HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nikolai Kulemin likely to be traded.

Old
02-27-2014, 08:32 AM
Gavy

vCash: 500
ITT: people who don't watch Kulemin.
Can we also stop talking about him scoring 30 goals? He scored 30 because we didn't have many other talented players at that time so he got the ice time. We don't need him to do that now and his confidence is at an all time low for the past year - ish. Kulemin is a guy that you can put on any line and he won't look out of place. Including the top line. He can also play both wings and centre and is a guy you want on the ice with a 1 goal lead. Strong as a mack truck, really heavy shot and doesn't **** up. I really hope we don't trade him ever

Gavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 08:34 AM
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf

Noooo, don't leave, Kulie!

Also, Dave Bolland at $5M? That seems rather risky....

Spazmatic Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 08:38 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardiner Expressway View Post
Swap for Niskanen?

Something around Kulemin + Franson for Niskanen + Despres
So, we are trading away our top PMD right now and probably second best dman plus another Dman that will be needed to help replace Letang/Martin for a third line player we could get in the offseason as a free agent? Does that exactly make sense for Pittsburgh?

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 08:39 AM
stakesishigh
how swede it is

This makes me sad but it also makes sense and wouldn't surprise me in the least.

stakesishigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 08:40 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesa Awesaka View Post
How does a guy go from 16 goals to 30 to 7 lol? Just seems odd for a guy in the prime of his career.
insane shooting % to less than one shot per game ...he has a really nice shot, just never uses it ...if he was taking 3-4 shots per game he's an easy 20 goal player, but, he just almost never shoots ...the Kaberle of forwards.

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 08:41 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four1 Lead View Post
Niskanen is the most rational asset the Maple Leafs should ask for in exchange for Kulemin.

The value is also there for it to be a good hockey trade.

Only problem is that the Penguins are messed up with injuries on the blue line.

They won't move Niskanen unless they can improve their defence.

It's not rational for Toronto to ask for Niskanen in a deal that involves a third line player that isn't producing. Franson softens a blow a bit, but Pittsburgh would be getting seriously hosed by adding Despres. This isn't a good hockey trade. Injuries make Despres a no trade to begin with.

Old
02-27-2014, 08:42 AM
416Leafer

I'd love to get deadline deal sky-high value for a guy like Kulemin. He's a really solid 3rd line winger, but we're pretty loaded with bottom 6 prospects, and simply don't have the capspace going forward to keep everyone.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 08:42 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
Based on Shero's comments to the media recently it doesn't seem like he's interested in overpaying for anybody at the deadline this year.
Which I'm more then fine with. Like I said, I'd rather Shero make that move in the off season then now

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 08:43 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
I'd be interested in the following from pitsburgh

Despres
Poulliot
Harrington
Niskanen (unlikely )
I'm sorry, but none of those guys should be going in a deal for Kulemin. He doesn't have that value to get a high end prospect, or a guy like Niskanen. There isn't a match here between Toronto and Pittsburgh for Kulemin. It's dumb to trade for him when we could get him easily as a free agent in the offseason. Toronto fans need to stop jamming him down Pittsburgh's throats.

Old
02-27-2014, 08:45 AM
sd1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post
Let's see, his last three season he has played 166 games and he averages 11 goals, 23 assists and 34 points. He is also about to be a UFA and is not a veteran with a winning pedigree to forgive his work-a-day stats.

Dreger is totally trolling everybody to try and boost Kulemin's value for his beloved leafs. I am sure there is interest but I would be surprised if he gets more than a 3rd round pick for the kid.
Then you have no idea what you are talking about obviously. Kulemin may not be a point a game player, but he is a guy that can be a defensive conscience on a 2nd line with some decent offence or can play on a shutdown 3rd line and still provide some decent offence. There are plenty of 1st round (18-30 range) out there that could be had for a guy like that. Even a 2nd and a decent prospect.

sd1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 08:46 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
It's not rational for Toronto to ask for Niskanen in a deal that involves a third line player that isn't producing. Franson softens a blow a bit, but Pittsburgh would be getting seriously hosed by adding Despres. This isn't a good hockey trade. Injuries make Despres a no trade to begin with.
It's not rational for Toronto to ask for Niskanen period. He doesn't satisfy the Leafs needs and offers no material upgrade to our lineup.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 08:48 AM
Stu

Quote:
I'm sorry, but none of those guys should be going in a deal for Kulemin. He doesn't have that value to get a high end prospect, or a guy like Niskanen. There isn't a match here between Toronto and Pittsburgh for Kulemin. It's dumb to trade for him when we could get him easily as a free agent in the offseason. Toronto fans need to stop jamming him down Pittsburgh's throats.
The Kulemin to Pittsburgh conversation has been a 2-way street for some time now. Penguins fans know he would be a great complimentary player as he can play solid bottom 6 minutes on either the wing or center and also fill in as a top-6 winger if required. He is a player most Leafs fans (myself included) would love to see stick around if we can sign him to a reasonable amount. He's not flashy, just does his job very well every game. Would be an immediate fan favourite on any team that would be fortunate to acquire him.

Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 08:48 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0bjectiveC0mput0r View Post
Well no **** there's lucrative packages for such a player as Nikolai Kulemin.
He's only the most coveted forward heading towards the tantalizing NHL Trade Deadline, next Wednesday starting at 9:00am EST only on TSN and TSN2.
I like you

I'd love to see him on the Wings. Datsyuk wants a young Russian guy to mentor.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 08:49 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Thought the rumour was that Pittsburgh was interested... Either way, aside from the obvious those are the only guys i would be interested in for Kulemin. Doesnt mean its possible.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 08:49 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Which I'm more then fine with. Like I said, I'd rather Shero make that move in the off season then now

Shero needs to stand pat at the deadline and let the chips fall where they may. There are too many areas to fix; we lack cap room and assets. Don't make silly moves. Rework the roster in the offseason. You want Kulemin, sign him as a free agent and DON'T make a foolish attempt to trade for him. It makes zero sense.

Old
02-27-2014, 08:52 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
The Kulemin to Pittsburgh conversation has been a 2-way street for some time now. Penguins fans know he would be a great complimentary player as he can play solid bottom 6 minutes on either the wing or center and also fill in as a top-6 winger if required. He is a player most Leafs fans (myself included) would love to see stick around if we can sign him to a reasonable amount. He's not flashy, just does his job very well every game. Would be an immediate fan favourite on any team that would be fortunate to acquire him.
I don't think its the two-way street you say it is. Some Penguin fans want to make a trade for the sake of making one, even if it doesnt make sense. This idea makes zero sense. If Pittsburgh truly wants him, sign him in the offseason as a free agent and you don't have to trade away any assets that are noteable. Toronto fans ask for high end prospects, but he isn't worth that. He is a third line player, that doesn't produce and is a pending free agent. That to me isn't worth a high end guy.

Old
02-27-2014, 08:59 AM
Stu

Quote:
I don't think its the two-way street you say it is. Some Penguin fans want to make a trade for the sake of making one, even if it doesnt make sense. This idea makes zero sense. If Pittsburgh truly wants him, sign him in the offseason as a free agent and you don't have to trade away any assets that are noteable. Toronto fans ask for high end prospects, but he isn't worth that. He is a third line player, that doesn't produce and is a pending free agent. That to me isn't worth a high end guy.
Not even a remotely fair assessment of Kulemin. I would watch a few games first. Pending free agent or not, if Pittsburgh are interested in picking up a player of his caliber from an Eastern rival then it will cost more than a 3rd round pick or some garbage prospect (we have plenty of those). If not I am more than happy to keep him for a playoff run (we should be doing this regardless) and see what his decision is in July.

Old
02-27-2014, 08:59 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Because Dreger and Nonis are related? I scratch your back, you scratch mine aka you report Kulemin is getting lots of interest and getting good offers to try and get a good deal, I give you rumours to keep in business.

Is it a coincidence Dreger is the one who reports basically everything Leafs, but doesn't have a lick of a source on say, the Canucks, Flames or any other Canadian team?

Anyways, this is off-topic, so I'll leave it at that.
How does that even work?

Other GM: "Oh hey there Nonis buddy ol pal, how do you feel about that deal for Kulemin we talked about last week?"

Nonis: "Oh uh, this is awkward. Have you seen that tweet from TSN sportswriter Darren Dreger?"

Other GM: "Indeed I have not."

Nonis: "Well yeah, I'm uh, kind of looking for more now. It said so right in the tweet."

Other GM: "How incredibly amateur of me! Neal + Despres, final offer!"

*Nonis and Dreger high five*

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 09:00 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
I could see him fetch a late 2nd round pick and a B prospect.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 09:02 AM
ChesapeakeRipper
Dr. Hannibal Lecter

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailbox Head View Post
Dreger/Nonis connection strikes again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Nonis using Dreger to up value again.
why am i surprised that these are the top posts?

so what if he uses dreger? if you have an advantage, then you use it right? nothing wrong here...

ChesapeakeRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 09:03 AM
Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Not happening.

We don't need B prospects.
A 2nd round pick doesn't help us either.
We need a top 9 winger or a top 4 D.

We either package Kulemin up in a hockey trade to address our needs (which will obviously be extremely difficult), or we keep him. People ragged on the Leafs fans for years about some of our fans offering our garbage for solid players, my how the tables have turned.

Old
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
How? Why would NHL GMs up their offers for Kulemin after a report from Dreger?

NHL GM's never talk to one another and so Dave Nonis uses Daren Dreger(whom is married to Nonis second cousin, slick connection right?) to get the word out

All Gm's are now looking for a unmarried female second cousin to marry a hockey speculationist so they can have this fast, free and easy line of communication

hmmmmm I wonder what happens when Daves second cousin gets fed up with Dregers single minded maniacal attention to his career and being bobo's go-boy and serves him with divorce papers, do you think Dave will hook her up with Chris Johnston?

therealkoho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Would much rather keep him for the playoffs then. Unless it's a "hockey deal" that helps the Leafs in an area of need, there is zero sense in moving him. (Barring a can't refuse offer)

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 09:08 AM
gabeliscious

Quote:
i think at this point if thats what the return would be nonis would keep him for the playoffs and try and sign him in the off season.

i think at this point in kulemins career it is understood that he is a 3rd line player. while he might get overpaid as a ufa by a random team, i dont think he is going to get overpaid in the same way clarkson did.

i definitely dont see a contending team being able to overpay a 3rd line player. if that is the case i think kulemin will be able to get extended at a reasonable amount/term by the leafs

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 09:09 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Would much rather keep him for the playoffs then. Unless it's a "hockey deal" that helps the Leafs in an area of need, there is zero sense in moving him. (Barring a can't refuse offer)
well, that wouldnt be a 2nd and a b prospect now would it

We dont really need a roster player, as we have plenty that can fill that role (D'amigo is the ideal Kulemin replacement one day)

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote