HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Lindros a Leaf

Closed Thread

Old
08-11-2005, 04:09 PM
timlap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNGretzky
Congrats, Leafs fans. A good pick up.
He's no FNGretzky, but he'll do.

Old
08-11-2005, 04:09 PM
McFly

Even though Lindros isn't the same big E from years ago, and the risks....blah blah....this is really friggin exciting!! Any big name landing with the Leafs always gets me pumped. You never know the thrill of playing in TO, unlike the downer of playing with the bums in NY may raise his game.

I was already big time excited for October, now way more lol.

Old
08-11-2005, 04:12 PM
DutchLeafsfan

Send a message via ICQ to DutchLeafsfan Send a message via MSN to DutchLeafsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Game
$1.55 is too much when the Leafs don't have that much cap room left
We don't?

Old
08-11-2005, 04:15 PM
Platapie

$1.55 is too much? Are you joking?

Old
08-11-2005, 04:16 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchLeafsfan
Originally Posted by Canadian Game
$1.55 is too much when the Leafs don't have that much cap room left We don't?
1.5 O'Neil
1.55 Lindros
1.5 Allison

4.5 Kovalev

Works for me.

Old
08-11-2005, 04:17 PM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlap
And you've discussed this with Pat Quinn, I trust?
Yes. He just told me to tell you to be quiet

I jumped the gun on your post I guess. I'm just jittery. We're looking good. Not quite Stanley Cup good, but as long as we can at least compete on a nightly basis, I'm happy.

Old
08-11-2005, 04:19 PM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

With all the respect I have for you guys, I must admit the Toronto GMs are the worst ever. Signing Lindros is a joke, that dude never wants to play and he's not in shape at all. Not to mention his 9th commotion is coming... You guys will see.

Old
08-11-2005, 04:22 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned
With all the respect I have for you guys, I must admit the Toronto GMs are the worst ever. Signing Lindros is a joke, that dude never wants to play and he's not in shape at all. Not to mention his 9th commotion is coming... You guys will see.
Finish this sentence for us: Green with _____________

Old
08-11-2005, 04:22 PM
Platapie

Yeah.. commotions are devestating.

Old
08-11-2005, 04:27 PM
Slapshot17

I wonder if it's 1.55 just so he can say his contract is .05 higher than O'Neil's and Allisons.

He'll make heaps of edorsement money playing for the Leafs anyways. Glad they got him for only 1.55, I didn't want to see bonuses counting against next years cap.

Leafs are starting to look quite a bit younger. That's not a bad thing. A lot of 1 year contracts leaves them sitting pretty for next year too.

Old
08-11-2005, 04:28 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

(copied over from the Rumours board Lindros thread)

Leafs are at around 34M committed, with one forward position left to sign. Carter is the rumour, and I think he'd be a good fit here, but I worry that we'd have so may right-handed shots, and so few lefties:

O'Neill - Sundin - Lindros
Stajan - Allison - Carter**
Antropov* - Tucker - Ponikarovsky*
Kilger - Wellwood - Domi

(*RFA) (**projected)

The top line is all RH shots, the third line all LH shots... not sure that's ideal, but I can't see anyone from the 3rd line displacing someone up top. On the second line, only Stajan shoots left, so he might get his share of draws in the right situation. In fact, all four lines boast at least two guys who can take a decent faceoff - not enough from the left side, but I'd still score this as a strength.

I know Quinn likes to balance his lines, but quite frankly he doesn't have enough skilled wingers to divide up amongst Sundin, Allison and Lindros, so look for "the Big E" to line up at right wing. Probably better for his health anyway.

The defence looks like this:

McCabe (LH) - Kaberle (LH)
Khavanov (LH) - Klee (RH)
Berg (LH) - Pilar (RH)

... with Belak as the 7th D/13th forward.

Quinn may want to "balance" this by swapping Khavanov and Kaberle. I honestly don't see Colaiacovo being a good fit this season, in part because Quinn is NOT known as a coach who develops youngsters, and in part because I think he will do better getting top-2 time with the Marlies, who after all are just down the road now, so he'll be bound to get lots of good call-ups over the course of the season. If he knocks our collective socks off in camp, that pushes one of Berg or Pilar (likely Pilar) out of the picture.

All in all, not a contender, but should be a good bet for the playoffs, even assuming we experience some injury trouble. I haven't penned Steen in here, again because I think he'd benefit more from top-line time in the AHL while he adjusts to the North American game, but I'll be interested to see how he performs in camp as well. He'll certainly get time with the Leafs when injuries strike, so we'll get a good look at him. Wellwood... well, I think he deserves a shot, but I'm not sold on this, so unless he proves in camp he can play a responsible two-way role I wouldn't be surprised at all to see JFJ sign a veteran pivot on the cheap for one year while the kids get more experience playing under Maurice. (Come to think of it, leave ALL the kids with Maurice this season, then let them come up to the big club when he takes over the coaching reins in Toronto from Quinn. :-P )

Old
08-11-2005, 04:28 PM
Mysterion

Sign Allison AND Lindros? Talk about a bad idea.

Good luck with that..

Old
08-11-2005, 04:30 PM
Scoogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa420

Good luck with that..
And good luck with Hossa's contract

Old
08-11-2005, 04:36 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Habs Fan here...with the Lindros signing, I feel you guys have the highest risk/reward team around. If everyone stays relatively healthy, you have a good shot of making some noise in the playoffs. If not, you grab a high draft pick, reload with next years UFAs and don't see the drop down the standings that many predict. Where the hell is Ballard when you need him?

Old
08-11-2005, 04:37 PM
Platapie

Indeed Loadie. If all things work out, we're a pretty bad ass team, if things all fail, we're in the cellar. I have a feeling the results will be somewhere in the middle of it all.

Old
08-11-2005, 04:39 PM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:

Good luck with that..

God i hope they do well. Honestly if we miss the playoffs because of injuries to other players and Lindros and Allison light it up, it may actualy worth it.

Old
08-11-2005, 04:39 PM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadie
. . .Where the hell is Ballard when you need him?
He's exactly where we need him.

Old
08-11-2005, 04:40 PM
Slapshot17

Quote:

Good luck with that..
Whatever!!! It doesn't matter who's in the lineup, We're still going to beat Ottawa in the playoffs. It's the one thing that is guaranteed every year.

Old
08-11-2005, 04:42 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapie
Indeed Loadie. If all things work out, we're a pretty bad ass team, if things all fail, we're in the cellar. I have a feeling the results will be somewhere in the middle of it all.
That could be quite true. You know, I might be one sick puppy, but I actually like to see teams compete against each other when each team can bring all of their best players. It takes something away from the game when each teams better players are injured. I hope that you bring your best to the table when you play the Habs, then there won't be any excuses on either side about the outcome.

Old
08-11-2005, 04:52 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Oh, forgot to add to my post above (like it wasn't long enough already!):

I like putting Lindros on Sundin's right - who do opposing team's check? Sundin draws the heat in the middle, but he's super-durable, so he can handle the traffic (and as a result hopefully Lindros gets hit comparatively less). If as the defender you focus on Sundin, you leave a very dangerous Lindros and O'Neill down low. If you concentrate on Lindros, you leave O'Neill down low and Sundin in the slot. I just know that if I were a defender facing this troika, I wouldn't be terribly happy.

For that matter, if Stajan brings more of what he showed us last time out, I'm liking the looks of the second unit, too. Being reunited with Allison and playing in his home town should do wonders for Carter (I'm not talking 70 points or anything, but a solid turn-around from his last, trade-plagued season). And Stajan has shown he has the creativity and drive to make things happen. Plus, this unit generally would not be facing the opposition's best defensive pairing, so they'd likely find themselves with more room to move.

Antropov and Poni have showed chemistry in the past, but I think they still ened a veteran presence, which is why I don't promote Tucker to the second line - we need him more here, causing trouble for the opposition's top line. I actually like the looks of this, since I think Tucker would inspire a more physical presence from the twin towers, and they'll score the odd goal or two.

Kilger and Domi... regardless of who you put in the middle, this is meant to just be a banging energy line, nothing more - a classic 4th line. I can see Quinn rotating pretty evenly through the top three units, but most nights I'd expect these guys to get maybe half the ice time of the other units, and then just to provide some fresh legs when the others are tired from extended speical teams play (which we can expect a lot of, both for and against, if they really do enforce the new rules).

My $0.02 (which isn't enough for even a thimble full of gas these days...)

Oh, and hi Timlap. I've been away a while, was pretty jaded with the whole NHL thing, but I'm starting to feel the beat again. Hope you're well.

Old
08-11-2005, 04:52 PM
ProctorSilex

Congrats Toronto, I don't think he'll let you down. I'm just pissed I have to buy a Lindros Leafs jersey to complete the collection. It'll never hit my back though.

Old
08-11-2005, 04:55 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadie
That could be quite true. You know, I might be one sick puppy, but I actually like to see teams compete against each other when each team can bring all of their best players. It takes something away from the game when each teams better players are injured. I hope that you bring your best to the table when you play the Habs, then there won't be any excuses on either side about the outcome.

You are indeed one sick puppy.

Kiding, of course. I think any serious fan would agree with you on this: we'd all rather see a great loss than a crappy win, and playing with the best players is a good way to have a great game.

Old
08-11-2005, 05:00 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
This was the biggest middle finger that a player can give a fan, me being a Flyers fan. Good luck in TO Lindros.

Old
08-11-2005, 05:12 PM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones
Oh, forgot to add to my post above (like it wasn't long enough already!):

I like putting Lindros on Sundin's right - . . .
I like the idea of Sundin and Lindros playing together too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones
Oh, and hi Timlap. I've been away a while, was pretty jaded with the whole NHL thing, but I'm starting to feel the beat again. Hope you're well.
Welcome back!

I've been wondering where you got to. I was gone for a long time too, but returned when it sounded like a CBA agreement was near.

Old
08-11-2005, 05:16 PM
Scoogs

Lindros looks like he is on the verge of crying.

OMG I'm happy about this signing.

Closed Thread