Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bruins Lose to Buffalo 5-4 in OT

Old
02-27-2014, 06:22 AM
RedeyeRocketeer

vCash: 500
talked to a few pretty smart hockey guys who said you're much better off being Buffalo (game the night before) than Boston (havent played in weeks).

So I'm not even mad. Backup goalie and rusty troops. I thought we still dominated chunks of play. And I've beaten this point to a pulp, but I'll say it again:

This is not a Bruins quality PK. We score more than enough goals. but the PK needs to be BETTER

RedeyeRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 06:31 AM
amazingcrwns
IBelieveThatWeWilWin

I can't see the B's picking up a goalie for the deadline. If Rask get's hurt then it'll be up to Svedberg to carry the team. Johnson is on the roster so Svedberg can continue to develop in Providence.

That being said, If Boston paid the price and picked up MacDonald from the Isles to shore up the D and still had cap space left over, I imagine Florida would be willing to ship Tim Thomas back up north for a draft pick. I wouldn't make that move though because in my opinion the potential distractions wouldn't be worth it.

amazingcrwns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 06:38 AM
RedeyeRocketeer

If Rask gets hurt, so be it, bye bye cup chances. I guess there are a few teams who might be able to win with their backup (Ducks, Pens, Blues), but that ain't us.

RedeyeRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 06:51 AM
Alicat
City of Champions!

The D was terrible last night in front of Johnson and deserves to share some of the blame rather than pinning it all on the goalie.

Dobby left to become a starter, something he was never going to be here. I don't know how many times this has to be said around here. Letting him go was the best thing the Bruins did in the offseason.

Multiple guys contributed to last night's loss not just one.

The biggest positive of last night is that the 3rd line was the best line last night and Kelly and Soderberg seem to have regained the chemistry they had during camp and at the beginning of the season. Kelly was in full cage mode and it looks like the break may have been the best thing for him.

1st game back from the break so I'm not too worried about this team at this point.

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 07:08 AM
bobbyorr04
Bruins fan 4ever

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by putabergeronthegrill View Post
I realize this is the post game thread where everyone freaks out but, lighten up people. bruins win this game 99 out of the other 100 times. Johnson didn't play well, we dominated for stretches, gave up fluky mistake goals. Not really an OTL to worry about...
Although this game still hurts this morning, you are right, and one of the positives I'm taking from the game is how good Kelly looked last night.

bobbyorr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 07:14 AM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

My analysis of the game: Ugh.

11MilesPerJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 07:26 AM
remer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicat View Post
The D was terrible last night in front of Johnson and deserves to share some of the blame rather than pinning it all on the goalie.

Dobby left to become a starter, something he was never going to be here. I don't know how many times this has to be said around here. Letting him go was the best thing the Bruins did in the offseason.

Multiple guys contributed to last night's loss not just one.

The biggest positive of last night is that the 3rd line was the best line last night and Kelly and Soderberg seem to have regained the chemistry they had during camp and at the beginning of the season. Kelly was in full cage mode and it looks like the break may have been the best thing for him.

1st game back from the break so I'm not too worried about this team at this point.
Well maybe a point that is being missed is that Johnson is not really the answer even in the next 20 plus games as Tuukka will need rest. He is terrible. 5 goals on 26 shots and he really did not make any big saves. Maybe the Bruins should look for someone that could be a better option if they don't think Svedberg is the answer.

Secondly, last night really shows why the Bruins need a top 2 defenseman. If the Bruins are relying on Boychuk to be #2 then they don't have a chance to win the Cup. Chara is slowing down and the rest are just okay. This is a weak spot on this team. Chia needs to make a move and a bigger one than perhaps a veteran body.

remer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 07:28 AM
Hali33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeyeRocketeer View Post
If Rask gets hurt, so be it, bye bye cup chances. I guess there are a few teams who might be able to win with their backup (Ducks, Pens, Blues), but that ain't us.
It ain't most teams. There are few teams out there that would not skip a beat if their starting goaltender went down.

Yes, if Rask goes down our cup chances are extremely slim. But I feel that way no matter who our backup would be. There's not a backup out there that comes close to Rask's level of play. There's a lot of strong teams out there and Rask playing strong will be an integral part of this team winning a cup. Rask going down would easily be one of the worst case scenarios for this team and I think you can't base moves and trades on that. Rask has only missed games because of the flu, no injuries and there's no reason to believe that he won't be in the playoffs.

Time and money would be better spent making the team around him as strong as possible and ensuring we have the depth to cover injuries that are reasonable to expect to our D and forwards.

Hali33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 08:21 AM
mislysBB

Rask going down would just suck the life out of this team. We had a hell of a time shortly after Seids went out, and I think it would be even worse if Rask were to get hurt somehow.

mislysBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 08:29 AM
BigBear83

I thought they played really well. sloppy at times, yes, that was to be expected.. but how much longer does krug's pathetic defense not get mentioned. the points are nice but ill take bart on the pp before I see another attempt at a "tricky stick defense" while getting manhandled off the puck in the corner. i though bart played decent tonight contrary to what a lot of people think, sometimes hes too fast and the forwards aren't prepared for that.. gotta mix up that d-pairing , him and boychuck just don't seem to mix right ..

BigBear83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 08:58 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11MilesPerJohan View Post
My analysis of the game: Ugh.
This sums up my analysis as well.

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 08:59 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossfan View Post
I was thinking the same thing. What a terrible day to be a Bruins fan, huge price increase followed by a laughable loss.
How much did they increase?

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 09:04 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
as long as Boston gets first or second seed and gets Montreal in the first round I'll be happy
What's our record against Montreal this season?

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 09:10 AM
Madturk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLBRUIN View Post
The real Chad Johnson showed up tonight. He had played surprisingly well this year despite very little lateral ability, guy must be the least talented goalie in the NHL, have to pray Rask dosen't get injured or we are cooked.
About as agile as Stephen Hawking in a snowstorm

Madturk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 09:18 AM
qc
#TeamClode

vCash: 69
-I thought Kelly looked fantastic. Great snipe on that goal, great 3-zone play. He plugged up a lot of passing lanes and had some pep to his step.

-Bartkowski is really starting to prove himself. I hope he keep him unless the return is irrefusable.

-The Swedes played well with the puck. Loui made a bad turnover in OT, other than that, I liked their game.

-I know it's hard not to love Miller, and I'm a fan, but I hope we don't fall too deeply in love with the kid; he's still very green and I've been worried by some of his decisions going back over the last 5-10 games.

-Krug was meh. I want McQ back with him ASAP.

-Johnson had a stinker. He has been pretty damn good value so far, but last night was inexcusable.

-Marchand and Loosick looked good out there.

-Chara can't let that OT goal happen again. I wasn't too worried about his play, though.

Last night had a certain sting to it, similar to the Habs losses. I admire how we stayed competitive throughout the 2nd/3rd, but we can't close out a game like that. I'll chalk it up as rust/jetlag, and not much else.

Enjoy the parade, Buffalo.

qc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 09:28 AM
BBB24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
What's our record against Montreal this season?
About the same as our record was against the Pens last season.

BBB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 10:16 AM
gillesgilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC View Post
-I thought Kelly looked fantastic. Great snipe on that goal, great 3-zone play. He plugged up a lot of passing lanes and had some pep to his step.

-Bartkowski is really starting to prove himself. I hope he keep him unless the return is irrefusable.

-The Swedes played well with the puck. Loui made a bad turnover in OT, other than that, I liked their game.

-I know it's hard not to love Miller, and I'm a fan, but I hope we don't fall too deeply in love with the kid; he's still very green and I've been worried by some of his decisions going back over the last 5-10 games.

-Krug was meh. I want McQ back with him ASAP.

-Johnson had a stinker. He has been pretty damn good value so far, but last night was inexcusable.

-Marchand and Loosick looked good out there.

-Chara can't let that OT goal happen again. I wasn't too worried about his play, though.

Last night had a certain sting to it, similar to the Habs losses. I admire how we stayed competitive throughout the 2nd/3rd, but we can't close out a game like that. I'll chalk it up as rust/jetlag, and not much else.

Enjoy the parade, Buffalo.
I agree except I didn't like the way Bart played last night and I too am a tad skeptical about some of the decisions Miller is making.We need another D.

gillesgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 10:23 AM
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by remer View Post
Well maybe a point that is being missed is that Johnson is not really the answer even in the next 20 plus games as Tuukka will need rest. He is terrible. 5 goals on 26 shots and he really did not make any big saves. Maybe the Bruins should look for someone that could be a better option if they don't think Svedberg is the answer.

Secondly, last night really shows why the Bruins need a top 2 defenseman. If the Bruins are relying on Boychuk to be #2 then they don't have a chance to win the Cup. Chara is slowing down and the rest are just okay. This is a weak spot on this team. Chia needs to make a move and a bigger one than perhaps a veteran body.
Its posts like this that make me go Lets forget everything the Bs have done this season and base the rest of the season on last night's game lol. Bs have no chance in P/O cause they lost to Buffalo last night.

Johnson and his 11-3-1 record can't handle the rest of the regular season because he obviously isn't getting enough wins for this team lol. And Boychuk sucks because nevermind last year's P/O and concentrate on last night's game.

Team is fine, the sky is not falling.

Shoebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 10:28 AM
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

Bartkowski had a good game. Played 2nd most minutes on D, maybe most if you subtract Chara's PP time, was a +1 despite team giving up 5 goals, and 1 assist. But some posters would love to sit him

Old
02-27-2014, 10:55 AM
rickizbruin

On any given night any NHL team can beat any other. im surpised at the panic im reading on here.
Too many what ifs... what if Tuka gets hurt ? why would he ? injuries are random.

What happens if Luc joins a religious cult and cant play in the playoffs.. and Krej decides to spend his life on his true life passion of not playing hockey and feeding the homeless.. and Bergy decides to quit hockey to persue a baseball career (knowing his passion he would be able to do it)... and Chara decides he wants to play in the NBA ?? then were really screwed !!! quick.. we need 3 more 1st line fwds and at least 2 top defencemen...
we are still first in the division and 2nd in the conference... and... last time we won the cup.. were we not third in the conference ?

rickizbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 11:06 AM
Bruinswillwin77
Registered Boozer

vCash: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickizbruin View Post
On any given night any NHL team can beat any other. im surpised at the panic im reading on here.
Too many what ifs... what if Tuka gets hurt ? why would he ? injuries are random.

What happens if Luc joins a religious cult and cant play in the playoffs.. and Krej decides to spend his life on his true life passion of not playing hockey and feeding the homeless.. and Bergy decides to quit hockey to persue a baseball career (knowing his passion he would be able to do it)... and Chara decides he wants to play in the NBA ?? then were really screwed !!! quick.. we need 3 more 1st line fwds and at least 2 top defencemen...
we are still first in the division and 2nd in the conference... and... last time we won the cup.. were we not third in the conference ?
Last time we won the cup we also had Seidenberg/Ference/Kaberle on D and not Krug/Bart/Miller.

Not saying the sky is falling just saying Krug/Bart are mostly offensive D-men and Miller is green as can be. And Rask was our backup goalie that year.

Bruinswillwin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 11:22 AM
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinswillwin77 View Post
Last time we won the cup we also had Seidenberg/Ference/Kaberle on D and not Krug/Bart/Miller.

Not saying the sky is falling just saying Krug/Bart are mostly offensive D-men and Miller is green as can be. And Rask was our backup goalie that year.
Actually its Batkowski, Hamilton, & Krug. Miller would be MacQuaid who we still have. Yes, Seidenberg is better Defensively than Bart, but Bart is more mobile. Could argue that Hamilton is already better than ference, and Krug brings way more than Kaberle.

Old
02-27-2014, 11:24 AM
rickizbruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinswillwin77 View Post

We will Miss Seidenberg without doubt.. but i see Krug and Bart as an upgrade. esp. offensively which could be a bonus for a team that sometimes has issues with goals. Without Krug we would have suffered during the Ranger series.

rickizbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 11:25 AM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by mislysBB View Post
Rask going down would just suck the life out of this team.
Figuratively? Or literally?

I literally don't think the team would be competitive enough to win due to the loss of talent, as opposed to the figurative life getting sucked out of the team.

ReggieMoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 11:26 AM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossfan View Post
I was thinking the same thing. What a terrible day to be a Bruins fan, huge price increase followed by a laughable loss.
At least we didn't pay to see that game. I hope they play well Sat.