HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumor/Speculation Thread XXVI: G Staying Put.

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2014, 08:00 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 95
Trade Rumor/Speculation Thread XXVI: G Staying Put.

Continue.

02-28-2014, 08:10 PM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

vCash: 500
Hope we get some valuable assets for Callahan and not a 40-year old player who will retire soon. There is nothing good in a trade like that. If we trade our captain, it has to be for future stars or current players who will be playing for at least 5 more years.

02-28-2014, 08:11 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Kreiderman View Post
Hope we get some valuable assets for Callahan and not a 40-year old player who will retire soon.
He is 38, not 40. As Kel said his age is very misleading. If they get 3-4 years out of him it is a great move to make. MSL has missed 7 games since 2002-2003. Give the age ******** a rest.

Old
02-28-2014, 08:12 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

This is part 26 of the trade rumor thread, who's a #26?

MSL has shown no signs of deterioration. I actually have more faith in him staying healthy over the next three years than Callahan.

Old
02-28-2014, 08:12 PM
bubba5

Quote:
Hope we get some valuable assets for Callahan and not a 40-year old player who will retire soon.
Yes thank you. Giving up a first for a 39 year old who will only play one more season for us and the giving up the potential of getting a first for Cally if you send him elsewhere does not make sense.

Old
02-28-2014, 08:14 PM
lJuicel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
He is 38, not 40. As Kel said his age is very misleading. If they get 3-4 years out of him it is a great move to make. MSL has missed 7 games since 2002-2003. Give the age ******** a rest.
The folks against the trade can't give the age thing a rest cause its the only leg to stand on in this argument really. A Cally for MSL deal, is a no brainer to me. We'd have to add, but like someone posted earlier Fast ? Kristo ? Not really game changers.

Old
02-28-2014, 08:14 PM
Dactyl
💙NASH💙

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
Yes thank you. Giving up a first for a 39 year old who will only play one more season for us and the potential of getting a first for Cally if you send him elsewhere does not make sense.
He's not 39 and he could be a 60+ point guy well into his 40s. He's a ppg guy easily for this year and next year maybe more. He is way more valuable than a first

Old
02-28-2014, 08:15 PM
SA16
Two by two...

Quote:
Yes thank you. Giving up a first for a 39 year old who will only play one more season for us and the giving up the potential of getting a first for Cally if you send him elsewhere does not make sense.
We could always trade St. Louis at next years deadline for more than Cally will get at this years since both are unsigned and St. Louis is a vastly superior player...

Old
02-28-2014, 08:16 PM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
The fact that he has only missed 7 games in the last 12 years, does not give us any certainty he will play for another few years. I would prefer to get players who can contribute for 5+ years and have trade-value in a couple of years.

I love MSL as a player, but trading him for Callahan? Not sure if that is the best we can get out of a Cally-based deal.

Old
02-28-2014, 08:16 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA16 View Post
We could always trade St. Louis at next years deadline for more than Cally will get at this years since both are unsigned and St. Louis is a vastly superior player...
Another solid idea if things werent working out for the rangers team next year...though I think when you add MSL to the mix of this goalie, defense, nash, kreider, stepan, hagelin, brassard...you will be competitive.

Old
02-28-2014, 08:18 PM
lJuicel

Can we change the title of the thread to MSL's birthdate ? Some folks seem to be having a tough time crunching the numbers.

Old
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Everyone here keeps harping on MSL's age ... when the truth is you might lose Cally for ZILCH ... so if you can get SOMETHING for him (especially an elite scorer) even if it is for a 2 year run - you take it.

Old
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
The fact that he has only missed 7 games in the last 12 years, does not give us any certainty he will play for another few years. I would prefer to get players who can contribute for 5+ years and have trade-value in a couple of years.

I love MSL as a player, but trading him for Callahan? Not sure if that is the best we can get out of a Cally-based deal.
Ryan Callahan is a RENTAL...who are you getting that is going to play the next 5 years? Please submit a list of names? The one player rumored was Chris Stewart, signed only through next year. Oh wait that sounds just like MSL, who lives in Greenwich, CT and could sign 1 year 35+ contracts until he retires. You want things that don't exist.

Old
I Am Classless

Quote:
Hope we get some valuable assets for Callahan and not a 40-year old player who will retire soon. There is nothing good in a trade like that. If we trade our captain, it has to be for future stars or current players who will be playing for at least 5 more years.
Turning down a cutprice trade for an elite player who apparently only wants to play here betrays an amazing lack of flexibility. I wouldn't be shocked if Yzerman wants a fairer value - then you take your ball and go home, whatever, no problem - but to see Rangers fans turning down the kinds of players and proposals coming up I just don't understand it.

If we suck eggs somehow and MSL wants out next year, do you know what we could get for him in assets as a rental with the whole league in play? (It's much more than what we can get for Ryan Callahan)

Old
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA16 View Post
I'm not sure you can. He has a no trade. Does he lose it for next season if he allows a trade this season?

Old
jerseyjinx94
I jinx players.

Yet another GM addresses trade rumors involving a player.

I don't even remember who said that GMs don't do this, but I enjoy posting it anyway to show that they do.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nhl/1687/shea-weber

"Were not trading Shea. We've told that to everybody. People ask and its their right to ask, but we're not trading him," Predators GM David Poile said.

Old
02-28-2014, 08:19 PM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Just don't understand it...

Solid goaltending

Solid blueline

Offensively lacking real top end skill and finish.

This team is pretty much built to win NOW, what is it with the picks and prospects approach I'm not seeing? Adding an elite talent like MSL is EXACTLY what this team needs to be mentioned among contenders, not pretenders... But like I said, maybe the beer goggles are affecting what I'm seeing...

Old
jerseyjinx94
I jinx players.

Quote:
I'm not sure you can. He has a no trade. Does he lose it for next season if he allows a trade this season?
I believe next season he loses his no-trade? I heard that somewhere.

Old
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:

You do realize MSL is only signed for another 2 years, and say worst case scenario he breaks down ... that cap space is free after next season to spend on locking up current players or trading or signing others with better value / production.

Old
02-28-2014, 08:21 PM
JeffMangum
I'm v

vCash: 50
People,

MSL is 38. Not 39, and not 40. He is also one of the healthiest and most athletic players in the league.

Brought to you by facts.

Old
Nightshift

It seems unlikely MSL would request a trade if he only intended to play 1 more season. I think the end of his career will mirror that of guys like Selanne and Lidstrom. Still playing at a high level and leaving on their own terms. Id wager MSL playing another 3 seasons at least.

Old
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot View Post
Just don't understand it...

Solid goaltending

Solid blueline

Offensive lacking real top end skill and finish.

This team is pretty much built to win NOW, what is it with the picks and prospects approach I'm not seeing? Adding an elite talent like MSL is EXACTLY what this team needs to be mentioned among contenders, not pretenders... But like I said, maybe the beer goggles are affecting what I'm seeing...
I'm with you. And there's zero evidence that MSL would only play one season for us.

Old
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBoyle View Post
People,

MSL is 38. Not 39, and not 40. He is also one of the healthiest and most athletic players in the league.

Brought to you by facts.
TRAID BOYLE.

FACTS SUCK.

Wut

Old
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dactyl View Post
He's not 39 and he could be a 60+ point guy well into his 40s. He's a ppg guy easily for this year and next year maybe more. He is way more valuable than a first
He almost 39. And you would be giving up two 1st's because you can get a first for Cally most likely, for a guy who Might get you 60 points for one season.

Old
02-28-2014, 08:22 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
You do realize MSL is only signed for another 2 years, and say worst case scenario he breaks down ... that cap space is free after next season to spend on locking up current players or trading or signing others with better value / production.
Or you could trade Callahan for pieces with a shelf life > 2 years.

There is risk in that. But I myself do not believe that MSL makes the Rangers a contender this year or next. So I would prefer they take that risk.