HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bolland Seeking Seven or Eight Year Term

Old
02-26-2014, 12:33 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
It's fair to say that now is the time to panic.
This is altogether different than Kadri and Franson this summer when we panicked unnecessarily, this time it's real. It was on twitter for goodness sake!!

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 12:33 PM
Diatomic
~~~ NAZEM KADRI ~~~

Did Bolland tear a tendon on his leg or an artery in his brain? This is madness dave, madness!!!

Diatomic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 12:34 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
They don't need to trade him now. They're better off keeping him for the playoffs and trading his rights at the draft. You can probably get a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him at that point.
You won't get diddly for DB in the off season.

He has to be traded before the TD.

He and his agent are loco, I don't want any part of him around for a PO run.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 12:34 PM
Duke Silver
Truce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
Clarkson had a good 100 games or so over his entire career and reverted back to career norm production level the back half of last season . Picking his one and only good year he's had to justify his contract is ridiculous .

I wouldn't call the rumor of Edm in the bidding along with us an all out bidding war . Also if i'm only bidding against incompetent/desperate GM's i'd seriously question why i'm still trying to sign the player .

Funny thing is if Nonis does indeed give him the type deal he wants you'l be on here defending his decision .
He had two years of good production when playing the role in New Jersey that we envisioned he would be playing in Toronto: top-6 minutes with considerable PP time.

What's ridiculous is how you guys ignore the two seasons prior to signing his contract in favour of using years 1-4 of his career, when he was working his way out of the AHL and into the New Jersey lineup, mostly playing third-line minutes and minimal PP time as some sort of justification that he was always a third-liner. As if what he did three years ago is a better indication of his talent than what he did more recently. Bahaha, give me a break.

Call me a "yes man" all you want but the fact of the matter is I don't try to distort the facts and conveniently use outdated information to formulate my arguments. At least I have an understanding of the negotiating process. Bolland's case isn't as strong as Clarkson's was. That's irrefutable.

Funny thing is no matter what Nonis does you'll be on here saying you could have done a better job.

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 12:39 PM
thewave

The precedent was set with Clarkson for sure. Its the main reason for this happening and it will continue to happen. I mean lets just tell it like it is really. Nonis !@#$ed up.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 12:41 PM
Diatomic
~~~ NAZEM KADRI ~~~

Honestly guys holland did a good job at #3C, I have no trouble giving holland and his cute cap hit that permanent fixture as #3C rather than satisfy the rat's ridiculous demands. If holland doesn't work out at #3C, we can just get Kule there (unless his demands are as idiotic as bollands).

Diatomic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 12:42 PM
smitty10

Hahahahaha good luck!!!

What is wrong with these guys? 8 years for an above average player? Should be reserved for stars..

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 12:43 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan90 View Post
Nobody on here is defending Clarkson's contract. Not everything is a pro Clarkson, anti Clarkson or pro Bozak, anti Bozak debate. He showed why Clarkson had much more leverage than Bolland when it came to getting this type of deal. Hell, we weren't even the largest bidders for Clarkson.
I guess you missed the multiple posts in the other threads defending DC's contract .

The truth is Clarkson never would have played on an offensive line or received the pp mins he did if NJ didn't lack depth on wing .

As far as leverage goes it'll depend on how he plays after he comes back , if can regain the form he had he'll have more than Clarkson .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave View Post
The precedent was set with Clarkson for sure. Its the main reason for this happening and it will continue to happen. I mean lets just tell it like it is really. Nonis !@#$ed up.
The precedent was set long before Clarkson. Take a look at contracts signed since the 2004 lockout.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
He had two years of good production when playing the role in New Jersey that we envisioned he would be playing in Toronto: top-6 minutes with considerable PP time.

What's ridiculous is how you guys ignore the two seasons prior to signing his contract in favour of using years 1-4 of his career, when he was working his way out of the AHL and into the New Jersey lineup, mostly playing third-line minutes and minimal PP time as some sort of justification that he was always a third-liner. As if what he did three years ago is a better indication of his talent than what he did more recently. Bahaha, give me a break.

Call me a "yes man" all you want but the fact of the matter is I don't try to distort the facts and conveniently use outdated information to formulate my arguments. At least I have an understanding of the negotiating process. Bolland's case isn't as strong as Clarkson's was. That's irrefutable.

Funny thing is no matter what Nonis does you'll be on here saying you could have done a better job.
Good general managers look at the big picture, they look at the statistics and take the complete body of work into consideration. It's been said many times. To look at Clarkson's body of work over a season and a half was short sighted and we are paying the price right now for that mistake, if he never regains form you will never hear the end of it until he is bought out.

I was never for this signing and wouldn't be for it even at 4m x 7, the player is just not good enough on his feet to warrant such pay.

Old
02-26-2014, 12:45 PM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
The precedent was set long before Clarkson. Take a look at contracts signed since the 2004 lockout.
Absolutely but the types of contracts being signed like that of Clarkson were being weeded out at the time. It was all looking very positive up until that signing in particular.

Old
02-26-2014, 12:45 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 9-5

Quote:
What are the similarities between Bolland and Clarkson? I don't see it.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 12:48 PM
thewave

Quote:
At a glance, Bolland is gritty in your face center who is clutch. Essentially he is superior to Clarkson and there is no similarity other than they both are gritty and play hockey.

Old
02-26-2014, 12:48 PM
ChesapeakeRipper
#45 Bernier ❤

vCash: 50
i'd be willing to offer bolland a 1 year deal worth 4.5M. this way it buys us time to see if he's worth the money (for future contract extension) and it gives him a temporary raise too.

if he wants a long term contract, the number has to be between 3.75M to 4M. nothing more.

long term and/or more money is a no go.

ChesapeakeRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 12:49 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 9-5

Quote:
At a glance, Bolland is gritty in your face center who is clutch. Essentially he is superior to Clarkson and there is no similarity other than they both are gritty and play hockey.
Then it's doubtful Clarkson's contract would be used as a comparable.

Old
02-26-2014, 12:51 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Absolutely but the types of contracts being signed like that of Clarkson were being weeded out at the time. It was all looking very positive up until that signing in particular.
What do you mean by this?

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 12:54 PM
Guy Boucher

vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Disagree. Teams in St. Louis and San Jose know that they have to sign beneath "market value" to stay with the team. And they all do.

Once a team adds one or two overpaid players, it throws off the team dynamics entirely. See, Buffalo and Ville Leino.

Guy Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
thewave

Quote:
Then it's doubtful Clarkson's contract would be used as a comparable.
It is if your agent and you are of the opinion that, """"I bring more to the table than player X"""" Right off the bat you are thrust into position where Team Y has to explain things, where as if they had not made such a contract they could simply say. Look to Bozak and what he is doing for us atm at 4.2m, and not be in a position where we look like the only team in the league that VALUES WINGERS more so than centers.

Old
GBLeaf

My train of thought is... it's a news article, so I don't believe it entirely.

However, if you pretend it is accurate, it's natural to ask for more than what you expect to receive in any walk of life, then you end up negotiating and get closer to what you realistically expect.

Alternatively, he could just not really fancy sticking around in TO and is asking for daft terms deliberately.

Maybe the DC contract gives him the idea he has leverage, but I trust Nonis will make the right move. WHat's his value for a trade before the deadline? Coming back off an injury, not a lot. Keep him, see what he can do for the next 22 games and the play-offs, and then make a decision.

GBLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 12:55 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post

I said he had a good 100 games or so stretch and slumped badly in the back half of last season which is accurate . Also why wouldn't people take his entire career in consideration when evaluating a player . A player having a career year is far from uncommon .

You're the one who's distorting the facts and ignoring that his skill set isn't one that screams top 6 frwd .

NJ was weak on wing that's why he was bumped up to a scoring line and played PP mins . He has also been put on a scoring line here and failed and that's why his role was reduced .

Old
02-26-2014, 12:57 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 9-5

Quote:
It is if your agent and you are of the opinion that, """"I bring more to the table than player X"""" Right off the bat you are thrust into position where Team Y has to explain things, where as if they had not made such a contract they could simply say. Look to Bozak and what he is doing for us atm at 4.2m, and not be in a position where we look like the only team in the league that VALUES WINGERS more so than centers.
Yes Bozak would be a better comparable or Bolland himself.
I'm sure Bolland and his Agent realize Clarkson is a Winger.

Old
02-26-2014, 01:02 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
and considering C's are more more valuable than W's i guess you're saying he should use Clarkson's contract and go up from there

Old
02-26-2014, 01:04 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Quote:
Both players are using UFA market supply and demand economics to dictate their remuneration.

What other players received as unrestricted free agents on the open market within a Cap system determines what other future ones will ask for and receive.

If Bolland is better than Clarkson then salary should reflect that.

02-26-2014, 01:05 PM
TheProspector

That is ****ing insanity. We heard all kinds of whacky numbers in previous negotiations that have turned out more reasonably, though, so who knows.

TheProspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 01:07 PM
thewave

Quote:
Bolland is going to walk and get that term and 4.5m-5m no problem and it wont be for us. *If it is, a declining Bolland care of age will not be a factor when we are actually ready to contend.

Nonis is starting to imbalance this club and throw the age grouping out of whack. Clarkson did not fit in with any reasonable long term plan off the bat because of his age and talent level, Bolland is better to let go of unless you are dealing with a 5yr at reasonable hit sans all the other obvious NTC NMC's that come with such a deal.