HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade / Roster Speculation Thread XXVIII: All the #1C's!

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2014, 07:54 AM
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

vCash: 500
When he was drafted the Rangers thought Dylan would take YEARS to develop and get to the NHL. "Bust" etc... is very premature.

Old
03-03-2014, 07:55 AM
Dr. Ogrodnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
When he was drafted the Rangers thought Dylan would take YEARS to develop and get to the NHL. "Bust" etc... is very premature.
It was premature a year or two ago, now its maturing rapidly.

Old
03-03-2014, 07:56 AM
Nightshift

The trade market for Callahan just doesn't seem to be much. Even as a rental, you'd have several teams lining up if he was the player he was even just 2-3 years ago. I agree he is worth more to this team then in a trade, but overall his value is nowhere near what some believe it to be.

Old
03-03-2014, 07:57 AM
Dr. Ogrodnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshift View Post
The trade market for Callahan just doesn't seem to be much. Even as a rental, you'd have several teams lining up if he was the player he was even just 2-3 years ago. I agree he is worth more to this team then in a trade, but overall his value is nowhere near what some believe it to be.
But at what point does his contract become big enough to negate his value?

Old
03-03-2014, 07:58 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ogrodnick View Post
Is he a bust? Not yet.

Should we be concerned? Yes.
why should we be concerned?

This is his first full season as a pro as he was hurt last season.

He's not regressed.

2-3 years as an AHL defenceman / enforcer will season him alot better than forcing a square peg in a round hole.

I'll be concerned at the end of the 2014-15 season if the reports are that he's had no progression.

Not now. Not at all

Old
03-03-2014, 08:00 AM
DudMan28

I want nothing to do with Cally after this year. Time to move on from him. Appreciate everything you did for the franchise but signing him long term is signing on for more mediocrity. Teams dont win championships paying 3rd liners(on our depth chart) 6mil a year. Trade Cally for what you can get. I dont even care if Sather gets short changed. Let JT play 3RW for the rest of the year.

Old
03-03-2014, 08:00 AM
AHB*

Quote:
Right about when his agent said 6.7 was a DISCOUNT.

Old
03-03-2014, 08:01 AM
Traderalways

Quote:
NOW.... I just want him gone because in this case the gain is addition by subtraction... If All we can get is a 2nd and 3rd pick we have to do it... End of story and move on!!

Old
03-03-2014, 08:04 AM
drewcon40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjinx94 View Post
At this point, I have to agree, 6-6.5 million for him is ridiculous. I don't know, hopefully we can get St. Louis and if not, then a 1st rounder+roster player
JerseyJinx - I hope you're right. Do you think the Rangers could get a 1st for Callahan? I am a Rangers fan and I can't see a 1st. I'd love it but I thought a comparable trade would have been the Clowe trade last year where we surrendered the 2nd and 3rd. Plus circumstances always dictate what a GM will give up. I am pretty sure most GMs are aware of the situation and aren't going to give up much for a pending UFA. I hope you're right on that 1st.

Old
03-03-2014, 08:04 AM
Dr. Ogrodnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
why should we be concerned?

This is his first full season as a pro as he was hurt last season.

He's not regressed.

2-3 years as an AHL defenceman / enforcer will season him alot better than forcing a square peg in a round hole.

I'll be concerned at the end of the 2014-15 season if the reports are that he's had no progression.

Not now. Not at all
Because we have yet to see anything to indicate he has the footspeed to be a regular NHLer? Because blowing 10th overall picks on 3rd pair enforcers that seem to be often injured and struggle to look like NHLers at all is a bad way to run a team?

Drafting a guy for a need then expecting him to take at least 5 years to develop into an NHL player is insanity.

Old
03-03-2014, 08:05 AM
pld459666

Quote:
How do you know this?

because he hasn't been traded yet?

GM's wait until the last possible moment to make trades that are going to alter the chemistry of the club.

You don't rush out to trade your captain. As much out of respect for him as it is to make sure that you are talking to every team that HAS shown interest already, and to make sure that any johnny come lately's are able to make their pitch.

For a guy like Callahan, you negotiate until the 11th hour which means Wednesday at 2:55pm.

Old
AHB*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderalways View Post
NOW.... I just want him gone because in this case the gain is addition by subtraction... If All we can get is a 2nd and 3rd pick we have to do it... End of story and move on!!
Pretty much how I feel. If only because that 2nd rounder will put my mind at ease, knowing Sather won't try to resign him this off-season. If we keep him as a rental, you know they're going to work on a contract.

Trade him for whatever you can get, which I'm sure will still be a fairly decent haul as a rental (maybe late 1st) and move on.

JT isn't a replacement for our captain quite yet, but I have no problem rolling with his growing pains on the third line.

Old
Nightshift

Quote:
I would look to the production of players on the south side of 30 who are making comparable money to Callahans demands. IMO you don't need to look any further. Employing a high end shot blocker/pk'er for near front line money is not wise.

Old
03-03-2014, 08:08 AM
Dr. Ogrodnick

If anything, the last two games and the comments from the team after should remind us all that we are not really a contender this year so we should stop flirting with the idea of behaving like one and trade Cally for the best possible youthful return.

Old
03-03-2014, 08:08 AM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Ryan Callahan is not worth $6M per. I'm in the minority here but I don't believe Girardi is worth $5.5M per either. The Rangers need more offense. Brooks wrote how the Rangers personnel has shifted away from size and strength/straight line players in recent years. They need size and strength but they need more playmakers. Those guys are found in the draft. The size and strength is also found in the draft. Giving Callahan 6 years and close to $42M isn't solving that need. It was the same thing under Torts. The Rangers like the same move. They are afraid to make a bold move. It might drop them a few spots in the standings. They won't win anything.
Agree with the "bold move", just don't think the Rangers currently sit in a position to wait for draft picks to pan in 3-5 years..

Old
03-03-2014, 08:09 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Knows Best View Post
4 years since he was drafted and still isn't ready
Two major injuries and the kid has looked fantastic in ahl this season.. In baseball 21 is a baby in NYR fans minds 21 and a tough guy he sucks what a joke

Old
03-03-2014, 08:11 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

While the idea of bringing in MSL is attractive because he is such an exciting player, and would most def help with scoring goals, he is not really what the team needs in order to go deep in the playoffs and actually have a shot at The Cup.

As evidenced by the last 2 games, we still, STILL, do not have the size/physically punishing/intimidating types of players that can grind out wins in in an ECF.

We have some very good players, some who are actually BIG, some who are very tough, but no team fears us. No opposition defensemen are cowering in the corners when we forecheck. We do not give them pause that leads to mistakes on their part.

We will continue to have limited success in the playoffs.

Been saying this for about 8 years now. I don't understand why this is never adrressed. We make a feeble attempts at it with players like Clowe (hurt, bad contract), and Prust (too small, needed some help, let him go), but we never build with that in mind.

03-03-2014, 08:12 AM
HockeyBasedNYC
Back-checking Center

I really hope the Rangers make the right decision with Callahan. If they offered 6 / 36 im going to assume that they won't - which is disappointing. If they hold onto him, fine - just dont re-up him in the summer. At this point i'd rather keep Callahan as a rental and lose him for nothing than to give him that asinine contract.

We have several diehards here who all love Callahan for what he's done, but pretty much have all come to the consensus that he should be moved and the return doesnt even have to be a home run. It would be nice to get some substance back - at high pick, a prospect, a roster player, MSL (yeah right).

We'll see i guess. If he is extended its going to be awfully whiny around these parts.

Old
03-03-2014, 08:12 AM
Dr. Ogrodnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Two major injuries and the kid has looked fantastic in ahl this season.. In baseball 21 is a baby in NYR fans minds 21 and a tough guy he sucks what a joke
And baseball and hockey are completely comparable as sports as far as wear and tear on the body and career longevity...

Not to burst your bubble, but 2 major injuries before he's 21 is not a good thing...

Old
03-03-2014, 08:13 AM
Traderalways

Quote:
He's a month from 22... When do u suppose he will BREAK THRU???

Old
Nothing As It Seems
I only own my mind..

Quote:
I keep reading this line from people; the trade market isn't good for Callahan. How do you know? How many GMs do you talk to? Is the trade market also not good for Vanek, Moulson and every other player but Miller this year? For all you know there are three teams vying for Cally right now and Glen is trying to play them against one another, hoping to squeeze out an extra asset right down to the deadline.

Old
drewcon40

Quote:
Dagoon - not everyone. Dylan has been the pick I have been waiting for the most. I son't like doing the "should, coulda" debate regarding Fowler and Tarasenko. I can't wait until "The Undertaker" (although I heard he didn't care for that name) is a regular. At this point, I don't care where he was drafted. He fills a need and you're right, he's 21.

Old
03-03-2014, 08:19 AM
jerseyjinx94
I jinx players.

New York - Lack of immediate success = bust/scrub

Old
03-03-2014, 08:20 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjinx94 View Post
New York - Lack of immediate success = bust/scrub
Fair enough. What about a lack of progression?

03-03-2014, 08:21 AM
Nightshift

Quote:
Originally Posted by SERE 24 View Post
I keep reading this line from people; the trade market isn't good for Callahan. How do you know? How many GMs do you talk to? Is the trade market also not good for Vanek, Moulson and every other player but Miller this year? For all you know there are three teams vying for Cally right now and Glen is trying to play them against one another, hoping to squeeze out an extra asset right down to the deadline.
Its an opinion. I wasn't aware that required me speaking to a GM.

Closed Thread