HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leetch???

Closed Thread

Old
08-10-2005, 11:38 PM
nickyb

vCash: 500
Leetch???

Hey guys, a Bruins fan here, and I have to say that I am thrilled about having Leetch on the Bruins for at least this year. I am, in no way, creating this post to try and troll, I am just curious to get a detailed analysis of Leetch's game from you guys. Obviously you watched him for a tremendous amount of time and I know that some of you could tell me the ins and outs of his game, tendencies, strengths/weaknesses, etc. Anything you could provide me with that would not be evident to the causal eye would be great. Thanks in advance guys.

Old
08-10-2005, 11:49 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

He is one of the games greatest offensive defensmen ever. When you think hes into a night playing solid defense (which he is underrated at) hell suddenly pick up the puck behind the net make a nasty move, leaving the jock strap of some stupid looking forchecker on the ice. Then hell fly up through into the offensive zone and set up some kind of play in a flash. (i miss him). He is severely clutch. The bigger the game the more solid he plays. He comes up HUGE in overtimes. He can LOG minutes like goalies can. I think ive seen him out of breath once. once. i think.

Leetch is flat out a special player, his sight on the ice is phenomenal. Occasionally hell come up with a big check too, taking out someone with a sturdy hip check. Hes good on the boards. He acts as a glue for shorthanded situations. On many occasions he has taken control of a 5-3 DISadvantage, yes... a DISadvantage.. by blocking shots and/or being in impeccable position.
He quarterbacks the powerplay and has an accurate shot. his wrist shot in close is deadly. im sure youll see him make phenomenal break away passes this year... or accepting them if the bruins want to get really creative.

Yes, he may be a tad older, which might be a weakness. but i would take him back in a heartbeat, which is another thing he provides. Hes a quiet leader, who can become nasty if he has to.But he is so controlled, rarely takes bad penalties. He is a joy to watch skate. Hell do things no defenseman do. YOure in for a treat, so treat him well. OH one more thing.. HE WILL ALWAYS BE A RANGER.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 08-10-2005 at 11:56 PM.
Old
08-11-2005, 12:11 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
He's one of the best stickhandling dmen I ever seen. I seen him in games doing some Kovy like moves out there.

Old
08-11-2005, 12:12 AM
in the hall

a lot of people hate on him for whatever reason, bottom line is hes still a top pairing defenseman

he can skate, he has tremendous skill

his defense is average, really the only area hes dropped off a bit, his offense is still tops in the game, really, he's got tremendous instincts along with his skating and skill hes as good as any defenseman offensively

smart player too, his defense is not bad, hes smart enough to not hurt the team just don't expect him to clear the crease though he gets into it and be overly physical (well successfully)

Old
08-11-2005, 12:13 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

People say he plays no defense....well he does...hes 5x better then Gonchar is in his own zone.

Old
08-11-2005, 12:20 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
People say he plays no defense....well he does...hes 5x better then Gonchar is in his own zone.

Only non-ranger fans say that. People who never got to watch him block shots all over the place. He was always on top of the block shots list on the team. How do you not play defense and block the amount of shots he has?

Old
08-11-2005, 12:31 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27
Only non-ranger fans say that. People who never got to watch him block shots all over the place. He was always on top of the block shots list on the team. How do you not play defense and block the amount of shots he has?

I rememember when he blocked a Modin shot a few years back that put him on the injured list. Modin has a very heavy shot. Leetch has more heart and guts that most players in the NHL. Bruins can be down by 3-0 close to the end of the game, and Leetch will still give his body up for the team. He is dman that will be in the Hall Of Fame soon. With the open NHL, I expect, 10 goals, at least 60 assist for him. Bruins got a good team this year. Leetch will help their PP.

Old
08-11-2005, 12:54 AM
Shadowrunner

Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC
He is one of the games greatest offensive defensmen ever. When you think hes into a night playing solid defense (which he is underrated at) hell suddenly pick up the puck behind the net make a nasty move, leaving the jock strap of some stupid looking forchecker on the ice. Then hell fly up through into the offensive zone and set up some kind of play in a flash. (i miss him). He is severely clutch. The bigger the game the more solid he plays. He comes up HUGE in overtimes. He can LOG minutes like goalies can. I think ive seen him out of breath once. once. i think.

Leetch is flat out a special player, his sight on the ice is phenomenal. Occasionally hell come up with a big check too, taking out someone with a sturdy hip check. Hes good on the boards. He acts as a glue for shorthanded situations. On many occasions he has taken control of a 5-3 DISadvantage, yes... a DISadvantage.. by blocking shots and/or being in impeccable position.
He quarterbacks the powerplay and has an accurate shot. his wrist shot in close is deadly. im sure youll see him make phenomenal break away passes this year... or accepting them if the bruins want to get really creative.

Yes, he may be a tad older, which might be a weakness. but i would take him back in a heartbeat, which is another thing he provides. Hes a quiet leader, who can become nasty if he has to.But he is so controlled, rarely takes bad penalties. He is a joy to watch skate. Hell do things no defenseman do. YOure in for a treat, so treat him well. OH one more thing.. HE WILL ALWAYS BE A RANGER.

Old
08-11-2005, 02:05 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyb
Hey guys, a Bruins fan here, and I have to say that I am thrilled about having Leetch on the Bruins for at least this year. I am, in no way, creating this post to try and troll, I am just curious to get a detailed analysis of Leetch's game from you guys. Obviously you watched him for a tremendous amount of time and I know that some of you could tell me the ins and outs of his game, tendencies, strengths/weaknesses, etc. Anything you could provide me with that would not be evident to the causal eye would be great. Thanks in advance guys.
You'll feel like Ray Bourque is back in town.

Old
08-11-2005, 02:26 AM
eco's bones

He is older. He pretty much does everything well. You'll need to pair him with someone that can handle the front of the net as he has a size and strength issue.
He does make contact and is a good shot blocker. He tends to use his agility and anticipation to block off bigger stronger players--as he's gotten older that seems to not work always as well as it used to. Boynton would seem like a good choice for a partner. Opening up center ice might be tailor made for him. He's very quick at making decisions and an extremely accurate passer. Excellent on special teams.
He has a very modest personality--will cause no locker room strife. A team player.
A surefire HOF'er.

Old
08-11-2005, 09:25 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

The more I read and write about leetchy the more I miss him. It really sucks. This is gonna be the first year without the mainstay #2 on the ice. If someone wears number 2 this year they should have Sather hanged in the rafters, next to the spot were they retire it. That first Boston/Rangers game at the garden on Nov 20th is gonna be one hell of a ticket. Lets hope Sather does it up right for him.

Old
08-11-2005, 09:48 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Underrated defensively (or maybe I should say under appreciatted defensively). Deceptively strong. A great skater. Can play 30 minutes a night. Still a true #1 defenseman.

Oh yeah, I think he's going to be a Norris trophey candidate this season.

Old
08-11-2005, 09:53 AM
Jackson Ranger

He is everything people have said and I'd just like to add, I think he is one of the best at keeping the puck in at the blue line.

I'm going to miss Sam Rosen saying, "kept in at the point by Leetch...".

Old
08-11-2005, 09:57 AM
Fish

Let me add my two cents...

His offense has dropped off a bit in the last year or two, but he's still deadly on the power play...he likes to sneak in on the off-side for the cross ice pass, and he also has a nice slapper that he likes to tee up from the top of the circles.

His defense has dropped off more IMO, the difference in strength is starting to show...although to be honest part of that might have been to do with the Rangers playing him 26 minutes or so a night. He will block a lot of shots for you and he's smart with tying guys up despite size differentials, etc...just might get beaten a little more than he used to.

Old
08-11-2005, 10:48 AM
Phil333

As he got older, he made a few defensive lapses. But overall, he is a great two way D-man. Like others have said, he will give up his body for the team. And boy, can he move the puck out of the zone like no one else.

Old
08-11-2005, 12:18 PM
bcrt2000

I've just got to say, if Leetch wasn't behind a stinker from 98 to 2004 when he hit his prime, he would have had at least 2 more 70 point seasons, and maybe 1 more 80 point season. Its incredible that in 01 he was able to get 79 points. I guess Theo Fleury helped big time

Old
08-11-2005, 12:31 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger
He is everything people have said and I'd just like to add, I think he is one of the best at keeping the puck in at the blue line.

I'm going to miss Sam Rosen saying, "kept in at the point by Leetch...".

Oh thats one big point i forgot... Ill really miss hearing that too. wow.

Old
08-11-2005, 09:10 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

He also has a surprising effective hipcheck. There were countless times he would actually take an opposing attacker out of the play by crunching him into the boards with a hipcheck.

Old
08-11-2005, 09:26 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
I'll echo what Fish said regarding Leetch's D falling off. It might be due to all the injuries and age catching up. His body has been put through a lot. But man... Leetch never dogged it. He'd sacrifice his body to block a shot for the good of the team and risk injury.

And he'll always hustle back on D and try to break up odd-man rushes.

A tremendously skilled and smart player with unreal vision. He will find the seams springing players for breakaways with no two-line rule this season. A great PP QB. But he doesn't shoot as much as he used to. And he has a top heavy shot and can be pinpoint with it.

It's difficult to say how much he's got left. He needs to play a little more back now as opposed to when he could take so many chances and rely on his speed to recover.

Old
08-11-2005, 09:30 PM
Sicilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
You'll feel like Ray Bourque is back in town.
haha, i don't think they'll latch onto him quite the same way, but he is just as good as bourque was at controlling the puck at the blue line. he never panics, keeps control, and always makes a good play from the point. i seem him as being more of a rusher than bourque was, but not quite as physical or good defensively. in a wide open nhl he'll put up at least 60 pts even at his age, and if the bruins play even a smidgeon of a defensive system (like the rangers never have) he'll be a great top pairing defensive guy too, as he is smart and has a decent all around defensive game.

i miss leetch

Old
08-11-2005, 10:48 PM
chosen

Second best defenseman to ever wear a Ranger uniform.

Old
08-11-2005, 10:49 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
I rememember when he blocked a Modin shot a few years back that put him on the injured list. Modin has a very heavy shot. Leetch has more heart and guts that most players in the NHL. Bruins can be down by 3-0 close to the end of the game, and Leetch will still give his body up for the team. He is dman that will be in the Hall Of Fame soon. With the open NHL, I expect, 10 goals, at least 60 assist for him. Bruins got a good team this year. Leetch will help their PP.
is that the game he blocked the shot, broke his arm, played 3 more shifts blocking another shot then finally left the game

yes leetch is a gamer, thats another thing

Old
08-11-2005, 10:50 PM
shoothepuck

Words are not needed, #2 is #1, enjoy watching him play.

Old
08-11-2005, 10:51 PM
nyr5186

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen
Just curious to know who would be your first. Park?

Old
08-11-2005, 10:52 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen
yeah ok bud, #1 easily

Closed Thread