HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tom Poti re-signed according to NHLPA

Closed Thread

Old
08-11-2005, 02:55 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

vCash: 500
Tom Poti re-signed according to NHLPA

2.35 mil. http://www.nhlpa.com/WebStats/Player...p?OIDTeam=9495

(thanks blu)

Old
08-11-2005, 02:57 PM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
2.35 mil, typo?

Old
08-11-2005, 03:02 PM
Shadowtron

Well there's going to be a lot of sore fannies this, now we officially have two purse swingers!!! 2.35 million? That's all? Was certain Sather would have started a bidding with himself just to retain the Magical Mr. Poti. Gotta keep him away from the Islanders, you know.

Old
08-11-2005, 03:15 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
almost 5 million

on 2 defenceman clearly not worth 2 million combined

sad

Old
08-11-2005, 03:19 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666

sad

We should have let Poti walk and use his cash on Hammer. I wonder where he will end up.

Old
08-11-2005, 03:41 PM
Levitate

isn't $2.35 million poti's qualifying offer? I don't think they could have kept him for any cheaper, and it sounds like they're trying to shop him around anyways...

Old
08-11-2005, 05:02 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
isn't $2.35 million poti's qualifying offer? I don't think they could have kept him for any cheaper, and it sounds like they're trying to shop him around anyways...
Yep, that was his qualifying offer. They should have never qualified him.

Old
08-11-2005, 05:07 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
We should have let Poti walk and use his cash on Hammer. I wonder where he will end up.
no

I think Hamrlik would command a three year deal, which would not work. If Malik weren't signed to that ugly deal, then I could live with it, but I don't want 3 vet D-Men locked up for 3 years, with Tyutin, Kondratiev, Staal, Baranka etc. waiting.

I think Hamrlik said he's only interested in signing with a contender anyway.

Old
08-11-2005, 05:24 PM
RangerBlues

This team needs a player like Poti to help secure the first overall pick.

Old
08-11-2005, 05:38 PM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
Yep, that was his qualifying offer. They should have never qualified him.
Come on Brook...there's plenty of reason to qualify him at that...most of them having to do with his value to other teams in this whacked out market for blueliners. What's more shocking to me is that Kasparaitis is the 2nd highest paid player on the team and Malik is 4th.

Old
08-11-2005, 05:42 PM
Levitate

what surprises me is that kaspar isn't even grossly overpaid in this current market. still overpaid? yeah probably, but not badly so like one might have thought...

Old
08-11-2005, 05:45 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
Come on Brook...there's plenty of reason to qualify him at that...most of them having to do with his value to other teams in this whacked out market for blueliners. What's more shocking to me is that Kasparaitis is the 2nd highest paid player on the team and Malik is 4th.
Honestly, I've watched enough him to last a lifetime. He's not a good positional player, simply because he's unwilling to allow himself to take any form of contact. I'm not asking him to hit anyone, all I'm asking him to do is place his body between the player with the puck and the goal. That's what defenseman are supposed to do. I'm sick of his attempts to use his stick in place of his body.

Whatever anyone is willing to offer is not enough to wash the bad taste out of my mouth. And I suspect that there aren't very many GMs out there willing to give us much at all--regardless of his contract or his potential.

Old
08-11-2005, 05:49 PM
Edge

There have been a lot of players i've thought that of this offseason.

Old
08-11-2005, 05:57 PM
Fish

Quote:
Honestly, I've watched enough him to last a lifetime. He's not a good positional player, simply because he's unwilling to allow himself to take any form of contact. I'm not asking him to hit anyone, all I'm asking him to do is place his body between the player with the puck and the goal. That's what defenseman are supposed to do. I'm sick of his attempts to use his stick in place of his body.

Whatever anyone is willing to offer is not enough to wash the bad taste out of my mouth. And I suspect that there aren't very many GMs out there willing to give us much at all--regardless of his contract or his potential.
Well we'll have to wait and see...but I think you might be surprised in the end

Old
08-11-2005, 06:25 PM
Burberry Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666

sad
5 million isn't really THAT much. Plus, these deals arent killers in the sense that they aren't long term. I would venture to guess that by the time we are legitamately in a position to contend these figures might be off the books

Old
08-11-2005, 07:37 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

I agree, BR. His presence on this team still offends me. I want him gone. But, maybe some team thinks he has skills which will translate well to the "new" NHL. I guess we need to be patient and hope he builds up his trade value. There were some rumors that the Canucks were interested, but Sather's asking price was a #1 pick.

Old
08-11-2005, 08:05 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
I agree, BR. His presence on this team still offends me. I want him gone. But, maybe some team thinks he has skills which will translate well to the "new" NHL. I guess we need to be patient and hope he builds up his trade value. There were some rumors that the Canucks were interested, but Sather's asking price was a #1 pick.
If Fedoruk can fetch a 2ed Poti should be able to get us a first. Heck Poti has way more talent than Todd "The Fridge" Fedoruk.

Old
08-11-2005, 08:21 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

What amazes me is how NYR fans criticize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
the resigning of Poti and the signinh of Malik, but seem fine when other teams flip out and sign defensemen to really unjustifiable contracts like Clarke did in Philly and Lamorello did in NJ with Vlad. Seriously, Vlad at $3.7M for one year, never mind another at the price vs Poti at $2.35M is a no brainer. Vllad is 37, Poti is what 28? Malik is a bargain at the price we paid to sign him compared to what NJ paid for an aging equally questionable desire (Poti). Right now Malik is a better defender. Someone, somewhere will pay a price for Poti. All it will take is patience.

Old
08-11-2005, 09:43 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
What amazes me is how NYR fans criticize the resigning of Poti and the signinh of Malik, but seem fine when other teams flip out and sign defensemen to really unjustifiable contracts like Clarke did in Philly and Lamorello did in NJ with Vlad.
I doubt anyone here thinks Malakhov is worth that contract. Does that mean we need to harp on it day in and day out? It has no effect on you or the Rangers, so why do you care who Lou signs and for how much?

Old
08-11-2005, 10:18 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
the resigning of Poti and the signinh of Malik, but seem fine when other teams flip out and sign defensemen to really unjustifiable contracts like Clarke did in Philly and Lamorello did in NJ with Vlad. Seriously, Vlad at $3.7M for one year, never mind another at the price vs Poti at $2.35M is a no brainer. Vllad is 37, Poti is what 28? Malik is a bargain at the price we paid to sign him compared to what NJ paid for an aging equally questionable desire (Poti). Right now Malik is a better defender. Someone, somewhere will pay a price for Poti. All it will take is patience.
That's someone else's insanity. And it just goes to show that organizations are constantly thinking that they are close to winning it all and need to get that one missing piece before some other guy does. That's the joys of competitive bidding.

But, hey, now everyone can make a splash in the free agent market and sign some overprised thirtysomething mercenary to some insane contract!

Old
08-11-2005, 10:52 PM
Fish

Quote:
I think you're generalizing a little too much here...I think it comes down to individuals players and posters...

I for one don't think there's been a whole lot of smart signings on the blueline around the league, and it seems apparent that there's demand definitely exceeds the supply here.

What I was trying to point out with my comment is that who would have thought that Kasparaitis would be earning the 2nd most money of anyone on the team...that Malik would be the 5th highest and Poti the 6th (corrected from my original post)?

Old
08-11-2005, 10:53 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
I doubt anyone here thinks Malakhov is worth that contract. Does that mean we need to harp on it day in and day out? It has no effect on you or the Rangers, so why do you care who Lou signs and for how much?

If people weren't so quick to jump down Slats' throat (really Maloney) everytime, this wouldn't be an issue. But how come whatever other teams do is always RIGHT but whatever we do is wrong?

Old
08-11-2005, 11:03 PM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
Atlanta, write it down right now.

And yes, we should have let Poti walk. If we're lucky there might be some interest around the deadline. I sure hope so.

Old
08-12-2005, 01:29 AM
eco's bones

Quote:

Actually I'd like him to hit someone..... anyone. I have to say he's my least favorite Ranger. He's been a mistake from the start. A lot of the critiques about York are true but at least he plays with heart. This guy needs to get one.

Closed Thread