was set with Clarkson. Nonis has no one to blame but himself. Its just like if youre at your jobs and your coworker gets a ridiculous raise and does the exact same job as you. Wont you ask for the same insane offer?

redgrant is offline   Reply With Quote