Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2014, 10:10 AM
ps241
It's closing time.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Hey what happened to the Jets pressure on the PK? They were back in the passive box last night and I thought they'd moved to a more aggressive puck-pressure system?

Also, I agree with whoever pointed out that the team didn't look great 4-on-4 throughout the game.
Good post and also I was a bit disappointed they went back to Ladd Little Wheeler (instead of Olli) on the 1st PP unit. I really liked the Scheif, Wheeler, Seto (I assume Kane now), Trouba, Bogo 2nd unit.

Old
02-28-2014, 10:21 AM
AlphaLackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbofan View Post
Nice haul, $1400 bucks. Good job.
I apparently vaulted over my chair and ran squealing to the pay window (or as I styled it, "DA PAY WINDUH!"). I would like to reiterate that as I'm close to 300#, I don't even vault out of bed. Amazing what a long, protracted shot of adrenalin will do. The funny part was, an NFL football game had started and so the whole rest of the sports book was out of sync with this one guy staring and cheering at one TV. Surreal.

Currently undefeated (2-0-0) with three-digit bets on Jets in individual games. I'm surprised Bayek hasn't brought this up yet

But yeah.. that shootout.. $1410 in swings on a coin flip? Or that goal review.. after they showed the fifth replay or so, I was like Evander Kane. Just couldn't look.

Old
02-28-2014, 10:25 AM
Howard Chuck
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
Dude, it's 9am...
LOL, I should clarify..... While yyz was doing his analysis during the game, I was having a big glass of wine.

I realize how that sounds now

Old
02-28-2014, 10:43 AM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Chuck View Post
LOL, I should clarify..... While yyz was doing his analysis during the game, I was having a big glass of wine.

I realize how that sounds now
It's only alcoholism if someone is there to judge you.

Old
02-28-2014, 10:51 AM
Jimby
Reformed Optimist

Great post. I especially agree with the bolded part!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Chuck View Post
I missed the first period, but my thoughts from last night:

My God this KSW line.... just wait until they get some games under their collective belts. They are simply amazing together.

Scheif is becoming so good at everything now. He plays a great two way game, his skating is so much better, his hands, his speed, his IQ, and now he's crashing into the dirty areas and coming out with the puck!

I thought of PMo's quote about seeing Trouba in front of the opposing team's net and loving it.... Saw a lot of that tonight. Only a matter of time before he becomes completely dominant imo.

Kane is happy to be back, you can just see it. It's hard not to love someone with so much passion for the game, but he has to stop with the fighting. He simply too valuable to lose to another hand injury.

Frolic is so fun to watch, I love his game especially with Little. Ladd is a little invisible sometimes.

I think everyone can agree that Pavs had a great game last night

The biggest overall difference I see in the team is that many of them have had their reins loosened. I love hearing PMo talking about players and saying he wants them play the team game, but he doesn't want them to stop being what makes them great. Noel always seemed to be stifiling a bunch of them. **Wonder how a certain KHL player would do here now?***

Anyway, win or lose, the Jets are very enjoyable to watch and should only get better from here on in.

Old
02-28-2014, 10:56 AM
Bristo

I'm starting to want to keep Stuart around in a 5-6 role. Wonder if he would be down with that? Find someone for the 4 spot in FA/prospects and keep him for depth? Really liked his game yesterday.

Old
02-28-2014, 10:57 AM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogistewart View Post
Redmond's a UFA this offseason, i think. so count him out of the plans.
we should probably accept that Postma and Redmond are nothing more than 5-7 D on this team and therefore are interchangeable with other players. not sure if i'll shed tears if either of them is lost.

Stuart's getting $1.7 mil this year. thinking he can get $2 mil/year x 2 years on the open market. in that case, he should move on. after all, that's Grant Clitsome money.

*edit* my god, i just looked at the roster for next year and we'll lose 4 regular forwards and Halischuk. i assume Frolik will be re-signed, but there's definitely room for Petan and some dubious FA signings to make the team.
Ellerby and Pardy are both a step up from Postma and Redmond on D, Clitsome should grab of the 5-6 spots next season and with Morrisey or a UFA pickup even Ellerby and Pardy may be gone.

Old
02-28-2014, 11:00 AM
Howard Chuck
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Ellerby and Pardy are both a step up from Postma and Redmond on D, Clitsome should grab of the 5-6 spots next season and with Morrisey or a UFA pickup even Ellerby and Pardy may be gone.
Interesting how our roster is slowly but surely improving.

Old
02-28-2014, 11:00 AM
Bristo

You know, one thing I noticed just now thinking about it is Buff was a monster last night. Aside from the throwing-the-stick thing, there was no moment where I feared while he had the puck. I'm loving him at F.

Old
02-28-2014, 11:13 AM
seasontixholder*

Stuart was interviewed a little while back and said he wants a contract from the Jets. Chances are he'll take a hometown discount to stay. I would bet he will be a Jet for a few more years. I have no problem with that. I think he is better than Clitsome.

Old
02-28-2014, 11:43 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

I am one of the first ones to point out the ineffectiveness of Stuart relative to how his praises are sung by some media members... but...

IF he is used as a #6
AND the 5 in front of him deserve to be
(need both not just one of those two points)

I'm fine with re-signing him although there are others I'd prefer.

Still wish we had a better #4.

Old
02-28-2014, 11:52 AM
buggs
A storm is coming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasontixholder View Post
Stuart was interviewed a little while back and said he wants a contract from the Jets. Chances are he'll take a hometown discount to stay. I would bet he will be a Jet for a few more years. I have no problem with that. I think he is better than Clitsome.
Respectfully, what interview? All I've ever seen evidence of was a tweet from Lawless. Nothing more. I'm assuming Lawless got it in conversation, but really, what would Stuart say? I hate this frozen wasteland and can't wait to get out of here? Not likely.

I'd love to see something concrete to the effect that he'll take a hometown discount, but I've seen nothing of the sort.

Old
02-28-2014, 11:58 AM
Flair Hay

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
I am one of the first ones to point out the ineffectiveness of Stuart relative to how his praises are sung by some media members... but...

IF he is used as a #6
AND the 5 in front of him deserve to be
(need both not just one of those two points)

I'm fine with re-signing him although there are others I'd prefer.

Still wish we had a better #4.
Great post garret. He needs an adept puck moving guy to carry him in the transition/breakout game. It's why he's looked so much better with Trouba, even with the tougher minutes.

Has Postma shown enough to be relied on as a #5 next season? I'm not sure what the best duo of Clitty, Postma, Ellerbe, Pardy and Redmond is. If the last two even come back.

Old
02-28-2014, 11:59 AM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs View Post
Respectfully, what interview? All I've ever seen evidence of was a tweet from Lawless. Nothing more. I'm assuming Lawless got it in conversation, but really, what would Stuart say? I hate this frozen wasteland and can't wait to get out of here? Not likely.

I'd love to see something concrete to the effect that he'll take a hometown discount, but I've seen nothing of the sort.
Lawless has now transferred his love from Noel to Stuart, who next?

Old
02-28-2014, 12:07 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs View Post

I heard the interview with Stuart - he did say he'd like to sign here. Hometown discount? That was never mentioned - he'd be silly to, obviously, but he definitely expressed the wish to re-sign. Says he likes it here.

Can't remember who did the interview, but I'll see if I can dig it up.

Last edited by YWGinYYZ: 02-28-2014 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Re-sign, not resign
Old
02-28-2014, 12:56 PM
tbcwpg

If Jokinen would take less money than he is now, say 2.5 million, I wouldn't mind keeping him around. He's really come around this season and I don't feel confident in anyone taking that 3rd line C role full time, unless it's an addition through FA in which case I feel that the team would have to overpay a bit.

Old
02-28-2014, 12:56 PM
seasontixholder*

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
I heard the interview with Stuart - he did say he'd like to sign here. Hometown discount? That was never mentioned - he'd be silly to, obviously, but he definitely expressed the wish to resign. Says he likes it here.

Can't remember who did the interview, but I'll see if I can dig it up.
No the hometown discount wasn't mentioned but he did say I wants to finish what they started and wants to stay here. I think he was 1290 doing an interview a little while back.

And of all the Jets, he's the guy you'd want to go drinking with.

Old
02-28-2014, 01:07 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Lawless has now transferred his love from Noel to Stuart, who next?
I think Lawless is trying to make friends after throwing so many of the core of the team under the bus... Buff, Kane, Ladd, Wheeler, etc.

Old
02-28-2014, 01:12 PM
bazaaa*

I've never been a huge Stuart fan, but he's been much better this year than the last couple years. Seemed like every week he was taking an unncessary penalty. I could see the Jets FO wanting to keep him around, assuming it's for cheap. I'm sure he's a big presence in the locker room as well.

Old
02-28-2014, 01:14 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazaaa View Post
I've never been a huge Stuart fan, but he's been much better this year than the last couple years. Seemed like every week he was taking an unncessary penalty. I could see the Jets FO wanting to keep him around, assuming it's for cheap. I'm sure he's a big presence in the locker room as well.
He's been surprisingly invisible, which for a defenseman, I like. I wonder if the tweaks to the system suit his game better? I'd definitely be OK keeping him around as a 5-6, based on his play over the last month or two.

Old
02-28-2014, 02:15 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

Coach Maurice before team left for Nashville - Fiddle with the lineup? Challenges presented by Nashville. Rhythm of playing every second day. Having Kane and Slater back in the lineup. 4th line talk. Shootout strategy. Play of Ondrej Pavelec his growth and the criticism he faces. Talk about Pavelecís numbers.

To listen click here.

Old
02-28-2014, 03:52 PM
Jet
Big Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogistewart View Post
Redmond's a UFA this offseason, i think. so count him out of the plans.
we should probably accept that Postma and Redmond are nothing more than 5-7 D on this team and therefore are interchangeable with other players. not sure if i'll shed tears if either of them is lost.

Stuart's getting $1.7 mil this year. thinking he can get $2 mil/year x 2 years on the open market. in that case, he should move on. after all, that's Grant Clitsome money.

*edit* my god, i just looked at the roster for next year and we'll lose 4 regular forwards and Halischuk. i assume Frolik will be re-signed, but there's definitely room for Petan and some dubious FA signings to make the team.
Redmond is an RFA. I wouldn't count him out just yet -- he's had a lot of bad luck but has always found a way to perservere. He has been very good at the AHL level but due to that poor luck hasn't really had much of a legit NHL shot.

I think Zach will be a late bloomer and see his top potential as a good 2 way top 4 guy. Knowing his resilience and determination, I bet he gets there.

I think Postma is the guy who will go. He just doesn't 'fit' in what we need. He is more valuable to a team looking for some offense from the D.

02-28-2014, 03:58 PM
Aavco Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Redmond is an RFA.
Redmond will be UFA under group 6 rules

http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-does-...ee-agency-work

Old
02-28-2014, 04:07 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Redmond is an RFA. I wouldn't count him out just yet -- he's had a lot of bad luck but has always found a way to perservere. He has been very good at the AHL level but due to that poor luck hasn't really had much of a legit NHL shot.

I think Zach will be a late bloomer and see his top potential as a good 2 way top 4 guy. Knowing his resilience and determination, I bet he gets there.

I think Postma is the guy who will go. He just doesn't 'fit' in what we need. He is more valuable to a team looking for some offense from the D.

Was RFA, but now UFA. Didn't meet NHL GP threshold to be RFA.

Old
02-28-2014, 05:28 PM
BigZ65

It's weird how you can "earn" unrestricted free agency by not playing, when you'd be a restricted free agent if you had played.

I guess they don't want teams to hoard players, but looking at it from an individual point of view, it's crazy.

Closed Thread