HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation (Part XIX)

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2014, 03:49 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs View Post
Hence why I said not suggesting the move as part of a tank. Of course if I'm just misreading your comment, then thanks for agreeing.
Aye. Expanding on / supporting your thought, not arguing against it.

Old
02-27-2014, 03:53 PM
bazaaa*

I like Lack, and don't care for Kane too much, but Kane for Kesler and Lack is just ridiculous.

Old
02-27-2014, 03:53 PM
BigZ65

Quote:
Originally Posted by rguy56 View Post
I really have to weigh in on the Simmonds for Byfuglien idea.

Why?

There is not a big age difference, and Byfuglien will outscore Simmonds as a forward or a defenseman, probably for the rest of their careers. The Jets would be giving up unquestionably one of the best power play point men in the league, and I would argue that they aren't even adding toughness.

I think that Byfuglien is one of the elite players in the NHL. Some would agree with me. Few would say the same about Simmonds. There would have to be more to a swap involving those players.
He hasn't yet.

Byfuglien is an offensive force as a defenceman (including playing the point on the PP when he's playing "forward"), other than the 2010 playoffs, he's been pretty pedestrian as a forward in terms of GAP production.

Old
02-27-2014, 03:59 PM
bazaaa*

Buff probably gets like 12mins a game as forward on the third line.

Old
02-27-2014, 04:36 PM
VictoriaJetsFan

I think Buff and maybe redmond for the Schenn brothers makes perfect sense right now...Schenns will help far into the future and for the palyoff run right now...I think Charlie Huddy could help Luke really improve..

Old
02-27-2014, 05:49 PM
Kyosama

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaJetsFan View Post
I think Buff and maybe redmond for the Schenn brothers makes perfect sense right now...Schenns will help far into the future and for the palyoff run right now...I think Charlie Huddy could help Luke really improve..
I can't remember who specifically it was, but a member of the Philadelphia media recently questioned whether Luke Schenn would be able to continue playing hockey. Not because he's injured, but because he's that bad.

Old
02-27-2014, 05:52 PM
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit

vCash: 5585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyosama View Post
I can't remember who specifically it was, but a member of the Philadelphia media recently questioned whether Luke Schenn would be able to continue playing hockey. Not because he's injured, but because he's that bad.
I was just going to say this. Luke gets by on the name, he's a pretty bad player.

Toronto robbed Philly blind in that trade.

Old
02-27-2014, 06:07 PM
sully1410
#EggosForEleven

vCash: 127
I don't expect Chevy to stand pat at the deadline. The way I see it is that chev either needs to buy more players, which is unlikely or be a seller to recoup the picks we spent in the off season. IMO, standing still and just looking at the team that we have in paper is a HUGE mistake and would actually **** me off a bit. He made a commitment to the playoffs in the off season, and I think the big question here is...with being only two points out of the final wild card spot, and how much of a run we've been under with Maurice...is he still committed to that plan?

If not, if he thinks that next year is the year...then a few things need to happen. If we aren't going to make the playoffs anyways...then the jets really need to look at getting the picks we spent back. We have a first, and a fourth...not exactly the best circumstance to improve your future. I think the fact that it took longer then friggen November to fire Noel. It was clear this team wasn't going to turn it around under him, and they wasted precious games waiting for the Jets to do just that. Also...get rid of pavs.

If the idea is to maintain this playoff hope,then I think you need yomgo for it and patch whatever holes you can in the roster. Goalie. Needed. Now. The draft year is weak and best case scenario, we're picking where we always pick. Granted this org drafts well...but I want to win already. Maybe selling off our first for a goalie or goalie plus wouldnt be the worst idea. Reimer has a very strong body of work, minus bad stats when he had a concussion. Obviously Toronto would be hesitsnt , with the exception of overpayment.

We all love Monty...but there is no way that a career back up just suddenly becomes the answer we're all looking for at 29yrs old. Before someone says Tim Thomas says hi, he's the exception to the rule.

I'm not saying it will happen, but maybe being aggressive wouldn't be the worst thing for this position. Hell, Corey Schneider's contract is up next season...I'm not sure that he'll stick around in Jersey considering the down swing they're in.

Old
02-27-2014, 06:07 PM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
@RickRalphTSN: Two scouts from Tampa Bay, one from Toronto and one from Montreal listed for tonight's #NHLJets game, for those who like that stuff.
@DarrinBauming: #NHLJets scouts among. RT @JoshuaCooper: Tonight's scouting manifest... 13 listed http://t.co/5eEiUNa2rW

Something up between Winnipeg & Tampa?

Old
02-27-2014, 06:08 PM
sully1410
#EggosForEleven

Quote:
@DarrinBauming: #NHLJets scouts among. RT @JoshuaCooper: Tonight's scouting manifest... 13 listed http://t.co/5eEiUNa2rW

Buff to Tampa for Stamkos

Old
02-27-2014, 06:18 PM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

vCash: 50
Discussion on TSN 1290 -- to trade Jokinen and Stuart? If the price is right I would.

Old
02-27-2014, 06:39 PM
Huffer

Don't really disagree with much that you wrote Sully.

The only thing I would sort of disagree with us the draft. It might not be as good as last years or next year, but if the Jets don't make the playoffs I think we're most likely in the top 10, and I think there are quality guys there.

Not that I'm against trading the pick, I've also mentioned it before, I just personally wouldn't use it for a goalie.

Old
02-27-2014, 06:42 PM
Huffer

Quote:

I've mentioned TB previously. Really like some of the pieces there.

Old
02-27-2014, 07:11 PM
sully1410
#EggosForEleven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Don't really disagree with much that you wrote Sully.

The only thing I would sort of disagree with us the draft. It might not be as good as last years or next year, but if the Jets don't make the playoffs I think we're most likely in the top 10, and I think there are quality guys there.

Not that I'm against trading the pick, I've also mentioned it before, I just personally wouldn't use it for a goalie.
I'm kind of on the fence about it myself, but the point I would put to you I this:

How much is the playoffs worth to you? IMO a better goaltender will get us there, would it not be worth trading the first for it?

I mean we can be as high minded as we like about not trading valuable assets for goalie...but the fact is that it does happen. Unless your trying for inexperienced tenders...and that can be a real risk.

Old
02-27-2014, 07:20 PM
GoldenJet89

I wonder what Anaheim would want for Frederik Andersen... If he's even available. He's a up and comer that i would pay a decent price to gamble on

I wonder what their goaltending plans are in general i guess.

Andersen is 14-3 this season. 2.06 gaa and a .928 sv%. He is on a very good team, but has still been fantastic.

They have a log jam of goalies in Anaheim with Gibson in the pipe. Fasth is signed til the end of next season. Hiller is a pending UFA and i cant picture them not re-signing him since Fasth has had injuries and Andersen is still unproven

Old
02-27-2014, 07:52 PM
Jet
Buff Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
I'm kind of on the fence about it myself, but the point I would put to you I this:

How much is the playoffs worth to you? IMO a better goaltender will get us there, would it not be worth trading the first for it?

I mean we can be as high minded as we like about not trading valuable assets for goalie...but the fact is that it does happen. Unless your trying for inexperienced tenders...and that can be a real risk.
If you look at the history of what teams have paid for goalies (both low and high) and what those goalies ended up being, I don't think there is more of a crap shoot in terms of acquisition risk/reward.

I would much rather hunt around in the bargain bin for a goalie. Upgrading on Pavelec is really not a momentus task.

02-27-2014, 08:54 PM
chaos4
Mr.Scratch

vCash: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenJet89 View Post
I wonder what Anaheim would want for Frederik Andersen... If he's even available. He's a up and comer that i would pay a decent price to gamble on

Andersen is 14-3 this season. 2.06 gaa and a .928 sv%. He is on a very good team, but has still been fantastic.

They have a log jam of goalies in Anaheim with Gibson in the pipe. Fasth is signed til the end of next season. Hiller is a pending UFA and i cant picture them not re-signing him since Fasth has had injuries and Andersen is still unproven
I like this idea.

Old
02-27-2014, 09:57 PM
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit

vCash: 5585
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenJet89 View Post

I think they're going to let Hiller walk and gamble on Fasth + Anderson.

They're an internal cap team and it makes more sense for them to save on goaltending so they can spend elsewhere (Getzlaf, Perry, etc.).

Old
02-27-2014, 09:59 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
I've mentioned TB previously. Really like some of the pieces there.
Just curious which pieces you like in particular?

Old
02-28-2014, 12:03 AM
CaptainChef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
If you look at the history of what teams have paid for goalies (both low and high) and what those goalies ended up being, I don't think there is more of a crap shoot in terms of acquisition risk/reward.

I would much rather hunt around in the bargain bin for a goalie. Upgrading on Pavelec is really not a momentus task.
i like this idea - first or second draft pick for a probable goalie doesn't excite me when its easy to find something better than Pav

Old
02-28-2014, 07:17 AM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...247733021.html

I thought Lawless was coming around this year but now he wants the Jets to re-sign Stu. I'd still like to extract some value out of a contender at the deadline.

Old
02-28-2014, 08:06 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post

I agree with Jet on this one. There is no guarantee that if the Jets traded their 1st for a goalie that the team would make the playoffs. If there was a guarantee, than maybe, but even tossing that 1st for an older or UFA goalie wouldn't be worth it to me just to get the Jets into the playoffs once. I personally want to see the Jets in the playoffs, but I also want to see them compete in it one day. I would see dealing a 1st for a quick fix goalie as a short term gain for a longer term loss. And that's including the benefit to the current players of playoff experience.

Unless we're talking about trading a 1st for a younger top end goalie who will be around for a long time? A signed long term guy like Schneider maybe. I don't see any of those available though. I wouldn't move it for a guy like Miller for instance.

Old
02-28-2014, 08:09 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
Just curious which pieces you like in particular?
Quote:
I was thinking of teams that could possibly want a top pair RHD, and they are a team that could use one I believe. Hedman is young, is a lefty, and has 3 years left before he's a UFA. He needs a partner. Carle should be the second pair LHD, and Salo and Gudas are their top two righties and neither are anywhere close to being 1st pair quality.

Then, a quick look at their roster and prospect pool and you have the following:

Johnson, Palat, Killorn, Kucherov, Nameestnikov, Conolly, Panik, Koekkoek.

Not saying all of those guys are available, but I would have no issue with a deal that included someone in that list for sure, especially the 1st 5 names.
This is what I thought in the Trade Deadline thread.

Old
02-28-2014, 09:51 AM
CaptainChef

Quote:

Trying to get some feedback on this in the trade forum. Buff may be in play here - TB could sure use him on the PP. Purcell+ coming back?

Old
02-28-2014, 10:08 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubabooster View Post
Trying to get some feedback on this in the trade forum. Buff may be in play here - TB could sure use him on the PP. Purcell+ coming back?
I like Purcell, but I would rather one of the younger guys. The TB board really wants to get rid of Purcell.

Closed Thread