HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Could Canada host the World Championship?

View Poll Results: Could Canada host the World Championships and would they be a success
Yes and it would be sucessful 50 90.91%
No it would be a flop 5 9.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-02-2014, 07:15 PM
Stats01

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
Why doesn't 2008 count. It was fairly successful, no?

Anyway, I would love if Canada hosted the IIHF WC more often. Not a lot, but maybe once or twice a decade.
At least once a decade. I've brought this up numerous times but I feel it needs to be said again. For Canada to only host 1 WC in the last century is embarrassing and a disgrace IMO. How does the nation who created the sport not host the World Championship? It's just 1 of many reasons why this tournament isn't respected by a lot of people. It's a joke.

And by the way the IIHF has done nothing to make sure Canada host this tournament, it's been stuck in Europe for basically 100 years. It's pathetic. It's a European Championship not a World Championship.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 10:31 PM
Uncle Rotter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatOne View Post
strange that usa has never host a wc...
1962 in Colorado

Uncle Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 11:10 PM
xsnyper

The tournament often provides good hockey but is meaningless when the best players aren't participating. Before Sochi, Canada was ranked 5th in the world... should be renamed IIHF European Championship unless they start playing it in September or late June.

xsnyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 11:31 PM
nutbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
At least once a decade. I've brought this up numerous times but I feel it needs to be said again. For Canada to only host 1 WC in the last century is embarrassing and a disgrace IMO. How does the nation who created the sport not host the World Championship? It's just 1 of many reasons why this tournament isn't respected by a lot of people. It's a joke.

And by the way the IIHF has done nothing to make sure Canada host this tournament, it's been stuck in Europe for basically 100 years. It's pathetic. It's a European Championship not a World Championship.
Canada was due to host the 1970 WC in Montreal and Winnipeg but the IIHF took away the tournament because Canada was planning on using professional players. Not then-current NHLers, just players who had NHL and minor pro experience.

nutbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2014, 11:44 PM
Noutaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutbar View Post
Canada was due to host the 1970 WC in Montreal and Winnipeg but the IIHF took away the tournament because Canada was planning on using professional players. Not then-current NHLers, just players who had NHL and minor pro experience.
Yes, back then both IIHF and the International Olympic Comittee had ridiculous and hypocritical rules against pros. Luckily those were pretty much scrapped in 80´s and 90´s.

Noutaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 04:39 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post

When Canada withdrew from international competition in the early 70s over the question of player eligibility i.e. the IIHF's definition of "professional", the agreement that was struck which ended this boycott included a commitment by the Canadian Amateur Hockey Association (before it became Hockey Canada) that they would not bid to host any WHC. At least I remember reading that somewhere. Not sure if that is 100% accurate or not. Sweden stood with Canada in this fight with the IIHF, as they were the first European country to feel the pain over the IIHF exclusion of NHL pros.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 02:17 PM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Sweden stood with Canada in this fight with the IIHF
Norway too

Uncle Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 04:31 PM
Mehar

The answer is NO. 2008 was in Canada because The IIHF wanted to celebrate the federation's 100th anniversary by holding the tournament in Canada. This might sound arrogant- nobody cares about the WHC during the Spring when the Stanley Cup Playoffs are on everyone's minds. I went to a sports bar last year and told them to put the Canada game on TV, and nobody knew Canada was even playing (LOL). WHC are paid no attention at all. People in Canada only care about Best on Best tournaments. It is a shame since as a hockey fan, i still enjoy seeing the WHC's- especially the younger Canadian players auditioning for roles in future best on best tournaments.

Mehar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 04:44 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehar View Post
The answer is NO. 2008 was in Canada because The IIHF wanted to celebrate the federation's 100th anniversary by holding the tournament in Canada. This might sound arrogant- nobody cares about the WHC during the Spring when the Stanley Cup Playoffs are on everyone's minds. I went to a sports bar last year and told them to put the Canada game on TV, and nobody knew Canada was even playing (LOL). WHC are paid no attention at all. People in Canada only care about Best on Best tournaments. It is a shame since as a hockey fan, i still enjoy seeing the WHC's- especially the younger Canadian players auditioning for roles in future best on best tournaments.
The awnser is YES, as proven in 2008 when It was a HUGE success in Quebec city and I think in Halifax too.

They could host it again in Quebec city and all the tickets would be gone in about an hour.

Beatnik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 04:48 PM
Qrispy

If I recall correctly, the IIHF has said since Canada hosts the WJC every 2nd year, they'd prefer to let other countries host the WHC to grow the game.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 05:06 PM
NHL Dude 120

vCash: 188
Why not have the tournament in July ? i get that the Stanley cup finals end in mid June, European based players will be well rested, plus depending on how the playoffs. during the summer Olympics they could move the tournament before the Olympics start. after free agency, prospect development camps, world junior orientation camps hockey gets boring till mid September giving it a perfect timing to have that tournament.

NHL Dude 120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 05:58 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Of course we could. The only problem... last time we did, few cared. In a hockey crazy country like Canada, that was surprising.

OttawaRoughRiderFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 06:17 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
they could hold the tourny in Edmonton or as long as it starts after the first round of the playoffs are over Toronto.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 06:39 PM
DyerMaker66

Have it in Hamilton, ftw.

DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 06:47 PM
nutbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
Of course we could. The only problem... last time we did, few cared. In a hockey crazy country like Canada, that was surprising.
The last time we hosted, the tournament had the third highest attendance in history.

nutbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 07:11 PM
sickest flow bro

I think it would be successful, especially in non-NHL markets. Regina/Saskatoon or Moncton/Halifax or Halifax/Quebec City. All depends on the year if Junior hockey is being played.

sickest flow bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 08:30 AM
Canuck21t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
When Canada withdrew from international competition in the early 70s over the question of player eligibility i.e. the IIHF's definition of "professional", the agreement that was struck which ended this boycott included a commitment by the Canadian Amateur Hockey Association (before it became Hockey Canada) that they would not bid to host any WHC. At least I remember reading that somewhere. Not sure if that is 100% accurate or not. Sweden stood with Canada in this fight with the IIHF, as they were the first European country to feel the pain over the IIHF exclusion of NHL pros.
What were the reasons given by the IIHF to allow the Soviets and Czechoslovaks as amateurs when everyone knows they were really professionals?

Canuck21t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 08:46 AM
Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck21t View Post
What were the reasons given by the IIHF to allow the Soviets and Czechoslovaks as amateurs when everyone knows they were really professionals?
They were just copying the IOC standard.

And surely we can host an Edmonton WC, because that arena won't be used in May anytime soon.

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 09:31 AM
Saskatoon

I'm not sure about the other games but I went to a few games in Quebec and all the Canadian games seemed to sell out

Saskatoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 10:28 AM
CoolForumNamePending

As plenty of others have already said Canada hosted in '08 and it seemed to go pretty well.

With hosting the Junior tournament every other year I don't know if Hockey Canada would have the time and resources available to also host a WC with any regularity. If given a choice between hosting the Junior tournament every 2 years or getting the WC more frequently I think Hockey Canada without any hesitation is going to pick the former. Given the following it's easy to understand why...

-Canadian public/fans care more about the WJC
-Hosting a tournament in NHL arenas around the holiday season in Canada's largest cities vs. hosting a tournament in junior/minor league arenas in much smaller cities opposite the SC playoffs.
-Organizing the WC is much harder... Almost a week longer, 6 more teams, twice as many games, way more press/media.
-All this probably leads to the WJC being far more profitable to Hockey Canada than a WC would be.

CoolForumNamePending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 10:34 AM
Section337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck21t View Post
The long time amateur gimmick of saying they were not professional hockey players (athletes), they were professional soldiers/police who happened to play hockey.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 11:05 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

During the Stanley Cup Playoffs ? ... yeah, probably not the best idea for Canada/NHL

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 11:28 AM
saskganesh

Saskatchewan would be fine. Flatlanders would totally get behind it. Just take some priming. Saskatoon/Regina and maybe some games in Moose Jaw (the rink there can seat 4500), only 1 hr west of Regina.

One issue may be hotel rooms. S'toon only had 2200 a few years ago. Regina might have a bit more, but I am unsure. But there's probably been a lot of recent construction due to the resource boom.

saskganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 04:53 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

Guys, this thread is about the possibility of holding the WC in Canada, please stay on topic and keep the conspiracy crap out of it.

stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 05:21 AM
Dasachtach
Bluenoser

Sure they (we) can. Non-NHL markets. Halifax and Quebec City did a great job. I very much enjoyed going to the games. Saskatoon and Regina could do just as well, I'm sure. Hamilton & London too.

Dasachtach is offline   Reply With Quote