HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade / Roster Speculation Thread XXVIII: All the #1C's!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-03-2014, 11:20 AM
  #376
drewcon40
Registered User
 
drewcon40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: born LI, live SI
Posts: 844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
What's amazing to me is that Sather nickle and dimed Stepan who put up an almost point per game season last year and was one of the biggest reasons we even made the playoffs, but Callahan gets the vault. And he was right probably not to overpay Stepan, but where's the consistency?
Snowblind - I agree. He had to nickel and dime him because of the limited cap space. Which will be even more of a problem if the Rangers commit long term here.

drewcon40 is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 11:21 AM
  #377
Chief
Registered User
 
Chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: NY, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
We've lost with Callahan, we can lose without him.
They've lost more playoff rounds with Lundqvist than with Callahan.

My point being your statement is meaningless.

Chief is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 11:22 AM
  #378
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,019
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40 View Post
Snowblind - I agree. He had to nickel and dime him because of the limited cap space. Which will be even more of a problem if the Rangers commit long term here.
He nickeled and dimed him because he had the leverage to do so. Stepan was a RFA. Callahan is a UFA. That's a big difference.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 11:23 AM
  #379
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
They've lost more playoff rounds with Lundqvist than with Callahan.

My point being your statement is meaningless.
I think your point is that you have no point.

We are talking about a hall of famer vs. a good heart and soul guy.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 11:23 AM
  #380
SixGoalieSystem
HFBoards Sponsor
 
SixGoalieSystem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Trondheim
Posts: 2,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
I seriously don't know what people think we're trading a UFA Callahan for.

We're not getting MSL. It's a pipe dream. Get over it.
We don't need to trade him for MSL for it to be worth shipping him out with the contract he's asking for. Get a couple of 2nds and I'll be fine with it.

SixGoalieSystem is online now  
Old
03-03-2014, 11:24 AM
  #381
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHB View Post
Clarkson only had one 20+ goal season, I don't know that I'd consider him a 25-30 goal scorer.

That's like saying Brian Boyle is a 20 goal scorer.
dont say things like this, next we will hear Brian Boyle to wear the C when and if Callahan leaves

Punxrocknyc19* is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 11:24 AM
  #382
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,863
vCash: 500
Honestly, at least this small faction of fans here at HF, will already resent Callahan no matter what if he ends up staying, because of this whole saga. If we announce a 6x6 deal with three year NTC/three year NMC like Girardi got, will anyone here be happy the next time they see him on the ice besides the few who can't bear to see him go? I will feel no sense of relief or satisfaction that our once fan favorite, homegrown captain is locked up. Just regret and disgust. That's sad.

SERE 24 is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 11:25 AM
  #383
jskramer83
Registered User
 
jskramer83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Agreed. Im not a fan of the terms, but lets not act like this contract alone will hamstring the Rangers from being a contender for years to come.

Sather will do that with a series of other moves.

100% and this is exactly what makes this so scary. If Callahan will be getting this much, what is Zuccarello going to get, what is kreider going to get, what is stepan going to get?

They are going to be saying," hey if you paid Callahan this much our guys who are younger and have more of a future with the team and already producing better them him should get more."

The ripple effect will be devastating

jskramer83 is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 11:25 AM
  #384
Bullseyes
Registered User
 
Bullseyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
They've lost more playoff rounds with Lundqvist than with Callahan.

My point being your statement is meaningless.
Lundqvist is an elite player, Callahan isn't anywhere close to that.

Very predictable that Sather and the Rangers would re-sign Callahan if they wind up doing so. The contract will be terrible sooner rather than later. He's just not worth anywhere near the money or term that they want to give him, let alone that he's looking for.

Bullseyes is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 11:25 AM
  #385
I Am Classless
Registered User
 
I Am Classless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Falkland Islands
Posts: 1,947
vCash: 500
Keeping Callahan on those terms is such nakedly, obviously terrible decision making that I feel like I'm watching a really slowly moving horror movie. If we keep Cally and Richards, we are going to be a bad team for a long time. There's not a chance in hell of "Gomezing" either one of those deals.

I Am Classless is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 11:26 AM
  #386
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,931
vCash: 500
The deal isn't done yet, so, unless you are a Keynesian, don't go round breaking windows until its official.

Fitzy is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 11:26 AM
  #387
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SERE 24 View Post
Honestly, at least this small faction of fans here at HF, will already resent Callahan no matter what if he ends up staying, because of this whole saga. If we announce a 6x6 deal with three year NTC/three year NMC like Girardi got, will anyone here be happy the next time they see him on the ice besides the few who can't bear to see him go? I will feel no sense of relief or satisfaction that our once fan favorite, homegrown captain is locked up. Just regret and disgust. That's sad.
Yea, it is.

Its also sad how emotional fans get when it comes to contract negotiations.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 11:28 AM
  #388
AHB
Registered User
 
AHB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Thats an awfully simplistic view.

The constant mediocrity is due to the dependency of having to hand out these big contracts to every player that hits the market.

The reality of why this team is mired in mediocrity is actually much deeper and scarier than big money mistakes.
As if it's not a major part of it? Sure it's not the sole reason, but it's one of the major reasons, if not the leading cause for our mediocrity.

We overpay for guys who don't perform. Callahan will be another one of those.

AHB is online now  
Old
03-03-2014, 11:29 AM
  #389
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
The deal isn't done yet, so, unless you are a Keynesian, don't go round breaking windows until its official.
There is still the possibility that this is an attempt to up trade offers by making Callahan seem to be off the market or damn close.

__________________
"Here we can see the agression of american people. They love fighting and guns. when they wont win they try to kill us all." -HalfOfFame
HatTrick Swayze is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 11:30 AM
  #390
AHB
Registered User
 
AHB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40 View Post
Snowblind - I agree. He had to nickel and dime him because of the limited cap space. Which will be even more of a problem if the Rangers commit long term here.
RFA vs. UFA.

Sather gets the RFA part, he doesn't get the UFA part.

AHB is online now  
Old
03-03-2014, 11:30 AM
  #391
jskramer83
Registered User
 
jskramer83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,097
vCash: 500
Let's say Callahan comes out and signs a 5.8 million over 6 year contract, would you look at him like a hero for taking a discount off his ridiculous demands, and signing a contract that he should get?

jskramer83 is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 11:30 AM
  #392
drewcon40
Registered User
 
drewcon40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: born LI, live SI
Posts: 844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
He nickeled and dimed him because he had the leverage to do so. Stepan was a RFA. Callahan is a UFA. That's a big difference.
Of course Singn, you're right. This past summer, I recall being nervous because McDonagh, Stepan, Zuccarello and Hagelin were all up for contracts (IIRC).

I actually thought some of those players above sans McDonagh (along with Boyle, Powe and Pyatt) would be moved to recoup the draft picks lost in the Clowe and Nash deals.

Jersey - I apologize I asked you earlier and didn't know if you responded. Do you think Sather can acquire a 1st for Callahan?

drewcon40 is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 11:30 AM
  #393
Wamsutta
I'm Glen Sather IRL
 
Wamsutta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 352
vCash: 500
I have to imagine nobody out there is offering Glen anything at all for Callahan for him to still be considering this signing.

Wamsutta is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 11:31 AM
  #394
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHB View Post
As if it's not a major part of it? Sure it's not the sole reason, but it's one of the major reasons, if not the leading cause for our mediocrity.

We overpay for guys who don't perform. Callahan will be another one of those.
The Rangers can't seem to get their hands on forwards that perform. That goes much, much, much deeper than handing out big contracts which, truth be told, hasn't really gotten them into any fatal cap issues.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 11:31 AM
  #395
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,674
vCash: 500
What's this hemsky rumour? I see nothing

Also it's funny that to start the yr everyone would want Cally back now their may be a riot lol

Vitto79 is online now  
Old
03-03-2014, 11:31 AM
  #396
Ail
k.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 18,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SERE 24 View Post
Honestly, at least this small faction of fans here at HF, will already resent Callahan no matter what if he ends up staying, because of this whole saga. If we announce a 6x6 deal with three year NTC/three year NMC like Girardi got, will anyone here be happy the next time they see him on the ice besides the few who can't bear to see him go? I will feel no sense of relief or satisfaction that our once fan favorite, homegrown captain is locked up. Just regret and disgust. That's sad.
Yeah I don't particularly like harboring negative feelings towards a guy who has done some great things here, even if I didn't always care for his bland captaincy. However my personal vision of what I'd like to see this team move towards does not include Ryan Callahan on a long term contract, even at a decent dollar value. I won't cheer against the guy but it will leave a sour taste in my mouth especially as the contract wears on.

That said, I'm still hopeful this is a horse and pony show to make it seem like both sides tried to reach a deal, but Sather ultimately moves him.

__________________

rip
Ail is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 11:32 AM
  #397
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jskramer83 View Post
Let's say Callahan comes out and signs a 5.8 million over 6 year contract, would you look at him like a hero for taking a discount off his ridiculous demands, and signing a contract that he should get?
Let's be honest fans on this board would

Vitto79 is online now  
Old
03-03-2014, 11:32 AM
  #398
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers
 
Ih8theislanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bronx,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,614
vCash: 500
This is gonna be terrible. Unlike some of our UFA deals in the past which looked like they would be terrible toward the end, this is gonna be brutal from the beginning. Please trade the man.

Ih8theislanders is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 11:33 AM
  #399
AHB
Registered User
 
AHB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jskramer83 View Post
100% and this is exactly what makes this so scary. If Callahan will be getting this much, what is Zuccarello going to get, what is kreider going to get, what is stepan going to get?

They are going to be saying," hey if you paid Callahan this much our guys who are younger and have more of a future with the team and already producing better them him should get more."

The ripple effect will be devastating
Yep, I know people think I'm saying the sole reason is Cally's contract, but no, it's the fact that other guys, who deserve more, will either

A) Get it from us or
B) Leave us when they actually deserve it because we can't afford them.

Callahan will end up being one of our top 5-7 paid players over the next 6 years, when in reality, he's already outside of the top 5 most important to this team, and arguably, not even top 10 most important anymore.

Again, he may be worth that hit to Buffalo and by all means, go get it, I won't hold any ill will against him, but to us, that is absurd and creates a never-ending circle that will haunt us for years.

What about when:

Zucc
Kreider
Stepan
Brassard
Hagelin
Staal
Miller

Etc, all need raises during his contract?

AHB is online now  
Old
03-03-2014, 11:34 AM
  #400
jskramer83
Registered User
 
jskramer83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Let's be honest fans on this board would
I would 100% be on board with this, my question is would you view him as a hero for taking a "hometown discount" or would you just view this as a guy getting the contract he deserves.

Personally I'd view this as a brilliant negotiation job done by Steve Bartlet

jskramer83 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.