HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Staple on Islander trades

Old
02-26-2014, 09:14 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Staple on Islander trades

Nothing ground breaking here, but does seem to feel that the Isles will not be making a deal soon (much to my dismay).

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...medium=twitter

My indications are that, barring a “can’t refuse” offer from anyone in the next few days, Snow will take this as close to the 3 p.m. deadline on March 5 as possible to entice better offers for both Vanek and MacDonald.

Some might think that strategy could backfire. There’s the possibility that either player could get hurt, with the Isles playing three games in the next four days, or that a prospective buyer could get tired of waiting and jump at another player available.

02-26-2014, 09:26 PM
13pacheco31

This will likely backfire on him. He'd probably get worse offers as deadline looms closer cause other teams know he essentially has to trade those two and get some assets for them since they're not making the playoffs and these guys won't be with the team next year.

13pacheco31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 09:30 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Nothing ground breaking here, but does seem to feel that the Isles will not be making a deal soon (much to my dismay).

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...medium=twitter

My indications are that, barring a “can’t refuse” offer from anyone in the next few days, Snow will take this as close to the 3 p.m. deadline on March 5 as possible to entice better offers for both Vanek and MacDonald.

Some might think that strategy could backfire. There’s the possibility that either player could get hurt, with the Isles playing three games in the next four days, or that a prospective buyer could get tired of waiting and jump at another player available.

IMO, Islanders are making a mistake by trading MacDonald. He is a solid defenseman that deserves a raise. Maybe the Islanders should pay some high end guys instead of ditching them. Take one step forward followed up by taking three or four steps back. There are only two good blueliners on that roster and he is one of them.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 09:32 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

I feel bad for the Islanders, but I really want their 2015 overall to be McDavid or Eichel, SORRY ISLANDER FANS DONT HATE ME!!! After next season we can be friends.

Stop Winnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 09:36 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
I feel bad for the Islanders, but I really want their 2015 overall to be McDavid or Eichel, SORRY ISLANDER FANS DONT HATE ME!!! After next season we can be friends.

Nobody can blame you for rooting against us. No worries!

I think not trading Vanek ASAP is a mistake because of the injury risk.

I do not want either AMac resigned, to be honest. AMac has been terrible this year and needs a change of scenery. It is possible he'll bounce back though, for sure.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 09:40 PM
seafoam

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
IMO, Islanders are making a mistake by trading MacDonald. He is a solid defenseman that deserves a raise. Maybe the Islanders should pay some high end guys instead of ditching them. Take one step forward followed up by taking three or four steps back. There are only two good blueliners on that roster and he is one of them.
The Islanders offered AMac a hefty raise (4M per for 4 years) and he turned it down, after what many Isles fans would consider his worst season on the Island.

He is demanding 5M per. The Islanders do not feel that he is worth that.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 09:56 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
The Islanders offered AMac a hefty raise (4M per for 4 years) and he turned it down, after what many Isles fans would consider his worst season on the Island.

He is demanding 5M per. The Islanders do not feel that he is worth that.
So, the Islanders go out and get a worse guy for cheap. The Islanders are the second cheapest organization in the NHL, just ahead of Florida. I sort of put the Islanders as an organization like I do the Pirates. Both have tremendous history, but have suffered for the last two decades for the most part. You have one good season - both qualified for the play-offs and then boom - throw it away with poor offseasons. I know the Vanek trade was made. It was flawed. You needed Miller more than Vanek. Just some observations. Time to spend some $$$. Your owner is cheap, just like the idiot who owns the Pirates.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 10:01 PM
ichabod13

Quote:
There are only two good blueliners on that roster and he is one of them.
you should watch the islanders more often before you say something like that. mac donald is about the 5th best defenseman on that team behind de haan, hamonic, hickey, and strait.
hes not horrible by any means. he was forced to play beyond his limits this year.......and boy did it show......
if he wants 5 million a year, i say "good luck and thanks for your services".

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 10:06 PM
OzzyFan

Quote:
One of these players is much much much much worse than all the other players possession wise but Strait:

MATTDONOVAN +12.92
CALVINDEHAAN +3.74
THOMASHICKEY +0.87
TRAVISHAMONIC -0.64
MATTCARKNER - 0.70
BRIANSTRAIT -13.87
ANDREWMACDONALD -15.06

He's a black hole for that defense. His top linemate is the guy with the -0.64 too, so he sucks notably worse than his highest toi D partner. MacDonald is going to be way overpaid this offseason by someone.

OzzyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 10:08 PM
OzzyFan

Quote:
You needed Miller more than Vanek. Just some observations.
Agreed. Lol, everyone in the world knows the isles needed a goalie more than an upgrade on wing. Everyone in the world but their GM knew.

Old
02-26-2014, 10:15 PM
MagnumForce

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyFan View Post
Agreed. Lol, everyone in the world knows the isles needed a goalie more than an upgrade on wing. Everyone in the world but their GM knew.
I think at the time Regier's asking price was two 1sts and a high end prospect for Miller.

MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 10:20 PM
Benedict Kovalchuk
Kovalchuk: A spy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
I think at the time Regier's asking price was two 1sts and a high end prospect for Miller.
IIRC he demanded one of Strome or Nelson, which would always be a non-starter for the Isles. UFAs do not get blue chip prospects.

Benedict Kovalchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 10:35 PM
LotteryForLife*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
I hate to disappoint you but with a healthy Tavares, budding star in Okposo and young players like Strome, Nelson and de Haan on the rise, the Isles will likely rebound and be, at worst mediocre next year. The best you can hope for is the 10th-15th pick. You will get McDavid all by yourself with that sad sack roster

LotteryForLife* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 10:48 PM
OzzyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
They still traded Moulson, 1st rounder, + 2nd rounder for Vanek. That's as close to that Miller package as you can get. I don't see how Moulson + 1st + 2nd wouldn't have landed a quality goalie or goalie prospect from somewhere, I mean look what Schneider and Bishop fetched. Terrible use of trade assets.

Old
02-26-2014, 10:58 PM
Jester9881

Snow tried getting Miller in the offseason, and again when he traded for Vanek. The asking price was astronomical. Not many players are worth Strome/Nelson and a 1st round pick.... especially 30+ year old goaltenders on expiring contracts.

To say that Snow doesn't understand the Islanders need help in net, after he went after Bernier, Luongo and Miller (just that we know of) in the offseason is just flat out being ignorant.

Jester9881 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 04:29 AM
giddy up

Quote:
They still traded Moulson, 1st rounder, + 2nd rounder for Vanek. That's as close to that Miller package as you can get. I don't see how Moulson + 1st + 2nd wouldn't have landed a quality goalie or goalie prospect from somewhere, I mean look what Schneider and Bishop fetched. Terrible use of trade assets.
Trading even 1 first for a goalie is usually crazy. So Bufs asking price is way too high. Plus isles are probably on millers no trade list

giddy up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 04:52 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

I think Garth Snow's heart and mind are in the right places where he knows his trade bait is valuable but I think he plays hardball too much. He's never going to get his asking price.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 04:54 AM
Markfly

How Snow still have a job is beyond me.

Markfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 05:03 AM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markfly View Post
How Snow still have a job is beyond me.
Well when the owner is spending near the bottom of the floor and the GM takes over a team of pure garbage with basically 0 prospects to go with, it might take awhile. Okposo and Nielsen are 2 of the starters he didn't acquire, however, he did magine to get Grabner,Moulson,Strait,Hickey,PAP for nothing more then WW or contracts (nothing given up for any of them). He also has drafted Tavares,Hamonic,Martin,De Haan,Cizikas,Strome,Donovan, and Lee + we still have Reinhart,Pulock,Pelech,Pedan, and Mayfield.

He literally started with nothing. Blame the owner, 15 years and not 1 playoff win.
We spend near the bottom every year and even find ways to spend less then the floor (cap circumvention). I'm not saying Snow is a saint, but, plenty of this falls on the owner who cares more about hotels and mega malls then he does about hockey.

MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 05:05 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Snow is gambling too much if he waits for the deadline, when you count everything in (injury risk, buyers getting cold feet, balking at the price, running out of time, etc) it could backfire right in his face.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 05:08 AM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Snow is gambling too much if he waits for the deadline, when you count everything in (injury risk, buyers getting cold feet, balking at the price, running out of time, etc) it could backfire right in his face.
Last word was that 6 teams were interested. He or any other GM should not take a stand and say something like this. "I'm listening to all offers from several teams" would have been a better answer.

Edit: Also this is the writers speculation so who knows if it's exactly true.

MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 05:12 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
Last word was that 6 teams were interested. He or any other GM should not take a stand and say something like this. "I'm listening to all offers from several teams" would have been a better answer.

Edit: Also this is the writers speculation so who knows if it's exactly true.
Yes I'm taking it with a grain of salt, because we didn't hear it from the ''horses mouth'', but that kind of a stance seems like posturing to me and he isn't really in a position to do so.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 06:28 AM
seafoam

Quote:
Snow tried to trade for Miller this summer but the asking price was too high. After his offers for Bernier and Schnieder were turned down, he made an offer to Emery, nut he chose Philly.

Nabby was the team's 5th option.

Old
02-27-2014, 06:31 AM
seafoam

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Chris Butler View Post
I think Garth Snow's heart and mind are in the right places where he knows his trade bait is valuable but I think he plays hardball too much. He's never going to get his asking price.
I kinda agree somewhat here. We saw Snow stand firm on his stance a few years ago when he was asking for a first for PA Parenteau, a relatively unproven guy. Apparently he only offered Nino straight up for Bernier/Schnieder when a mid pick and a low level prospect could have maybe put his offer over the hump.

Old
02-27-2014, 06:45 AM
bigd

Quote:
One of these players is much much much much worse than all the other players possession wise but Strait:

MATTDONOVAN +12.92
CALVINDEHAAN +3.74
THOMASHICKEY +0.87
TRAVISHAMONIC -0.64
MATTCARKNER - 0.70
BRIANSTRAIT -13.87
ANDREWMACDONALD -15.06

He's a black hole for that defense. His top linemate is the guy with the -0.64 too, so he sucks notably worse than his highest toi D partner. MacDonald is going to be way overpaid this offseason by someone.
All you have to do is look at Matt Carkners -0.70 and Matt Donovans +12.92 to realize how flawed that statistic is.

Last edited by bigd: 02-27-2014 at 08:42 AM.
bigd is offline   Reply With Quote