HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Staple on Islander trades

Old
02-27-2014, 08:09 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

vCash: 500
The only way Snow get vindicated is if he gets a 2015 1st rounder for Vanek. He keeps the 2014 pick (top-5) and you figure at the deadline Vanek goes to a contending team who will be above average in 2015, so the 2015 pick will be between 18-25. If the Isles are mediocre next season, Buffalo gets a 10-17 pick.

So if it goes that way, Snow gambled on almost a full season of Vanek at a cost of only 10 draft slots....at the most.

The key is for the Isles to rebound next season and Snow getting a 1st in return. If he goes into the 2015 draft without a 1st rounder, well, that just sucks, man.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 08:27 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyFan View Post
They still traded Moulson, 1st rounder, + 2nd rounder for Vanek. That's as close to that Miller package as you can get. I don't see how Moulson + 1st + 2nd wouldn't have landed a quality goalie or goalie prospect from somewhere, I mean look what Schneider and Bishop fetched. Terrible use of trade assets.
A couple of problems with that:

1) They couldn't afford to trade Moulson without getting a top-6 winger back.
2) They made the trade with the intention of signing Vanek long-term. I don't think they would have had the same intention with Miller.
3) They knew Vanek would have value at the deadline if things didn't work out. It remains to be seen if there is a huge market for Miller...most contenders are already set in goal.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 09:23 AM
stranger34

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Snow tried to trade for Miller this summer but the asking price was too high. After his offers for Bernier and Schnieder were turned down, he made an offer to Emery, nut he chose Philly.

Nabby was the team's 5th option.
If he thought Emery was a starting goalie solution then that was his first mistake.

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 09:26 AM
stranger34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
A couple of problems with that:

1) They couldn't afford to trade Moulson without getting a top-6 winger back.
2) They made the trade with the intention of signing Vanek long-term. I don't think they would have had the same intention with Miller.
3) They knew Vanek would have value at the deadline if things didn't work out. It remains to be seen if there is a huge market for Miller...most contenders are already set in goal.
Very very pro-Snow post.

on #2) the offer they made contradicts your assertion.

It was a total debacle of a trade.

Old
02-27-2014, 09:43 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
Very very pro-Snow post.

on #2) the offer they made contradicts your assertion.

It was a total debacle of a trade.
I defend Snow on the trade, because I think it was a reasonable risk at the time.

What made the trade bad is Snow's failure to surround the top-line with enough talent to compete and his refusal to make any changes in November when the team spiraled out of control. Once Nabokov, Visnovsky and Strait went down, it was clear the Isles didn't have the depth to stay in the race.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 09:53 AM
Dunkster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotteryForLife View Post
I hate to disappoint you but with a healthy Tavares, budding star in Okposo and young players like Strome, Nelson and de Haan on the rise, the Isles will likely rebound and be, at worst mediocre next year. The best you can hope for is the 10th-15th pick. You will get McDavid all by yourself with that sad sack roster
That's just fine, we will gladly take a 10-15 pick in 2015! It is a strong draft so a pick in that range will be like a 5-10 pick this year. Plus it does give us a shot at #1 even if it is only a tiny shot.

Dunkster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 09:56 AM
stranger34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
I defend Snow on the trade, because I think it was a reasonable risk at the time.

What made the trade bad is Snow's failure to surround the top-line with enough talent to compete and his refusal to make any changes in November when the team spiraled out of control. Once Nabokov, Visnovsky and Strait went down, it was clear the Isles didn't have the depth to stay in the race.
idk, I still think trading Moulson a 1st and 2nd for a guy that they weren't going to make a serious run at signing was a mistake from the start. If they were willing to essentially give him a blank check then I would have been on board with the spirit of the trade.

Old
02-27-2014, 09:58 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod13 View Post
you should watch the islanders more often before you say something like that. mac donald is about the 5th best defenseman on that team behind de haan, hamonic, hickey, and strait.
hes not horrible by any means. he was forced to play beyond his limits this year.......and boy did it show......
if he wants 5 million a year, i say "good luck and thanks for your services".

I have watched Islander games. We play you how many times a year? Absent Hamonic, MacDonald is the only Dman that would appeal to me as an opposing GM. Sorry, IMO he is better than Hicky, Strait for starters.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 10:05 AM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
I have watched Islander games. We play you how many times a year? Absent Hamonic, MacDonald is the only Dman that would appeal to me as an opposing GM. Sorry, IMO he is better than Hicky, Strait for starters.
You haven't seen much of Calvin de Haan then because he's pretty much our best overall d-man already with upside for more. Once AMac is gone, it's CdH who will likely see his ice time and responsibility increase. Even with the short sample size, he's outplayed AMac. It's no coincidence that Hamonic played much better when paired with CdH rather than AMac too.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 10:22 AM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
idk, I still think trading Moulson a 1st and 2nd for a guy that they weren't going to make a serious run at signing was a mistake from the start. If they were willing to essentially give him a blank check then I would have been on board with the spirit of the trade.
Offering Vanek Several deals between 7/$50M and 7/$60M is not taking a serious run at him? I'm niether a Snow hater or a Snow defender but your Snow hate is really blinding you.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 10:28 AM
12Dog

Quote:
Better than Hickey and Strait? Probably right. Problem is, that still doesn't make Macdonald any good.

12Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 10:56 AM
nikonsniper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotteryForLife View Post
I hate to disappoint you but with a healthy Tavares, budding star in Okposo and young players like Strome, Nelson and de Haan on the rise, the Isles will likely rebound and be, at worst mediocre next year. The best you can hope for is the 10th-15th pick. You will get McDavid all by yourself with that sad sack roster
Dude has been in the NHL for seven years now and is only now playing like he was supposed to. Lets not pretend he is some rising commodity with room to grow.

nikonsniper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 11:17 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Some serious twisting of facts there. Included in those seven seasons, was a 9 game tryout, the lockout, and the year where he missed most of the season with that terrible injury. Hockeydb is your friend

And to say that he is only now doing what he should ignore that he had nice rookie and sophomore years.

He was horrible in the years following the injury.

02-27-2014, 11:20 AM
Helistin
Dustin's equilibrium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Some might think that strategy could backfire. There’s the possibility that either player could get hurt, with the Isles playing three games in the next four days, or that a prospective buyer could get tired of waiting and jump at another player available.[/I]
Of course it is going to backfire , it's the Islanders. Feel kinda bad for them , their fans deserve better.

Helistin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 11:25 AM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyFan View Post
Agreed. Lol, everyone in the world knows the isles needed a goalie more than an upgrade on wing. Everyone in the world but their GM knew.
Isles not about to give away Strome, Reinhart, Nelson to get him.... especially as UFA and especially given next season's UFA goalie class.

So guess what... Garth did right. (The only problem is that he actually made the Vanek deal. That alone backfired).

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 11:28 AM
nikonsniper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Some serious twisting of facts there. Included in those seven seasons, was a 9 game tryout, the lockout, and the year where he missed most of the season with that terrible injury. Hockeydb is your friend

And to say that he is only now doing what he should ignore that he had nice rookie and sophomore years.

He was horrible in the years following the injury.
To call a 26 yer old who had various issues and roadblocks over all these years a "budding star" is twisting the facts.

90% of the fanbase wanted him traded for years, and now he's the second coming.

nikonsniper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 11:30 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Seems like everything backfires on Snow, wouldn't be surprised if this did too. Everyone knows He has to trade Vanek and you'd think He's forced himself into trading AMac too. Normally teams kick the tires until they're forced to commit where they offer the most, but this situation, I wouldn't be waiting to the last moments when I'm already dealing from a point of weakness. If you're an experienced juggler, you can juggle with fire. He seems to be hell bent on moving over to standing in a puddle of gas while juggling with fire...and he's far from the most experienced juggler at the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
I feel bad for the Islanders, but I really want their 2015 overall to be McDavid or Eichel, SORRY ISLANDER FANS DONT HATE ME!!! After next season we can be friends.
Lets not forget Pavel Zacha.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 11:31 AM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
Offering Vanek Several deals between 7/$50M and 7/$60M is not taking a serious run at him? I'm niether a Snow hater or a Snow defender but your Snow hate is really blinding you.
more like "vanek-trade hate".

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 11:32 AM
And You Feel Shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonsniper View Post
To call a 26 yer old who had various issues and roadblocks over all these years a "budding star" is twisting the facts.

"90% of the fanbase" wants anyone traded the moment they are in a slump. The topic of trading Okposo became pretty prevalent last season, but again you're measuring stick is people here on hfboards. That's faulty to begin with.

And You Feel Shame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 11:35 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I don't see why being excited about KO after this season and last year's playoffs is so unrealistic. Kid appears to have put it all together. Still has a lot to prove but isles fans are right to feel positive about this player.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 11:43 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1311
Quote:
IMO, Islanders are making a mistake by trading MacDonald. He is a solid defenseman that deserves a raise. Maybe the Islanders should pay some high end guys instead of ditching them. Take one step forward followed up by taking three or four steps back. There are only two good blueliners on that roster and he is one of them.
Isles offered Vanek $7m per and AMac $4m per. Can they somehow force those players to accept?

And you clearly have not watched the isles this season or you would have seen the rookie CDH, outplay AMac, who despite racking up pp points has been erratic in his own end.
I would like AMac back at $3.5m per. Put him on the 2nd pairing. Not at $5m per

Last edited by CREW99AW: 02-27-2014 at 12:56 PM.
CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 11:49 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1311
Quote:

Surgery, a long rehab process and lack of confidence have been 25 yr old Okposo's stumbling blocks.

He has arguably been the isles most consistent player since March of 2013.

Yeah, I would call him a budding star, who has gotten his career back on track, after some unfortunate injuries, Last spring, Newsday reported Snow has gotten a lot of low ball offers that winter for Okposo. Clearly other teams also the potential and tried to buy low.

And when did fans start deciding who gets traded, who has value? I thought that was what actual NHL GMs did

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 12:41 PM
ledzep1212
COYB

Quote:
lol@the idea that Macdonald is better than Hickey

ledzep1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 12:43 PM
bigd

Quote:

Just goes to show that the fan base knows very little, esp about what goes on behind the scenes.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 12:46 PM
blinkman360
Vasilevskiy v2.0

Oddly enough, I'm not worried at all about this Vanek situation. He's a great player. Lots of teams in the playoff race. Not a ton of other options for teams, and IMO none as good as Vanek.

Not expecting some kind of Toffoli/Gibson return, but a 1st(hopefully 2015) and a solid prospect seems likely.

blinkman360 is online now   Reply With Quote