HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers eye Gratton

Closed Thread

Old
08-11-2005, 01:53 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

vCash: 500
It was more a general response to every time a name comes up the first one in response is Giroux,lol. Same thing happened last week with a LeClair rumor.

Old
08-11-2005, 02:19 PM
Fletch

Edge...

I think we both like the same type of team...North American players (or N.A. style) sprinkled with a little European (or EU style) flair. In other words, some guys who will play tough, as well as good defense and grind it out as a base and some of the more skilled, fast guys that would complement them well. I still prefer that even though the NHL wants to go in a different direction and rules are dictating that. Defense will still win championships. The playoffs will still be a tough grind. The season will still be 82 games and many of them will be played close and tough.

Old
08-11-2005, 02:26 PM
NYC Aim 4588

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
..hasn't Sather learned yet?
No and I dont think he ever will.

Old
08-11-2005, 02:34 PM
NYC Aim 4588

vCash:
Im all for building a team with 75 % N.A players and filling in some spots with Euro players , be it scorers or grinders or whatever.

Bobby Clarke seems to be one that likes to be N.A as he said in the draft this year, well something along those lines. Rugged N.A teams go farther than Finesse Euro teams ( Ottawa ) thats just my opinion. So Sather and signing all these Euro's I dont get what is his facination with them.

Old
08-11-2005, 02:38 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

I think for years Clark went a little too far with the NA approach.

Old
08-11-2005, 02:40 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
Not a big fan of this if he's signed. We need players with heart...not underachievers..hasn't Sather learned yet?

I thought Sather would have learned this from the Michael Grosek days. I guess once a jackass always a jackass.

Old
08-11-2005, 05:50 PM
NYC Aim 4588

vCash:
Chris Gratton

Center
Born Jul 5 1975 -- Brantford, ONT
Height 6.03 -- Weight 220
Selected by Tampa-Bay Lightning round 1 #3 overall 1993 NHL Entry Draft

Talk about Daigle being an underachiever this guy was a #3 overall, and his #'s are very similar to Daigles so why is everyone always on Daigles case, JAson Ward #11 overall he also a flop, yeah Daigle was # 1 but still anyway..

1993-94 Tampa-Bay Lightning NHL 84 13 29 42 123 -- -- -- -- --
1994-95 Tampa-Bay Lightning NHL 46 7 20 27 89 -- -- -- -- --
1995-96 Tampa-Bay Lightning NHL 82 17 21 38 105 6 0 2 2 27
1996-97 Tampa-Bay Lightning NHL 82 30 32 62 201 -- -- -- -- --
1997-98 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 82 22 40 62 159 5 2 0 2 10
1998-99 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 26 1 7 8 41 -- -- -- -- --
1998-99 Tampa-Bay Lightning NHL 52 7 19 26 102 -- -- -- -- --
1999-00 Tampa-Bay Lightning NHL 58 14 27 41 121 -- -- -- -- --
1999-00 Buffalo Sabres NHL 14 1 7 8 15 5 0 1 1 4
2000-01 Buffalo Sabres NHL 82 19 21 40 102 13 6 4 10 14
2001-02 Buffalo Sabres NHL 82 15 24 39 75 -- -- -- -- --
2002-03 Buffalo Sabres NHL 66 15 29 44 86 -- -- -- -- --
2002-03 Phoenix Coyotes NHL 14 0 1 1 21 -- -- -- -- --
2003-04 Phoenix Coyotes NHL 68 11 18 29 93 -- -- -- -- --
2003-04 Colorado Avalanche NHL 13 2 1 3 18 11 0 0 0 27
NHL Totals 851 174 296 470 1351 40 8 7

His #'s are pretty steady keeping the same amount of games year in and out plus avg'ing about 30 or so points a season, he cant be that bad if acquired, he is 30 and thats what i odnt like, and If NYR did sign the whole Czech Repub then I owuldnt have minded Gratton but not NYR must leave room for the kids and sign no one else or trade for no one unless they are 2nd line material or top 4 d-man and within the ages of 19-26/27

Old
08-11-2005, 06:02 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Daigle gets more crap for several reasons.

He was number one, fair or unfair thats the price that comes with it.

He signed for a lot more money.

The expectations for Daigle were huge. He was expected to be the face of canadian hockey in the 90's.

Gratton, while a disappointment offensivly has consistenly at least been a solid to pretty good power forward who consistently got his 15-20 goals and 40 some odd points.

Daigle was a guy who for a while could hardly stick in the NHL.

I always liked Daigle but felt he never really wanted to be hockey player. His heart was elsewhere but he was good at what he did. Who wouldn't accept the money he did for hockey, even if you didnt love it.

Old
08-11-2005, 08:16 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Daigle gets more crap for several reasons.

He was number one, fair or unfair thats the price that comes with it.

He signed for a lot more money.

The expectations for Daigle were huge. He was expected to be the face of canadian hockey in the 90's.

Gratton, while a disappointment offensivly has consistenly at least been a solid to pretty good power forward who consistently got his 15-20 goals and 40 some odd points.

Daigle was a guy who for a while could hardly stick in the NHL.

I always liked Daigle but felt he never really wanted to be hockey player. His heart was elsewhere but he was good at what he did. Who wouldn't accept the money he did for hockey, even if you didnt love it.

If Rangers dont get Gratton, Id hope we get one of Yanick Perrault or Jason Krog for faceoff help. Perrault led the Habs with 65.2% but is 34 years old. Krog is only 29, gonna be 30 at begin of Oct. But Krog is a bit small but good on faceoffs. The new game should help players like him. He led the Ducks with 58.5% on faceoffs ahead of Fedorov who was 56.6%. Gratton was 55.7% which aint bad and is only 30. What u think??

Old
08-11-2005, 08:34 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
If Rangers dont get Gratton, Id hope we get one of Yanick Perrault or Jason Krog for faceoff help. Perrault led the Habs with 65.2% but is 34 years old. Krog is only 29, gonna be 30 at begin of Oct. But Krog is a bit small but good on faceoffs. The new game should help players like him. He led the Ducks with 58.5% on faceoffs ahead of Fedorov who was 56.6%. Gratton was 55.7% which aint bad and is only 30. What u think??
This team needs face off help like the Devil Rays need a situational lefty reliever what difference does it really make?

Old
08-11-2005, 08:34 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

I agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
I think most are resigned to the fact that there needs to be a veteran presence. Also, most believe that spots need to be open for which youth can compete. Included in that youth are two players, Balej and Lundmark, who have played in the NHL and likely wouldn't make sense to play on lines other than the top two, if anywhere. Then you have other youth, including Moore, Hollweg, Murray, and others, who may not be top liners, but may be deserving of time on third and/or fourth lines. The more vets that are signed, the less spots available for youth. It's tough to rebuild because you cannot predict how a guy like Murray would handle 5-10 minutes of ice time; or how Tyutin or Kondratiev would handle 15-20+ minutes and 82 games; or if Moore can put it together to be a useful third liner and penalty killer. But at what point are they given a chance, and what is that chance? Other teams seem to be able to successfully phase-in prospects and find roles for them; the Rangers too should.

Gratton I lament because he's likely not coming here for one season, and likely would get a decent amount of ice time and salary. I don't think he does anything for the future, and not much for the present. I'd rather get a 37 year old journeyman signed for a year to fill the gap if needed. Heck, I think Messier would be more useful as he approaches 45 years old.
Signing a player of Gratton's age is not the same as signing an older veteran player. The older veteran player is brought in with a specfic role to play on the ice and in the room. A player of Gratton's age is taking playing time away from a younger player. Signing a middle aged vet is saying to your prospects I don't think we have a player in our organization that can do that job. That is the wrong message.

Old
08-11-2005, 08:36 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Someone needs to inform the poster that the rule changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
This team needs face off help like the Devil Rays need a situational lefty reliever what difference does it really make?
are being implemented to speed the game up. Something Perrault is not use to.
Could you imagine him on the soft garden ice? He'd look slower!

Old
08-11-2005, 08:49 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Wouldn't you agree

Quote:
It was more a general response to every time a name comes up the first one in response is Giroux,lol. Same thing happened last week with a LeClair rumor.
that we have to find out what this guy (Giroux) can do? Is signing a Leclair or Gratton really going to change anything? Do we really need such players at this time? Isn't this the season to see what these kids can do? Personally, outside of Tyutin, Kondratiev, Balej and maybe Moore, the rest are long shots of making it long term in the NHL. Nonetheless, we owe it to oursleves to find out what the Giroux's, Lampman's, Murray's etc can do.

The next wave of prospects, Jessiman, Montoya, Lundqvist, Dawes, Taylor, Liffiton are a better group. So too will be the one's after them. It should be about getting the process moving and starting to use your own players this year. That is what I think needs to be focused on. Signing vets is ok, but 1 year deals. Malik I could see because we needed a veteran, stay at home presence. But take Nyander's contract, it was a year too long. We shouldn't be over populating the roster with 30 something players.

Old
08-11-2005, 11:16 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

I'm not saying that we dont give him a chance but not signing a vet who has at least some use doesnt really hinder that. Gratton is a third line banger who chips in some odd points. Giroux will still get his looks and still get his chance if he wins it. Once again i just dont see it holding Giroux back.

Old
08-12-2005, 08:07 AM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
I wouldn't argue against Gratton just because he'll take a roster spot. I'd also argue against him because he just sucks. He may chip in 40 pts, but he's not good defensively and his heart is questionable. He does not produce enough to overlook the other glaring deficiencies in his game. This is not the type of player I would want around a rebuilding team.

Old
08-12-2005, 12:01 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Despite his flaws he'd also be one of the bigger/tougher guys on a team that actually looks very flash and dash and quite soft.

Now he's not a long term part of the puzzle, but if you can get a guy who can play with a little edge and chip in a few points i'd say it is at least worth a look.

Old
08-12-2005, 12:27 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Despite his flaws he'd also be one of the bigger/tougher guys on a team that actually looks very flash and dash and quite soft.

Now he's not a long term part of the puzzle, but if you can get a guy who can play with a little edge and chip in a few points i'd say it is at least worth a look.

Maybe with the game opening up, he can get back to when he scored 60 points in a season. You never know, I dont want him unless its for one year deal and very cheap.

Old
08-12-2005, 12:39 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Well that seems to be the trend. Short term deals.

Old
08-12-2005, 08:15 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...12_210606_5136

Signed with Florida.

Old
08-12-2005, 08:21 PM
NYC Aim 4588

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
What u think??
What i think is you want to sign and trade for any player. It seesm if you see a guy that plays a good college game you want him signed, he gets into a good fight you want him signed, he is mentioned in a trade you want , if he is mentioned to be signed you will take him.

in all honesty is there any one you dont want besides Tom Poti who you constantly offer in trades?

Please take no offense you are just a funny sort of character. You keep me and others plenty occupied and for that i thank you...

Old
08-12-2005, 09:41 PM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
Quote:
Likely better off

Old
08-12-2005, 09:45 PM
Potter

Send a message via AIM to Potter
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy hour
I know that there has been ALOT of Ranger fans convinced that only a complete rebuilld from scratch is the only wayto go. I understand, and to a point, i agree but some posters seem to want to give first and second line minutes to "projected" third line players. We can debate these potential signings forever,which is fun. I for one would like to see Gratton signed to a one year deal. My question to the ranger fans who want to go with 10 ranger prospects or more in their line-up; Are you willing to go with about 15 wins this season without blaming Glenn Sather or the coaching staff or Tom Poti,for being absolutely awful? How many of us are going to be whining (me included) to sign some vets?

unless the contract is for 3 years or more i would be for this because of this point precisely. having jagr and straka and 10 prospects manning the fowards we would be doing more harm than good to those 10 prospects. gratton can play on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th line. so if a kid on the bottom 2 lines starts playing better i would like to the coaching staff would take note of that slot gratton down. its not a bad signing at all. who knows, theres a chance gratton could come here and strive as a perfect 3rd line center for years to come ala holik, ricchi.

i understand the strong push for youth youth youth. we've been so deprived of it for years thanks to terrible management that we now feel like the best approach back to greatness is no one that wont help us for the next 10 years isnt worth the ice time. but the management finally seemed realized it was blowing it and is taking advantage of law changes to adress the problem. we must remain objective and reasonable in our approach to rebuilding this team. we need some NHLers to make sure we dont get pushed around and look like the tampa bay devil rays. the kids wont get better when they are getting killed every night. they'll basically be the hockey version of the bengals... kinda like we are right now? (the message is dont push far to one extreme because it usually ends up just as bad as what your pushing against. damn im deep arent i?)

Old
08-12-2005, 11:13 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Well either way i didnt really have a strong opinion.

So we will now have a weekend of piece before next week's rumor shakes everyone up back into a panic.

Old
08-12-2005, 11:40 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:

Old
08-13-2005, 01:29 AM
eco's bones

Quote: