HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Justin Schultz's extension

Old
02-26-2014, 11:06 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
^ I'm not suggesting we pay Schultz the same as RNH btw
Okay good. I was also exaggerating with the ">" signs.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 11:22 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
If Mac-T signs him to a long term deal for more than 5M per year, I'm giving up on life. LOL

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 11:29 PM
Hockey Nightmare
Ex-hockey fan

Right now - on merit - J.Schultz doesn't deserve more than 4M a year.

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 11:53 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
If Mac-T signs him to a long term deal for more than 5M per year, I'm giving up on life. LOL
I'd be pissed if it was over 4. IMO, a fair deal is 2 years @2.5-3 million. If he wants 5+ years, I'd be offering 3.5

02-27-2014, 02:01 AM
Cam98

either longterm contract at 4.5m per year or bridge at 3.25m per year.

Cam98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 09:32 AM
Isbrant

I have not looked at any advanced stats yet but Shultz's stats this season are very similar to Kris Russel with Calgary who signed a bridge contract of 2.6 for 2 years.

Shultz - 52 games, 8g, 16a, 24p, .46ppg, 23:22 TOI/g, 3:35 PPTOI/g, 0:52 SHTOI/g
Russel - 44 games, 4g, 16a, 20p, .45ppg, 23:28 TOI/g, 3:00 PPTOI/g, 0:55 SHTOI/g

Russel was injured for a few games. Shultz leads the Oilers defense in most catagories, Russel is 3rd for the Flames.

If I was giving a bridge contract, I would start with Russel's as a basis.

Isbrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 11:07 AM
LTIR

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
I'm sure Montreal is super happy that they signed PK to a bridge contract when they sign him for 8.5 AAV this sunner.
yes because Subban is going to commant 1.5M more than Doughty..
Weber offersheet was well over the top in terms of overpayment but even that was not even close to 8.5AAV..
No way Subban makes over 7M even after the bridge deal..
in hindsight 5M long term would have been better for MTL but now they know that Subban is the real deal so giving him 6.5M-7M would be worth it..

J.Schultz is not on the same boat ..

LTIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 11:12 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
Weber offersheet was well over the top in terms of overpayment but even that was not even close to 8.5AAV..
in hindsight 5M long term would have been better for MTL but now they know that Subban is the real deal so giving him 6.5M-7M would be worth it..

Subban is getting paid.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 11:42 AM
ponokanocker

Quote:

I think with the new CBA and salary cap going up, he could get more. It's not to say he is a better player, but he is going to get a tonne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Subban is getting paid.
Agreed. I think MTL will eventually deal him or he will be sitting to start the season.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 11:45 AM
MrBigglesworth

Quote:

Doughty signed in 2011, Subban is signing in 2014 with the cap about to rise huge. Doesn't hurt he just won the Norris, either. I hate the guy and IMO he is (while extremely talented) no where near a Doughty or a Weber- but he is most definitely going to get a pile of money. Montreal screwed up on that bridge contract.

MrBigglesworth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 11:57 AM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isbrant View Post
I have not looked at any advanced stats yet but Shultz's stats this season are very similar to Kris Russel with Calgary who signed a bridge contract of 2.6 for 2 years.

Shultz - 52 games, 8g, 16a, 24p, .46ppg, 23:22 TOI/g, 3:35 PPTOI/g, 0:52 SHTOI/g
Russel - 44 games, 4g, 16a, 20p, .45ppg, 23:28 TOI/g, 3:00 PPTOI/g, 0:55 SHTOI/g

Russel was injured for a few games. Shultz leads the Oilers defense in most catagories, Russel is 3rd for the Flames.

If I was giving a bridge contract, I would start with Russel's as a basis.
Russel is 3 years older and has been struggling in the league for 8 years as a depth guy. This is likely his peak season, and his next contract will be a 3m one.

Schultz has been in the league for barely a season, and his play will progress.

Giving a bridge to Russel is smart as he was a marginal NHL D for a long time (acquired for a 4th) and in two years will likely be worth 3 mil/season. Schultz on the other hand will probably be worth 5 mil in two years if he keeps progressing

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 12:09 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
PK subban leads his team in scoring as well this year. he is going to get paid

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 12:21 PM
LTIR

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth View Post
Doughty signed in 2011, Subban is signing in 2014 with the cap about to rise huge. Doesn't hurt he just won the Norris, either. I hate the guy and IMO he is (while extremely talented) no where near a Doughty or a Weber- but he is most definitely going to get a pile of money. Montreal screwed up on that bridge contract.
The cap is not really going up "huge".. it just took a dip this season.. If there was no lockout the cap this year would have been over 70M .. Karlsson could also be a good comparison for Subban.. Subban will not be making 8.5M per long term for any club just like how Pieterangelo isnt making that amount..
Subban should get 7M though after TOR screwing with salaries by giving Phaneuf this new extension.

LTIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 12:26 PM
oiLowe

Quote:
The cap is not really going up "huge".. it just took a dip this season.. If there was no lockout the cap this year would have been over 70M .. Karlsson could also be a good comparison for Subban.. Subban will not be making 8.5M per long term for any club just like how Pieterangelo isnt making that amount..
Subban should get 7M though after TOR screwing with salaries by giving Phaneuf this new extension.
I guarantee Subban will make closer to 8m per on his next contract.

oiLowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 12:28 PM
oiLowe

As for Schultz, why on earth would they give more than a 2-3 year deal. If the Oilers have proven anything it's that development is hard to come by and while I have no issues with Hall and Nuge. They are vastly different players than Schultz.

If he becomes a great player, awesome! But you do NOT pay him for potential.

oiLowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 03:32 PM
MrBigglesworth

Quote:
Uh, what? Up by 7 million isn't huge..?
The "lockout dip" is neither here nor there. Fact is Doughty got his contract in 11-12 when the cap was 64.3, and cap projections were a lot less favorable in 2011 than they are today following the Rogers deal. There is no way that doesn't have an effect on player salaries.
8.5? I dunno. But he's getting more than Doughty's 7.

MrBigglesworth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 04:33 PM
SoftDumps

vCash: 450
Quote:
The "lockout dip" is neither here nor there. Fact is Doughty got his contract in 11-12 when the cap was 64.3, and cap projections were a lot less favorable in 2011 than they are today following the Rogers deal. There is no way that doesn't have an effect on player salaries.
Agreed. Subban is closer to 8 than 7. Bridge contract fail.

If we can get Schultz around 4-4.5 for a good chunk of time, we do it. 4M will be pretty cheap over the next few years, imo, as cap going forward will be a far cry from the 64M days. We bridge him and he takes off, we are looking at paying significantly more, which also sets the bar on what our defensemen in the future are asking for.

If he is overpaid for 1-2 years to start the deal, that's totally fine. We won't need the cap relief that soon anyways. If we wanna contend, we need the space a couple years down the road, and hopefully Hall (already is), Ebs, Nuge, and Schultz are all outperforming their contracts. That's how you win in a cap world.

SoftDumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 04:33 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Bridge contract for ~3.5 mil per season is more than fair for Junior. He's improved his play before the Olympic break, but he's got a long ways to go when it comes to the defensive zone. I personally wouldn't prefer, but would be alright with him getting a Shattenkirk contract as well.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 12:50 PM
Zaddy Zads

I believe in Schultz. I think we'd regret giving him a bridge contract. On top of that the guy actually wants to be here and grow with the core. Give him something like 4m/5yrs.

Zaddy Zads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 05:44 PM
SoftDumps

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5255 View Post
I believe in Schultz. I think we'd regret giving him a bridge contract. On top of that the guy actually wants to be here and grow with the core. Give him something like 4m/5yrs.
Agree. If we can get him at 4 million, for a decent chunk of time he is outperforming that contract when we really need it (2-3 years down the road). I think 4.5 is even palatable if we can get some term. A bridge could come back to bite us, but it won't be Subban-esque at least. Either way I see him on our team down the road. I still think he will be a very good NHLer.

SoftDumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 02:11 PM
Mr Positive

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftDumps View Post
Agree. If we can get him at 4 million, for a decent chunk of time he is outperforming that contract when we really need it (2-3 years down the road). I think 4.5 is even palatable if we can get some term. A bridge could come back to bite us, but it won't be Subban-esque at least. Either way I see him on our team down the road. I still think he will be a very good NHLer.
I think Schultz is comparable to Subban, just at lower cap hit. Montreal had an opportunity to lock up Subban at around 6 million long term. Now it will be around 9 million.

With Schultz we lock him up for 4-5 million long term. If we do the bridge contract his next deal could be 6-7.

It's not like we're going to spend to the cap either. I would rather overpay Schultz for a couple of years and get a bargain on him later on.

Mr Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 02:54 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 692
Quote:
I disagree on that, right now it looks like the Canadian dollar will sink to around 85 cents US in the next few months. On top of that theres no Lockout looming so you know exactly whats going to take place for the next little while unlike when Doughty was signed. I do think PK will get paid but thats because he's and egotistical chump and Montreal has no choice.

raab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 02:55 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftDumps View Post
Said it earlier, I'd rather give Schultz a 3M 2 year deal and have him earn an 7-8M long term contract. Then give him a 4.5M deal long term and give him no incentive.

raab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 07:40 PM
spOiler

After seeing girardi's deal id give him 5.5x7years and see if he takes it

spOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 08:23 PM
supert

Quote:

You can not compare contracts signed a few years apart . If that was the case there would never have been lock outs and the players would still be being paid less then 1,000,000.00 . GM,s might like to compare them ,but an player agent knows better .

supert is offline   Reply With Quote