HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks prospects info/discussion thread VIII

Closed Thread

Old
08-05-2014, 03:17 PM
Leidi J

vCash: 500
Soooo with no Goldobin at the Russia camp and Brodzinski being cut (though obviously they could still end up on their teams in Dec who knows)... does that mean we're rooting for the Swiss and Sweden? Even if Mueller is in SJ by that time it seems like Rod could be there + Bergman...

I haven't been keeping up on the U20 camps much this summer

Old
08-05-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
He has 35 cousins? Holy crap…..
I have 29 first cousins. Could have easily had more had not two of my father's sisters and one of my mother's brothers died before child bearing age.

Old
08-05-2014, 05:42 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
I have 29 first cousins. Could have easily had more had not two of my father's sisters and one of my mother's brothers died before child bearing age.

I have nearly 20 first cousins. Would have had more if dad wasn't an only child.

Old
08-05-2014, 08:18 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
No. (You do know what "first cousins, once removed" means, right? If my mother has a first cousin (shared sibling parents, or sibling of my grandparents), that person is my "first cousin, once removed", IOW a generational difference.)
That person would be an aunt/uncle by my book. You think my first cousin's 3 year old is my cousin once removed? Hell no, he's my little nephew..

Old
08-05-2014, 08:20 PM
spintheblackcircle
$$$$$$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
That person would be an aunt/uncle by my book. You think my first cousin's 3 year old is my cousin once removed? Hell no, he's my little nephew..
Nephew? mmmmmm, no.

08-05-2014, 08:25 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
Nephew? mmmmmm, no.
Well, I consider my first cousins to be my brothers and sisters, so I don't see why I wouldn't consider their kids to be my nephews/nieces. Same goes for them, obviously.

Different cultures, I guess.

Old
08-05-2014, 08:53 PM
drunksage
#88: The Savior.

Yeah, my culture pretty much does the same thing with cousins' children being called nephews/nieces and whatnot. It's much simpler and they're family anyway.

Then again, our word for nephew can also refer to niece and also works for grandchild.

*like moving back to the D-man position and being even more awesome
Old
08-06-2014, 09:53 AM
Mayo8898

So I realized that Sarnia has 3 import draft picks on their roster, meaning they have to trade one of them. I took the liberty of going to the Stings thread and the posters over there seem to think Goldobin is the odd man out. Reason for this is that on wing, they have Gold, Korostolev and Zacha, the only sure things. In C, they basically only have Kodola as a positive. Also, they feel Kodola will stick around in Sarnia longer than Goldobin and Gold would also fetch a better return. Thoughts?

Old
08-06-2014, 10:04 AM
sr228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo8898 View Post
So I realized that Sarnia has 3 import draft picks on their roster, meaning they have to trade one of them. I took the liberty of going to the Stings thread and the posters over there seem to think Goldobin is the odd man out. Reason for this is that on wing, they have Gold, Korostolev and Zacha, the only sure things. In C, they basically only have Kodola as a positive. Also, they feel Kodola will stick around in Sarnia longer than Goldobin and Gold would also fetch a better return. Thoughts?
That's why I said Sarnia should be better this season assuming Goldobin is still there.

Trading Goldobin instead of Kodola will make them worse but the fact that Kodola is only 17 (soon to be 18) and that Goldobin will very likely only be around for one more season as well as get them a really, really good return would lead me to think that Goldobin could be the one to go.

I think who they move will depend on a couple of things. Whether or not they think Goldobin will be back with Sarnia and whether or not they think they can compete for an OHL title.

Old
08-06-2014, 01:59 PM
Coy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
That's why I said Sarnia should be better this season assuming Goldobin is still there.

Trading Goldobin instead of Kodola will make them worse but the fact that Kodola is only 17 (soon to be 18) and that Goldobin will very likely only be around for one more season as well as get them a really, really good return would lead me to think that Goldobin could be the one to go.

I think who they move will depend on a couple of things. Whether or not they think Goldobin will be back with Sarnia and whether or not they think they can compete for an OHL title.
Well considering DW said he has a good shot of making it out of camp I bet other teams would be wary of trading for Goldobin.

Old
08-06-2014, 02:19 PM
sr228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coy View Post
Well considering DW said he has a good shot of making it out of camp I bet other teams would be wary of trading for Goldobin.
DW has said a lot of things this summer, most of which should probably not be taken literally.

If there's a team that wants Goldobin they'll make a move for him.

Old
08-11-2014, 04:56 AM
Howe Elbows 9

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leidi J View Post
Soooo with no Goldobin at the Russia camp and Brodzinski being cut (though obviously they could still end up on their teams in Dec who knows)... does that mean we're rooting for the Swiss and Sweden? Even if Mueller is in SJ by that time it seems like Rod could be there + Bergman...

I haven't been keeping up on the U20 camps much this summer
Aside from Bergman, I believe Fredrik Bergvik has a good chance at being named to Sweden's roster. He'll have to play well this season as he is competing with Jonas Johansson and Samuel Ward for playing time in net, though.

Old
08-12-2014, 03:14 AM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Sorry to make this more off-topic again, but I'm the same. My mom's cousin is my aunt. My cousin's son is my nephew.
On the first cousin count, I have like 30. Dad has 6 siblings, each with 2-4 kids. Mom has 5 siblings each with 2-4 kids.

Old
08-12-2014, 08:51 AM
sr228

Corey Pronman released his top 100 NHL prospects (paywall), Mueller comes in at #40.

Here's the entire list:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/story..._PROSPECTS1-50

(Goldobin is in the HM / just missed list)

Last edited by sr228: 08-12-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Old
08-12-2014, 03:58 PM
Juxtaposer
Window: Closed

vCash: 50
40 seems awfully high for Mueller but I trust Pronman so it's good to hear.

Old
08-12-2014, 05:11 PM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
If it makes you feel better, he has Mantha at 33 and no Goldobin(which is kinda understandable).

Old
08-12-2014, 05:23 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Well, for someone who doesn't think he's very good I can see why you'd say that.

If you understood everything I said, you’d be me - Miles Davis

Old
08-14-2014, 06:05 AM
Le Rosbeef

If Mueller works into a solid top 4 Dman down the line, I'm perfectly happy with that. These guys don't grow on trees. He doesn't have to be a top pairing guy, IMO, so long as he contributes. This is the only way you can get cost controlled players onto your roster on the back end these days it seems...

Old
08-14-2014, 06:44 AM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Rosbeef View Post
If Mueller works into a solid top 4 Dman down the line, I'm perfectly happy with that. These guys don't grow on trees. He doesn't have to be a top pairing guy, IMO, so long as he contributes. This is the only way you can get cost controlled players onto your roster on the back end these days it seems...
Top 2 or bust. No stinking 4seys. Those guys suck.

Old
08-14-2014, 07:02 AM
Le Rosbeef

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
Top 2 or bust. No stinking 4seys. Those guys suck.
That's a measured response.

5 years ago I'd have agreed with you. Now, young top 4 Dmen just don't come cheap as FAs and teams seem reluctant to trade anyone who's a sure thing, especially if they are homegrown and cheap.

If he reaches top pairing I'll be thrilled. I'm just saying I won't be gutted if he's 20 minutes a night of solid D.

Old
08-14-2014, 08:14 AM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

Quote:
That's a measured response.

5 years ago I'd have agreed with you. Now, young top 4 Dmen just don't come cheap as FAs and teams seem reluctant to trade anyone who's a sure thing, especially if they are homegrown and cheap.

If he reaches top pairing I'll be thrilled. I'm just saying I won't be gutted if he's 20 minutes a night of solid D.
I'm just kidding, there are a lot of people on HF that do view it that way though. I agree with you about top 4 Dmen and top 9 forwards. A couple years back, the mentality that it was easy to come across tweeners and checking role players but with all the trouble that DW's had along the way doing that, it's turned out that it's really hard to get a good tweener like Wingels or Torres. So if you can get them in the draft then good.

I do see Mueller becoming something at the NHL level despite his lack of point production at the junior level. I just can't imagine why he would be rated so highly during his draft year and he got a big boost on Pronman's list this year too. Especially considering the level of scouting available and the current mindset that puts a huge premium on puck movement from the defense and the easiest translation of that in CHL players is big point totals which Mueller does not have. So I gotta believe that there's something there that'll show him to be worthwhile.

Old
08-14-2014, 09:27 AM
sr228

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
I'm just kidding, there are a lot of people on HF that do view it that way though. I agree with you about top 4 Dmen and top 9 forwards. A couple years back, the mentality that it was easy to come across tweeners and checking role players but with all the trouble that DW's had along the way doing that, it's turned out that it's really hard to get a good tweener like Wingels or Torres. So if you can get them in the draft then good.

I do see Mueller becoming something at the NHL level despite his lack of point production at the junior level. I just can't imagine why he would be rated so highly during his draft year and he got a big boost on Pronman's list this year too. Especially considering the level of scouting available and the current mindset that puts a huge premium on puck movement from the defense and the easiest translation of that in CHL players is big point totals which Mueller does not have. So I gotta believe that there's something there that'll show him to be worthwhile.
That might be how fans determine if a d-man is puck mover but that's really just not how scouting works.

They have ways to get all sorts of information including possession stats, player usage, team effects, number of touches, etc. along with a lot of 'watching the game'.

Mueller may or may not make it at the NHL level but it's not surprising to me that he's rated so highly among scouts and the Sharks org.

Old
08-14-2014, 12:03 PM
sr228

And now ESPN's org pipeline rankings (also behind a paywall):

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/story...AN_ORGRANKINGS

I thought the Sharks would be higher then 27 but considering they just graduated two of their best prospects I guess it's not too surprising.

Last edited by sr228: 08-14-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old
08-14-2014, 12:22 PM
Le Rosbeef

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
And now ESPN's org pipeline rankings (also behind a paywall):

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/story...AN_ORGRANKINGS

I thought the Sharks would be higher then 27 but considering they just graduated two of their best prospects I guess it's not too surprising.
Does it show movement? I bet we were lower pre-draft It's worrying to think there's a few organisations that have poorer pools than us...

Old
08-14-2014, 12:29 PM
sr228

Quote:
Does it show movement? I bet we were lower pre-draft It's worrying to think there's a few organisations that have poorer pools than us...
No.

The Sharks have had one of the worst prospect pools for quite a while but somehow they keep graduating prospects that make an impact in the NHL.

Closed Thread