HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Parker update

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-30-2003, 03:01 PM
  #1
Ensane
EL GUAPO
 
Ensane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 15,404
vCash: 500
Parker update

Here's a coupla vids of him pummelling old school dance partner Garrett Burnett in a Sharks/Ducks preseason game.

:mad:

Ensane is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 03:02 PM
  #2
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chattanooga TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,509
vCash: 500
i see nothing, no links, no images...

Enoch is online now  
Old
09-30-2003, 03:12 PM
  #3
Aerolanche
Registered User
 
Aerolanche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,899
vCash: 500
I assume that Ensane is having the attachment problem...

Aerolanche is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 03:18 PM
  #4
Ensane
EL GUAPO
 
Ensane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 15,404
vCash: 500
Sorry boys, got ahead of myself. It's been a busy night here at school, and I still have almost 4 hours of it.

http://www.sjsharks.com/sharks2002/i...g_20030927.htm

Ensane is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 04:14 PM
  #5
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chattanooga TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,509
vCash: 500
holy crap he tears them up doesnt he......i really question the trade....worrel is an upgrade, but still....

Enoch is online now  
Old
09-30-2003, 04:33 PM
  #6
nathan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 855
vCash: 500
The most important reason is that Worrell can skate better, thus check better. I've never seen him play, but that seems to be the concensus.

Even though we all want the big 6 to have their ice time, if the Avs are blowing out a team or at worst have a 2 goal lead, then they would like to be able to roll out all 4 lines.

The purpose of that is keep everyone fresh and less likely to be injured. I think in that context, it may be a good thing.

When Parker was around, that just didn't happen. You just have to look at it this way, you can have someone whose really good at 1 thing (parker for fighting), or someone whose pretty good at 2 things (worrell for fighting and checking). Apparently, the Avs prefer the latter. Which makes sense somewhat.

nathan is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 05:28 PM
  #7
Yayo
 
Yayo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,938
vCash: 500
Hehe, watch Ricci spin to throw the puck out of the zone.

Twirling towards freedom...

Yayo is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 05:52 PM
  #8
andora
Registered User
 
andora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Illuminating Prince
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,025
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to andora
wow, that second one was just an insano match.. calm down guys and get your bearings..

first one he owned burnett.. just like always

andora is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 06:44 PM
  #9
Upchuck19
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 604
vCash: 500
Parker will make Lacoix eat his words. Scotty will eat up Worrell and it won't be pretty. Avs screwed up and didn't give him enough ice time, the Sharks will reap the rewards

Upchuck19 is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 06:49 PM
  #10
Zodiac
Registered User
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upchuck19
Parker will make Lacoix eat his words.
I don't agree.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Upchuck19
Scotty will eat up Worrell and it won't be pretty.

I don't agree.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Upchuck19
Avs screwed up and didn't give him enough ice time, the Sharks will reap the rewards.
I don't agree.



I'd take Worrell any day of the week over Parker ...and I'd bet the bank that any other team would too.

Zodiac is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 06:50 PM
  #11
Golden Foppa
Registered User
 
Golden Foppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 4,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upchuck19
Parker will make Lacoix eat his words. Scotty will eat up Worrell and it won't be pretty. Avs screwed up and didn't give him enough ice time, the Sharks will reap the rewards
I'm not sure which words you are refering to because Lacroix never spoke badly about Parker. As far as ice time goes, Hartley and Granato gave him every opportunity in the world, but he took idiotic penalties and forced them to keep him on the bench or scratch him.

Golden Foppa is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 07:22 PM
  #12
DarioinDenver
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,669
vCash: 500
I for one am glad I don't have to hear about how the coaching staff spent extra time with Parker after practice to improve his skating. Other than that I have nothing bad to say about Parker, he's really a good guy and a very good fighter. He simply can be a liability as a skater.

The Avalanche need to take a clue from San Jose on their web page content, that's for sure.

DarioinDenver is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 07:37 PM
  #13
Hordichuk_24
Registered User
 
Hordichuk_24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upchuck19
Parker will make Lacoix eat his words. Scotty will eat up Worrell and it won't be pretty. Avs screwed up and didn't give him enough ice time, the Sharks will reap the rewards
I agree. Parker is a better fighter than Worrell. He always has been. But there isn't any need to argue that now. We'll just wait until they go at it this season.

Hordichuk_24 is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 08:05 PM
  #14
PatrickRoy33
Registered User
 
PatrickRoy33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Largo, Florida
Posts: 646
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to PatrickRoy33 Send a message via AIM to PatrickRoy33 Send a message via MSN to PatrickRoy33 Send a message via Yahoo to PatrickRoy33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordichuk_24
I agree. Parker is a better fighter than Worrell. He always has been. But there isn't any need to argue that now. We'll just wait until they go at it this season.
What has Parker EVER done to warrant being better than Worrell? I've got 5 hours on Parker and about 2-3 on Worrell, and have yet to find it....

Parker has one or 2 fights in his career that stick out , his one punch of Grimson (but Parker lost to Grimson in the rematch in the same game), his one punch that broke the nose of Steve Mclaren when Parker was in Hershey (though many believe punch stat wise, McLaren won that fight) other than that, a TKO of an out of season Oliwa is the only other win that stands out in his favor against the heavys, you can throw in the win vs VandenBussche for good measure....Parker has been beaten or drawn by the majority of the heavys though, including a pair of bad showings vs Jean-Luc Grand-Pierre, in which Parker got cut in both fights, a knocked down by Matt Johnson, a couple bad showing vs Brashear, and a loss in the 2nd fight vs Worrell in which Parker was cut.

Granted, there aren't alot of definitive wins over Worrells career either, but to name a few....Ray got popped pretty good a few times in their fight, he beat McKenzie, Chara, Colin White a couple times, but again, like Parker, nothing impressive, the diffrnce between the 2 is their losses....Worrell has one to Langdon (when Worrells thumb was injured) and couple of decisions to Shelley, Chara, and Grimson.

Both were dominant in juniors and the minors, but neither has come close to claiming the title....lump them in with Laraque and Brashear as heavyweights that just don't get the job done enough to be crowned champ....

PatrickRoy33 is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 08:11 PM
  #15
nathan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordichuk_24
I agree. Parker is a better fighter than Worrell. He always has been. But there isn't any need to argue that now. We'll just wait until they go at it this season.
Possibly on Saturday! Argh!!!! Wish THAT was on TV.

If they both are dressed, YOU KNOW IT'S ON

nathan is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 08:19 PM
  #16
Hordichuk_24
Registered User
 
Hordichuk_24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRoy33
What has Parker EVER done to warrant being better than Worrell?
Have you watched any of Parker in minors?? That alone is enough. And before you say it, yes I know there is a big difference between the minors and the NHL. But Parker totally dominated the minors unlike any fighter in the past decade or so. Worrell isn't as good of a fighter as people say he is. The reason Worrell wins a majority of his fights is because of his size. He actually uses it unlike most big enforcers. He doesn't have much punching power at all. In fact he is known by a lot of fight fans as a "pillow puncher". Parker has one of the hardest punches in the NHL. Worrell is obviously a better overall player than Parker. But I would take Scott on my team anyday over Worrell.

Hordichuk_24 is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 08:20 PM
  #17
Hordichuk_24
Registered User
 
Hordichuk_24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan
Possibly on Saturday! Argh!!!! Wish THAT was on TV.

If they both are dressed, YOU KNOW IT'S ON
For sure.

And for the record, I have nothing against Worrell. I just like Parker more. When they do finally go at it, it should be a dandy.

Hordichuk_24 is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 08:26 PM
  #18
PatrickRoy33
Registered User
 
PatrickRoy33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Largo, Florida
Posts: 646
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to PatrickRoy33 Send a message via AIM to PatrickRoy33 Send a message via MSN to PatrickRoy33 Send a message via Yahoo to PatrickRoy33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordichuk_24
Have you watched any of Parker in minors?? That alone is enough. And before you say it, yes I know there is a big difference between the minors and the NHL. But Parker totally dominated the minors unlike any fighter in the past decade or so. Worrell isn't as good of a fighter as people say he is. The reason Worrell wins a majority of his fights is because of his size. He actually uses it unlike most big enforcers. He doesn't have much punching power at all. In fact he is known by a lot of fight fans as a "pillow puncher". Parker has one of the hardest punches in the NHL. Worrell is obviously a better overall player than Parker. But I would take Scott on my team anyday over Worrell.
You must mean Juniors, because he only spent a year and a half in the minors....but yes, I have the tapes from a personal friend of Scott's, and have all his fights from juniors to Devils TC, to minors, to Av's up til about the Johnson fight....

I beg to differ on Worrell, as in the tape I have he does pretty good power wise, but again, it's not a point i'd argue strongly with Peter being from the Q and Parker being from the Dub....

Parker has one or 2 fights in his career that stick out , his one punch of Grimson (but Parker lost to Grimson in the rematch in the same game), his one punch that broke the nose of Steve Mclaren when Parker was in Hershey (though many believe punch stat wise, McLaren won that fight) other than that, a TKO of an out of season Oliwa is the only other win that stands out in his favor against the heavys, you can throw in the win vs VandenBussche for good measure....Parker has been beaten or drawn by the majority of the heavys though, including a pair of bad showings vs Jean-Luc Grand-Pierre, in which Parker got cut in both fights, a knocked down by Matt Johnson, a couple bad showing vs Brashear, and a loss in the 2nd fight vs Worrell in which Parker was cut.

Granted, there aren't alot of definitive wins over Worrells career either, but to name a few....Ray got popped pretty good a few times in their fight, he beat McKenzie, Chara, Colin White a couple times, but again, like Parker, nothing impressive, the diffrnce between the 2 is their losses....Worrell has one to Langdon (when Worrells thumb was injured) and couple of decisions to Shelley, Chara, and Grimson.

Both were dominant in juniors and the minors, but neither has come close to claiming the title....lump them in with Laraque and Brashear as heavyweights that just don't get the job done enough to be crowned champ....

PatrickRoy33 is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 08:44 PM
  #19
Hordichuk_24
Registered User
 
Hordichuk_24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,391
vCash: 500
Yes, I meant juniors. I could've sworn I said that. Either way, you understand where I am coming from. And it sounds like you have the same exact tapes I have. So we're on the same page here.

I am not trying to say Worrell is a bad fighter because he isn't. But the guy just wasn't as dominating at Parker was. And personally I don't feel that was a fluke. I think a change of scenery is exactly what Parker needs to light some fire under his ass. I think a motivated Parker would beat Worrell.

I don't remember Worrell losing much before he got into the NHL. Although I do recall Laraque beating him quite decisively.

Don't get me wrong either. I was not trying to crown either one of them "champ". Both of them are far away from being anywhere near "champ".

Hordichuk_24 is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 08:54 PM
  #20
Ensane
EL GUAPO
 
Ensane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 15,404
vCash: 500
Well there hasn't been a real champ in the NHL since the Twister. Laraque could probably get it, but he's too uninterested and really doesn't strike fear in the hearts of ... anyone; he's too nice.

Parker vs. Worrell? Well, hmm. I'd take Parker over Petey, but it's very close IMO. I believe they've fought twice, the first one I saw, Parker got the win with a nice switchup move.

PR33: Forgot the Nazarov fight where Parker dropped him, picked him up again, and "re-dropped" him. Or the Vandy fight where Parker just kept firing rights busting him open?

True, Parker hasn't had much MAJOR success against the other top heavies, but then again, he really never got a chance to show himself. In all the fights agaisnt Worrell, Laraque, or Brashear however, no one really had a major victory. Plus, he hasn't fought any of them for quite a while. In a sense, he WAS misused as an Av as he never had a chance to take part in the great heavyweight rivalry type situations that you saw 5+ years ago with many teams.

Ensane is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 09:21 PM
  #21
Hordichuk_24
Registered User
 
Hordichuk_24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,391
vCash: 500
Yeah, Parker and Worrell fought back in 2000. Worrell got the win. I haven't watched that tape in awhile, but I believe Parker was cut.

Nonetheless, I would still put my money on Parker. Regardless, we'll find out soon enough. I predict they will meet several times this season.

Hordichuk_24 is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 09:32 PM
  #22
PatrickRoy33
Registered User
 
PatrickRoy33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Largo, Florida
Posts: 646
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to PatrickRoy33 Send a message via AIM to PatrickRoy33 Send a message via MSN to PatrickRoy33 Send a message via Yahoo to PatrickRoy33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane
Well there hasn't been a real champ in the NHL since the Twister. Laraque could probably get it, but he's too uninterested and really doesn't strike fear in the hearts of ... anyone; he's too nice.
Even when Twister was champ, it was by default....the big heavies were on the way out, and there were no young guns coming up....

Quote:
Parker vs. Worrell? Well, hmm. I'd take Parker over Petey, but it's very close IMO. I believe they've fought twice, the first one I saw, Parker got the win with a nice switchup move.
I'll give Parker the decision, but not a clear win, but in the 2nd fight, Worrell won, and cut Parker as well.


Quote:
PR33: Forgot the Nazarov fight where Parker dropped him, picked him up again, and "re-dropped" him. Or the Vandy fight where Parker just kept firing rights busting him open?
Didn't forget the Nazarov fight, as I don't consider him as anything more than a big guy that fights....Oliwa has KO'd him as well....and I did mention the Vandy fight....


Quote:
True, Parker hasn't had much MAJOR success against the other top heavies, but then again, he really never got a chance to show himself. In all the fights agaisnt Worrell, Laraque, or Brashear however, no one really had a major victory. Plus, he hasn't fought any of them for quite a while. In a sense, he WAS misused as an Av as he never had a chance to take part in the great heavyweight rivalry type situations that you saw 5+ years ago with many teams.
I don't necessarily think he was MISUSED, I just think they found out he didn't fit into their system....San Jose is alot slower paced team, and he'll keep up with them more, whereas Colorado was too fast a system, AND he didn't have the ability to compensate for that, but Worrell has proved to be more than just a fighter, as he's learned to skate (a little) and has a pretty decent checking game....

PatrickRoy33 is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 09:35 PM
  #23
PatrickRoy33
Registered User
 
PatrickRoy33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Largo, Florida
Posts: 646
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to PatrickRoy33 Send a message via AIM to PatrickRoy33 Send a message via MSN to PatrickRoy33 Send a message via Yahoo to PatrickRoy33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordichuk_24
I am not trying to say Worrell is a bad fighter because he isn't. But the guy just wasn't as dominating at Parker was. And personally I don't feel that was a fluke. I think a change of scenery is exactly what Parker needs to light some fire under his ass. I think a motivated Parker would beat Worrell.
The question is, has anyone seen a motivated Worrell yet?

Quote:
Don't get me wrong either. I was not trying to crown either one of them "champ". Both of them are far away from being anywhere near "champ".
Didn't mean to imply you were, was just stating that todays heavys are very easily overrated....

PatrickRoy33 is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 09:37 PM
  #24
Ensane
EL GUAPO
 
Ensane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 15,404
vCash: 500
I say he was misused, because he was. If another team's tough guy was roughing up soem of the softer skilled Avs forwards, Parker rode the pine. If a challenge during a heated rivalry matchup was thrown, Parker was told to avoid a fight. I'm sorry, but I can understand people taking Worrell over Parker for being a better hockey player, but don't tell me that Granato and mainly Hartley used him properly as an enforcer even. Because they didn't.

Ensane is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 09:42 PM
  #25
hoserthehorrible
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 660
vCash: 500
Parker and Worrell are both good fighters and whether or not Parker is a slightly better fighter makes very little difference.

Enforcers need to do more than simply fight to be effective. They also need to be able to punish people with big body checks. They need to be able to skate well enough so they are actually in the play in order to agitate the opponent. They also need to be able to play the game of hockey well enough so they aren't a liability so they can actually get enough minutes to do their job.

Parker could fight, very well. That was it. He rarely body checked anybody because he either couldn't catch them or because most everyone could easily avoid him. He was a gentleman's fighter who rarely agitated anybody. And he was a huge liability which limited his ice time thus severely limiting his ability to actually enforce anything.

Worrell on the other hand will lay out thunderous hits on opponents and he'll also agitate the hell out of people. He'll draw some penalties or at least take someone with him when he goes to the box. He won't score much but he can at least skate and play hockey well enough to get more than the 1 - 2 minutes a game that Parker got. And yes, he can fight some too.

Parker may in fact be a slightly better fighter but Worrell is clearly a better enforcer.

hoserthehorrible is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.