HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brandon Pirri dealt to Florida for a 3rd (2014) & a 5th (2016)

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2014, 12:05 PM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men

vCash: 500
I sit on both sides of this fence. Clearly the Hawks organization and particularly Quenneville did not see Pirri as the answer to the 2C problem (though I still believe that the situations in which Pirri was played were not fully conducive to his achieving any real measure of success within the employed system). Pirri was only adequate at the defensive end, and he was not offensively skilled enough (in his limited run) on this team to let that inadequacy slide.

As he was not really going to get a real look on this team, the only other option was to trade him. Good for Pirri to realize the obvious, and good on the Hawks for accommodating him. Our return was only adequate given historical data on draft picks from the third and fifth rounds actually making and contributing for any length of time in the NHL

While a prospect such as Pirri will more than likely will play more than a few years in the NHL given his offensive talent and reasonable success at the AHL level, the Hawks devalued their asset this year, and likely would have received more by either trading him earlier, or by packaging him with a pick to get a better player.

Old
03-04-2014, 01:17 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Pirri is worth more than Bryz

Old
03-04-2014, 01:20 PM
Cullksinikers

Fasth just got dealt for the same deal.

Fire Bowman!

NOT.

Old
03-04-2014, 01:53 PM
monochrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
Fasth just got dealt for the same deal.

Fire Bowman!

NOT.
Yeah looking at what Fasth went for---granted you have to take into account hes been injured---this is looking like a steal for Bowman and co.

We can't even reflect back on this next year because Pirri wanted to be gone. So this is a bonafide win for Chicago

Old
03-05-2014, 02:50 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Pirri being overvauled as usual.

If a player on another team who is considered a good prospect by that team but can't stay on the NHL club was traded to us for a 3rd and 5th we'd be screaming about getting robbed. But the other way and we are still getting robbed.

We got for him what we got for Frolik, the return is fine.

People complaining about him not getting a shot aren't thinking in terms of the real world.

The Hawks of now aren't the Hawks of 5+ years ago. Now as a cup contending team every year you can't just decided to give a young player 3 months or so to figure it out. You call the kid up and if he can play he sticks, look at Saad, if not we can't afford to continue to give a roster spot to a kid and hope he figures it out as he continue to takes a space form a guy who can help the team win now.

Fact is Pirri was called up many times and even put in some very favorable positions to succeed but he didn't. You can come up with every qualifier as to why but he didn't. Other who were given a shot did, Saad was an obvious NHL player from day one of being called up, Kruger found a role and filled it out nicely. Pirri was never able to do that. With more talented players behind him he became expendable and getting what we got for him is more then fair.

Now he can go to a team who can give him those 3 months and see if he really can be an everyday NHL player.

I wish him the best but the Hawks gave him a fair chance in their situation and got fair value in return.

Old
03-05-2014, 07:48 PM
WarriorofTime
HFBoards Sponsor

This is why it's good to have NCAA prospects taking their time to develop there for 4 years before they turn pro. Pirri's not an NHL player by 23 which means he's gotta go due to waiver exemption status. He may be an NHL player by the time he's 25, though.

For guys that don't turn pro until 22 that gives them until they're about 25-26 before they're waiver-exempt. See Ben Smith. I hope the Hawks keep drafting players that go the college hockey route (and hopefully stick unlike Pirri and Clendening) to really take their time.

As long as the Hawks are good, rosters spots will be hard to come by.

Old
03-07-2014, 11:13 AM
Illinihockey

Bowman on the Score today pretty much said Pirri had to make the team next year or pass through waivers, more or less said TT is better and would have beat him out. Thats why they moved him.

Old
03-07-2014, 11:21 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Bowman on the Score today pretty much said Pirri had to make the team next year or pass through waivers, more or less said TT is better and would have beat him out. Thats why they moved him.
Anyone willing to say he was wrong?

Old
03-07-2014, 11:32 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Anyone willing to say he was wrong?
Can't fault the logic. Maybe you could make the claim that Pirri's more ready come training camp for NHL ice immediately when compared to Teravainen who might have an adjustment period, but beyond that I definitely agree that TT's got a brighter future and more upside if things go well than Pirri.

Nerd, don't estimate all humanity by the limits of your own capability. - Steve Smith, Professor of History, University of China, IL
Old
03-08-2014, 08:59 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I'd already take Teräväinen over Pirri. Even with the lacking NA experience. Teräväinen almost finished his 2nd Pro season

Old
03-08-2014, 11:15 AM
Central PA Hawk Fan

I just don't think the Hawks saw Pirri as an organizational type prospect, it was just a bonus that they have a guy they like better coming up through the system as well. IMO, Pirri will be one of those guys that looks good and puts up points on bad teams but isn't a guy good teams covet.

Old
03-09-2014, 12:19 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

[QUOTE=Central PA Hawk Fan;81332717]I just don't think the Hawks saw Pirri as an organizational type prospect, it was just a bonus that they have a guy they like better coming up through the system as well. IMO, Pirri will be one of those guys that looks good and puts up points on bad teams but isn't a guy good teams covet.[/QUOTE]

That sounds convenient. Not sure how you can come to such a conclusion based on what .... 40 NHL games? Even Q himself (at one point) said Pirri makes things happen out there, then proceeded to stifle his play for a good deal of his stint here. I think it is more obvious to all now, that after a dynamite start, Kane is mired in a pretty bad slump and he wasn't much better with Pirri as his centerman. Perhaps Q jumped the gun and assumed Pirri was one of the reasons that Kane and Versteeg were so ineffective at even strength. Anyway it's too late now; I'm pretty sure Tallon believes he stole Pirri from us, but only time will tell... as no one really knows what Pirri can do at the NHL level.

Old
03-09-2014, 04:20 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
That sounds convenient. Not sure how you can come to such a conclusion based on what .... 40 NHL games? Even Q himself (at one point) said Pirri makes things happen out there, then proceeded to stifle his play for a good deal of his stint here. I think it is more obvious to all now, that after a dynamite start, Kane is mired in a pretty bad slump and he wasn't much better with Pirri as his centerman. Perhaps Q jumped the gun and assumed Pirri was one of the reasons that Kane and Versteeg were so ineffective at even strength. Anyway it's too late now; I'm pretty sure Tallon believes he stole Pirri from us, but only time will tell... as no one really knows what Pirri can do at the NHL level.
Please. Don't talk about things sounding "convenient" and then post the same ******** that all Pirri supporters post. Q didn't stifle Pirri. Pirri played 70%+ of his shifts on a line with Kane, and got PP time before the Versteeg trade. He was given plenty of opportunity to prove himself at this level.

If his game had something other than offense to fall on, he would have continued on with the Hawks. The fact of Pirri is this: When he's not scoring or creating chances (both of which he was unable to do with Chicago after a hot start), he is contributing absolutely nothing to your team. Nothing.

At least Handzus can play on the PK and be responsible defensively. He's not going to create a lot offensively, but Pirri was creating jack ****, so what's the difference? One guy you don't have to shelter, and the other guy you do.

But it's more likely that Q never gave Pirri a "fair" or "real" shot because he doesn't like him. Yeah, that makes sense.

Old
03-09-2014, 04:52 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
I won't get sucked into this again I won't get sucked into this again I won't get sucked into this again

Old
03-09-2014, 06:19 PM
SLarmer28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
I won't get sucked into this again I won't get sucked into this again I won't get sucked into this again

Old
03-09-2014, 09:02 PM
Marotte Marauder

Boy, Zus and Regin have already made me forget about Pirri with their stellar play.

Now if TT isn't ready or is too frail for small ice play against the big boys...

Not too much pressure being placed on the kid.

Old
03-09-2014, 09:08 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
At least we have the cup run to remember Handzus for ,, As of now Pirri is Kontiola 2.0

Old
03-09-2014, 09:20 PM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
At least we have the cup run to remember Handzus for ,, As of now Pirri is Kontiola 2.0

One can cling to that, but it's not about to be repeated.

Old
03-09-2014, 09:25 PM
Hawkscap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Kontiola got the shaft here too. He has done pretty well since he left.

Old
03-09-2014, 09:33 PM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeySensible View Post
Please. Don't talk about things sounding "convenient" and then post the same ******** that all Pirri supporters post. Q didn't stifle Pirri. Pirri played 70%+ of his shifts on a line with Kane, and got PP time before the Versteeg trade. He was given plenty of opportunity to prove himself at this level.

If his game had something other than offense to fall on, he would have continued on with the Hawks. The fact of Pirri is this: When he's not scoring or creating chances (both of which he was unable to do with Chicago after a hot start), he is contributing absolutely nothing to your team. Nothing.

At least Handzus can play on the PK and be responsible defensively. He's not going to create a lot offensively, but Pirri was creating jack ****, so what's the difference? One guy you don't have to shelter, and the other guy you do.

But it's more likely that Q never gave Pirri a "fair" or "real" shot because he doesn't like him. Yeah, that makes sense.
Amazing how down you are on Pirri but think Rundblad just needs a little confidence.

Old
03-10-2014, 11:31 AM
Cullksinikers

Zero points in three games so far. Not making judgments or projections.

Old
03-10-2014, 11:39 AM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
Zero points in three games so far. Not making judgments or projections.
Yesterday's game was his first in the lineup.

Old
03-10-2014, 11:48 AM
Teemu

vCash: 470
No, he has played all 3 games. Pretty mixed reviews so far, based on the Florida GDTs.

Old
03-10-2014, 11:49 AM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
No, he has played all 3 games. Pretty mixed reviews so far, based on the Florida GDTs.
I didn't see his name in the box score for the first two games. My mistake. Wasn't listed with the skaters the first two games. Listed in the Buffalo game with this 7:38 in ice time.

EDIT: I thought we were talking about Rundblad. My mistake.

Last edited by Blue Liner: 03-10-2014 at 11:59 AM.
Old
03-10-2014, 11:53 AM
ChiGuySez
#Team GammaRayBurst

Not going to micro analyze Pirri but it will be interesting to see where he is over the next 2 years. I refuse to believe he goes the way of Brandon Bochenski but thats also a possibility. I wish him well and am glad hes getting his chance with Florida.

Closed Thread