HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brandon Pirri dealt to Florida for a 3rd (2014) & a 5th (2016)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-26-2014, 05:17 PM
  #426
Easton Modano Curve
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,039
vCash: 500
1. I like Brandon Pirri.
2. I don't think he was a good fit for the Hawks given where he is in his development, coupled with the Hawks needs as an organization, coupled with TT in the pipeline.

We know Pirri can score; he led the American Hockey League in scoring, so thats not in question, assistant general manager Mike Santos said. We want him to play a complete game, win faceoffs, play up against the bigger centers. Those are things which will decide whether hes a real good NHL center or just someone who can score. But he has nine goals already. Give him credit for that.
http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/03/2...e-brandon.html
-Peter Horachek, Head Coach Florida Panthers

No matter what line hes on, we know what hes capable of, Quenneville said shortly before that demotion. We want him to progress defensively. Offensively we know hes going to be fine.
http://voices.suntimes.com/sports/in...ice-show-trip/
-Joel Quenneville

Two NHL coaches, pretty much the exact same assessment which you can confirm if you read more. I don't know why we're all holding onto Brandon Pirri so much.

The book on him is that he is good on offense and working on defense. The Hawks decided they didn't want him working that out at the NHL level as the #2 center on the roster. Brandon Pirri doesn't have the grit or make up to hide on wing or in the bottom 6. Brandon Pirri asked for a trade and it was granted.

Personally, Pirri is old news to me. I'm excited about TT!

Easton Modano Curve is offline  
Old
03-26-2014, 06:43 PM
  #427
WarriorofTime
Registered User
 
WarriorofTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail1LO View Post
Handzus is as one dimensional as Pirri. Pirri may not have any defense about him, but Handzus' only offense comes from whatever his linemates serve up to him. He doesn't create jack. I can't imagine Teravainen is going to step into the 2C hole and provide much more defense, given his size and frame, than Pirri did.
The Hawks are the highest scoring team in the league. Pirri simply wasn't needed there and his lack of defensive game kept him out of the lineup.

WarriorofTime is offline  
Old
03-26-2014, 06:46 PM
  #428
Retail1LO
Registered User
 
Retail1LO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 5,371
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Dylan Olsen and Brandon Pirri are 2 of only 7 Florida Panthers who do not have a negative +/-. Olsen has 35 games under his belt with the club, Pirri just 12.

For being a young player whose defensive game just isn't up to snuff, he's not doing too badly in that department playing for a Panthers team that gives up the 4th most goals in the entire league.

Retail1LO is offline  
Old
03-26-2014, 07:34 PM
  #429
SLarmer28
Registered User
 
SLarmer28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Oh god...I am so sick of these "let's put skill players in Bollig's spot" posts.
Yup!

Chicago Blackhawks fan don't know how good Brandon Bollig is compared to former fourth line left wing stiffs:

David Koci
Ben Eager (Captain Concussion)
John Scott/Jordan Hendry (LOL!)
Danny Carcillo (Car Bomb)

SLarmer28 is offline  
Old
03-26-2014, 09:35 PM
  #430
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail1LO View Post
Dylan Olsen and Brandon Pirri are 2 of only 7 Florida Panthers who do not have a negative +/-. Olsen has 35 games under his belt with the club, Pirri just 12.

For being a young player whose defensive game just isn't up to snuff, he's not doing too badly in that department playing for a Panthers team that gives up the 4th most goals in the entire league.
+/- is mostly useless. There are times when he can tell a small part of the story, but it's otherwise useless.

Olsen has been very solid for the Panthers. Pirri's been hot-and-cold scoring, but that's not telling to his all-round game, which obviously needs work.

HockeySensible is offline  
Old
03-26-2014, 09:41 PM
  #431
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail1LO View Post
Handzus is as one dimensional as Pirri. Pirri may not have any defense about him, but Handzus' only offense comes from whatever his linemates serve up to him. He doesn't create jack. I can't imagine Teravainen is going to step into the 2C hole and provide much more defense, given his size and frame, than Pirri did.
Pirri didn't create jack either. Once again, everything falls back to what you're doing when you're not getting/creating chances, and with Pirri, the answer is nothing. He does absolutely nothing for your team.

This is probably hyperbole (actually, maybe not), but Teravainen had 3-4 great defensive plays in the last game.. and 2 of them lead to good offensive chances the other way. I can't remember Pirri creating many turnovers or making too many defensive stops with Chicago.

Beyond that, Teravainen got back on defense quickly, was aware of threats and identified his man quicky - and that's with, what, 1 practise with the team?

HockeySensible is offline  
Old
03-27-2014, 06:24 AM
  #432
Marotte Marauder
Registered User
 
Marotte Marauder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeySensible View Post
Pirri didn't create jack either. Once again, everything falls back to what you're doing when you're not getting/creating chances, and with Pirri, the answer is nothing. He does absolutely nothing for your team.

This is probably hyperbole (actually, maybe not), but Teravainen had 3-4 great defensive plays in the last game.. and 2 of them lead to good offensive chances the other way. I can't remember Pirri creating many turnovers or making too many defensive stops with Chicago.

Beyond that, Teravainen got back on defense quickly, was aware of threats and identified his man quicky - and that's with, what, 1 practise with the team?
Of course you didn't.

Did you miss the +/- bonus clause in the Saad thread? Ya, nobody uses it.

Marotte Marauder is online now  
Old
03-31-2014, 07:41 PM
  #433
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 117,132
vCash: 157
Pirri hasn't registered a pt in 6 games and is currently playing lowest TOI tonight for Panthers

Blackhawkswincup is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 09:06 PM
  #434
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 117,132
vCash: 157
The fall of Marty B continues

Pirri nets goal ,, Still not producing well lately for Panthers

Blackhawkswincup is offline  
Old
03-31-2014, 11:48 PM
  #435
SLarmer28
Registered User
 
SLarmer28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,857
vCash: 500
Brandon Pirri, Florida Panthers:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id...vid=nhl-search

15 GP, 4 G, 4 A, 8 Points, -3 +/- Rating

Not exactly earth shattering.

The question is will the other shoe fall. While Handzus continues to do nothing on the ice, Jeremy Morin rots in the press box and Peter Regin plays wing.

SLarmer28 is offline  
Old
04-01-2014, 07:14 AM
  #436
Marotte Marauder
Registered User
 
Marotte Marauder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Pirri hasn't registered a pt in 6 games and is currently playing lowest TOI tonight for Panthers
Are you also keeping a TTometer counting down until he dents the scoresheet?

Marotte Marauder is online now  
Old
04-01-2014, 07:18 AM
  #437
Kurtosis
COYS
 
Kurtosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Norwood Park
Country: United States
Posts: 18,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
Are you also keeping a TTometer counting down until he dents the scoresheet?
Are you actually comparing the situations?

Kurtosis is online now  
Old
04-01-2014, 07:27 AM
  #438
Marotte Marauder
Registered User
 
Marotte Marauder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
Are you actually comparing the situations?
Yup, one supposedly made the other expendable.

Maybe you'd prefer to compare Pirri's first 5 game stint in 2011-2012?

Marotte Marauder is online now  
Old
04-01-2014, 07:28 AM
  #439
Hawkscap
Registered User
 
Hawkscap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,888
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLarmer28 View Post
Brandon Pirri, Florida Panthers:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id...vid=nhl-search

15 GP, 4 G, 4 A, 8 Points, -3 +/- Rating

Not exactly earth shattering.

The question is will the other shoe fall. While Handzus continues to do nothing on the ice, Jeremy Morin rots in the press box and Peter Regin plays wing.
Handzus last 15 gp
0 G 4 A -1

Regin 13GP
2G 2A +3

Shaw last 15

5G 5A +/- 0

Hawkscap is offline  
Old
04-01-2014, 07:39 AM
  #440
Kurtosis
COYS
 
Kurtosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Norwood Park
Country: United States
Posts: 18,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
Yup, one supposedly made the other expendable.

Maybe you'd prefer to compare Pirri's first 5 game stint in 2011-2012?
No, I wouldn't. I would prefer not to make such asinine comparisons at all when discussing two vastly different players and situations.

Kurtosis is online now  
Old
04-01-2014, 08:12 AM
  #441
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 26,091
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
Yup, one supposedly made the other expendable.

Maybe you'd prefer to compare Pirri's first 5 game stint in 2011-2012?
Five games is definitely a big enough sample size to draw meaningful conclusions from.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline  
Old
04-01-2014, 08:22 AM
  #442
Marotte Marauder
Registered User
 
Marotte Marauder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
No, I wouldn't. I would prefer not to make such asinine comparisons at all when discussing two vastly different players and situations.
Both are rookies trying fill the 2C position, that is what is being evaluated.

Marotte Marauder is online now  
Old
04-01-2014, 08:23 AM
  #443
Marotte Marauder
Registered User
 
Marotte Marauder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Five games is definitely a big enough sample size to draw meaningful conclusions from.

Just trying to keep the TT buzz below sonic boom levels.

Marotte Marauder is online now  
Old
04-01-2014, 08:27 AM
  #444
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 26,091
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
The TT hype was starting to get annoying, but I understand people's excitement. He's at least shown flashes of hands/vision that make it clear he's not just another Kruger we're going to pigeon hole into the second line.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline  
Old
04-01-2014, 08:30 AM
  #445
BobbyJet
HFB Partner
 
BobbyJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dundas, Ontario. Can
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Five games is definitely a big enough sample size to draw meaningful conclusions from.
Absolutely right, but some already had strong (negative) opinions about Pirri and his potential after a handful of games, including Q. TT will surely have a much longer leash from all of those folks, again, including Q.

BobbyJet is offline  
Old
04-01-2014, 08:33 AM
  #446
BobbyJet
HFB Partner
 
BobbyJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dundas, Ontario. Can
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
The TT hype was starting to get annoying, but I understand people's excitement. He's at least shown flashes of hands/vision that make it clear he's not just another Kruger we're going to pigeon hole into the second line.
No doubt, there's lots to be excited about. His skills far exceed Krugers, however, it his slight frame that could hold him back. He looks like he's 160 lbs soaking wet.

BobbyJet is offline  
Old
04-01-2014, 09:09 AM
  #447
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 26,091
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Absolutely right, but some already had strong (negative) opinions about Pirri and his potential after a handful of games, including Q. TT will surely have a much longer leash from all of those folks, again, including Q.
Preaching to the head of the choir. I've wanted Pirri up for two years.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline  
Old
04-01-2014, 09:12 AM
  #448
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
Are you also keeping a TTometer counting down until he dents the scoresheet?
Yup, the TTometer says TT can handle himself defensively when not scoring, where as BP was wondering around like a lost puppy.

Hawkaholic is online now  
Old
04-01-2014, 09:28 AM
  #449
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 26,091
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Yup, the TTometer says TT can handle himself defensively when not scoring, where as BP was wondering around like a lost puppy.
Except no he wasn't.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline  
Old
04-01-2014, 09:32 AM
  #450
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Except no he wasn't.
But he was. That's why he played so little here, and in Florida.

Hawkaholic is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.