Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
Stop lying.

You don't have friends.

Old
02-28-2014, 12:28 AM
Gm0ney

vCash: 500
Most of the guys haven't played a game in 3 weeks so the game was a little weird. Jokinen must be a bit jet-lagged still - he just got home a couple of nights ago. Frolik and Pavs got back a bit earlier and looked pretty good.

I thought the Jets played well and Pavelec was on his game. We were really dominating until the refs stepped in to straighten things out in the 3rd. That was particularly uninspiring officiating tonight.

Anyway, I'm happy with the 2 points. Wish it could've been in regulation, but hey.

BTW: Forgot to wear a jersey to the game tonight - first time since Season 1 when jerseys were hard to come by for the first few weeks there.

Old
02-28-2014, 12:33 AM
troubabooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
I think everyone knows or should know that it isn't that Pavelec can have a great game, its that he can't seem to string together a great stretch of games
right on bro - 2-3 good games like this followed by a couple where he has an 85% save percentage and lets in two softies.

Old
02-28-2014, 12:38 AM
troubabooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Jets now 10-3-1 in the last 14 under Maurice.

Keep that pace up over the next 21 games ..... dang they get nosed out for the playoffs by 2 points

Old
02-28-2014, 12:38 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor
#FreeHutch

Solid win in a tight game. Too bad the Jets couldn't have taken it in regulation, but the bottom line is that they got the 2 points. Besides, I think Phoenix is going to experience some hardcore regression in the next month and a half, I have no idea how they're six games above 0.500. Most of their underlying numbers are pretty mediocre, you can only go so far riding a hot PP and some ok goaltending.

Blake Wheeler is a bawse.

Old
02-28-2014, 12:39 AM
Whileee

A pretty scrambly game overall. I thought the Jets effort was good, but they weren't sharp with the puck. KSW looks like it is going to be tough to handle. I loved the play by Scheifele to set up Kane in the dying seconds of regulation.

Trouba was involved, but seemed a bit rusty. Bogo was strong defensively with Enstrom again. I thought Stuart had a strong and steady game.

Strong game by Pavs.

Smith overplays the puck - he iced it a couple of times and both times the Jets almost scored and hemmed the Coyotes in.

Did Ribeiro even play except on the PP? Doan had one or two decent shifts, but that was all. I doubt that the Coyotes are going to feel good about those two contracts for very long.

OEL is terrific. Yandle is good too.

Buff is wasted on LW on the third line. They need to move him back to D or trade him.

Old
02-28-2014, 12:42 AM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

vCash: 264
Agree with those who thought we were terrible that 4-on-4 in OT. Which is surprising because we're usually quite decent. Couldn't get anything going.

Old
02-28-2014, 12:45 AM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Go cuddle up with a spread sheet. Nerd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Solid win in a tight game. Too bad the Jets couldn't have taken it in regulation, but the bottom line is that they got the 2 points. Besides, I think Phoenix is going to experience some hardcore regression in the next month and a half, I have no idea how they're six games above 0.500. Most of their underlying numbers are pretty mediocre, you can only go so far riding a hot PP and some ok goaltending.

Blake Wheeler is a bawse.
He looked like such a dreamboat tonight.

Old
02-28-2014, 12:46 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor
#FreeHutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubabooster View Post
Keep that pace up over the next 21 games ..... dang they get nosed out for the playoffs by 2 points
That pace over the next 21 games = 95/96 points. I'd be pretty surprised if that wasn't enough to get in.

Old
02-28-2014, 12:48 AM
AlphaLackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbofan View Post
I know a lot of people hate the shootout, and the hockey purist part of me hates it too. But I have to admit, every single shootout I'm standing, walking around the room, or almost-can't-look like Evander Kane was doing. They're so freaking tense.
Remember the game on Hallowe'en 2011 between the Jets and the Panthers? The one where the Jets tied it up with a minute left on a goal by Kane that was under review for an eternity? Then after the Panthers hit two posts in OT, the Jets got 2/3 in the SO and won?

What I'm saying is, I KNOW THEY'RE FREAKIN' TENSE!

PS it was a great Hallowe'en. Went to the pay window, found an African-American fellow dressed as T-Pain, who thought I was actually in a "Kevin Smith costume" (i.e. fat white guy in a hockey jersey with a beard), he expressed his awe that "some Canadian cracker was the first guy to recognize him", I pointed out "IT'S. HARD. TO. TELL. WHEN. YOUR. AUTO-TUNE. IS. OFF." and we and his two fine honeys partied the night away.

Old
02-28-2014, 12:48 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

This was my first game under PoMo tracking exits/entries. Some notes:

Carries
* Jets under PoMo is VERY different
* only 12 dump entries by forwards, mostly in the 3rd period and only 4 were puck possession loses
* Frolik had 7 carry/pass entries which is normally reserved for Kane/Wheeler levels
* The 4th line never failed an entry
* Jets forwards only had 3 carry fails
*Enstrom-Bogo played well in entries, and the second pair was decent
* Jets 3rd pair should probably dump more often than they did... they are not exactly as skilled with the puck as Enstrom, Bogosian and Trouba

Exits
* Jets forwards did well in support and didn't have many possession loses... except one Scheifele (hopefully just a bad game)
* Enstrom and Bogosian had GREAT d-zone games today
* Stuart had a very very good 1st and 2nd period, but spontaneously imploded in the 3rd some reason. He does seem to do much better here since he is doing a lot less of the chip out plays.
* Jets 3rd pair struggled here... bad. The two are good but I would like a puck mover instead of both of the safe guys.

Overall (diff of Noel and PoMo)
WAY less dump ins, which is mostly good (see comment on 3rd pair for entries)
WAY less chip outs, which is mostly good since something like 90% of the time it ends up back in your zone or icing
More puck support for d-men
Third pair had some issues

Note:
I only track for 5v5 moments where neither team is attempting a line change

Last edited by garret9: 02-28-2014 at 12:55 AM.
Old
02-28-2014, 12:58 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 50
Ellerby and Pardy were one dip from crashing into a mountain. I saw Kane blow a tire in the DZ in the 3rd and managed to drag the puck to Ellerby (or Pardy, can't remember), only to have him be soft on the pass behind the net and cause a turnover.

Old
02-28-2014, 01:06 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
Ellerby and Pardy were one dip from crashing into a mountain. I saw Kane blow a tire in the DZ in the 3rd and managed to drag the puck to Ellerby (or Pardy, can't remember), only to have him be soft on the pass behind the net and cause a turnover.
Yup... Ellerby can skate fast but he seems to think slow.

Pardy has irrational confidence with the puck.

Old
02-28-2014, 01:07 AM
scelaton

I was sitting close to the Jets bench tonight, so had a chance to zoom in on Pavelec and the defence for 2+ periods. Pavs looked rock solid for the most part, confident, sound positionally, holding them in when Phoenix was pressing and sealing it for them in the SO. Hard to argue with his 8-3 record since PM took over.
Phoenix is a big, grinding team and they were winning a lot of battles on the boards but there were no egregious defensive turnovers leading to goals. In fact, in an unusual turn of events, we were the recipients of the free pizzas and soft goals. So, as ineffectual as Buff sometimes looks playing F, messing with a winning formula seems not the right thing to do.

Last edited by scelaton: 02-28-2014 at 01:41 AM.
Old
02-28-2014, 01:14 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor
#FreeHutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
I hate that pairing so much. And that play you're talking about made me want to curl up into the fetal position.

Neither one is a terrible player, but they don't have even remotely complementary skill sets. They look like some bottom pairing you would've seen in the 90s when you could clutch and grab and water-ski on guys for 20 feet.

Old
02-28-2014, 01:20 AM
Kamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
its games like this that come around once every month or so that give pavs lovers ability to point at a handful of games and say 'see!? thats the REAL pavelec'

colour me unimpressed. a blind squirrel finds a nut here and there. do it on a consistent basis.

on the other hand, vital 2 points. glad we got 'em
Wow.... just wow....

Stop the blind hate for pavelec and just admit he played well tonight, that's it, no need for the unnecessary bashing of not only a goalie who played pretty good but also other fans on this forum.

Old
02-28-2014, 01:35 AM
AlphaLackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamo View Post
Wow.... just wow....

Stop the blind hate for pavelec and just admit he played well tonight, that's it, no need for the unnecessary bashing of not only a goalie who played pretty good but also other fans on this forum.
I'm in the "buyout Pavs" camp myself and even I have to admit that, in this game, he played above-league-average in regulation and very good in the SO. Add me to the group that thinks the SO brings out the best and attenuates the worst of Pavs.

Old
02-28-2014, 02:28 AM
Snot Rocket
HF anti-tank squad

vCash: 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by scelaton View Post
I was sitting close to the Jets bench tonight, so had a chance to zoom in on Pavelec and the defence for 2+ periods. Pavs looked rock solid for the most part, confident, sound positionally, holding them in when Phoenix was pressing and sealing it for them in the SO. Hard to argue with his 8-3 record since PM took over.
Phoenix is a big, grinding team and they were winning a lot of battles on the boards but there were no egregious defensive turnovers leading to goals. In fact, in an unusual turn of events, we were the recipients of the free pizzas and soft goals. So, as ineffectual as Buff sometimes looks playing F, messing with a winning formula seems not the right thing to do.
The first goal was precipitated by Pardy serving a hot turnover/give away pie that kept the pressure in the DZ...that is Pardy's mistake to own.
Someone said Pav should have had that first goal, but it was labeled and it was screened. Had Pardy done his job and not screwed the pooch on that pass/play, it would not be an issue as the play would have moved as it should to the OZ. Rewatch the 30 seconds leading to the goal and you can see it develop.

Last edited by Snot Rocket: 02-28-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old
02-28-2014, 02:57 AM
Evil Little

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
OEL is terrific.
Was terrific. Until Thorburn manslaughtered him.

Old
02-28-2014, 03:04 AM
ICdave
HFB Partner

Game recaps, post-game audio, video highlights and 3 Stars of the night.

Click here.

Old
02-28-2014, 04:17 AM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 2252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snot Rocket View Post
The first goal was precipitated by Pardy serving a hot turnover/give away pie that let the kept the pressure in the DZ...that is Pardy's mistake to own.
Someone said Pav should have had that first goal, but it was labeled and it was screened. Had Pardy done his job and not screwed the pooch on that pass/play, it would not be an issue as the play would have moved as it should to the OZ. Rewatch the 30 seconds leading to the goal and you can see it develop.
Totally nitpicking, but..
a) pretty sure the shot wasn't screened. There were bodies in front, but Pavelec appeared to have a very good look at it.
b) While I agree that turnovers aren't good they don't absolve the goaltender from doing his job. Shouldn't matter to the goalie how the chance is created (turnover, transition, cycle, etc.) his job is to stop pucks.

Old
02-28-2014, 05:16 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response

vCash: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by troubabooster View Post
It'll be close - right now the Canucks, Stars, Coyotes, Nashville and Winnipeg are all performing at about the same pace. If they keep up this pace, they'll finish with around 94/95 points. Playoff line will be somewhere between 93 and 96.

Should be exciting.

Old
02-28-2014, 06:56 AM
HannuJ

vCash: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
And I said it last time these teams met, can't stand Smith. He is a crybaby in every game and should not have made team Canada over Fleury.
if we were offered Smith in a trade, i'd take him in a heartbeat.

Old
02-28-2014, 07:15 AM
Jet
Stand by your man

vCash: 50
I don't see Pardy and Ellerby being quite the trainwreck as others here -- they are a 3rd pairing and are going to make mistakes. I would however prefer to see Ellerby play with Trouba and maybe Clitsome or Postma in the bottom pair with Pardy. I think there is way more balance there.

It makes more sense than ever to deal Mark Stuart but the team has such a woody for him I just don't see it happening. I hope to god they don't resign him. We have too many guys waiting to get into the lineup on a regular basis. Redmond and Postma (I'd bet one of them will be traded) and you have to figure that Morrisey is going to be banging down the door very shortly.

I do believe Ellerby and Pardy each need a little 'help' to reduce the amount of errors they make but I still see a lot to like when I watch Ellerby play.